z

Young Writers Society

Hello I'm new.... :)

Reviews: 1
Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:52 am
meganab says...

Hi everyone! I've been writing since I was in fifth grade when I wrote a 99 page handwritten story in a notebook titled "My Life In Middle School: Sixth Grade Surprises." As you can guess, it was definately lacking. But I realized early that I had a passion for the art.
From there, I wrote a 147 page typed novel called Chester King. This was in the 8th grade, and I hope to eventually do some major editing. :)
I am currently working on a few different projects, including a novel where I introduce a completely new type of vampire and a realistic fiction novel.
I will be attending UGA in the fall, and I love writing. Any comments or feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
~Megan

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:12 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Megan! So, you wrote a novel already? Wow, that's impressive. How does it feel? And, uh, may I ask what UGA is? I don't believe I'm familiar with the term.

So, anyway, it's good to have you on YWS! So, I should probably explain the rules here. On YWS, you're supposed to know the rules, and they can be foud here. Here's a mini version of the rules, explaining some of the more famous ones.

1. Keep the 2:1 review ratio. That means you have to review at least two works before posting any of your own. This ensures that everyone gets a review, and besides, reviewing as well as writing helps you grow as a writer. It's a win-win situation. ^.^

2. Write properly, please. That means using proper spelling, grammar, and capitalization, as well as not using net/chat/1337/whateverspeak. It makes your posts so much easier to understand, and it will help avoid misunderstandings.

3. Rate your works properly. If you rate your works, they (except for those rated R) will show up on the front page, so everyone can see them. If your work contains graphic scenes and/or the f-word, it must be rated R. On a related note, please keep all swearing confined to the literary forums.

Otherwise, you're good. It's great to meet you, and I hope to see you around YWS! I'd love to look at your novel sometime, hopefully in the near future. Anyway, if you need something, you can PM me. It was great meeting you, Megan. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:31 pm
Chloe(: says...

Hi Megan! I'm Chloe, but you can call me by my user-name or any variation of one of the two.

What genre is Chester King? That's a cool title. ;)

What do you like to do besides writing? Head on up to the little “Groups” Icon at the top of the page. Click it and search for a group with the interest that you have. If you find one, join it! If not, at the top of the page there’s a link to a forum where you can create a group. Have fun!

You might have seen people with colored user-names here(WaterVyper and I for an example.) I'll tell you what each color stands for, and what each job is.
The Blue Greeters: We hang out around here, introducing ourselves to new members and helping them through the wonderful first couple of days in YWS. We love to help, so if you need any help, ask us!

The Purple Instructors: These people are the big reviewing people. They spend a lot of time reviewing and their reviews are long and very helpful. They are very nice, so if you need a question, ask them.

The Light Green and Green Mods: They watch over the forums and make sure that all is well. The junior mods look over only a couple of forums, and the Mods look over a bunch.

The Red: These crazy people are admins. They are the heads of YWS, we wouldn’t be the same great website without them. Yay Admins!

Orange: These are the distinguished members, or otherwise, the retired mods. They are pretty active and love to help.

So, that's all for now. Feel free to PM me if you need any help, or would like me to critique something you've written!
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:14 pm
Carlito says...

Hey Megan, welcome to YWS! :D

Man, I wish I could finish a novel..... Yeah, this is a really great place to get tips for that potentially scary editing process, and if your thinking of publishing, there are a lot of great resources here for that too.

If you haven't already, I would check out the groups. There are about a million so you're bound to find some that look interesting to you.

Are you ready for some hard questions?
What's your major/minor in college? If you could meet any author and ask them anything you wanted for an hour, who would you meet? If you could see any band/singer in concert and hang out with them for an hour afterwords, who would you see? What's your favorite kind of ice cream? What's your favorite kind of soup?

I hope you have a great time here and if you have any questions or need anything, feel free to PM me! :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci