z

Young Writers Society

New.

Reviews: 2
Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:17 pm
BlackMoonWhiteSky says...

Like I said, I'm new too. Just got on for the first time actually. I'm not the best at the whole, introduction thing so...hi. When online I go by Iris Gnes or Chris, if you don't want to write out my screen name.
For the most part I'm a poet, but that will change...once I finish one of my, many, stories. I like si-fi and fantasy and love writers like Tamora Pierce, Charles de Lint, and Anne McCaffrey.
"Thus is life, live it...or die trying."

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:47 pm
AquaMarine says...

Hey!
i'm kind of new too, i have been on here for a few days and i already love it! i write poetry too, so far i've submitted about 3 and the reviews are always helpful and constructive!
I guess one of the main rules is two reviews for every submission, keeps it all going. But i would take a look at the rules so that you're clued in.
Anyway, hope you enjoy the site and feel free to PM me for reviews etc.
X
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:29 am
Sleeping Valor says...

Welcome!

YWS is a great community filled with lots of nice people. I haven't finished many stories myself, but I'm definitely more of a story writer than a poet.

There are just a few key rules you need to know about before you get started (but please do read all of the rules).
1) Rate your work, that way it appears on the front page.
2) No chat speak, since this is a writing forum.
3) For every 2 pieces you submit, please review two others. It's a good way to make friends, attract reviews and make sure everyone gets the reviews they deserve.

:)! I love Tamora Pierece, especially her Tortal series (in fact I don't much like the circle of magic =P). Who's your favorite character?

If you have any questions or need a friend, PM me anytime!

^_^ Keek!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:10 am

Becca, hands down.
Circle of Magic is my mom's personal favorite, but I don't like it much either.

220 Reviews

Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:16 am
Sleeping Valor says...

lol. I haven't had a chance to read the second in the Becca series yet. But I got the first one as soon as I saw it. ^_^ I liked it too. Though my friend says the second isn't as good as the first.

I think Ali is my favorite. ^_^ Though both she and Alana gets bonus points because Nawat and George are so darn cool.
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:35 am

Agreed. I haven't read the second one either(Sad face), my dad refuses to buy hardbacks and, as I have yet to get a job, (hey, I going to ACC over my summer break), I am totally dependant on his money.

220 Reviews

Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:46 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

lol. I usually avoid hardcover unless I love the book. I don't break the spines on my books (ever! It's my rule) but if I read it a lot the cover gets all wrinkly and worn down so I tend to get a hardcover copy after that.

I feel for you. Luckily for me I have chapters gift cards! (Always, always on my gift lists. XD) I won't spoil it for you if I get to it before you do. =P But I need a job too. >.< *is going off to university in august*

Where's ACC? (*isn't sure she knows this acronym*)

312 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 312
Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:25 pm
Mars says...

Hey Chris, welcome!

Sci-fi and fantasy? I love reading those but I'm trying to write my first fantasy right now and it's incredibly hard. ;-; Does that mean you write those too? I'd love to read some of your poetry - I've always sort of been a poet who tries (and imo fails) at fiction.

I'm sure you'll love the site - feel free to PM me if you need anything, gor a review, or questions, or whatever. See you around!

x Mars
'life tastes sweeter when it's wrapped in poetry'
-the wombats

critiques // nano

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya!

*Squeezes in to Pierce conversation*

Terrier is absolutely amazing. I haven't been able to read some of her other books lately (Heh, committed them to memory just about. Read them too often. xD), but Terrier really gets me thinking about a book of mine set in the slums.

When it comes to characters, I haven't read Trickster yet, but my favourites are probably Alanna and Neal. Neal I keep using as an example for a well-developed character.

If you need anything, PM me! I'm one to review most fantasy (I don't review things with vampires or werewolves, though)

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Sleeping Valor: ACC stands for Austin Community Collage, they have multiple locations but I'm taking online courses so I'm not technically tied to a location.
Most of my birthday and Christmas gifts are gift cards for Barns and Noble, everyone knows that is a safe bet with me.

Mars: Yes, I'm trying to write them anyway...trying being the key word here. I know the feeling, looks woefully at notebook, we'll see how I do. I would love to read your stuff too. Thanks, see ya.

Rosey Unicorn: Trickster is great, though I like the second one just a little bit better. I'll be sure to do that, thanks. Some of my stuff has Werewolves and Vampires but not all of it, in fact, most of it doesn't.

220 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:10 am
Sleeping Valor says...

^_^ Oh good. Giftcards are always nice to have (*loves them*). Anyways, I won't gum up your welcome thread any longer. But have fun with ACC and with your writing. :D

^_^ Keek!

There was nothing he enjoyed more than a good book. He'd wander into the study, take down some leather-bound volume, and eat it.
— Terence Brady (dog owner)