z

Young Writers Society

Fand-tastic!

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:23 pm
Fand says...

Fireweed >> How could I not love Nickel Creek? Seriously... Chris' voice is enough to make me swoon! :D

Gyr >> Let me think about that one... :P :wink: :mrgreen:
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

381 Reviews

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:31 am
Fand says...

Update>>

I'm now a mentor! Go me!

:elephant:

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:22 am
Cassandra says...

Yay! *cheers* Congrats, Fand! :D
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

381 Reviews

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:42 pm
Fand says...

MORE ADVERTISING!

Check the Contests forum on the Community boards; I've got a new contest up there--Fand's First Fantastic Challenge (yes, I know, throw your tomatoes for the dreadful title). Winner gets 750 points and a month's worth of guaranteed, in-depth critiques on whatever is written within that time frame!

You know you want to. ;)

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:51 pm
Meshugenah says...

You play clarinet! I knew that... I think. I was concertmistress sophomore year (then then was ousted by this obnxious twit who thinks he's better than me... well, when I had braces he was, no it's on!)

And advertising is fun! I know I do shameless plugs for the book club when I remember (like right then :P).

But! What pieces did you play in band? The progress of my band has gotten worse the last couple years, it seems, not better (and we have a better director then we did a few years ago...). And there I go a-rambling. But I love playing, and don't shut up about it after awhile. And you're a cat person (yes, that does explain everything. Rather like saying someone's a drummer. It says so much in so few words).
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

381 Reviews

Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:50 pm
Fand says...

I don't remember most of them--they were your typical, tasteless fare--but in my senior year, we performed "Mannin Veen," (don't remember the composer, but it's a relatively old piece). It's basically clarinet solo with band accompaniment. My part was seven pages long; that of our first clarinet (I played solo for that one) was only four, and there was no difference in font size! It was crazy... but I completely memorized it. Can still play it from memory, actually. :D *reminisces*

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:37 pm
misspriss says...

Don't worry Gyr, I'm a hater of all veggies, give me fried chicken or give me death! :D

Fand, I am a Christian and I agree with you about the Bible. It may have been changed...but I think it's pretty much the closest thing Christians have to the real thing, right? :wink:

Anyway, don't worry, I'm not the Bible-thumping gay-hater kind, in fact, I don't believe they are true Christians. In fact, I have a gay Aunt. And I LOVE HER! She's awesome.

But, back to the Bible issue, I'm a young Christian and can't really seriously discuss it because I don't know that much about it.

However, onto a nicer conversation, I pretty much started writing almost before I could write. :wink: (And yes, it was ALL CRAP! Now I am still crap, but am getting better. :))

I am also taking writing classes which have helped A LOT!

Hey! I'm half German, (are you ready for this?)

*says in low, gravelly, German-like stalker voice*

"Miss Fand, you vill take these vatermelons or ve vill be forced to stick a banana in your ear!"

Wow, that was random. :lol: But that was my German accent impression.

381 Reviews

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:12 pm
Fand says...

Haha... that reminds me of a "scary" story my older cousin once told me, when I was very young. It goes something like this:

Once there was a pretty young woman who lived alone on the thirteenth floor of an apartment building. Living alone had never bothered her--at least, not until she heard rumors of a serial killer on the loose. He was called the Viper, and his tastes ran to pretty young women who--you guessed it--lived alone. Being a stubborn, spirited woman, though, she brushed off her fears with a laugh. What were the odds that the Viper would choose her as a victim, out of the thousands upon thousands of people in the city?

One evening, she was sitting home alone, curled up on the sofa with a good book, when the phone ring. She picked it up, expecting her mother or perhaps one of her friends from work with an offer for dinner out and maybe a movie.

"Hello?" she asked.

A raspy, high male voice, very unfamiliar to her, replied thus: "This is the Viper. I am on the street outside your building." Then the line went silent--he had hung up.

She frowned at the receiver, but then gave a false little laugh and told herself that it was a prank call. Serial killers never sounded that creepy outside campy horror movies.

She'd read a few more paragraphs when she got another phone call. "Hello?"

"This is the Viper. I am on the second floor."

She frowned. "Listen, kid, I don't appreciate--" she began, but the line went dead before she could continue. "Kids don't have enough to keep them busy these days," she grumbled, turning the page and continuing.

Again, she hadn't progressed more than half a page before the phone rang a third time. She picked it up with a scowl. "All right, look here--"

"I am on the seventh floor," came the reply, followed by the now-expected silence.

With a sound of inarticulate frustration, she hung up again. Still, she couldn't help but shiver a little, and curl up tighter. She did, after all, fit the profile perfectly.

This time, when the phone rang, her heart raced a little. She didn't answer. A few minutes later, it rang again. "H-hello?"

"I am on the eleventh floor. I am coming up. Is your door locked?"

Now genuinely frightened, she was the one to hang up. After a moment of staring aghast at the phone, she ran to the kitchenette and grabbed the biggest carving knife in the drawer.

This time, when the phone rang, she picked it up with shaking hands. "This is the Viper. I'm in the elevator."

"Listen, if you dare come closer, I'll--" but there was already silence. He'd hung up, and he was coming closer.

Only a few moments later, someone began pounding on her door. The young woman shrieked and jumped behind her sofa, carving knife in one hand while the other fumbled for the phone to call the police. Hopefully they'd be able to get here before she--

"Hello? Hello? This is the Viper. Your door is locked." More pounding. "Hello? Open the door! This is the Viper! I've come to vipe your vindows!"

...Well, it scared the bejesus out of me. Then again, I was six....

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:05 am
misspriss says...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is the most hilarious thing I've heard all day!

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:35 am
Dream Deep says...

Ditto. ^_^

... Reminds me of a story my older cousin told me when I was little - only, the conclusion was nothing so happy as a German window-wiper. ^_^ I think he had been watching too much of Freddy and Jason.

So. I came along randomly to give you a hug. No reason, really, completely random. I just saw that you were online, went to glance at your profile and I just couldn't resist the urge to come tell you you're great. In so many aspects. ^_^ (Not like the the various aspects of dreaming too deep, they're just tiring). ;)
Last edited by Dream Deep on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:24 pm
Ego says...

Goes along with your pattern of bad jokes, doll ;)
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

381 Reviews

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:25 pm
Fand says...

Oy, shuddup, you. :P My jokes are amazing!

576 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:28 pm
Ego says...

Yeah, when you don't mean them to be jokes *rolls eyes*
Got YWS? I do.

381 Reviews

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:50 pm
Fand says...

And I repeat: shuddup, you.

*makes face behind Dono's back*

576 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:57 pm
Ego says...

Nevar!

*dances with Fand*
Got YWS? I do.

To be a master of metaphor is the greatest thing by far. It is the one thing that cannot be learnt from others, and it is also a sign of genius.
— Aristotle, Poetics