z

Young Writers Society

Adding to the 95 pages....

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:17 pm
Tala says...

Hey guys! I'm new here as you can probably tell or else I wouldn't be posting here.

I'm a fantasy writer that has been working on a book by myself for about a year now and looked around for some tips online and spotted this site. I hope you guys can help me with my horribly self-edited book, lol.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya and welcome!

Glad you've stumbled upon this site. ^^ It's certainly done wonders for my writing, that's for sure. Just in case you haven't read the rules, here's a quick run-down:

~ Keep a 2:1 ratio when it comes to reviews/posted works. For every work you have posted, your little "reviews" thing on your profile should say 2. A review is about three lines long, but if you point out what you liked and didin't like that shouldn't be a problem. (I also notice you have a review already! Nice work. ^^)

~ Chat-speak and excess caps should be kept to a minimum. Stuff like lol, brb, PoV and MC are fine (along with other term abbreviations you can come up with). However, I don't think you'll have a problem with that. ;)

~ Please rate your works. Rated works, unless rated R, show up on the front page of YWS. You might even get more comments. ^_^ Rated R works have the f-word and/or adult content.

For the rest of the rules, click here

Fantasy writing is my favourite pass times (Other than YWS, lol). What's your book about? Romantic fantasy? Hard fantasy (Tolkien-ish stuff. Like with elves)? Or something in between? I'd love to see it as long as it doesn't have vampires. (Don't ask. I'm not so sure why I don't like them myself. xD)

What are your favourite books? Authors? Do you write anything other than fantasy?

If you need anything, PM me!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:44 am
Tala says...

It's a romance/adventure fantasy. I'm not quite sure what genre it goes into yet, lol. It hasn't decided yet. It's pretty long already, about 21 chapters now.
I'm going to start posting some of it soon. Chapter 1 is being re-vamped, but the prologue is nice and shiny already. :)

I'm kinda working on a Sci-Fi story, but it hasn't gone anywhere in about a year.

Favorite books? Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss comes to mind first. An amazing fantasy book that you can't put down...if you haven't read it you should.

Don't really have a favorite author simply because I read so much that I can't pick between them all.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:35 am
WaterVyper says...

Hey Tala!

Romance? *applause* I can't write romance to save my life, though I'm trying. And I always make action scenes drag out far longer than they should be. Congratulations on making it to 21 chapters. ^^ This calls for a celebration. *celebrates*

So, Rosey's explained the rules, and I can move on to colors. You notice that Rosey has a purple colored name, and that I have a blue one? That's because she is an instructor and a greeter. Here's a quick rundown.

Black- Regular members, like you! You guys are really great, and help the community of YWS thriving.

Blue- Greeters are usually the first members you meet, and our job is to help you gain your bearings. If you have any questions, you can ask us.

Purple- Instructors are the people who really know writing inside and out. If you're ever struggling with your writing, you can ask them for help.

Light and dark green- They are Junior moderators and moderators respectively. They help run the site and generally make sure that everything is running smoothly.

Red- These are admins, who keep the site up and running.

Orange- Distinguished members are moderators and admins who have retired from service.

So, that's our little rainbow. If you're feeling lost, there's usually a guide at the bottom of the page, to help you see who's who.

So, why don't you tell us more about yourself? How did you start writing? What would you say describes you? What are your hobbies? Is there anything else you want to say about yourself?

Well, it was great to meet you, Tala. If you ever need anything, or just want to talk, you can give me a PM. I hope to see you around soon. See ya!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Random avatar

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:07 am
Tala says...

You guys are really awesome, the other site I joined a while ago just ignored me. :)

I started writing about 8 years about with my best friend in Middle School. We both were and are writers and worked together a lot on our stories which were almost exclusively the romance/fantasy variety and poetry.

What describes me? Well, I'm a bit of a goof and I love to have fun with my characters. They always find themselves into some sort of trouble to entertain me. :P

I love to write (or else I wouldn't have made it to 21 chapters, hehe), and I love to read and spend time outside.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:31 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Hey Tala ^^ I'm Shina, another one of those blue-titled people known as greeters. It is my job and my pleasure to greet the newbs of YWS.

Yes! This is the place you should be! I started writing last October, and thought the novel I was writing was good... But then I came to YWS and they brought it to a whole other level, and now I'm finished and going to send out query letters xD I would've never been able to be who I am today without this site.

Since everyone's covered the rules, I'll give you my piece of advice:

Don't take all reviews to heart. YWS will probably shred most of your pieces, especially if it's "horribly self-edited" xD But have no fear! It's all in the hopes that you'll improve and get better along the way. I promise that YWS will make you ten times better a writer than you are today.

Take advantage of this site. There aren't many with friendly people like this, active members like this, or knowledgeable people like this. On top of that, we're free ;)

Good Luck & Have Fun
-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:46 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Ohh, very nice to hear about the posting. If you want a critique on the whole thing you can chuck it into Advanced Critiques. Be warned, though. Not everybody goes into that forum. It also costs 500 points to post there.

Action/romance fantasy is probably my favourite genre. It's certainly the one I write in 90% of the time. xD Action drives the external conflict while romance drives character conflict. It's fun.

You know I started writing, in middle school, with a friend? I find that funny.

Can't wait to see you around the site!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
— Albert Pines