London Bridge Prologue: 1/3

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:26 am
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Spoiler! :
A mentally unstable British boy is forced by his father to do the unthinkable in order to keep money in the house. From prostitution, underground battles to the death, and the Mafia Ten's condition only gets worse. Will he be able to continue this lifestyle with his list of mental diseases and phobias? Or will he just crack?

Rated 18+ because of use of the 'f' word.

London Bridge

Dear Diary,

First of all please understand that this was not my choice. I did not want you, but you were forced upon me by mother and her wish for me to keep a documentation of my life while living in this hell hole of a country. That is all. And if I didn't love mother as much as I do then I wouldn't even be writing this right now.

So, now that we have that straight, welcome to my life. I hope you can handle it. Years of teenage angst and pathetic attempts at rebellion. Have fun carrying the lot of it within your pages.

Right now I'm on the plane with this lame excuses for a father sleeping next to me, Gerald actually, because I don't call him 'Father' or 'Dad' anymore these days. Things change, you know? I used to call him Father but a lot can happen in five months, and I do mean a lot. Too much actually, and "Father" is just Gerald to me. I guess now I'm not "son" to him either, just Ten. Then again, that's only fair and it's fine with me. Yes... it is...

Anyway, we're on our way to Italy, quite a change from London if I do say so myself. I'm going to be the only British bloke there. Wish me luck, Mother, and hopefully I'll be seeing you soon.

Ten Sauna

August, 19, 2011

Five Months Earlier

The sound of a plate crashing against the floor and angered voices rising with frustration were painfully obvious. I couldn't hide it anymore, no, not like I could laugh suddenly and obnoxiously to cover the sudden burst of noise when one of them raised their voice too loud and drew her attention. My face flushed red and she turned towards the bedroom door, her eyebrow raising with the start of another question I'd have to answer with a lie.

"I'm pretty sure I heard something, Ten," she mumbled, biting her lower lip in a troubled manner. I laughed it off again, or at least tried to, but ended up having to cough to cover the crack in my voice.

"I'm also pretty sure it was nothing. Come on, we have homework to do," I pressed. She turned back to me but gave the door one lingering glance. Finally she sighed and turned to the algebra papers sprawled on my bed in between us. We were just getting back into the swing of things, and I was just getting into believing they stopped - a foolishly hopeful thought -, when another shout erupted from downstairs.

"I fucking hate you, Gerald! Why do you always do this to me?"

I could feel the heat creeping up my neck and onto my face, moving to the tips of my ears and nose. Janalise gasped and stared at the paper harder than she should have. She was uncomfortable, I could tell. Hell, I was uncomfortable and those were my parents arguing down there. More crashes, the delicate sound of glass tinkering against the tiled floor, an anamalistic growl, and then silence, the scariest sound of them all. I froze.

"Ten, I think I should go."

A sudden shout. Anger. Hostility. Hate. More broken noises, clutter and trash collecting on the floor. Red droplets of blood beading on mother's split lip because dad hit her again. Dad's face screwed up in anger, as if this was mother's fault when in reality it was his - it was always his. Her body quivered in terror and his shook in anger becasue she pissed him off. She'd close her eyes now and turn away from him, wanting the fight to be over.

I can see it, all of it, inside of my head. Playing back in high definition and stereo surround sound.

She'll try to finish dinner now, despite the cuts and bruises, but that will make dad mad. He'll think she was ignoring him and grab her by her thin arm, turning her around forcefully. She'll lower her gaze and he'll narrow his. His hand goes up and comes back down with a loud smack. A red hand print stands out on her pale face. It starts to fade away under her tears.

"Damn you!"

"I think you should go too, Janalise."

She hurridly collected her papers and smiled apologetically. I could tell she was truely sorry. I don't know why, it wasn't her fault mom and dad were fighting again. I hoped they would not choose today to initate another stand off, the one time out of millions that I actually had company over - even if it was only to finish algebra homework - but my luck was never good. She started towards the door slowly, in a way that I knew she didn't want to go out the front and possibly cross their path. She turned back towards me, her lip captured again between her teeth. I sighed.

"There's a back door, just go down the stairs and make a left. There's a door that leads out to the garage there."

"Thanks, Ten! See you at school?"

"Sure, yeah." Probably not.

She left without another word, which I suppose was only for the best.

Mom picks herself off the floor soon enough to hear the garage door close. She'll think I just got home and hurries to clean up the mess. She'll ask dad to get a broom and sweep the broken glass away but he won't. Dad goes in the room with something along the line of "clean it yourself, bitch" coming from his mouth. Mother chokes back a sob and sweeps the mess by herself, quickly, because she knows that I should be in the kitchen soon.

"Ten, honey?!"

"Yes," I call back.

"H-how was your day? Are you upstairs?"

"My day was fine, and yeah, I'm in my room."

She'll sigh from relief and slow her frantic movements. Her tounge will prob her split lip as she thinks of a way to cover it.

"Dinner will be done in a few minutes, okay?"

"You know, Mom, I'm really not hungry."

She'll stare in the boiling pot with sad eyes and sigh before turning off the burner and walking to the guest room to sleep, once again, alone.

I know everything that goes on with those two, though they don't realize it. They never see me peaking around the corner and they never notice my quiet whimpers when dad hits mom. They never see though my lies, never realize that when I say "I'm going over to a friend's" I actually mean "I'll be right upstairs, listening to you two bicker". They think I don't know but I do. I know all too well.

My parents are breaking up.

----

A/N: The diary entry bothers me terribly and I still feel something is not quite right about the ending. The prologue is not very exciting, but necessary. The excitement really doesn't start until the go to Italy and start to lose money. Which is a while away. I'm thinking of just finishing this and posting it in the Advanced Critiques section, which may take a while. Though it will take some time I think I might just not post this in Chapters but as a finished piece.

I just really need help with this part, the opening.

Thank you!
Last edited by Sassafras on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:03 am
IcyFlame says...

Hey Reise!
I noticed the title says this is part 1/3?
When writing a prologue just remember these things. (This can also be reviewed on the help forum)

1. Ask yourself your reason for including a prologue. If it's because lots of other stories do, or because you want another thousand or so words to qualify it as a novel, get rid of it. If your reason is because you want to explain backstory, ask yourself: does it have to explained at all, yet alone before anything else? In most cases, the answer is no.
2. Make your prologue short. Ideally, it shouldn't be over a page or two.
3. Make sure your readers can easily jump from the prologue to the first chapter without any confusion. Ideally, characters or things from the prologue should be immediately present in Chapter 1.

My comment here is that whilst your prologue is interesting, you have also prepared it to be quite long and some readers aren't willing to go through such a long prologue to get to chapter 1.

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:03 am
IcyFlame says...

Hey Reise!
I noticed the title says this is part 1/3?
When writing a prologue just remember these things. (This can also be reviewed on the help forum)

1. Ask yourself your reason for including a prologue. If it's because lots of other stories do, or because you want another thousand or so words to qualify it as a novel, get rid of it. If your reason is because you want to explain backstory, ask yourself: does it have to explained at all, yet alone before anything else? In most cases, the answer is no.
2. Make your prologue short. Ideally, it shouldn't be over a page or two.
3. Make sure your readers can easily jump from the prologue to the first chapter without any confusion. Ideally, characters or things from the prologue should be immediately present in Chapter 1.

My comment here is that whilst your prologue is interesting, you have also prepared it to be quite long and some readers aren't willing to go through such a long prologue to get to chapter 1.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:42 am
TwistedMuffins says...

Hey there!

Well, I'm not sure how you've learned to do "Diary Entries" but I've learnt it like this:

Date: Time:

Dear Diary,

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.

Signing off:
*Scribble Scribble*

Since you can't actually "scribble" your sign here, I guess the name alone should be fine. Anyway, I think that's how a Diary Entry's format should be.

She turned back to me but gave the door one lingering glance.

Shouldn't it be "her back"?

Finially

Finally* :)

starred

Stared*

becasue

Because*

because I had to eat, she had to eat, and even him, he had to eat too

You can leave it at 'even him'. Its obivious that he had to eat too.

Go? She's leaving? But, you didn't say who she was, what she looked like?

st8and off

I believe the '8' was a typo error.

I'm going over to a freind's

Friends*

Well, thats pretty much it. You had a lot of typos, which I've mentioned above, and you're diary entry too. Also, you need to describe your characters, what they look like. I just have the image of Ten's mom, not his dad, nor his friend. So, open up a little, yeah?

But, I really liked it. It was really intersting. I just wanted it to go on and on and I felt something for Ten's mom. Which is a good sign. So yay!

Let me know when part 2 is up, please? ^^

-JT!
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:25 am
romance otaku says...

Sorry for being so late with this. I've been really busy. School starts in two days and I'm trying to fit everything I can in.

Dear Diary,

First of all please understand that this was not my choice. I did not want you, but you were forced upon me by mother and her wish for me to keep a documentation of my life while living in this hell hole of a country. That is all. And if I didn't love mother as much as I do then I wouldn't even be writing this right now.

So, now that we have that straight, welcome to my life. I hope you can handle it. Years of teenage angst and pathetic attempts at rebellion. Have fun carrying the lot of it within your pages.

Right now I'm on the plane with this lame excuses for a father sleeping next to me, Gerald actually, because I don't call him 'Father' or 'Dad' anymore these days (That sentence didn't flow well with the commas). Things change, you know? I used to call him Father but a lot can happen in five months, and I do mean a lot. Too much actually, and "Father" is just Gerald to me (Again; this sentence doesn't make much sense here the way it's put together). I guess now I'm not "son" to him either, just Ten. Then again, that's only fair and it's fine with me. Yes... it is...

Anyway, we're on our way to Italy, quite a change from London if I do say so myself. I'm going to be the only British bloke there. Wish me luck, Mother, and hopefully I'll be seeing you soon.

Ten Sauna

August, 19, 2011

Five Months Earlier

The sound of a plate crashing against the floor and angered voices rising with frustration were painfully obvious (Three descriptors in this sentence; each could be used interchangeably. Pick one.). I couldn't hide it anymore, no, not like I could laugh suddenly and obnoxiously (Two -ly words used right next to each other; usually a writing foul) to cover the sudden burst (as opposed to a not sudden burst? It's assumed) of noise when one of them raised their voice too loud and drew her attention. My face flushed red and she turned towards the bedroom door, her eyebrow raising with the start of another question I'd have to answer with a lie.

"I'm pretty sure I heard something, Ten," she mumbled, biting her lower lip in a troubled manner. I laughed it off again, or at least tried to, but ended up having to cough to cover the crack in my voice.

"I'm also pretty sure it was nothing. Come on, we have homework to do," I pressed. She turned back to me but gave the door one lingering glance (as opposed to two lingering glances?). Finally she sighed and turned to the algebra papers sprawled on my bed in between us. We were just getting back into the swing of things, and I was just getting into believing they stopped - a foolishly hopeful thought -, (Random comma?) when another shout erupted from downstairs.

"I fucking hate you, Gerald! Why do you always do this to me?"

I could feel the heat creeping up my neck and onto my face, moving to the tips of my ears and nose. Janalise gasped and stared at the paper harder than she should have. She was uncomfortable, I could tell. Hell, I was uncomfortable and those were my parents arguing down there. More crashes, the delicate sound of glass tinkering against the tiled floor, an anamalistic growl, and then silence, the scariest sound of them all. I froze.

"Ten, I think I should go." (Who says this?)

A sudden shout. Anger. Hostility. Hate. More broken (breaking?) noises, clutter and trash collecting on the floor. Red droplets of blood beading on mother's split lip because dad hit her again (Fragment). Dad's face screwed up in anger, as if this was mother's fault when in reality it was his - it was always his. Her body quivered in terror and his shook in anger becasue she pissed him off (Very repetitive; it's not as if I'd assume someone shaking in anger is not pissed.). She'd (Remove the "'d") close(d) her eyes now and turn away from him, wanting the fight to be over.

I can see it, all of it, inside of my head. Playing back in high definition and stereo surround sound (Stereo is two speakers. Surround sound is 4 or 6. There is no such thing as stereo surround sound. Well, there is, but it's not what you want XD. At least I assume so.).

She'll try to finish dinner now, despite the cuts and bruises, but that will make dad mad. He'll think she was ignoring him and grab her by her thin arm, turning her around forcefully. She'll lower her gaze and he'll narrow his. His hand goes up and comes back down with a loud smack. A red hand print stands out on her pale face. It starts to fade away under her tears.

(The switch of tenses really doesn't sit well with me. I'd keep it all in past.)

"Damn you!" (Who is saying this?)

She hurridly collected her papers and smiled apologetically. I could tell she was truely sorry. I don't know why, (This is the perfect place for a semicolon. right here. I'm totally feeling it.) it wasn't her fault mom and dad were fighting again. I hoped they would not choose today to initate another stand off, the one time out of millions that I actually had company over - even if it was only to finish algebra homework - but my luck was never good. She started towards the door slowly, in a way that I knew she didn't want to go out the front and possibly cross their path. She turned back towards me, her lip captured again between her teeth. I sighed.

"There's a back door, just go down the stairs and make a left. There's a door that leads out to the garage there."

"Thanks, Ten! See you at school?" (She feels awfully happy in this situation)

"Sure, yeah." Probably not.

She left without another word, which I suppose was only for the best.

Mom picks herself off the floor soon enough to hear the garage door close. She'll think I just got home and hurries to clean up the mess. She'll ask dad to get a broom and sweep the broken glass away but he won't. Dad goes in the room with something along the line of "clean it yourself, bitch" coming from his mouth. Mother chokes back a sob and sweeps the mess by herself, quickly, because she knows that I should be in the kitchen soon.

(Again, just keep in in past. It's easier to read.)

"Ten, honey?!" (Who says this?)

"Yes," I call back.

"H-how was your day? Are you upstairs?"

"My day was fine, and yeah, I'm in my room."

She'll sigh from relief and slow her frantic movements. Her tounge will prob her split lip as she thinks of a way to cover it.

"Dinner will be done in a few minutes, okay?"

"You know, Mom, I'm really not hungry."

She'll stare in the boiling pot with sad eyes and sigh before turning off the burner and walking to the guest room to sleep, once again, alone. (Just a thought; what sane wife that is being abuses sleeps right after a fight?)

I know everything that goes on with those two, though they don't realize it. They never see me peaking around the corner and they never notice my quiet whimpers when dad hits mom. (They don't realize he sees them yelling and hittin in plain sight? If not in plain sight; make it so~) They never see though my lies, never realize that when I say "I'm going over to a friend's" I actually mean "I'll be right upstairs, listening to you two bicker" (Understatement?). They think I don't know(,) but I do. I know all too well.

My parents are breaking up. (I realize you put this in a new sentence for effect, but it just feels choppy; put it together with the sentence before it)

Plot: I didn't get to see much; you could go anywhere with this.

Characters: Your characters feel awfully 2d. They don't really react to what's going on around them in ways that make sense to me. See my notes above.

Writing: I think the biggest downfall with this piece was your writing. Not really "bad" writing, but "uneven" writing and pacing. For example, you overwhelmed me with description that wasn't even needed in the beginning, but leave out vital dialogue and action tags during the fight scene. I think character's reaction would make more sense if you described their situation more. For example, do the parents try to hide their fights from their son? If so, what actions do they take? Are they not really yelling, but whispering? Just something to think about.

Home my edits help~
~Joe
~Did I help you? If so, please take a second to sign my website's guestbook at http://joeduncko.com/guestbook/. When it gets 100 signs, I plan to release my newest short story! Thanks!

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:37 am
View Likes
PenguinAttack says...

Hey there,

I'm sorry I've taken so long to get to this! I'm only looking at this first chapter here so all my comments will be centred on your writing in this piece.

I think I like where you're going with this, although I'm not entirely sure yet. Your main character is arrogant, childish and very, very unlikable at the moment. This has a lot to do with the language you're giving him to use. By far it's all too formal, you're making him call his parents "mother" and "father" and throwing away a lot of contractions. He's a teenager and from the sound of it, a relatively normal one, despite his circumstances, so give him more natural dialogue. Consider how you talk to your friends, and the kinds of interactions you guys have. I don't know many people who'd be like "I think you should go too, name" It's really stilted and uncomfortable. More natural would probably be a defensive and defeated "Yeah." Because it has the noncommittal nature of the teen and it conveys the controlled nature the male teen would have. He's not going to show her how embarrassed he is, but he's not going to make it any easier for her either. Why? Because he's used to this and he should know better, so he's hatin' on himself a little and that'll mean he neglects to help his friend properly at all. A normal teen would show her to the door as well. This'll give you some good action to run with rather than "projected" action. He'll have to get up and lead her to the door. Maybe he stands there and watches her leave, marvelling at how the sound of a plate shattering in the kitchen will echo into the garage, bouncing over the car bonnet and straight at him (how he feels it hit him, at least).

Those are the kinds of details I'm interested in, a more solid look at where/who he is, even if it's just small action bits; that there is a car in the garage. That it hasn't been driven in months because his dad won't let his mum go out anywhere. She spends all her time weeping into her coffee in the kitchen, not touching anything or eating because it may make some mess that his dad'll only harp about. She tries everything to keep away all that badness - she'd consider it badness, and she'd probably think it's her fault if she's the typical battered wife - so she'll be particular with her son's hygiene too, so he'll have to be tidy. Maybe he thinks about how he cleans his room every night, how he washes his dad's car while he's sleeping, so that it's something else the old man can't whinge about.

Sorry about the ramble! My fingers get away from me. But that's the kind of casual language that I think this piece needs, and also the kind of incidence. Your prologue doesn't have to be boring, it can be an amazing insight into the world the boy's living in, without being boring at all. I'd completely ditch the diary entry though. That's terrible. Written really stiffly without any kind of feel of the boy in it, and with the wrong kind of intention. You're telling us way too much, let the story unfold rather than telling us it's going to go squiggly and weird. From the entry we know his mum leaves/dies, so that's a big blow already. I'd give us some pretty solid mum/son interaction so that we feel their connection before you bump her off, it'll make the blow harder and give us something to really sink our teeth into.

I hope this has been helpful in some manner! You really just need to loosen up in your writing, it's okay to talk like you do when you're writing, you're an interesting, valid person as much as an adult is, you know? Hit me up if you have any queries.

-Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
— Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"