Young Writers Society

Lerra

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:24 am
View Likes
joshuapaul says...

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an attempt to garner your sympathy. I don’t want it; consider this an explanation, a sigh before the departure. They said I should write a will.

Will you love me forever?
Yes, forever.
Is this love?
Yes you know it is, I love you.

I hear it every day before I sleep.

I will start at the beginning, I can’t remember it all but I will do my best.

It was an angry October afternoon. I was rolling out from beneath the damp-with-sweat covers when the thick grey clouds finally broke. I needed a drink and the rain wasn’t going to stop me. I spilled a few painkillers down the back of my sticky tongue then took the Commodore out to Derek's Tavern.

Derek was totting a couple of empty kegs around the back when I pulled up. His heavy brow fell as he studied my windscreen. I let the car stall and opened the door.

“Paul? Chirst,” he began dropping the kegs to scratch at his greying hair, “I didn’t expect to see you this early, not after last night.”

"Sorry if I made a scene, Derek. it’s the first time I have seen her since... well you know.”

“Yeah, guess I do.”

I asked if I could get a drink and he told me he wasn’t opening up for a half an hour. So I said I'd wait in the car, he sighed and said "Come on in, I s'pose."

It was last night’s scene, well what I can remember of last night. Except the tables had been turned back on their feet and the glass had been swept away. The stale petri dish air itched my lungs like fleece and the TV recycled sports highlights.

“A Bloody Mary, A shot of tequila and a Pint of stout please, Derek.” His eyes moved sideways before he turned and poured my order, he set it on the bar then moved outside with a keg under each arm.

I got to drinking and boy did it help. My dad’s old trick, ‘hair of the dog,’ he had called it. Bloody Mary, first, Tequila next, then the stout, which goes down by the mouthful.

It wasn’t long until I had forgotten my aching jaw, my throbbing head and sandy mouth. Derek reluctantly poured me another Stout and it went down like medicine. From the miserable gray outside came a few of the locals, all double taking when they saw me, then consoling the percieved hurt with, hey pal, forget her and him, it’s not worth it, before finding their usual spots and leaving me alone.

They were talking about my wife, but she has nothing to do with what happened and neither does her new man, Jock (or Dom, or Kramer, who cares?) so I won’t mention that whore again. All I can say is they won’t be turning up to my local again anytime soon.

I drank steadily through the afternoon and half the evening and the place was starting to look a little crowded, some co-eds had stopped by and Derek put the game on for them. They came over and stole away the stools surrounding my spot but I didn’t care, I wasn’t there for company.

I didn’t realise how much I had drunk until I stood for a leak and damn near lost my footing on the way to the gents. Derek saw me slip, or so he later told the judge.

When I got back my stool was gone, but I didn’t mind, I really didn’t. I didn’t mind leaning on the bar, but journalists would explain this was what started it. Believe me when I tell you, this had nothing to do with it. I wasn’t ready to make another scene like the night before, so I ignored it. I did notice one of the co-eds was sitting; he had been standing before I left for the bathroom. He was burly, in a black letterman, a Jock if ever I saw one. But like I said, these things don’t get me down and it didn’t that night.

I kept drinking, leaning on the bar, tipping Derek big to keep him from rejecting me another. It was early in the evening but I was drunk and he knew it. That’s when she came in. No, not my wife again. Not even close. The finest thing to ever step in that hick-town dive. She seemed to sap the warmth from the room, but in a good way, like ice on a burn. She had those deep black eyes you see in horror films, the sort of eyes you have to stare into for a moment before you can look away. She came by and everyone watched her, and as she walked closer to me I could feel my heart thumping and not even four fingers of stout could curb the bubbling excitement (I say excitement, because I really don’t know what it was, anxiety, panic?) Then she got close, and the black of her eyes shined, like fresh drops of ink on milky parchment. She had a head like Mona Lisa, not because she was beautiful, now I know she wasn’t, but it was in her oval face, the way her long hair fell straight and her slender frame.

I wanted to say something clever but it never came, instead she spoke first.
“What does a lady have to do to get a seat and a drink?”

“What are you drinking?”

“Vodka tonic.”

I ordered one and another stout for me. She asked me what my name was and what I did, and I wanted to say I’m an author, Paul the author she would have said. But I wasn’t about lying.
“I’m a mechanic, well I was but I quit. I want to be an author,” I said pausing for a sip, “ I didn’t catch your name.”

“Lerra,” she said and she reached out for my hand and when I gripped it, I was suddenly sober, surging with energy.

“That was my mother’s name,” I said and she laughed.

“So I have a drink, you going to fetch me a seat?”

I turned, casting about the place. There were a few truckers downing beers and the locals moped about at the other end of the bar, and there was those damn co-eds, flipping coins and slamming back shots and throwing their heads back in laughter. I walked over to the big boy in the letterman.

“Get up.”

“What?” he said, standing, turning and looking down at me with a scowl.

“This is my seat,” I said, “ And that one there is my girl’s.” I pointed at his buddy who wore a dopey grin like this was all his favourite sitcom and the punch line was coming. But it never came. Derek hustled along the bar as quick as he could leaving a pint foaming under the tap.

“Now Paul, take it easy pal.” Derek began, then he eyed the big boy with wanting eyes as if to say leave it alone. I’ll be damned if those two jocks didn’t up and give me those stools.

She was impressed, she didn’t look when I returned but I could tell she was impressed and it was the best feeling in the world, making her happy. It wasn’t sexual. Any other young thing that came my way I would have sapped over her with the sad old tale in a bid to get her home, but not Lerra, no she was different. The longer she stayed with me the stronger it grew. Derek was chuckling down the end with the locals, and those Jocks had enough tequila and Bud in them to stir a bad idea. Eventually it came, accompanied by protests from their girls. With chests full of courage, they steamed toward me.

I could see them, but I didn’t flinch, Lerra had me dazed, until I felt a big hand clap on my shoulder and grip like a manacle. He pulled me, swung me around on the stool.

“You want to go outside, old man.”

I’m don't enjoy fighting. But I was overcome with an unfamiliar rage, and I think the boys got a whiff of it as a little weariness appeared in their eyes before they shook it and forced their faces into that hardened stare their football coach probably gave them. Lerra was whispering do it, I swear to god she said it and I would have done anything she said at that stage.

I turned to her and her breath was cold against my skin as she spoke.
“Kill him.”

The last time I had that feeling was on my wedding day. My father wasn’t invited to the ceremony but no one was going to keep him from the reception. That’s when I decked him, first time I ever saw him cry, last time I ever saw him alive.

I didn’t wait to get outside. I hit the big jock good. One - two, nose and mouth. I felt it crunch, then the blood came. He swung his fist like a brick on a chain. I ducked then got him once in the gut, pulled his shirt up and threw him to the ground. I lifted my boot, and pumped my leg. My heel came down with all my weight then up and down like a piston. His shoulders slumped and his head turned after the first stomp, but I didn’t stop. Blood was starting from his eyes and ears and mouth.

People screamed. His buddy watched for a second, unsure whether to hit me or run, then he came at me like a line backer. I wasn’t done. I shrugged him off and let go with an elbow to the nose. Then I was back with my heel, the sound was like fresh kindling being split, one stick at a time.

His buddy had recovered.

“You’re going to kill him.” There was a desperate inflection at kill.

Others were moving toward me now, I let go, he was done. I rushed for the door, everyone was too stunned to stop me. I was fifty yards up the thirteen, away from the glow of the single lamp outside Derek’s tavern, when I turned back. She was close behind, there in the moonlight, in her hand was a gas can.

“Do it.”

Dad used to tell me, when things get bad you get busy running or you stand up and fight. I never knew what he meant until that moment. He ended his life with a hand gun on his sixtieth birthday, he left a note for me.

I took that gas can. I circled that bar as quick as my old legs would take me, pouring that can ‘til the sound of gas splashing against the wood panels of the bar ceased. I knew the cops wouldn’t be far off. Lerra lit the match, I swear it, and I swore it when they asked me in hospital. No one believed this. She took that match, her eyes lewd and frenzied. She lit that sonofabitch and up it went. Flames clutching at the moon.

Most of them survived, a couple of those damn co-eds burnt to death trying to get their buddy out. By the time the police and firefighters whirled onto the scene, I was so far up the thirteen I could have left that town forever, might have got across the state, up through Minnesota and into Canada. Start a new life with Lerra, so they say. I had the Commodore up around one-twenty but I couldn’t keep my eyes on the road, no. Not with the way she was looking at me, her eyes shining like polished jet and her lips parting.

“Do it.”

I would be damned if I didn’t grip that hand brake and yank it, sending the Commodore spinning into the gravel medium.

Dad used to tell me women come and go, family is forever. But he was the biggest sucker for big tits and red lips I ever met. I walked in to my parents’ room when I was ten years old and there, squat up on his dick like some grotesque caramel apple, was our plump neighbour, her thighs road-mapped with varicose veins, her eyes ecstatic, and when she stopped the folds of fat kept rocking. She was my mother’s friend before my mother died. “Paul,” she said and I screamed. I have never told anyone this, it’s funny what you can get out when you know you are going to die, ha-ha!

When it was over Lerra stroked my face with the back of her fingers.

She still watched me, and I put the Commodore back in gear and stood on the pedal. The cab filled with the tang of singed rubber but we just laughed. She reached over and held my hand. I got the commodore back up to one-twenty, I still didn’t have a plan, though looking back Canada was mixed somewhere in my thoughts. I remember thinking I can drive this old Commodore into Remmars Quarry up the road from my old home and I would die happy, me and Lerra both. She must have seen the thought cross my face and as we thundered along. With no light but the beams cast outside, she spoke.

“Will you love me forever?”

“Yes, forever.”

“Is this love.”

“Yes you know it is, I love you.”

Then as we approached Hunters Bridge, before the over pass, she reached over. Her slender hand wrapped the wheel and she whispered.

“ Do it.”

Then together we pulled that wheel down. The tires squealed in protest as we turned hard. I remember when we hit. And no one believes me, not my lawyer, not the judges, not the journalists. But you can believe me or you can be damned because this is what happened. When we hit, the Commodore seemed to fold over itself and hurtle up onto the rail. We were suspended for a moment, in an impossible limbo on the edge of the bridge. She looked at me and seemed to age by the second, her skin fell loose and elongated into a melting wax mask. Her hair was suddenly wisps of grey tangled in black. But, her eyes were still cold dark. It felt like a gallon of concrete mix sunk down my throat into my gut. She was fading.

Then the balance broke and as we fell, she stood, slipped and escaped out the window. That is all I remember until I woke in hospital. It’s a funny thing. I was a few ounces of blood away from death, but they saved me, just to kill me later.

The survivors can’t remember her. After Jimmy Lowe almost beat a man to death in the car park, Derek had a camera installed outside. They showed me the footage, and Lerra must have known it was there, because she avoided it. They tell me that the vodka tonic I ordered sat on the bar until that place went up in flames. They say she’s not real; the shrinks talk about my mother and my father and my whore wife. And I laugh and spit in their faces, because that’s what Lerra would want. I know she’s out there, I hope she makes it to Canada before they find her. Cause she lit that match and it’s better for me to die than her.

Spoiler! :
Inspired entirely by King, and his tale Nona
Last edited by joshuapaul on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Read my latest

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:55 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

Well I loved this personally. It's so dark and twisted, and I have a terrible enjoyment for things like this. There were grammar things here and there, but I really only had one honest problem with this story. During the fight scene, he may have been an aggressive attacker but what's the chance of him dodging continuous blows from a guy who's younger/fitter/faster/stronger than he is? Particularly when he's so drunk he nearly fell when getting to his feet. Of course, he's such an unreliable narrator that god knows what really happened and what didn't! This was totally bizarre, in a totally epic way. *Liked*
Keep writing,
StoryWeaver

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:43 am
manisha says...

wow! that was seriously dark and paranormal! I like the way paul's narration flows. it somehow added to the creepiness of the whole plot.
when i started reading i didnt actually get the start. but i completely understood the beginning after the end. :)

She came by and everyone watched her
lerra doesnt excatly exist right? how is that everyone is watching her? or is it a figment of paul's imagination? just curious.

Dad used to tell me, when things get bad you get busy running or you stand up and fight. I never knew what he meant until that moment. He ended his life with a hand gun on his sixtieth birthday, he left a note for me.quote]
i didnt understand the need for the lines in bold. its mention doesnt hold any significance.

Lerra lit the match, I swear it, and I swore it when they asked me in hospital. No one believes this

no one believed it ? cuz asked is in past tense

loved the way it ended. a touch of creepiness, twist and darknesss really made it a success!

- manisha
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

Reviews: 3
Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:03 am
View Likes
DeathlyHallow says...

I havent finished it but I will come back
~~Just Because It's in your head, does not mean it doesn't exist~~

146 Reviews

Reviews: 146
Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:52 pm
Dragongirl says...

My biggest problem with this was that you called it a horror story. Maybe something's wrong with me but this didn't give me that creepy feeling in my gut that you should get from a horror story. I felt like it was missing a key element.I wasn't sure if I should hate Lerra or like her. I knew where the story was headed the whole time because you told us in the beginning he was waiting to die. When you have him say they told him he should make a will.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t an attempt to garner your sympathy. I don’t want it; consider this an explanation, a sigh before the departure. They said I should write a will, anyway.

To be honest, I think that your opening lines here are unecessary and when you take them away it doesn't change the story, other than maybe to make it more suspenseful.

I have never told anyone this, it’s funny what you can get out when you know you are going to die, ha-ha!

I didn't like that ha-ha here. No one writes ha-ha, plus we already know the MC thinks it is funny because he says as much. The ha-ha just messes up the flow.

However your writing style is very good and you did weave a mysterious feel through out your tale. I thought it was interesting and it keeped me reading to the end. Thanks for the read and keep writing.
~DG
"Every writer I know has trouble writing." - Joseph Heller

~ A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need advice.~
- Bill Cosby

280 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:25 am
joshuapaul says...

Thanks DG.

I will briefly cover two points.

1) I want the reader to know he is going to die, I want it to be clear he does something terrible enough to end on death row. The twist isn't the fact he gets caught, the twist is
Spoiler! :
the fact Nona is a fragment of his imagination, a combination of his loathe for his ex wife, and his longing for a motherly figure. It's a play on how stress and trauma can snap the delicate fibers of ones sanity. Nona doesn't exist, everything about her is imagined, like those who see a pond and palms, dehydrated and desperate in the desert. The human mind is capable of conjuring almost anything, provided the individual is desperate enough. The exposition is his reluctance to acknowledge she isn't real. He will die happy, because he believes she burnt those people alive, and she got away. The only woman he ever loved.

2) Almost nobody writes ha-ha! That grandfather of modern horror (King) still uses the expression. I know what you mean, it annoys me sometimes, when writers say it instead of saying 'I/he/she laughed.' But it also gives it that colloquial feel, reminds the reader that the narrator isn't a writing a story, but telling a story. He is capable of anger and laughter, and like a diary entry, he writes it. But it certainly is a valid point. And I will be weary of it in the future!

Now the horror thing, I said 'Horror, in a way.' And it is,
Spoiler! :
A Morticia Adams-esque character emerges and inspires the prot. to stomp a poor boys skull than burn a bunch of people alive, then attempting to kill himself, but not before transfiguring into a wax like creep and mysteriously escaping out the window of a car plummeting of a brifge, and there isn't a horror element?

Anyway thanks again!
Read my latest

245 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 245
Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:02 pm
sargsauce says...

I found it rather obvious that Lerra wasn't real, but that doesn't necessarily break the story. When you revealed she wasn't real, you didn't act like it was a fantastic twist or an earth shattering revelation like Fight Club did, so that's why it doesn't break. Also, the way that the surreality ratchets up at the end and she dissolves from the car allows us to let go of her slowly. But yeah, the fact that 1) she only talks to the narrator and 2) how she immediately hones in on him and talks him up and 3) her one-track, impulse-laden, one-liner "Do it" was rather a giveaway that she was just a voice.

and again when I wake.

Eh. It doesn't contribute much. To say "I hear it before I sleep" is more a matter of hyperbole than to be taken literally...so to tack on the "again when I wake" just kind of downgrades it from "a saying" to "words and information."

“Paul? Chirst,” He began

Either
"Paul? Christ." He began...
or
"Paul? Christ," he began...
Also
I want to be an author.” I said

...author," I said...
Also
"Paul." She said

"Paul," she said.

It was last night’s scene, well what I can remember of last night. The tables had been turned back on their feet and the glass had been swept away.

The information conveyed here is a bit messy. I know what you're trying to say, but the words aren't really saying it. What it says is that the scene in the bar is as he remembers it--nice and neat. But obviously things turned out otherwise last night...so really, we know that the scene he remembers--or should be remembering--is a messy bar room brawl scene. Anyway, no big deal, just a bit of a disconnect.

I liked the flash forward references to what Derek tells the judge later or what the journalists say about his behavior.

"I didn’t catch your name?”

Not a question.

Derek began, then he eyed the big boy with wanting eyes as if to say leave it alone.

I liked this tense moment. A little cliche, but it gets the point across well.

I’m not one to fight, I hate violence.

This is in direct conflict with everything you've hinted at about the night before. It's possible that he could have a disillusioned view of himself, but the earlier line of this
All I can say is they won’t be turning up to my local again anytime soon.

combined with the turned over tables and broken glass of the night before and also how easily he demanded the stools from the jocks and also how Derek warned the boys to leave it alone--they hint at some kind of machismo or craziness that fringes on violence. But then this
I hadn’t hurt anyone in a long time.

throws out the window the image we had created of Paul earlier. I know you never explicitly said Paul was violent earlier, but all signs had pointed towards it...then you pull a sharp turn and make Paul a softie. If Paul has no history of violence, then why was Derek so frantic to give the jock the "leave it alone" look earlier?

He looped a big knuckle

Nothing bad, but I feel like the word "looped" appears in a good chunk of your stories, and it kinda sticks out to me. Just making sure you know.

Then I was back with my heel, the sound was like fresh kindling being split, one stick at a time.

Gruesome and appropriate. However, this
But it wasn’t needles of wood that hit the concrete, it was his minced skull.

with the "but it wasn't needles of wood" ruined it a bit by making it too literal again. It's like this scene in this short funny film called Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog where the main character is competing with his rival Captain Hammer for a girl. And Captain Hammer woos the girl and brags about it meanwhile.

he left a note for me.

And that note was...?

and those keys

What keys? Yeah, I guess his car keys, but you didn't reference the keys earlier.

She lit that sonofabitch and up it went. Most of them survived, a couple of those damn co-eds burnt to death trying to get their buddy out.

By the time the police and firefighters whirled onto the scene

Feels like a missed opportunity for at least some kind of comment on the fire. All we have is "up it went. Some people died."

When it was over Lerra pulled the seat back up,

What? Back up from where?

Anyway, an all right read. A premise of "the devil made me do it" that many of us are familiar with in storytelling, but it's certainly presented in an appropriately visceral whirlwind.
I don't think we really got a sense of Paul's take on the whole thing. He goes about recounting his experiences rather unaffectedly, besides him not liking jocks and the power of Lerra's eyes. If it were a straight narration, that would probably be fine, but this is his "manifesto" and he's reflecting on the events and wants us to believe his version of it.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Guess who! Uh yeah... that wasn't hard ^^

Specifics

1. I like the opening but the last line just knocks the whole thing down. It was a beautiful set up until then but, there's something about the 'anyway' that throws it off and lightens it up too much. I think you need to keep it firm and keep it sure. Solid and cynical. It can't turn breezy. It's... I'm finding it hard to explain but I'd suggest something like, 'Consider it my written will and testimony' or maybe 'This is just something left behind'. Have a think about it.

2. The next few sets of lines are a bit too unoriginal for my liking. Just start. Don't give us any more prelude. Just dive straight into it and tell us the story.

"Sorry if I made a scene, Derek. it’s the first time I have seen her since, well you know.”
Awkward dialogue! People don't really speak like that. It just doesn't happen. I'm sure we mean to sometimes, but it would be more likely to come out as: "Sorry if I made a scene, Derek. It's just, it's the first time I've seen her since... well since, you know..." or if he's good with his words, even then it would be more like, "Sorry if I made a scene last night, Derek. It's the first time I've seen her since, well you know."

4. Still a little slow for a few paragraphs and then just a bit before the girl comes in, bam! Your momentum comes out of nowhere. Now, if the other paragraphs could read like this section, that would be really something.

5. I hope you didn't want me to be surprised that Lerra wasn't real? I took that as pretty much a given from the start and didn't really waver on it at any point. She just didn't seem real. I mean, that's not a bad thing in itself, though it does leave your story without a surprise. But I don't know that it needs a surprise? It's enough of a ride at the end to survive without one I think.

Overall

Okay so the power and the drive at the end are enough for me to say that this was great, pretty amazing in fact. It's certainly my favourite piece of yours so far but there's still something missing, some kind of key element that just isn't there. I've been struggling to put my finger on what it is - other than the slow beginning, that is - but I think I'm getting there. I think it's Paul. The problem is, there's no clear cut emotions at the beginning. There isn't any sense that he regrets this or is glad about this or... there just isn't the set up there. There isn't the sugegstion that he doesn't want to die or that he feels/ doesn't feel that he deserves it. He's pretty much hollow on that ground altogether. Which isn't right. Even if he's ten tonne of crazy, he should feel some way about his up-comming death. Either it's a relief or it's unwanted. I just felt you needed something there to frame it.

There also needs to be some form of relevation. Now, not a surprise. As I said before, you have enough drive not to need that, but we need to learn something about this character in the process of the story, other than that he's crazy. We need to invest in him on some level, either like him or dislike him or... well something? I thought there were elements of his character that were good and he had a very strong voice but I neither liked/ disliked/ feared him. I just didn't get any emotional attachment to this piece. Maybe if I'd like the people in the bar more, I'd have cared that this guy blew it up without even thinking about his friend's safety. By the way, I'd like to see more there on the match being Lerra. Was he angry with her for that, even fleetingly? Does he think he had no intention of going through with it? Just... I want inside his head some more?

Characters

Flesh Lerrra out! Okay so she's an extension of his mind but do give her more than just the 'do it' and make her mean more than just what she is to him. I know she's not really a character as such but through our opinion of her, we should add to our opinion of him. Treat Lerra as another side of him, a side that wnats to get out, a side that wants to do these things and has reasons for them and justifications. A side that has stories and memories and warps them all as though they were another person's, but they're his. Give these guys some conversations, have some fun. Don't leave us cut and dry with 'character' and 'character's imagination'. Instead, give us 'character' and 'character's suppressed side/ memories/ feelings'.

That's about it to be honest, thanks for the read and I'll see if I get around to the other piece on Thurs,

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:41 am
camronmarshall says...

I really didn't expect to see this sort of thing when I signed up for this website. It's intelligent and well constructed. This reminds me a little of 'American Pyscho.' I think you could make this a little longer, perhaps have a few more evil acts mixed in. I didn't know Lerra was a figment of his imagination until towards the end. She's monotonic, and a little bit cliche. Like I said, I really didn't expect much quality on this site. I will contact you if I get the courage to post here.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:30 pm
SmylinG says...

I'm finally here. :mrgreen:

Always a pleasure to read good honest work like this, JP. Not to pat you on the back too much, as I have an honest tendency of doing, but your short stories always seem to hold that cohesiveness that is sometimes a bit rough in short stories like this. Though there is always obviously room for improvement, you seem to shock me with your writing being so great at first draft. Allow me to get into a couple things though.

I'm going to have to disagree with Sarge on one point he made about Lerra. I didn't take her as being not real or as some figment of the narrator's imagination. At least not at first. In my opinion you were quite able to sustain the believability of her character belonging to existence rather than not. It wasn't until the point around where she was whispering things to him and being all demonic sounding I maybe figured she was a sort of sinful icon some women may be depicted as. For this I laughed, because I know you had the whole bit about his ex wife shuffled into the beginning. So yeah, there was definitely some grounds you gave that led me to believe this character could be real toward the beginning of your story.

One thing I was sort of at odds with was the way in which you lend the narrator's view. You never directly tell how he feels or his impression of how things happen, you leave his feeling up to the audience's impression. Which works in some cases, and perhaps this is simply a personal style of yours. I never am directly clued into how Paul feels himself or what he thinks about anything that has happened to him, though. I suppose I sort of got the same vibe from Fog. In any sense, you want to combine telling with feeling. They kind of go hand in hand.

As for a few smaller things:

All I can say is they wouldn't be turning up to my local again anytime soon. 

The tensing in this paragraph sounded a bit off. Reading things aloud usually helps. Though I'm sure that's not advice you haven't already heard before.

That’s when I decked him(.) First time I ever saw him cry, last time I ever saw him alive.

More run-ons, Jp? ;] I found a few more scattered about. Fix them.

Dad used to tell me, when things get bad you get busy running or you stand up and fight. I never knew what he meant until that moment. He ended his life with a hand gun on his sixtieth birthday, he left a note for me.

You really lost me here with the closing bit about he left a note for me. Was the advice what was in the note? I'm not sure because it translated a bit funny. Perhaps it could be slightly rewritten.

I have never told anyone this, it’s funny what you can get out when you know you are going to die, ha-ha!

I'm not sure why the MC laughs here. It seems out of step. I feel like I could read this without the ha-ha! and it'd still be quite fine. Little opinions though.

“Is this love(?)"

You know your punctuation, you're 23. xD

Anyway, I think I can call things good here, for it's wise to leave what's already been said as said. I really think your previous reviewers had a lot of helpful feedback to lend you, and so I hope you'll take in much of the opinions and advice and tighten up this story till it's flawless. (Or at least close.) Hope anything I mentioned may be of some help to you. As always keep writing. Will be looking out for future works. Or, you know, you can just post a comment on my wall. ;]

-Smylin'
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:24 am
confetti says...

I've had this bookmarked and labelled "REVIEW THIS" for days now, sorry for the procrastination.

I spilled a few painkillers down the back of my sticky tongue then took the Commodore out to Derek's Tavern.

"sticky" seems so out of place. I don't feel like I'm getting the right image in my head.
I asked if I could get a drink and he told me he wasn’t opening up for a half an hour. So I said I'd wait in the car, he sighed and said "Come on in, I s'pose."

I'm not really feeling the whole show and tell without the show you have going on here. I feel like use of actual dialogue would work better.
The stale petri dish air itched my lungs like fleece and the TV recycled sports highlights.

I can't really imagine what "petri dish air" would be like, it seems rather odd, but I enjoyed the bit about the TV
I got to drinking and boy did it help.

I'm enjoying the style you're using here, it's so much different from the last work I reviewed, but this sentence feels forced and cheesy.
Bloody Mary, first, Tequila next, then the stout, which goes down by the mouthful.

I don't think tequila has any business being capitalized.

Derek reluctantly poured me another Stout and it went down like medicine.

I don't know if 'Stout' should be capitalized, but you didn't do it earlier, so don't do it now. You're inconsistent with capitalizing the drink names.
They were talking about my wife, but she has nothing to do with what happened and neither does her new man, Jock (or Dom, or Kramer, who cares?) so I won’t mention that whore again.

This bit sounds forced too.
He was burly, in a black letterman, a Jock if ever I saw one.

Don't capitalize jock
“This is my seat,” I said, “there's an unwanted space here, and the "And" shouldn't be capitalized And that one there is my girl’s.”

Derek hustled along the bar as quick as he could(comma) leaving a pint foaming under the tap.

“Now Paul, take it easy pal.(change the period to a comma)” Derek began,

The longer she stayed with me(comma) the stronger it grew.

and those Jocks had enough tequila and Bud in them to stir a bad idea.

De-capitalize that J
I could see them, but I didn’t flinch, Lerra had me dazed, until I felt a big hand clap on my shoulder and grip like a manacle.

I would suggest breaking this into two sentences, right after 'dazed' perhaps?
He pulled me,("and" instead) swung me around on the stool.

“You want to go outside, old man.”

It seems like this should be a question, but without a question mark, it's as if the guy is trying to play Jedi mind tricks.
I lifted my boot,(no comma) and pumped my leg.

Also, you begin a lot of sentences before this one with "I". It may be time to shake things up a little.
When it was over(comma, I believe) Lerra stroked my face with the back of her fingers.

“Is this love?

You have an unwanted space here Do it.”

It’s a funny thing. I was a few ounces of blood away from death, but they saved me, just to kill me later.

Just downright wicked

I'm not really sure how to summarize this review. I did enjoy this story, I felt the narrator's voice made it easier to get into and it was nice to see a different writing style. Though, regarding the writing style, at parts it felt forced, like you were trying too hard to give the narrator a unique voice. That was really my only issue with the story, the parts that seemed disjointed. Nice work as usual, I do hope this review helped even though you have so many others. Totsiens
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:52 am
Kafkaescence says...

Mmm...again, interesting. I wouldn't say it has quite the same...moral cohesiveness, let's call it, as Life After. Its foundations are shaky.

You seem, more than anything here, to be reverting back to the concepts and style illustrated in Fog; Fog was a good story, it had its ups and downs, it's done, let's move on. You have that same attempt at a feeling of isolation (though a bit less here, naturally), and your attempt proves mostly unsuccessful for the same reasons (which shall be further illuminated). Indeed, even much of the plot runs along the same old riverbed.

The reason I'm not getting enough out of this as I feel I should be is that, by incorporating objects that lie outside the narrator's own alcohol-induced microcosm, you blow a hole in any atmosphere you might otherwise have established. You vacillate constantly between reality and nonreality, creating an imbalance that, needless to say, does not very well suit your story.

An example. I really am not feeling enough of what the narrator is feeling toward Lerra. This, I think, is because you spend so much time distracting yourself with trivial matters such as the jock group, the stool, all that. These are things that should be but referenced, at most.

And all that family stuff? Toss it. It's irrelevant. Dad cried? Whatever does that have to do with the story? Wife left? Maybe, and you don't go too far into the subject; even then, it seems like you could just hint at it somewhere, considering how unimportant a detail it is.

Yes, I do go mad over extraneity; however, I feel that it is important to stick with the main product and leave out the accessories. In novels, you can afford some, now and then. In short stories, not so much.

Nonetheless, an intriguing read - as would be expected of you. Hope I helped.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

280 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:56 am
joshuapaul says...

Hell, Kitty, Sarg, Confetti, SmylinG, Kafka -- All my favourite reviewers got to this, thank you all.

And god, you all brought something, light from a different angles and so on.

I thank you all, sincerely.
Read my latest

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:37 pm
Twit says...

Hello! Sorry I’m rather late to this.

Okay, so I’m not going to go through and pick our things on a sentence level, but rather talk about the whole thing.

So, overall, I was impressed. This was nice and creepy, and it works well as a horror/dark short story. There were some things I think could be clearer, though.

Did the guy kill his wife and her boyfriend? I get the impression that he did, but that kind of changes the whole effect of the story. If he’s killed already before Lerra arrives, it makes her control over him less of a control and complete change of character, good guy flipping and going evil, and more of a bringing out the evil already there kind of thing. Does that make sense? I’m not entirely sure which one works better, because I’m sure what point about humanity you’re making here, so I guess you can figure out which one’s best. ^_^

I also feel like Lerra could be more fleshed out. I really like her mystery, and the sense that maybe she’s there and maybe she isn’t, and the whole mother/wife/cheating neighbour parallel—that’s really cool. But she’s a hugely pivotal point of the story, and all you talk about are her eyes, and in quite a vague way. You don’t mention the rest of her (or if you did, it was so brief that I don’t remember) or what she’s wearing or her hair or more about her voice or whatever. Also, until I read your spoiler in one of your posts, I didn’t know how the picture at the top tied in with it all. So, I don’t know, does Lerra look like Morticia Addams?

Anyway, I did really like this! If you smoothed out some of the wording and fleshed out Lerra a bit, it’ll be even better. :D

-twit
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:36 am
Kafkaescence says...

H'oh crap, well, at least you keep me busy.

Let's see. I reread it (I didn't notice anything different, so either your edit was exceedingly minute or you haven't put it into effect yet), and I think I can provide a slightly sharper critique regarding the background info and such.

The truth is, yes, I do believe that this piece's dark theme will be all it needs as a foundation. Isn't he already insane? Hasn't he already been propelled far beyond the reach of our social threshold, beyond recantation? He looks behind him and sees hallucinations; his world has become garbled with layers of alcohol. Yes, I would call that insane, psychotic.

Why? Why does the reader not care about all that stuff? Because the story needs focus. Such an integral aspect of a short story, yet one which many regard as intrinsic. Take a stereotypical example of mine: say, Penal Colony. From the very beginning, the guy is talking about the contraption. In the middle, he is showing the explorer the contraption. At the end, the explorer is reflecting upon the contraption. Everything revolves around it. This is essential in a short story.

Your story is somewhat lacking in focus, and that is its most obvious downfall. The beginning is especially tenuous: first he's going off about some dialogue that's stuck in his head, then goes but ankle-deep into whatever it was he did last night at the bar (or whatever), then spends a little while describing his alcohol. You don't need all the court references; let Lerra burn the path to the climax, not these minor trivialities. Actually, I'd prefer if the story was more fragmented - no "and later this happened"s. That'll further that sense of growing insanity.

Following is my rewriting of the basic script. I cut away most of the fluff and enriched the meat, though the main idea is the same.

1. Begin with the narrator drunk. No "I walked into the bar" or "I ordered a drink." Cut right to the chase.
2. Briefly and emotionlessly reflect on the earlier events. Remember, he is drunk - his mind is dulled, obtuse.
3. Enter Lerra. I pretty much like how you did this, so not much to change there.
4. Gah, I really can't stand the whole jock fight thing - it's too distracting, too irrelevant - but I also understand that there isn't any quick-fix solution there. Well, it's your story, not mine, but I'd try to think of some replacement for that.
5. Climax'll be the same, but ideally through a different set of mechanisms.

All the while, try to maintain as much an atmospheric style as possible.

While my adjustments will shift your story dramatically, from your original Stephen King base to more of an Edgar Allen Poe-type thing, I do think that they will be for the better. And I hope that this second review is more tangible than the first? If not, let me know.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.
— Robert Frost