z

Young Writers Society

Hey. Hi. Hello.

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:35 pm
Jetpack says...

Er, hi. I'm new to YWS, but not to writing forums. I love critiquing as well as writing, though the former's a bit rusty. I try to write prose - I fail and it turns into a semi-descriptive fragment of nothing in particular. I struggle to write anything with a plotline at the moment, so I've had a go at poetry, and decided that I'd better stick with fragments of nothing in particular for now. :P

I don't write as regularly as I'd like, but I read a lot; fantasy more than most genres, but more recently just anything that catches my eye. I seem to read a lot about World War II, mostly accidentally, and up until last year I had a weird obsession with the RMS Titanic - but I've only seen the film once.

Anyways, that's it. *waves*

Did I mention I ramble?

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:11 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Hey Jetpack ^^ Welcome to YWS! *waves* I'm Shina ;), one of the instructor-greeters on this site. Is is both my job and my pleasure to gree the newbs of YWS.

It's good to hear you like writing and reading! We all do too :P So this is the perfect place for you to be.

Don't worry about your writing struggles because YWS will make you ten times the writer you are this very second! I totally guarantee it ;)

So what more to say? Well, I'll cover the rules for you:

2:1 Ratio. Review two pieces of work before posting anything... Or else.

NO CAPS! It makes people ill.

No chtspk, it's forbidden.

Be professional, be nice!

And now, for my pieces of advice:

Don't take all reviews to heart. The instructors on YWS are seriously evil when it comes to reviews. They will most likely shred you apart. But no worries! It's all in the hope that you'll improve! So take their suggestions and take advantage of what they offer you. It's like a writing class in the comfort of your own living room/office/kitchen!

When someone signs your guestbook, sign theirs back in return. Don't forget manners!

Good Luck & Have Fun

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:14 pm
mizz-iceberg says...

Welcome to YWS, Jetpack! *waves back* :smt039

So you have experience with other writing forums, but I warn you this one is different. We're evil. :D
Well, kinda. Stick around, and you'll see for yourself.

As for reviewing, don't worry about it. you'll get the hang of it. Why not check out some of the articles on critiquing in our knowledge base? There are some other great articles and tutorials on various different topic as well. And, they're all written by YWS members.

The writing advice I can give you is keep reading a lot, and write frequently, at least twenty minutes everyday.

I can say I'm very much related to the RMS Titanic incident. I am after all Mizz-Iceberg. :twisted:

Anyways, if you need any help, have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.

See you around!
I'm a godmother, that's a great thing to be, a godmother. She calls me god for short, that's cute, I taught her that.
--Ellen DeGeneres

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:09 am
SeleneForeverDream says...

Hiya Jetpack and welcome to YWS! I'm Selene and it's lovely to meet you. ^_^

You may have noticed that members here have different colored usernames. This is because YWS has a lovely variety of jobs.

Blue- Are Greeters! They welcome new members to the site, like Shina mentioned, and introduce them to the rules we have here.

Purple (aka Purps)- Are Instructors! They tear up - ehm I mean review- work on the site. Instructors are here to help improve your writing.

Light Green- Are our lovely Junior Moderators, also known as JMs and Junior Mods. They control specific forums on YWS.

Green- Are Moderators, also referred to as Mods. They regulate all forums and make sure everything runs smoothly.

Red- Are our Administrators of YWS, also known as Admins. They make sure YWS doesn't fall into complete chaos.

Orange- Are retired Admins. They're highly respected on this site.

Don't be afraid to go to these people if you need help, because that's what they're jobs are.

So there it is! If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.
Got YWS?

You judge others upon their actions, but you judge yourself by your intention.

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:26 pm
SimonCowellLuver says...

Hi i am SimonCowellLuver but most of the people hear either call me Simon or just SCL. i think its better to call me SCL since it is only 3 letters. :smt006
Make sure you check out the guidelines for posting writings. i also love writing fantasy. I love reading about WW2. I have a movie about it. :smt042

If you ever have a question or comment feel free to pm me anytime.

Talk to you later. SCL :smt031
3 facts: 1.You can't lick your elbow
2. you just tried it
3. I caught you cause i saw you

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:53 am
Demeter says...

Hi Jetpack!

Nice to meet you. They call me Demeter. Well, most of them don't, but it's my full name, so yeah. :P I've seen any variation there probably is (or have I? Surprise me!).

Haha, people have made it seem like YWS is some kind of sweat shop where people have no salary and get whipped on a regular basis. Well, the no salary bit is correct, but we really are friendly and helpful, although some people may be a little harsh on their reviews. However, this is only because we want to help others improve their writing in any ways possible. =)

Despite all the friendliness and loveliness, stick to the rules, because if you don't, they'll cut your head off. Not really, but it's important not to use chatspeak or all caps (especially in the chatroom), because it will annoy everyone and then it's not fun anymore.

Well, I hope you have fun here, and just PM me if you need anything. :) See you around!

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:48 am
Jetpack says...

Just wanted to thank you all for the welcome - feels like I've been here for ages already. :)

Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.
— Homer Simpson