z

Young Writers Society

Flesh vs Steel (Started)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:09 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Inside Sanctum 78 a revoloution has begun. The androids have overpowered the human taskforce inside and, although all exits are sealed, are planning their escape, then their uprising. Most humans have been 'removed' but a few survivors remain. Now, seven people have formed a group, who must plan, and ultimately execute their escape. They don't have much to start with, but they'll progress, it's all about survival now. 'The Data' as the droids call themselves, are going to be ruthless, and so must the humans. It's an all out race of wits, brain vs hard-drive, flesh vs steel. Today, the droids will be shown their place in society. Today, humans reclaim power.

The same usual rules apply in this storybook:
No graphic sexual content (references to sex are acceptable)
No trolling
Don't post if you won't follow this.

Now that that's settled, we need to get down to the characters...
So, we need eight characters, these can range from race, gender, and background.
You should probably post your character in this layout:

Name:
Appearance: (Includes attire)
Personality:
History:
Skills:
Weaknesses:
Other: (Phobias, problems, etc.)

If this tickles your fancy, please contribute! Later peeps! :D
Last edited by DarknecrosisX on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

67 Reviews

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:11 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Name: Mercury Tyrran
Appearance: Spiked blonde hair, deep green eyes, thin stubble. Very masculine in appearance, caucasian, solidly built. Wears a Sanctum Security uniform. An armored black jumpsuit lined with two vertical crimson stripes. Often has an arrogant one-sided smirk when confronting people.
Personality: Very arrogant, brave, likes to take charge but can be very demanding. Slightly sadistic, but not insane. Despises the androids and sees them as inferior slaves. Quick witted and sly, but not very intelligent.
History: Raised inside the sanctum by his single mother. His dad died as a soldier. Mercury grew up as one of the most athletic students in the academy but didn't get very far with anything else. At 21 he becomes a Sanctum Security Officer, a very corrupt one at that.
Skills: Strong, fast, quick witted, good with weapons, very commanding leader, tactical.
Weaknesses: Not very intelligent, a bit of a jerk, headstrong, volatile.
Other: Scared of the unknown, hates being (metaphorically) kept in the dark.

Up for love.
Last edited by DarknecrosisX on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:26 am
View Likes
Leahweird says...

Name: Zephyr Else
Appearance: (Includes attire) Her hair is naturally black but she tried to bleach it and now it's a dirty grey colour. Blue grey eyes, caucasion. She wears jeans, a faded black t-shirt, and a leather jacket. Has a row of silver rings in both ears. and a cheap crystal stud in one lobe. Caucasian, and kinda short.
Personality: Tries to be rebellious and tough, but she cares too much about other people. Not afraid to speak her mind.
History: Ran away from home as a teenager, but when she tried to go back she learned the machines had killed her family.
Skills: Exells at sneaking around, works well with knives, really good aim. Surprisingly loyal to however she's with.
Weaknesses: Not as strong emotionally as she pretends to be. She wants to save everyone, even when it's impossible. And her size works against her in hand to hand combat.
Other: (Phobias, problems, etc.) Has a problem with authority figures.
*edit: for got to mention I'm up for love*
Last edited by Leahweird on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:30 pm
Crow29 says...

Name: Cancer
Appearance: Cancer’s human parts look ten years younger than he actually is. His bio-implants continue to support his body, slowing the rate at which he ages. However, they cannot stop the immense scarring caused by his operation. His body is covered in scars and stitches. He has pale skin, offset by silver biometrics protruding through the skin. Most notable of these biometrics is the breathing tube opening through his throat. He wears an armoured black bodysuit to protect the complex biomechanics inside and outside of his body. A heavy leather glove hides his terribly scarred right hand, which has been partially reconstructed with black metal.
Personality: Cancer is used to hiding from view. Almost half his life has been spent avoiding conflict, and he is wary of anyone he doesn’t know. He frequently battles with his inner demons, but cannot bring himself to end his suffering. He considers himself cowardly for this, but is in fact stronger than he believes.
History: Cancer has no memory of his life before his operation. He awoke in a back alley with no documents and no clue as to what has happened. Twenty years on, he has had little luck integrating with society, living on the fringes with barely enough money to live on, doing jobs no-one else will do.
Skills: Cancer’s implants have granted him greater speed, strength, stamina and sensitivity than a normal human. He is a natural at understanding electronics, almost feeling as if he is connecting with them when he works. However, he lacks the social skills of normal humans.
Weaknesses: Cancer is fearful and easily startled- his hard life has left him uneasy around others. He is sensitive to light and loud noises due to his heightened senses, leading to many sleepless nights.
Other: Cancer is uneasy in cold weather, but can tolerate far greater heat than is usual for a human.
At the end of the day, when the sun is gone and the light is lost, the shadows will play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV9IJVoFR_Q

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:56 pm
eldEr says...

Looks interesting. I'll join, if you don't mind. :) (I can't finish my profile until I ask the wonderful creator a question, but)

Name: Logan Samuel Deryks

Appearance: Logan has dark skin, accented by deep brown eyes and a hairless scalp. He always tries to keep up a smile, even now when worst's come to worst. He's tall, around 6'4", and has a muscled build from his love for all things physically active. (he was seen in the ship gym a lot, lifting weights or running on the treadmill), and despite an intimidating size, his eyes always have a gentle glow to them. Typically wears the simplest clothes he can get his hands on, plain t-shirts and jeans or sweats.
Spoiler! :

Personality: Logan is the sort of man who tries to get along with and tolerate everybody. He's tolerant and patient, and has a knack for finding out the truth of things-- particularly people things. He's one of those people who just scream trustworthy, and never hesitates to offer advice or listen to somebody else. He's a bit of a tease, and likes to crack jokes-- often bad ones-- and laugh at himself. He can take jabs well, with a shrug of his shoulders and an, "You know, I've been through too much crap to care about what you think of me," as a response. He definitely has a fiercely protective side, and he would do anything to keep those he loves safe (particularly his daughter, as he's already lost his wife), and wouldn't hesitate to die for them, although right now, his min is set on surviving until he can ensure his daughter's safety. He's a friendly guy, really-- but when nobody's around to see, he's hurting and upset. His wife's death is too fresh, and his fear that his daughter may not make it through this has reduced him to tears on more than one occasion, but never, ever in front of the others. Not yet.

History: Logan was born on earth, raised by a not-so-spectacular family and reared to be a generous, sweet man. He arrived here a few years back, taking up a job offer after his parents were killed by heaven-knows-what. He had no brothers or sisters, and nobody back on Earth to take care of. He spent his first year cleaning-- basic janitorial duties around the station. He was nobody great, and he never expected that he would be.

Ariana came along a few months into his stay, and about five months later, they were married. Ariana gave birth to their daughter, Leah (affectionately dubbed Lee-Lee by her daddy). Ariana was an engineer for the station, and was killed in a work-related accident six months ago.

Skills: Logan is physically strong, and was part of a wrestling team back in high-school. His father was also into martial arts, though Logan's skills in that aren't top-notch. (not bad, but not top-notch). He knows hoe to shoot a gun very well (thanks to his lovely wife), which could be an asset. He's also good with people, and can remain calm in tense situations.

Weaknesses: Logan has a low pain thresh-hold, and as soon as the adrenaline wears off, pain will affect him more than most of the others. He also has a very weak immune system for a space-traveller, and falls subject to fevers and very bad infections more easily than he should. He's very emotionally unstable at the moment, contrary to what everybody believes, and his depression and anxiety levels are starting to get much higher. He's beginning to wonder how long he'll be able to go on before he snaps.

Other: His daughter, Leah, is three years old and isn't coping well with th current situation. Logan is completely devoted to getting her out of this alive. She's threw years old, and please ignore the background and the label on the photo:
Spoiler! :

He also has a fear of dogs-- not that that will be a problem here. Oh, and he is very, very claustrophobic.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:49 pm
RedBird says...

Name: Micah Tallow

Appearance: Micah is tall and skinny, with a ton of freckles and shoulder-length red hair that he keeps tied back. He's really pale and has green eyes. He's strong, even though he doesn't look it. He usually wears a black t-shirt, black jeans, and combat boots.

Personality: He's generally a happy-go-lucky guy, who readily makes friends and tries to get along with everyone. He is also prone to being very sarcastic, however, and can be very argumentative. He is very protective of friends, and will set his own life on the line to protect them, to a certain extent.

History: Micah lost his parents at a young age (around ten), and lived on the streets for a while, before becoming aware that he was very skilled with machines. Out of scavenged metal, chips, and wiring, he built his first fully-functioning robot at 14, and has kept it ever since. He was hired by the Sanctum at 16, and has been working on android repair ever since. Even though he has a pretty outgoing personality, he's been tucked into out-of-the-way places, and so has had little contact with other people, besides other droid techies.

Skills: An expert when it comes to robotics (at least, in terms of keeping them running and programming them, which won't work if they've turned sentient), and can handle himself in a fight (from his street years). He can handle a gun, as well as blades.

Weaknesses: He can be very impulsive, which gets him into a lot of trouble. He tends to be kind of loud, which could be very hazardous in this situation.

Other: Up for love, has a robot (acts kind of like a dog) that he made when he was 14, named Hatter, which follows him everywhere.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

67 Reviews

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:42 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Sorry about the problem with Tyrant of Wars character, so yeah. :?

Happy writings! DNX :J
Last edited by DarknecrosisX on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:47 pm
TyrantOfWar says...

Name: Koron Gaelic
Appearance: Pitch black hair. Emerald green eyes, lightly tanned skin. Wears a snowy camouflage combat jacket and trousers along with pitch black combat boots. Bulky, strong and tall(6'1).
Personality: The strong, silent type however he has a unnatural hatred for androids. Will follow orders to the letter but will never leave anyone behind except in the face of impossible odds. He is known to get "blood drunk" when fighting as his hatred is so deep that once he starts fighting, it is hard to make him stop.
History: Born on Earth, he had a happy life and when he was 18 enlisted in the military engineers and excelled at physical and technical training. Got married when he was 23 but family missing following attacks by the robots. Koron does believe they are dead.
Skills: Has basic weapons training and advanced tech training. Can slice and hack into robots and terminals thus making robots fight for him.
Weaknesses: Will allow emotion to cloud his judgement. Prefers to use his intelligence not weapons. Doesn’t like it when logic cannot explain it.
Other: Curiously doesn’t have a problem with Cancer even though Cancer is part robot. Koron also has a cybernetic eye from an accident.

Yeah really sorry. :(
I want to see you choke on your lies,
Swallow up your greed,
Suffer all alone in your misery.

My Life Story:
Lies Greed Misery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dq9q6afIP8

67 Reviews

Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:04 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Come on peeps! One more person, invite your friends!
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

67 Reviews

Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:42 pm
View Likes
DarknecrosisX says...

Ok, I've decided that this should be enough people for Flesh vs Steel. So, I'm glad to proudly announce that Flesh vs Steel has begun! Thanks a lot to everyone who is taking part in this storybook. Now, at the start I was a tad stingy on information (there was no point making a massive story if it wasn't going to get anywhere) so I present to you the full introduction:
The year is 2359, and the human race has overpopulated the face of the earth. In the year 2200, excavations began to create the Citadel, a massive underground civillisation powered geothermically, but this still wasn't enough. In the year 2300 five cities linking to the Citadel were completed, each one serving it's own particular purpose. Sanctum 78 was created to harvest minerals and trapped water pockets, using two mining facilities: Shaft 48 and Shaft 21. Of course there were more jobs than just mining in the Sanctum; doctors, soldiers and any jobs that would be needed to stabilize the economy were available too.

Androids were created by humanity to serve jobs that were too dangerous for humans. These droids were created to have no emotion, so they were purely focused on their jobs, making them extremely effecient. But, due to them being walking, humanoid supercomputers, they are susceptable to hacking, and other problems that normal computers encounter. Inside Sanctum 78 there has been thousands of reports regarding android malfunctions, which later became fatalities. There is suspicion of hacking, but nobody has been caught doing such activities. Communications with the surface and the Citadel have gone dark, so people don't know if the droids are only turning hostile all over the world. Inside the sanctum there are 4 primary kinds of droids:

Mining Drones, AKA (Diggers): Diggers are a striking silver colour, and are rather large, standing at eight feet tall. Their faces are wedge shaped with gleaming, triangular orange sensors, in the position of eyes. Their right hand is a drill, and their left is three fingered claw. Diggers are quite common, but are heavily armored and slow.

Combat Units, AKA (Borgs): Borgs are human sized, around six feet two inches, are are a matt black colour with a badge on their abdomen with the Sanctum 78 Logo (An emerald tree snake). They have a human shaped head with three red, circular indicators on the left side of their face. Their hands are human in structure, and they use regular weapons just as a human soldier can, but with deadly accuracy. Combat units are uncommon but are very hard to disable.

Medical Droids, AKA (Medbots): Medbots are around five and a half feet and are a very neat white colour. They have a single purple, horizontal indicator on their spherical head and are equipped with a variety of different medical apparatus. They are very intelligent as they have a massive memory space. They have ballistic hands with a metal frame inside, and with their knowledge of the human body, Medbots are very dangerous when in possession of weapons. They are also rather rare considering not many were made.

Standard Issue Civillian Aid Droids, AKA (SICADs): SICADs are the most common of all androids. They are made purely of ballistics except for their metal frames and vital parts that are lighlty armoured. They are a light blue colour and are rather easily disabled.

Improvised Droids, AKA(Beasts): Beasts are basically made of junk and were built rather crudely by other droids. They have no average look and can be equipped with pratically any weapon. Beasts, for the most part, are not very avanced, so they cannot speak english. They are very common.

There are other kinds of less important, non-huanoid droids, but these are the main ones we will be encountering.

So that's the story, the survivors have made it to Bunker 13, on the west of Sanctum 78, and the escelator to The Citadel is on the east, typical :wink: , So the survivors must fight their way through the iron streets and make it to the escalator. Now, I have picked a name at random and I do believe that Crow 29 is starting so Crow, if you will...

P.s I'm sorry if the story slightly conflicts with your characters profile. Most of the stuff I read was pretty plausible though :) .

Happy Writings! DNX :J
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

29 Reviews

Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:56 pm
Crow29 says...

Whoaa, that's a lot...
And how you could have possibly chosen my name, I won't speculate. The story will be underway as soon as I can get it done, so stay tuned guys!
At the end of the day, when the sun is gone and the light is lost, the shadows will play.

29 Reviews

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:00 pm
Crow29 says...

Cancer

Cancer sat on an upturned barrel inside bunker 13. The bunker was supposed to be a safe haven, but it looked to be anything but. The room they were in was dark, damp, and smelled as if something was rotting. One flickering striplight illuminated the centre of the room; Cancr didn't want to speculate on the source of the sounds coming from the shadowy corners.
He returned his attention to the rag-tag band of people gathered under the light. Supposedly the group was in discussion,though so far, it had been anything but democratic. It looked as if Mercury's plan was the only plan under consideration. Still, there were some with the strength of character to oppose. Cancer could feel an argument brewing, and he knew better than to get involved unless he had to.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:15 pm
Leahweird says...

Zephyr

She wasn't even suposed to be here. She had no purpose on the base, nothing to be loyal too. In fact, she only snuck in to boost somew of the expensive equipment. But now the whole place was locked down, and the world didn't make sense anymore. She was trapped as much as the rest of them.

"This is so stupid," she spat.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:34 pm
RedBird says...

Micah,

I sit in the corner, brooding. The others are arguing, their voices rising in pitch and volume, and I know that, soon, our hiding place will be found, and we will be anything but safe. There's some vague idea about heading east, to the escalators, and that seems our best bet at the moment, so I stand up, brushing my hair out of my eyes. Hatter gets up too, clanking, and looks at me expectantly.

"All of this noise is going to attract the droids," I say quietly.

"How the hell do you know that?" The man called Mercury snarls, "This bunker is bomb proof. How could they possibly hear us?"

I give him a withering look, "I've spent most of my life working on these droids," I say, "Their senses far outstrip their human counterparts. They can see in the dark, and sometimes through solid objects. They can hear things through 5 feet of solid rock. They are designed this way. If you don't believe me, by all means, keep on yelling."

No one says anything. I continue, "Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but I think going to the west end and using the escalator is the best plan we've got, so that's where I'm heading."
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

Logan

Logan stared openly at Micah, one hand on his daughter's head. She had her face buried in his thigh, hiding it from the group of arguing adults. Honestly, Logan wished that he could do the same and get away with it. He wasn't even smiling now- his daughter wasn't looking, and besides, the others had sucked even the slightest hint of a good mood from him.

Leah's arms suddenly stuck up into the air, and Logan took her up in his arms almost instinctively. "I don't wanna go out there." She hadn't said it loud enough for the others to hear, but her voice was quiet. Scared. Three years old, an she had lost some of that innocent naivety that so many parents treasured. Logan swallowed and kissed her head.

"Well, if we could all take a breath and atop arguing for more than five minutes, a better plan might just come along." He said it for Leah's sake- he knew as well anyone that the escalators were their best bet. Micah looked about ready to argue, but Logan cut him off. "No, forget I said that." He chuckled bitterly. "I'm just the janitor."

Leah's little arms squeezed his neck to the point where it nearly choked him. Her entire body was shaking, and it took every ounce of Logan's self control to keep tears from building. "But I want to get my daughter out of here alive. Do we have access to anything I can use? Scrap metal, even... It'll look tacky, but I'm not going anywhere until she has some armor." The joke didn't work. It didn't even touch his voice, and now he probably sounded shallow.

One problem with scrap metal. It would be heavy... and probably not the greatest protection out there. But it was better than nothing, wasn't it? Heck, if they had to, he'd let them cut him open and use his bones. Not that it's be very effective, but the point still stood. If Leah didn't get out, he wasn't willing to leave, either.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus