Young Writers Society

an introduction

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:56 pm
View Likes
Meep says...

(Narcissist? Moi? Never.)

I'll try to keep this short, because I can be frightfully long-winded, for which I am browbeaten* by my English teacher every-other-day. (I have algebra 2 on the other day, you see.)

The college applications people said not to try and be funny if you aren't, and I'm not, so let's get to the point before I talk your ears off (type your eyes out?)!

Call me Meep, because my real name is boring. I'm seventeen (and a half, and then some), which means I won't be able to vote in the upcoming elections, as much as I'd like to. As you may have guessed, I like to write. (No, really!) I would say "I love to write," because that's true, but it sounds so cliché and it's so overused you can't help but wonder if it's true.

In case you haven't gathered, I'm frightfully pretentious. I drink tea and wear a hand knitted Ravenclaw scarf when it's cold. Being an Aquarius, and so, an air sign (ironic, no? the water bearer is an air sign, but whatever) it is my job in life to one-up everyone, and know everything. According to Born on a Rotten Day, the body part associated with Aquarius is ankles - "constantly twisted from turning on your heel and walking out the door," but those may not be her exact words.

(Okay, okay, in all seriousness, I'm really not usually this bad. Truth is, I'm just full of hot air. I swear I'm not usually this stuck-up, or this long winded.

... really.)

---
*figuratively, of couse - I'm not trying to start a lawsuit :wink:
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:59 pm
View Likes
Ares says...

How's this for long windedness?

Welcome.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:08 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

ah long windedness, foo! Toss out your inhibitions! (I wish I could...)

Welcome to the forum, if you need any help I'll be of assistance, though I suggest you don't ask me. I still don't know ALL the ins-and-outs (learning them, though!) but if you would like a critique I'll offer that help anytime, just pm me.

Good luck finding your way around, and making friends!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

210 Reviews

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:13 pm
View Likes
Meep says...

Thank you, both of you.

I swear to God I'm not usually that bad. :oops:
Last edited by Meep on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:18 pm
View Likes
Firestarter says...

Hey, welcome to the site.

You can ask me any questions, I've been here too long that I could probably answer pretty much every question you could ask.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

210 Reviews

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:24 pm
View Likes
Meep says...

Oh, good.

Actually, while I'm thinking about it - last time I signed up for a young writers' community, the TOS had some legal mumbo-jumbo that pretty much said anything I posted to their site became their property. I haven't seen anything to indicate that such is the case here, but I want to check before I go off posting my work.

164 Reviews

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:27 pm
View Likes
Ares says...

I think it addresses this when you sign up. It remains your property. I think it might count as being published when you post it though *looks at Jack*...

210 Reviews

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:29 pm
View Likes
Meep says...

I read through the Terms of Service before I registered, but I didn't see anything that lead me to believe one way or another. Thanks, though.

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:33 pm
View Likes
Incandescence says...

Hi Meep,

I'm a sagittarius, which explains why I'm suspicious of astrology.
Last edited by Incandescence on Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

164 Reviews

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:35 pm
View Likes
Ares says...

Oh, well, Firestarter (Jack) will know.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:06 pm
View Likes
Zion says...

Welcome aboard!

Narcisstic? pffft....theres no such thing as narcism, only self-respect. ;)
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:07 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

I don't think it makes the stories the forums property.

Although I do know if you plan to publish it/submit it to a contest you will want to either a) not post it or be b) take it down before hand. If its online its considered 'published' and a lot of publishers and companies would like to reserve the first publishing rights and this could sometimes make it a void. On old forums they had a suggestion just for this kind of stuff, after so many days/months the work was deleted from the system, because even if you remove it from the forum it is still in archives some where.

I'm not sure they have that kind of thread here...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:31 am
View Likes
Wiggy says...

Hey Meep! I commented in your blog and already told you loved your username! :D

I'm Wiggy, current insane member of YWS. lol I love writing too (we have something in common! :lol:), and you'll love it here. The writing's not only great, the people are great and the crits are great and the whole site is awesome!!!! You'll fit right in here and I know you'll love it.

If you have any questions or just want to talk, let me know! Just pm me or something...ttyl!

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:36 am
View Likes
Meshugenah says...

Nope! You retain all rights to your work. However, (not sure on this, but from what I've heard) publishing companies consider anything posted on the internet as "published" and won't look at it (or something to that extent. I don't know the mumbo-jumbo of that... but now I wish I did).

Er.. what Claudette said.

Anyhoo! Welcome to YWS! If you have any questions (or what to join the newly re-started YWS book club) PM me!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:10 am
View Likes
Prosithion says...

Hello, Meep. How are you?

I trust that you'll enjoy your stay with us?
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

The continuation of our world depends more on the survival of the kindest than it does on the survival of the fittest.
— Arcticus