z

Young Writers Society

Hello...!

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 am
Stripes says...

Hi! My name is Stripes. Just thought I would say hi, put myself out there in the threads...I intend to get started as soon as possible. I'm a second-year at university studying English and creative writing, been writing since I was 13...um. Other important information upon request?

I'll see everyone around!
"Existence is only futile if you say it is, and it's only meaningful if you say it is. And if you say neither, then it's just boring." -E.S.J.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:24 am
bludragon525 says...

Hey Stripes! Welcome to the wacky world of YWS!!!! I'm Zoe, or (more commonly known as) Dragon.

You've been writing since you were 13? Cool. I'm 13 right now, and I've been writing since I was seven. :)

So, there are three basic rules to YWS.

1) 2:1 ratio. That mean for every story/poem that you post, you have to submit two reviews. Reviews are generally three lines long.
2) NO CAPS OR CHAT-SPEAK. Please. They do nothing except succeed in giving people headaches.
3) Rate your work! (ex: R would be a piece that contains swearing, etc.)
4) Have fun! (I know, that rule doesn't really apply, but I would hate to see a person going around gloomy and bored to death.)

Um, yeah. That's about it.

So, tell us about yourself. Favorite color? Flavor of ice cream? Hobbies besides writing? We tend to be very nosy sometimes.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything!

See ya around (hopefully).

zOe :smt043
Help! I can't remember if I'm the evil twin or the good one!

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:56 am
Hannah says...

Hello, Stripes! Welcome to YWS~ I'm Hannah and I really like your avatar. xD

Just in case you haven't figured it out yet, I'd like to clarify something about the different colors of user names here on YWS.

First of all, you have your administrators, which are members in red. They're the big guys -- the head honchos, but I'm sure you knew that.

Any members in green are moderating members. Dark green members are general moderators, while lighter green members {such as myself} are junior moderators that are assigned to a specific region of the site. Orange members are distinguished members or retired moderators.

There are also members in purple and blue. Blue members are greeters, and a few will probably stop by this thread later on. Their job is to say hello to the new people and show them around. Purple members are instructors, and their job is to give detailed, especially helpful reviews and generally help members improve their writing.

Though I'm not technically purple, I wear a purple suit under this green one {I'm also an instructor}, so if you ever need a piece reviewed or need advice about anything, feel absolutely free to PM me, okay?

I was wondering what genre of writing you typically dabble in. ^___^ And what genre of reading has most influenced your writing?

Anyways, PM me if you have questions about anything! Again, welcome to the site.

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:03 pm
Mira says...

Welcome to the site, Stripes! :) You're going to love YWS.

I see that Zoe and Hannah have explained all the rules. ^-^ So that means we can move on to different subjects. lol

Who is your favorite author? And what kind of music do you tend to listen to the most? Do you have a favorite food or animal?

Anyway, PM me if you need any help or just feel like chatting. :)

Smiles!
~Mira
"Smiles make the world go round." ~ Me

356 Reviews

Reviews: 356
Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:06 pm
*writewatiwant* says...

There are also members in purple and blue. Blue members are greeters, and a few will probably stop by this thread later on. Their job is to say hello to the new people and show them around.

I'm here! I stopped by ^^

Helloooooo, Stripes! I'm Kat *shakes hand* and welcome to YWS! *throws blue confetti*
I'm glad dragon and Hannah have already laid the basics out for you. For some more info:

We have an awesome chat :smt024 You can check an enter the chat by clicking on the button at the top of the page that says either 'My YWS' or 'Home'. Then, scroll down and you'll find the chat boxy thing.

We have user groups! If you click on the button that says 'Groups' and you scroll down, you'll find many groups about many different stuff. There, you can meet people with the same tastes as yours and talk about the 'stuff' that the group is about.

Now,
cookies or ice cream?
Peanut butter or jam?
Rock or pop?
Blue or red?

Feel free to PM me if you need anything!
Have a nice day,
*Kat*
Piglet: How do you spell love?
Pooh: You don't spell it. You feel it.

The Buddy System Check us out!

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:05 pm
SimonCowellLuver says...

Hi Stripes I am SimonCowellLuver and I would like to personally welcome you to the YWS! :D
Well there are a few different rules
1. 2:1 ratio that means whenever you post something you must write 2 reviews.
2. NO CAPS! It becomes very annoying.
3. No chat speak.

well that is all i can think of from the top of my head. 8)

Also there are different people around for example blue labeled are for greeters, purple are for instructors, red are for administrators and green are for moderators.

If you have any questions/concerns feel free to pm me anytime. :D

See you around!

SimonCowellLuver
3 facts: 1.You can't lick your elbow
2. you just tried it
3. I caught you cause i saw you

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:05 pm
SimonCowellLuver says...

Hi Stripes I am SimonCowellLuver and I would like to personally welcome you to the YWS! :D
Well there are a few different rules
1. 2:1 ratio that means whenever you post something you must write 2 reviews.
2. NO CAPS! It becomes very annoying.
3. No chat speak.

well that is all i can think of from the top of my head. 8)

Also there are different people around for example blue labeled are for greeters, purple are for instructors, red are for administrators and green are for moderators.

If you have any questions/concerns feel free to pm me anytime. :D

See you around!

SimonCowellLuver
3 facts: 1.You can't lick your elbow
2. you just tried it
3. I caught you cause i saw you

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:35 pm
Stripes says...

*waves back at everyone* *shakes Kat's hand because that was cool* Thanks for all the info! I will be keeping those things in mind.

Wow, lots of questions...I'm kind of in transition as a writer, since I just finished my first year at uni. In high school, I was more of a poet, but I find my poetry is weakening and I'm getting more and more into stories. I don't really write long stuff, though, mostly flash fiction. I guess we'll see how things go!

Other personal details...I love to read. I'm mostly into mainstream or literary genres--most of what I read could be found in a school classroom or reading list, actually. My favorite book is All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, closely followed by the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. I also sang for six years in my school choir, and now I sing in the gospel choir at my uni. I'm forever trying to write about the experience and failing miserably. :roll:

That's about all the important stuff for now...to the forums!
"Existence is only futile if you say it is, and it's only meaningful if you say it is. And if you say neither, then it's just boring." -E.S.J.

Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe.
— John Milton (Poet)