z

Young Writers Society

There Are Only So Many Ways To Say Hello.

Reviews: 4
Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:43 pm
paperdollx says...

Bonjour, Aloha, Hi, Hello, Hallo, Salut.
(There are more but I might be here all day)

I am Paperdollx, but my name is Samantha, I prefer being called Sami though, so you can refer to me as that :). I am 19 years old and I am from Belfast, Northern Ireland. That's part of Britain and the Uk by the way, some people will think I'm Irish, I'm not, I'm British. Not that I have any problem with the Irish, they are pretty cool people.

I am obviously here for the same reason as most of you, because I enjoy writing. It started when I was 13 and going through my emotional, depressive stage, I started writing poetry about how I felt and have been writing on and off ever since. I do tend to write poems more than anything else, I have written a few songs but gave that up as a bad idea since I have no musical talent whatsoever. I have never attempted a script, I don't enjoy the format, but I do enjoy acting and the theatre.

In November 2008, I attempted NaNoWriMo for the first time ever, after discovering it a week in and I managed to pen the 50, 000 words in 3 weeks instead of the normal four. That is the biggest piece of writing I have ever achieved. I have the story saved but it isn't finished and I have intentions of finishing it, but I feel I have changed so much as a person that I find it hard to write in the same mind frame as I was back then. Perhaps one day.

I am a kind-of regular blogger and the link to my blog can be found in my profile. I want to be a writer and I've been recently doing research and trying to learn as much as I can from all aspects and points of view and I decided to join this forum in order to enhance my writing and interact with other writer's as I don't know very many myself.

I apologise for the lengthy introduction, but it'll save me explaining it all again in the long run :P. Anyway, I hope to talk to some of you soon!

Sami
xo
"Give a girl the right pair of shoes and she will conquer the world" - Marilyn Monroe.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:12 pm
View Likes
Emerson says...

Hello and welcome, Sami! It's wonderful to meet you. You'll probably find me in the poetry section, so if you post a poem, look out! I will gently tear it to pieces. Do you write fiction as well? What genre?

I rather like your username. How did you come up with it? I'm sure you can think of where mine came from. ;-) If you would like, you may call me Suz or Anna. Whatever. I am good with many names.

If you have any questions about the site or need help finding your way around, feel free to pester me! Also, if you want some poetry help, I think I can do that too! :D What kind of poetry do you generally write? Do you have a favorite style? Oh! Better question: who is your favorite poet?
β€œIt's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:56 pm
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hiya Sami! Welcome to YWS! :D If you want to meet other writers, this is the place to be. And you just met two! I'm Selene and it's a pleasure to meet you. ^_^

Here are some rules to get you started:

~Please review two pieces of work before posting your own. We have a 2:1 ratio rule here when it comes to reviewing work, so please keep that up. Reviewing is highly encouraged and helps other site members immensely. It's simply a nice thing to do, and keeps people from having un-critiqued work.

~No chat-speak, like "dat wuz awsme" or caps like "THAT WAS GREAT!!!".

~Please rate your work. This way, people will know what to expect when they go to read it and *drum roll*... it'll show up on the front page! That means that you'll get more reviews and everyone's happy. :D

It's question time!

Pie or cake?
What's your favorite book?
Do you have any pets?
Have any hobbies?

If you would like a review, want to talk, or have a question, feel free to PM me.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

Reviews: 4
Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:12 am
paperdollx says...

Hey Suzanne and Selene!

Thank you for your welcome :) I believe I've spoken to you both once or twice in chat now which is cool. I'm going to answer your questions here anyway :D

Suzanne - Hi! I look forward to your critiques =P. I have only written one piece of fiction properly, which was Nano 2008 and it was a young adult novel, mainly the genre of romance. I haven't finished it though I did make the 50, 000 words. My username actually comes from a song called Paper Doll by a band named Kittie, I liked it years ago and it's kind of stuck with me ever since!

I can't say I can define my poetry in a certain genre, since I started when I was 13, a lot of it is about how I felt at that age so it involves teenage angst/depression. Although, I have a thing about poetry and I have to make it rhyme! I don't mind occasionally if it doesn't but I highly prefer when it does! I guess rhyming poetry would then be my favourite style.

Oh a favourite poet? That's hard to say, I don't believe I've read a lot of poems but I did enjoy Thomas Hardy and The Darkling Thrush and also Christina Rosetti and her Remember poem, but those are from GCSE. I may have to look into more poets and do some research. My favourite poem actually used to be one titled "She Was Gone" which was featured in an episode of "What about Ginger" on Nickelodeon. I think that was an anonymous poet though.

Selene - Thank you for informing me of the rules, I will be sure to take note! As for your questions:

I've taken a notion for Cheesecake lately so I'm going to say Cake!
My favourite book is P.S. I love you by Ceceila Ahern.
I have 4 cats and one dog - it's pretty mad.
My hobbies are writing, reading, blogging, photography, playing wii/ds and doing some occasional youthwork.

My posts seem to go on forever!
Sami
=]
"Give a girl the right pair of shoes and she will conquer the world" - Marilyn Monroe.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien