I never knew one could feel this way.
Time is the essence
Of the clock on the wall,
It brings all to an end
No matter how tall.
So if you feel hopeless
And that you don't matter at all,
Take a leap, up and over the wall.
Last edited by LosPresidentes on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I quit

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:20 am
SlyNightOwl says...

Oh, this is really good and I can compare it perfectly to my day. I'll definitely remember this the next time I feel down~<3 :D I feel happy after reading this, so, thank you for posting!
Rah, rah, ree, kick em' in the knee. Rah, rah, rass, em' in the... OTHER KNEE!

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:35 am
LosPresidentes says...

^^ glad I could be part of your feel good :D
I quit

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:16 am
ScarlettFire says...

Hello there, LosCadaver. I'm Scarlett and I'll be reviewing your poem today.

First and only thing I have to say is Punctuation. It's a little off putting seeing only commas and no fulls stop until the end. The poem isn't one long sentence, is it? With the commas, it feels rushed. I had to go through and reread it carefully, mentally altering the commas for full stops and the like. A good example of the comma issue, is the third line. A full stop would have been fine. I think you can see where that's going. I'm not going to point out all the places where you could have used a full stop instead of a comma. Seems picky, I know. But writing is about the little details, even poetry (and yes, punctuation, too).

Overall, I think this is a wonderful little poem. It's nice and sweet, and energetic. Brilliant. I like it, a lot. *clicks like* I hope this helped, even a little. And thank you very much for the wonderfully energetic and beautiful poetry. Keep writing, and don’t ever give up!

~Scar.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:48 am
dasiamari says...

Wow! you rhymed!! I love it! I haven't seen any poems rhyme on here lately.

Day after day,
Year after year
I spend all my time,
Sitting right here.
Waiting for the moment,
That it all goes awayWhat goes away?
Time is the essence
It brings all to an end
No matter how tall.
So if you feel hopeless
I really like this last line.

So I've never met you before so Hola! I really enjoyed your poem!

~mari
Know that she's back in the atmosphere I'm afraid that she'll think of me as a plain old Jain told a story 'bout a man who was to afraid to fly so he never did land. ~Train

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:40 am
Bryn says...

Hiii :) I was reading your poem -obviously haha- and I like it is was sort of its own little gem.. the last few lines are what got me.. very cute. However I think adding or taking out some words would help with the flow. So my suggestions are:

That it all goes away
Time is the essence
It brings all to an end
No matter how tall.
So if you feel hopeless

Okay. These lines ^ are something I liked, but I feel they could be a little something more, I think working with the rhythm and flow would help that.

That is all goes away
I like the thought of this line, however, I had to read that line several times to finally understand what was being said.. So some rewording might come in handy there.

Same with:
Time is the essance, Of the clock on the wall
These two lines I had to read over several times.. the 'of' is a little off putting, I don't think it really goes with the flow and rhythm of things.

The 'and' in the can be taken out, it interrupts your rhythm.

Finally,
It brings all to an end
No matter how tall.
So if you feel hopeless
Take a leap, up and over the wall

Gahh these last rhyme schemes are getting to me. It's just you were doing so well with the rhyming and then you change up your form and rhyme with this Wall,tall, all, and wall although it flows well, it just gives the feel of an amatuer poem.. However this may just be me..and my pesky little details.. I'm not saying it doesn't work it's just something I would think about with your next poem.. keep your form throughout.

I also don't really like when you rhyme with the same word twice.. unless it's like a double meaning or something.. but again.. probably just me.

I do like this poem. It was so sweet and something anyone could remember or use on a bad day, so keep it up! I'd love to see more!
-Keep writing!
Courage is grace under pressure.-Ernest Hemingway
Have the courage to say no.
Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right.-Clement
Integrity is what we do, what we say, and what we say we do.

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:58 pm
Searria H. says...

Hi! I hope you're enjoying the site so far. :D Sorry it took me so long to review this. *feels lame*

For such a short poem, you conveyed a complete, uplifting message. *applauds* I love the meaning and the simplicity in the writing. There was something about it that really connected the language to what you were trying to say. :D

Nitpicks:
Time is the essence

These two lines stuck out for me for some reason. I had trouble connecting the meaning of the clock. It was almost as if you needed a rhyme for "tall." I wanted to explore time more or something. I can't really put my finger on it.

So if you feel hopeless

Just a personal preference. :D

Grammar:
Some poets choose not to use punctuation at all, but if you do, you must use it correctly. Grammar is in green. Explanations/comments are in raspberry.
Day after day,
Year after year,You did this right in the first line. Because "year after year" is an introductory phrase, there should be a comma.
I spend all my time,no commaIf you just said "I spend all my time sitting right here," you wouldn't use a comma, so you don't here either.
Sitting right here.
Waiting for the moment,move this comma to the next line"Waiting for the moment when it all goes away," is one participial phrase. Don't break it with a comma. :D
That it all goes away
Time is the essence
Of the clock on the wall,this comma should either be a comma or a semicolon.You start a new sentence in the next line.
It brings all to an end
No matter how tall.
So if you feel hopeless,I just added a comma
And that Would you consider repeating "feel" here? you don't matter at all,

Rhyming:
Your rhyming scheme was a little inconsistent. I see it as follows:
2 rhymes with 4
6 and 7
9 and 11
13 and 14

While you do have a pattern, it's sort of erratic. But generally, I'm not drawn to rhymes. I think you limit yourself by feeling like you have to rhyme. If it does rhyme, it should read very naturally, and the reader almost shouldn't realize that it's rhyming. You have to use words because they fit the poem, not the rhyming scheme.

Overall:
I did honestly enjoy it. We read so much dark, depressed poetry nowadays, it was really nice to read something uplifting. Thank you for sharing this. :D Everything I pointed out was pretty minor, and it should be fairly easy to fix. I'm not saying you should totally burn the rhyme scheme, but just try writing it once with no rhymes, and look at where you go with it when your not confined to rhymes. Then go back and decide if you're rhymes really add what you want them to to the piece.

Well, I hope I helped. :) If you have any questions or comments about anything I've said, please feel absolutely free to shoot me a PM. I'm very happy to discuss the review (or anything else) with you. :D I hope to see more from you soon. Happy writing!
-Sea-
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

Reviews? You know you want one. :)

*Ribbit*

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:50 pm
LosPresidentes says...

Day after day
Year after year,
I spend all my time
Sitting right here.
Waiting for the moment
When it all goes away,
Time is the essence
Of the clock on the wall;
It brings all to an end
No matter how tall.
So if you feel hopeless
That you don't matter at all,

With some suggestions.
I quit

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:12 am
Audy says...

LosCadaver,

You've received some wonderful reviews. I'm looking at the revised version here. I've read some of your poetry, but have yet to do a proper review so here I am. As it stands now, it's a pretty cute, general poem with an uplifting message. I mean, sure I like it. Several here like it. That's about it. It's not very memorable, doesn't really stick to mind.

With what you write next, try to experiment with line - poems don't have to rhyme. Rhyming limits you in so many ways. I am not saying to scrap rhyme, but ask yourself why you're rhyming. Because you like the way it sounds? Can you write poetry that sounds nice and doesn't rhyme? ;)

Or experiment with rhyme! It doesn't have to be an end-rhyme. You can do internal rhymes. Or even slant-rhymes. But always experiment. Always try new things.

Experiment with similes, metaphors, alliteration. Expand your horizons a bit. This would do well with some poetic devices & sensory language ^^ Put your readers into your poems.

I am not saying this is bad, just that it can always be improved.

Some nitpicks:

Day after daycomma here
Year after year,

Okay, I'm going to try to explain these commas, because I realize they're tricky. Especially in poetry when grammar is a little more lax. See, if you were writing prose, then it would go like so: "Day after day, year after year, I spend all my time sitting right here."

But since this is poetry, you have the option of writing it like so:

"Day after day
year after year
I spend all my time
sitting right here."

But since you did put that comma after "year" then that means you're acknowledging standard grammar/punctuation like you would punctuate prose (and this is actually the preferred method). So you need to add that comma after that first line as well.

Waiting for the moment
When it all goes away,

Grammar here is correct! But what are your sentiments here? What goes away? What does the speaker not know? What does the speaker feel? It is unclear. Poetry is all about precision. You have a limited amount of words to say so much and so many people end up too focused on the lyrics and not enough on the meaning. If we did that, well then what would the point be?

Time is the essence
Of the clock on the wall;
It brings all to an end
No matter how tall.

The first line two lines are an obvious statement. The next two are weak. No matter how tall? Really? :/

So if you feel hopeless
That you don't matter at all,
Take a leap no comma here up and over the wall.

This might help you.

I've been hard on you, but you show a lot of promise. I've seen how you've been writing a lot of poetry lately and I admire your energy and conviction ^^ Keep writing, because believe it or not - whether you see it or not - you are improving! :)

If you have any questions, or anything else you want me to look at, feel free to pm me.

~ As always Audy

It always seems impossible until it's done.
— Nelson Mandela