z

Young Writers Society

Battle Of The Hopeless (Chapter 4)

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:57 pm
polinkacreations says...

Spoiler! :
I love to see this evolving, and I love to see you all reviewing! Thanks for all the support;) And,here comes one of my favourite chapters so far!

Chapter 4
Felix

At first, it felt like my body was ripped apart. The pain was excruciating, it spread into every inch of my body, through every muscle. Maybe that was because I haven’t felt pain in such a long time that it seemed too strong, and in fact, horrifying. At one moment I even wished I never decided to leave, but still I knew it was too late to turn back. And yet, through the pain I could feel relief. I was glad I was still able to feel.
But all remained dark and hopeless, until the pain stopped as sudden as it had come, and I was met with light. White, blinding light, surrounding me, consuming me. And then, I felt at peace. I felt no emotion, no more pain, no more anxiety over my decision, no sadness at all the time I had wasted whilst being in a coma. Nothing. I wondered if this was how it felt to die, but I was soon proven wrong.

Soon, the white light began to fade. Everything around me became grey and cold. I was still lying down, not able to move, or rather too scared to. I lay there for some time, until I decided to try and move. Suddenly, my arm twitched. But this time, along with the similar feeling came movement. I opened my mouth and took a deep breath of the cold air. Joy and relief had overcome me. I turned my head, and saw my arm lift up, slowly. My arm felt as if it was filled with metal, but I knew this was because I hadn’t used my muscles in over a year and a half. Still, I was able to move. I felt alive. It felt delightful to be able to move an arm, something I have always taken for granted.
I wished I could stand up, but my body had just awakened from a deep sleep, and so it didn’t obey me. All I could do so far was to roll over, pressing my face against the cold ground. Still, I was enjoying every feeling. The coldness on my face was worth a thousand times of happiness, a thousand memories.
After numerous attempts, I was able to sit up. I turned my head back, exercising my stiff neck, to try and understand where I was. But all I could see was mist. I wondered if I was dead, or alive, or dreaming - either way, I didn’t care. Now that I could control my body, I didn’t care where I was. Because, even in my dreams, I continued to be still. Actually, I stopped having dreams about six weeks into my coma. My dreams consisted of blankness, or jagged memories attempting to make their way out of the back of my head. But now, it felt real. I felt real. Finally, I was thanking the gods for letting me attempt to escape. Finally, a decision I had made changed my life for the better.

Still not being able to stand, I pulled myself along the ground into the mist. Soon enough, I was able to recognise something small on the road a couple of metres from me. As I got closer, I realised it was simply a rock. But to me, it was a precious jewel. I reached out and grabbed the rock with my heavy hand. Shivers ran down my back from excitement; I ran my fingers along its surface, held it in the palm of my hand, and then carefully put it back where it belonged. After realising I still could not stand, I continued my crawl. I got stronger with every time I pushed myself off the ground, got stronger with every breath, every tension in my muscle. Finally, I could stand on my knees, which never was a grand achievement for me, before. But now, it was a triumph. I looked around again, now starting to actually wonder where I was.
I suddenly knew I wanted to sleep, but I couldn’t allow myself to do that. I was too excited to discover everything around me again, like a newborn baby - curious and fearless. But the mist was too thick to see very far. All I could do was crawl along the empty road to somewhere. Then, I could see buildings. Shapeless at first, but gaining detail with every push, they stood high above the dirty road, but were empty, and as grey as the mist. It wasn’t long before I realised that I could walk with my back straight. Minutes dragged on, and I was slowly getting to some kind of settlement. Little did I know that it was abandoned, very recently. Unfortunately, my energy only lasted for so long. As soon as I was near a doorstep, my weakness and tiredness gave in. I started to look around me, studying my surroundings. The walls of the buildings were shedding grey paint, most windows exposed sharp shiny edges of dim, broken glass. Some pieces had fallen out into the oily looking puddles on the dry ground. The tall trees which have planted their roots deep into the soil, let the wind pass through and shake their faint, weak leaves. Moreover, there was an oppressing silence. I didn’t quite remember what a city looked like, as I have lived in the country most of my life. I dragged myself across the doorstep, and pressed my back against the wall. Near me was a small puddle of water, I leaned over to see my reflection. But, what I saw was far from anything I could have expected.

I had golden, shimmering hair, and bright green eyes. Now, all I could see was a hollow face drained of blood, and thin white hair. My eyes were the colour of the world around me - grey and empty. I moved away - the sight was terrifying. I didn’t look alive. I mean, I expected to look different after being in a coma for such a while, but I didn’t expect to look like a ghost. My whole body looked weak and drained of energy, of blood. I felt sick, so I turned away and stared into nothingness. Suddenly, all my happiness vanished into the mist, and my hopes turned into unanswered questions.
Am I dead?
That question kept bothering me. I had no idea where I was, what I was meant to do, I wasn’t sure of anything at all. I almost couldn’t recognise my own reflection. I felt lost and alone now.
But what did I expect? If I was adventurous enough to separate my mind and my body...
A sudden breeze made me freeze in place. At first, I thought it was the wind, but the dry leaves on the ground didn’t move an inch. And then I knew I wasn’t alone. Because of my sudden worry, I was breathing heavily, to the point that it hurt to expand my fragile lungs. And then, I heard footsteps. I lifted my eyes and saw a boy, no older than sixteen walking in my direction. He looked terrified, lost and confused, and maybe that’s why I didn’t see him as a threat - I was in a similar state of mind. I stood up, slowly, not to alarm him. I didn’t want him to run away from me, I would love to find something about where I was from this boy. His brown hair was falling upon his dark eyes, he looked weak and fragile. I also noticed a huge wound on his right arm, half-healed, crimson blood forming a protective shell over the cut. He kept staring down, watching his tired feet drag across the tarmac. I guess I couldn’t do anything to make him aware of my presence, so I simply stood and watched. Finally, the boy lifted his head, only for his eyes to shine terror. I didn’t move, but couldn’t imagine what I should do next. Should I speak? Should I step forward? Instead, I forced out a small smile. The boy couldn’t take his eyes off me - he just stared, also afraid to make a move. This dragged on for longer than I expected, so I slowly opened my mouth, and spoke:
‘Can you see me? Can you... see me?’

He didn’t reply, but seemed to relax a little. Finally, he nodded. Slowly but surely, I began moving forward, towards him. After the distance between us had shortened for me to see him very clearly, he stepped back, still afraid.
‘Don’t fear me - I am as confused and frightened as you are’.
The boy replied quietly, but in a clear voice:
‘You’re a spirit.’
‘I have no idea who I am’.
The boy looked down again, and muttered:
‘I could say the same about myself.’
He looked right into my eyes then, and presented himself:
‘I’m Delem. I am a deserter, and probably deserve to die’.
I took another step forward, trying to make him feel more comfortable with me. If he was a deserter, then he could just as well be a soldier, and can tell me about the war.
‘I am not here to bring you to justice, Delem. I am simply an observer. But I have awakened from a long sleep, and have no idea how the world has changed.’
I felt more confident, more strong. A sudden warmth flowed through me, a wave of energy. It was so wonderful, and I have felt joy, for the first time in years. Delem began talking, this time more careful in choosing his words:
‘Well, I don’t know much about how the war started. But all I know was that we found a new form of life on an asteroid, brought it closer to the Earth, and discovered ... you guys. Spirits. I don’t know how the spirits and humans became enemies.’
I was surprised, and not sure I understood that clearly:
‘So, you are fighting a war, whilst not knowing what for?’
‘In some way, yes. Please... step away, I feel very weak every time you step closer’.
Suddenly, I knew that all the positive emotions I have been getting from this boy, this deserter, who I knew nothing about, but seemed like someone with a good heart. I stepped away, just as he had asked, and felt my senses calm down and positive emotions fade. Though, I continued the conversation:
‘Is that why you deserted?’
‘Because I didn’t know what I was fighting for. And, in that battle, I wasn’t fighting spirits. I was ordered to kill my own. I couldn’t. I was meant to be killed, but I managed to escape.’
I was so impressed by this boy’s actions. He deserted, escaped death, and now stood, talking to someone he didn’t know, someone strange. He can’t trust anyone in this world, but he chose to talk to me.
‘Delem, you have a good heart. I can feel it.’
He looked down again, and I could clearly see the shame hidden in his eyes.
‘I fought those who opposed the military - those who thought that spirits were good, and we should leave them alone. I was told I was going to fight holograms, and instead, I was given orders to shoot the ones who didn’t agree with our views.’
I stepped away - I could see how I was draining his energy, without even noticing it. Delem sat down on the ground, and his helpless eyes looked up to me.
‘You must be a spirit. If you want my soul, you can take it. All you need to know is that it’s worthless and will be of no pleasure to take.’
‘Delem, I have woken from a coma. I don’t know if I am a spirit or not.’
Suddenly, Delem put his arms forward and put his palms together, as if to pray to me:
‘Please, take my pain. I can’t take it anymore. Please... I try to run away, I try to force myself to be stronger, but I can’t. Please, just take it... away....’
Tears started streaming from his eyes. I didn’t know what to do once again. It seemed like such a weird thing for me: to see someone bleed water out their eyes. But I know what he felt. It’s a natural instinct, even though I don’t even remember seeing anyone cry. I just knew that he was so upset that he wanted me to take his life. But that’s something I certainly didn’t want to do.
‘Delem, this is because of me. You are asking me this because I am standing next to you.’
I turned and walked away a couple of steps. Silence followed, I heard Delem sit up, wipe away his tears, and say:
‘You know, you become darker when you’re close to me. When you’re far, you shine white... just like an angel’.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:56 pm
Blues says...

Hi, Polinka! Here as requested!

Also, I do hope I didn't take too long to come to it. It's the weekend so I'm reviewing now when I have time :)
The good bits

First of all, let me just say that two paragraphs in, when Felix could move, I had a massive grin on my face. You know what that means? It means I care about your character enough to actually feel that emotion as if he was a friend of mine and this is only the second chapter from his point of view in. Which is excellent! Well done! :D

Gosh, have you ever woken from a coma? It's written so realistically. It's great! I could totally imagine that he would be stiff etc. It's really realistic!

Warm up over! XD

Improvements

Not really very many. Grammar was great and no typos :)

I have an improvement and ... it's a bit picky XD But here was a great place to reveal some back story, even just a bit. Because looking at it all, we knew all the info. Had he been conscripted - perhaps against his wish? What about his parents? How do these to connect, did they share a similar experience? Perhaps a little teaser on how Felix fell into a coma to hook us.

I have another nitpick:

you wrote:‘Delem, this is because of me. You are asking me this because I am standing next to you.’

I turned and walked away a couple of steps. Silence followed, I heard Delem sit up, wipe away his tears, and say:

‘You know, you become darker when you’re close to me. When you’re far, you shine white... just like an angel’.

Unless Felix now has awesome hearing, or he's not really that far, wouldn't hearing someone wipe his tears be a bit weird because it's not likely?

Overall
Overall, a great and nearly flawless chapter. I enjoyed it very much :) I like the ending a lot. I wonder how the two'll connect? :D

Keep Writing!
Mac

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:39 pm
Chirantha says...

Hey there,

I know, I know, it took me a long while to review this, so please forgive me. :D

Firstly, I really like the connection you made between the alternating characters, although I had a suspicion that this would be the route you are taking. Nevertheless, it's a good chapter and I like it.

Mistakes

no sadness at all the time I had wasted whilst being in a coma.

no sadness at all about the time I had wasted whilst being in a coma.

but I was soon proven wrong.

Soon, the white light began to fade.

You put the two "soons" too soon. ;) It'd be better to change the latter to "Then" or something along that meaning.

My arm felt as if it was filled with metal,

It's usually written as "Filled with lead" but it's your choice.

I think you meant "What I am" as he already who he is.

those who thought that spirits were good, and we should leave them alone.

Plot

I still don't understand this mysterious plot, but that's good because I'm so curious about how all this comes to a single conclusion in the end. Although I can see how various parts of the story connect to each other, but I know that there's some massive plot beneath the surface I'm scratching. I particularly liked the light thrown at the spirits depicting them as near-human beings rather than ghostly apparitions. But still I'm oblivious to the timeline of the story, because it seems to be mixing elements from both the future and the present. I think it would be best to hint the timeline of the story early on, unless you have done so before and I've missed it somehow.

Description

I love the descriptions, I mean really, they are written well and written at the correct time and also in the correct amount to suit the situation. The description that really stands out is this,

Still not being able to stand, I pulled myself along the ground into the mist. Soon enough, I was able to recognise something small on the road a couple of metres from me. As I got closer, I realised it was simply a rock. But to me, it was a precious jewel. I reached out and grabbed the rock with my heavy hand. Shivers ran down my back from excitement; I ran my fingers along its surface, held it in the palm of my hand, and then carefully put it back where it belonged. After realising I still could not stand, I continued my crawl. I got stronger with every time I pushed myself off the ground, got stronger with every breath, every tension in my muscle. Finally, I could stand on my knees, which never was a grand achievement for me, before. But now, it was a triumph.

In my mind, this was absolutely perfect, because you portrayed the feelings of a man awaken from the coma which are basically similar to those of a toddler. And you imitated those perfectly. Well done on that.

Character Description

Well, as you are not introducing any new character, there's no need for more character description, but I liked the way how Felix saw his reflection in a puddle of water. But as you actually were good in the character descriptions side, I won't go into it that much.

Overall, it was a good chapter, and served as the bridge between the two earlier unknown characters. So well done.

Good luck and I hope to read the next chapters soon. :D

- C -
Warden: "If you want to lead, all you have to do is ask."
Alistair: "What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I'm stranded somewhere without any pants."
- Dragon Age

Need a review?

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Hi Polinka! Here as requested! Sorry it's taken me so long to get to reviewing your new chapters, I've been busy, but I promise I'm on it now!

I really really liked this chapter! It's beautifully written which I think suits this chapter well. I'm glad the two characters (Felix and Delem) have finally merged stories a bit and we can begin to see the various parts of this story coming together a bit at last.

Maybe that was because I haven’t felt pain in such a long time that it seemed too strong, and in fact, horrifying.

To maintain tense, this should be 'hadn't'. There are a few other places where this happens. Try reading back through to pick up on those things. ;)

I wondered if this was how it felt to die, but I was soon proven wrong.

Soon, the white light began to fade

The second soon is redundant, considering it was mentioned in the sentence before. Also, prose tends to become stronger without crutch words like 'soon' or 'suddenly' or 'out of nowhere'. They have their times when they're appropriate (it would be appropriate here without the soon in the previous sentence) but it's almost always better if you can go without them.

Actually, I stopped having dreams about six weeks into my coma.

How does he know how long he's been in the coma, if he's in a coma? I don't think thats something he would be aware of, considering his brain function would have been minimal at best (and probably only confined to dreams).

He kept staring down, watching his tired feet drag across the tarmac.

Tarmac? I wasn't quite anticipating a village with something like blacktop (tarmac) on the roads. Maybe consider adjusting that, or be a little more clear about the state of this place he's in? I kind of imagined a run-down wasteland type village with falling down shack-like houses and dirt roads.

Shouldn't this be 'what I am'? He knows who he is, doesn't he?

Suddenly, I knew that all the positive emotions I have been getting from this boy, this deserter, who I knew nothing about, but seemed like someone with a good heart.

This sentence doesn't make sense. It seems you had one purpose for it when you started, but the end didn't end up fulfilling that purpose. If that makes sense. xD

The only other thing is that I'm still a little lost on the whole plot of the thing. This could be from the disjointed way I'm reading it, or partly because of the format. I wouldn't worry too much about that yet, this is only chapter four and there's plenty of time for the plot to become more clear. We'll see where we are in a few chapters and I'll let you know. ;)

Overall, another great chapter! Can't wait to get on the next one!

Keep writing!

-Lauren-
Got YWS?

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:54 pm
confetti says...

I liked the beginning bit right off the bat. It was interesting and free from ranting. Your story feels like it's getting better and better with each passing chapter.

was still lying down, not able to move, or rather too scared to.

unable
But this time, along with the similar feeling, came movement.

I turned my head, and saw my arm lift up, slowly.

no need for the comma
All I could do so far was to roll over, pressing my face against the cold ground.

I turned my head back, exercising my stiff neck, to try and trying to understand where I was.

Still not being able to stand, I pulled myself along the ground into the mist.

Again, "unable" here would add more flow, yeah?
I looked around again, now starting to actually wonder where I was.

This sounds a bit awkward. "I looked around again, wondering where I was." <- see how easy it is to cut out all those unnecessary words? This is what your story needs - a good pruning. Once it has that, it should be golden.
Shapeless at first, but gaining detail with every push, they stood high above the dirty road, but were empty, and as grey as the mist.

This is one of those instances where you could afford to make this into two sentences. "They were shapeless at first, but gaining detail with every push. The buildings stood high above the dirt road, empty and as grey as the mist itself." You dig?
As soon as I was near a doorstep, my weakness and tiredness gave in

Bit awkward. You could try saying something about how he's exhausted, I suppose.
But, what I saw was far from anything I could have expected.

And now I'm extremely excited.
‘Can you see me? Can you... see me?’

AHH, I love stories that come together like this. This is great.
It was so wonderful, and I have felt joy, for the first time in years.

Awkwardly phrased. Try something like: "It was so wonderful, the feeling of joy after so many years without it." Well, that doesn't sound amazing, but you get the picture, right? Shake things up a bit, try different ways of phrasing it, until you hit something that satisfies you.
I was so impressed by this boy’s actions.

You could change this to: "I was impressed." Plain, simple, effective. You explain that it's his actions in the next sentence, so the reader will easily understand why.
t seemed like such a weird thing for me: to see someone bleed water out their eyes.

Bleed water frankly just sounds odd. I don't think that it's necessary to phrase it like that.

Some overall thoughts, of course:

I will admit, I was pretty confused. This is the boy in the coma, yes? So wouldn't he still be in the hospital? That is, unless he woke up somewhere different and that's the point. If so, I think the character needs to take more note of this. Maybe he starts wondering why he isn't in the hospital or how he go to be where he is. Right now, it's enough to make me stop to make sure I didn't miss anything important.

There are parts when you say things like "all I could see" "all I could do". I would suggest mixing these up, this phrase has become too common in your writing. Find new ways to phrase things, it would certainly take out a lot of the awkward spots.
Also, you use "Suddenly," too often when a character realizes something. That could definitely be shaken up.

I think the characters figure out odd things much too quickly. For instance - Felix shouldn't immediately understand what he's doing to Delem, you know? Think about it, would you understand it immediately? Definitely not.

Other than that, I like the direction the plot is headed and I truly think that this story has the potential to be great. Just fix up the writing and the small plot holes and you'll be set.
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

Memories, left untranslated, can be disowned; memories untranslatable can become someone else’s story.
— YiYun Li