Young Writers Society

Introducing a TYWC refugee.

Random avatar

Reviews: 23
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:12 am
Babanuuk says...

Hello everyone,
Babanuuk here.

I discovered YWS while hunting for the old TYWC site...
I wanted to retrieve some of my writing in a few of the storybooks there to jog my writer's block, but unfortunately, the site is no where to be found.

I was redirected here several times and finally thought, "what the hell, I'll sign up."

I'm hoping "storybooking" (AKA nontraditional role playing) isn't dead, because I used to enjoy it so much.

Any helpful comments, directions, or tips would be appreciated... it's always a bit overwhelming adjusting to a community website like this.

So,
here's to meeting creative writers!

:D

BABANUUK

PS. I have to comment on the forum set up; it is almost exactly like GAIAonline, another site I was addicted to in my pubescence. Ha, ha. =]
Your beliefs define your character... I believe in LOVE.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:37 am
Snoink says...

Haha, somebody tried to get me addicted to Gaia, but she failed miserably. :P However! I was a TYWC person as well. My name was Snoink there. I liked storybooks too, but I was only in two of them... "In the End" and "Teenz that are Crazy!!" which totally isn't what it sounds like. XD I was mostly in Activities, but I was REALLY ANNOYING. So my apologies if you've seen me babble on there! I'm (slightly!) better now.

My brother was more active... his name was Griffinkeeper. And is Griffinkeeper here. :)

Also, I totally didn't go to YWS at first either. I thought it would never be as good as TYWC, especially since the owner (Nate) had a failing poetry site before. But, what do you know! It's pretty cozy and you can start up new works pretty easily here. No approval system... which is really nice. :)

Anyway, welcome to YWS! Hope you like it!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:52 am
View Likes
Babanuuk says...

Ha, I was probably just as annoying on the old site, but what thirteen-year-old isn't? I think I eventually created two accounts, just to avoid myself.

Well, I don't recall meeting you on TYWC, Snoink, but I honestly can't remember what I called myself so, that doesn't mean much. Thanks for being the friendly person to greet newbies!!

I didn't do much else on TYWC besides storybooks.
I was the chick playing as the dude characters that all the other chicks wanted their chick character to date. Boy, did that get problematic.

Anyway,
I'm excited about posting poetry and other such nonsense, besides making use of the forums.
So far so good, I'd say.
:D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:59 am
Rydia says...

Welcome fellow TYWC'er! And I just read your post on the TYWC user-group and wow, this is just epic! It's so good to have you around Dark, though I suppose I should call you babanuuk now, maybe baba XD

if you're looking for some of your old writing, I might be able to help you out. I searched through the archives and have the transcripts of quite a few storybooks we were in together.

I was really active in the Storybooks.
"Whatever," the Indian reservation thing... I think my favorite was the one that took place in a prison.
It was awful because we couldn't post any new storybook ideas, so we had to start reusing old ones.
And Kitty was one of my favorite writers to work with.

Awww, you was one of my favourites too! And by that I mean in my top three, easily. I couldn't say how often I've lamented the loss of storybook writers like yourself and I would be delighted to have the experience again. We've got an RPG section here under the literary section, near the bottom. It's called storybooks but that's misleading as it is just RPG XD It isn't as great as the graveyard was but it's fun and some of the storybooks are brilliant.

I'm not sure if you met Jasmine Hart toward the end? I think you possibly did in which case she's here too and there's others hanging around and well we hope to attract more all the time and this shows that it works XD
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:46 pm
Nate says...

Yep, the set-up of YWS and Gaia are pretty similar since both are based on phpBB2, which is a message board. Gaia is the largest phpBB2 forum in the world.

So welcome to YWS! I like to think it's the spiritual successor to TYWC, and you'll definitely find a lot of people here who were active on TYWC. Hope you enjoy the place :)

Snoink -->> Failing poetry site? I think you're mixing me up with darkangel (another TYWC member) and http://www.poetsquill.com.

Random avatar

Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:13 pm
Babanuuk says...

Okay, so first question...
how do I quote someone else in one of those convenient box things? That'd be helpful.

Kitty,
You can call me whatever you like, Dark, Baba... heck! Call me Nuke. :P

I might have encountered Jasmine Hart. I remember the storylines and the characters better than I do the writers, unless they were really good, like Kitty, and Beethoven...

I'm so very grateful to you, Nate, for making this site a reality. Lots of TYWC writers talked about doing something like this, but it never happened. And whenever someone tried it was a complete failure.
So, props to you!!

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:04 pm
Rydia says...

To quote people just type (Quote) at the beginning of what you want to quote and then (/Quote) at the end but use square brackets instead [like this]. Does that make sense? Or if you want to quote a person's entire post, there's a button for it at the top of the post.

Ah Beet, yes she was here but unfortunately didn't stay for long. I have hopes that she might one day pop her head around the corner again but we'll see.
Writing Gooder

Random avatar

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:22 pm
Babanuuk says...

Yeah, that makes sense.
Thank you very much. :)

Hm, I wonder what scared her off? lol
Or maybe she simply has better things to do.

Well, I am going to try to get a few of my friends who used to write on TYWC to join YWS, and my sister as well.

I checked out the storybooks, but most of the interesting ones are full.
I believe I will wait around until I am either hit by a wonderful idea for a new storybook or find one that appeals to me.

In any case, I would love to write with you again,
so we should make that happen too.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:30 pm
Rydia says...

I think it was a case of age more than anything. She was a little older than me and well, there comes a time when you feel the need to spend more time in the real world but everyone gets reminiscent now and then so perhaps, perhaps...

Yay you should! Would I know any of them? I don't know if you remember my sister but she's got a user here though she's rarely on. Her name was Phoenix57flame, hmm, was you in the board-game one? If so, she played the sister of my character lol.

That's a good idea, I'm only in one at the moment I think which is unusual for me but I've been spending a lot of time on a Harry potter RPG site so it equals out. Still, maybe I'll try to think up an idea for a new one or if you start one I'll gladly join :)
Writing Gooder

Random avatar

Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:30 pm
Babanuuk says...

I think it was a case of age more than anything. She was a little older than me and well, there comes a time when you feel the need to spend more time in the real world but everyone gets reminiscent now and then so perhaps, perhaps...

Ah, I see. Well, one can hope. :)

Actually, I think I saw Phoenix around, but my memory's pretty gnarly so I can't say for sure.
LOL

I think I have some cool ideas for a storybook, but I'm not sure if anyone will dig it.
I'll PM you with some of my thoughts if you want. :D

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:37 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Babanuuk! Whoa, your username is like, [s]amazing[/u]. Though, I'll probably mispell it if I didn't havea guide =_=

Welcome to YWS Babanuuk( xD it has a ring to it) I'm Shina! And I am here to greet you and tell you all about YWS.

First of all, imagine your addiction to the internet and your love of writing as two different things. And then, mix them together and you've got YWS! Yes, addiction to internet+love of writing=YWS.

And you know, it's weird how a bunch of mods have tackled you and there doesn't seem to be any speak of the rules:

2:1 ratio. Review 2 pieces before ever, ever posting something... because it's bad! And it's also not good for the flow :(

No chatspeak! Which means no "heya heya boi! Waz krakin der?" or "ROFL! Giv meh da deets."

No CAPS! NEVER USE CAPS! It makes people ill *nods*

And that seems to sum it up.

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:56 am
smaur says...

Kitty15/Babanuuk > Whaaaat, there's a TYWC usergroup?
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:15 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Yes there is.

Link.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:47 am
Rydia says...

Haha Griff beat me to it! Yeah there isn't much there at the moment but I'm hoping that as we attract more refugees it will grow and become more discussion based :)
Writing Gooder

Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.
— Michael McClary