Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:31 am
Twit says...

The apple never falls far from the tree,
and I believe
(i must believe)
That my fruit is infinitely better,
and sweeter,
than the old.

If you say the fruit must be picked, why shilly-shally on the way?

Tristan and Iseult.
The bittersweet tradition of love found and lost
and found again in the tangled embrace of hazel and honeysuckle.

How run my chances at the growth of either?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:46 pm
MasterGrieves says...

This is good. I liked your structure as it was interesting. I also liked the shilly-shally thing which was original. However, I found the opening line very cliched. It is good, but it doesn't really fit into the unique and individualality of the poem. It may be necessary to you, but to me it doesn't seem to fit in. It also makes it feel like a song, which is quite strange, because the rest of it reads like a poem. Overall though, nice job.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

532 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 532
Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:07 pm
GeeLyria says...

Hi Twit. :) Solly here to review.

Twit wrote:The apple never falls far from the tree,
and I believe
(i must believe)
That my fruit is infinitely better,
and sweeter,
than the old.

I like your opening stanza. Though I'd change some things like for example the 'I' in the parentheses, it should be uppercase. And I don't think the punctuation is quiet correct. It's kind of confusing. Like for example, I think the parentheses could be commas, but of course that's your choice, and the comma after 'sweeter' shouldn't be there.

Twit wrote:If you say the fruit must be picked, why shilly-shally on the way?

I really like this. ^_^

Twit wrote:Tristan and Iseult.

I think there should be a comma after 'lost'. Beautiful<3

Overall: Your poem is good. Very pretty. Though, I'd work a little bit more on the first stanza. I would try to make it more catchy, in order for the reader to feel attracted to the poem from the start, I believe it can be as beautiful as the last stanzas. :)

Keep Writing!

~Sol Valeria<3
Noob is a state of being, not a length of time. ~Ego

"Serás del tamaño de tus pensamientos; no te permitas fracasar."

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:03 pm
DukeofWonderland says...

Twit wrote:The apple never falls far from the tree, I like this proverb and the context you placed it in.

How run my chances at the growth of either?I had to read this statement twice, the structure's different.

Very short, and a blank verse and well, I still like it :)
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:55 pm
Audy says...

Twit,

Heh. Overall I love the voice in this and the strange structures of your sentences, use of 'shilly-shally' etc. it helps with that oldish tone of voice, and the fact you began with a proverb emphasized it as well.

It's not the structure so much as the use of the verb "run" that made it seem jarring for me. How "goes" would sound clearer, (with the additional bonus of echoing off of "growth") or an alternative word of that variation.

Overall, I thought it pretty simple and interesting. Original in its voice and playing with the language, and I suppose the structure of the thing itself. Though I'll admit, I was a bit confused at first as to where it was trying to go. At first, my interpretation was like: Okay, the speaker is backlashing at his/her roots, something we can all relate to for sure. The Tristan and Iseult reference came real sudden, and the message of the piece took a sudden nosedive towards the opposite direction, almost as though you're putting two poems into one, with not a lot of transition between them. Maybe it's because it's been a while (and when I say a while, I mean like a loooong while) since I've seen Tristan & Iseult and so maybe you're referring to the correlation of these characters to their parents? But when I think of Tristan & Iseult I think of their love affair and the violence and all that. Well, I may or may not just be missing the whole concept though.

I'm going to say though that the title was a nice touch. I enjoyed it, and I enjoyed the first part of the poem :) The second part is only a bit muddled for me as to how it works as a whole, though the sounds and imagery are nice. Let me know if you have any questions and sorry I couldn't get this to you sooner!

~ as always, Audy

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 pm
SwallowedByInsanity says...

Hey there twit! Insanity here to review this lovely poem (;
The idea is very cute and sparked my interest. Writing a poem about a commonly used phrase, definitely something that's never crossed my mind, good inspiration! haha, so I just had a couple things I wanted to mention.
Twit wrote:If you say the fruit must be picked, why shilly-shally on the way?

Tristan and Iseult.

You start off the poem with shorter lines, and it seems kind of awkward right here how you switched over to these long lines. I suggest maybe you split them into two lines instead of keeping it all as one?
That's pretty much it. I loved everything else, but I just wish maybe you'd made the poem a little longer to expand on the idea. Keep writing! (:
Love is a poison, but it is also the antidote.

The insanity at my fingertips is not even slightly coherent.

Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.
— Michael McClary