z

Young Writers Society

19 year old writer here

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:32 am
KevinL says...

Hi everyone :D

My name's Kevin and I'm a writer. I've been published 4 times but never earned a cent for any one of them. Oh well. Not a big deal.

My favorite authors are Chuck Palinuck (I think thats how you spell his name. I'm too lazy to check), Bernard Cornwell, Hunter S. Thompson, and J.K. Rowling (yes, I like Potter).

Hope you read some of my pieces and enjoy them!

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:50 am
View Likes
Juniper says...

Hi Kevin!

Welcome to YWS!

Getting published with or without getting money for it is an awesome, great achievement, especially if you're under 25. :P It totally is a big deal, really. I haven't been published yet (Or wait... I have been accepted for publishing, but whatever!) so, seeing someone else who has accomplished that makes me happy. :)

Anyway! I'm June. Or, as my username states, Juniper-- feel free to call me either, and come to me if you need anything/have any problems. To run over the rules:

Our 2:1 policy states that you must have two reviews prior to a submission. No chatspeak (u r a new member? wlcm, or however it's done. :P), no flaming, no swearing on the boards outside of literature or in chat, and... I think that's the basics!

As for colored names go, the tomato colored members are admins; the watermelon-skinned ones, like myself are Moderators, the sour-apple/light green colored are junior moderators, the orange colored are retired moderators/admins; the grape colored are instructors and the blueberries are greeters! Admins run the site, moderators keep everything in control and purps and blues balance out the reviews and welcomes. ;)

Aaand, I think that's the basics covered! If you have anything to question, ask us here, and we'll answer as soon as we can. ;)

You know what's sad? I have heard of all of the authors you mentioned, but not once in my life, save for a passage here and there, have I read anything by them. :P I don't go to libraries and bookstores much. :P

SO! I noticed you posted something. I'm off to review it, or read it at least and probably review it in the morning. :P

Welcome to YWS! Hope you enjoy it here!

June ;)
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:54 am
KevinL says...

Oh, my fault. I didn't realize I needed to review two other pieces first. I'll get right on that!

Thanks for reading mine though, anyways.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:57 am
Juniper says...

Oi, no problemo! This is just to ensure that very few things 'round here go unreviewed, and the more you review, the more you get reviewed. ;)

So, yeah! Also, reviews need to be 250 characters to be counted as reviews; they'll show under your name and build up stars (like my row of shiny blue ones! :P)

*works on review for your story* :P

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:00 am
bludragon525 says...

Hey! Welcome to YWS!!!! (I keep typing YEW for whatever reason, but, oh, well)

June covered the basics, but I'll try to remember what the rest of rules. Oh, I know! I'll talk about rankings.

Okay, so you've probably seen the rankings under the username (Novice, Junior Writer (me!), Senior Writer, so on and so forth).

Ranks depend on how many posts you make:
New Member: 0-4 posts
Novice: 5-14 posts
Junior Writer: 15 - 49 posts
Writer: 50 - 99 posts
Senior Writer: 100 - 249 posts
Novelist: 250 - 499 posts
Speaker of the Forum: 500+ posts
Master of the Forum: 1,000+ posts

As for the stars, well, I'll just say that they depend on reviews.

So, now that that's over and done with, tell us about yourself. What are your favorite books? What genre do you like to write? What are your hobbies besides reading and writing? Favorite flavor of ice cream? Favorite type of cookie?

Feel free to pm me if you need anything (or if you get lost. Believe me, it's easy enough.)

See you around.

zOe :D
Help! I can't remember if I'm the evil twin or the good one!

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:12 pm
Chloe(: says...

Hey Kevin! I'm Chloe, but you can call me by my user-name, or any variation of one of the two. Or more than one of the two ;)

Doesn't June's description of the user-name colors make you hungry? :lol: Random thought!

:backtotopic:
So, Juniper and Zoe covered most there is to say, so I'll give you some tips.

If you head on up to the 'Resources' icon on top, when you hover over it you'll see a list. Click 'Knowledge Base.' It'll take you to a place with many, many, many MANY articles on writing, grammar, and others.

If you head on up to the 'groups' icon at the top, it'll take you to a page filled with many links to user-groups. If there's not one of a particular interest that you'd like to make on for, then go to the link at the top and start a topic in the forum that it takes you to!

So there are my directions to the knowledge base and user-groups in intricate detail, I hope they've helped!

So, feel free to PM me if you need any help or would like me to critique something you've written!
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson