z

Young Writers Society

Lifeless Friends

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:18 am
peanut19 says...

Spoiler! :
The whole thing is about 3k words...I'm sorry for the length but it's a full short story. At the writing conference I got a prompt from a story generator. It was: Foster mother collects dead squirrels. I hope y'all like it. I'm really proud of it. ***There are some graphic images. I don't think they are too bad but if your extremely squeamish you might not want to read***
~peanut~

Mama’s friends line the walls, climbing on lifeless trees, almost real but not quite. Their tails follow them up the broken bark of the wood. If they could move they would be higher, away from eyes, away from people. But they aren’t afraid. They stand frozen, climbing, their clawed feet digging into the tree.

Some crawl on the mantel where they have been for ten years, holding nuts to their tiny mouths, feet splayed out, like Superman, trying to sprint across the dark bricks. Their eyes look like tear drops, lopsided and sad, dark brown and endless. The glaze reflects light in a small square on the very top of the iris. Their ears stand straight up, awaiting that last sound that called for their attention. It is better in the kitchen. Only knick-knacks line the shelves above the cabinets. In there we know that they aren’t real, a glass reproduction instead of a stuffed mannequin.

But don’t say stuffed to Mama; it sets her off. I learned that early. They aren’t stuffed; mounted is what they are. She told each of us that on the first day. I pause and wonder if Mama knows that she killed me that first day.

My feet hit the carpet, my small eyes taking in the rooms soon to be mine. I could see the stuffed animals, fur still on the bodies, eyes following me around the room. I looked at my feet, pink sandals over soft, tan flesh. The bag in my hand was heavy; the new lady stood in front of me and my social worker, staring behind us at back of the door.

She looked old, not like the young woman the social worker told me about; they must have gotten her age wrong. Blonde hair, long and sprinkled with silver strands, she didn’t look like the picture I was shown. Her eyes didn’t look at me but she smiled off into the distance, nodding her head as my social worker, Ms. Ritcher, talked.

“She’s very bright,” Ms. Ritcher said, patting my shoulder and trying to get the lady to look at her. “But I’m not sure how she is going to adjust. The family before said that she was…stubborn. Locked herself in her room for a week. She worried them.”

“I think we’ll get along fine, won’t we, Lacie?” The lady asked. “You’ll like it here, honey. I have lots to teach you.” Her eyes looked at me, dark brown, pupil disappearing into her iris. She reached out her pale hand and grabbed my wrist, sharp claws of nails dug into soft flesh. My fingers opened, and my bag fell to the floor, Barbies without clothes and stuffed animals missing patches of fur tumbled out of the opening at the top.

The social worker glared. My face turned red as I tried to slip my hand out of the lady’s grasp. When I got free, I crouched down, picking up plastic people and dying bears, stuffing them back into the pink bag Ms. Ritcher gave me.

I stood up and looked at the lady, then at my social worker. The lady held my wrist, not as hard this time and Ms. Ritcher glanced around and into the room behind us. Her eyes stopped briefly at each creature on the walls and furniture behind us. Ms. Ritcher’s eyelids folded back, as she stared shocked at all of the animals.

“I think we can take it from here, Ms. Ritcher.” She smiled down at me. The social worker looked frazzled, confused, nodding her head quickly before she headed to the door. She never came back. There was always some one new who looked around downstairs then left without many words.

The lady guided me to her lab, the tiny room set up in the attic of the house. I stared, captivated by the glinting metal and bright lights reflecting back. They were spread out on tables as long as the walls, lamps dangling from thin chains attached to the ceiling. Cages sat on the floor, some big, standing almost to my knees, smaller ones to my ankles.

On a table in the back pushed against the wall, a little animal sat, with bright eyes and a tail that stuck straight up toward the ceiling. I stared at it while the lady looked around trying to figure out what to show me first. Her eyes were as bright as the animals’. I had seen the things before, climbing trees and hopping through grass outside of the orphanage. Squirrels, Ms. Ritcher used to point out.

But these animals weren’t breathing; they had no life in them and I wondered how they could stand without air. I wanted to ask but I hesitated, not knowing what to call this new mother. She looked at me like she had heard my thought and said quietly, “You can call me Mama.”

Mama made me watch as she took skin from a cage and soaked it in liquid. The smell was like bleach, burning my eyes and stinging my nose. The first three days of my life with her I breathed it in, the only fresh air coming from the second story window. Confined in the attic, marble eyes followed me in my nightmares. This house wasn’t like the others. Mama wasn’t like the other parents. I wasn’t sure she could love me at all.

Mama whispers that they are always here. They listen. We pay close attention, nodding our heads but silently disagreeing. After hearing what she did to me, the other kids make sure they don’t make her mad.

We hear the story every time a new kid walks through the big oak front door. I think she likes to remind us. I think she hears our whispers. We hate the squirrels. She knows because she knows everything.

Three of us can repeat the story by heart, but the twins will learn. Recalling the details of Mama’s childhood here in Alabama, how the squirrels loved living near this house deep in the woods. Mama did, too. She always talks about the farm house, the family…her family that had been there since before she was born. She says her love is genetic. Each of the women with Maxwell blood flowing in their purple veins has a passion about animals that the rest of us can hardly wrap our brains around. Mama is the most enamored.

In the hallway the clock cuckoos—a contraption with many different things carved in the wood. It’s difficult to see the squirrels until they pop out of the center. In one of the bedrooms, a baby cries. I jump, not sure which one it is.

Above the crib, squirrels scurry through the air, moving clockwise on a mobile. Through the dark wood bars I can see Connor’s face, red, puffy from crying his tiny eyes out. His little fist curls together like a boxer’s. It reminds me of the pictures Mama likes to show. The famous ones with the warring squirrels locked into death match. She wants to be that famous someday, to create something that is that well known to the people who like having dead animals in their house.

Connor is heavy, heavier than Caroline, his twin, sleeping next to him and twice as loud. I prop him on my shoulder, holding the back of his head, his hair soft under my fingers. His chubby cheek rests against my shoulder and I turn to leave his sister whose eyelids flutter quickly while tiny squirrels dance in her dreams.

His little fists yank my hair, pulling long blond strands into his fat fingers. I bite my tongue, forcing myself not to scold him as I pry his hand open. When we walk into the living room I can hear the creak of the floor boards above, where Mama does all of her work. There is a ribbon tied around the bottom of the stairs, the sign that she is waiting. I shiver thinking of what she is probably going to have me do, what she is going to teach me.

Luke is in the living room, his blond hair curls around his ears. He looks out the window, not at the television. There is a blue ribbon in his hand, exactly like the one that was on the stairs for me. Mama wants him, too.

The TV blares, scenes from Up flashing on the screen. I don’t listen to it. I can’t stay to watch, not when Mama is waiting. I hear the sounds rise, the volume turned up like a concert or a theater. I pass Connor to Amber who is ten, old enough to watch the twins, to keep them quiet. She doesn’t notice as I motion for Luke to come with me. He presses the volume button one more time raising the voices of the Pixar characters to an almost deafening level, but we don’t want the babies to cry.

I stop before descending the stairs, remembering little Caroline still sleeping in the crib. The door opens slowly but when I see through the rails that she is still sleeping I don’t bother her. My hand reaches for the baby monitor, the other end of it stuck to the wood of the crib. I pass it to Amber before I go upstairs.

The crimson ribbon twirls around my fingers, sweaty and almost shaking as I walk up the steps. Under the door I can see glow from Mama’s lights. She has to be able to see everything.

A cage lies on the floor, lined on the inside with a tarp, shielding the animal from the dangerous bars. If the fur is damaged it’s no good. I can hear it, the creature crying, and I panic thinking about little Caroline. I should have taken her to the other kids, let one of them hold her in case she hears what we are about to do. It thrashes about, kicking the wire box, trying to fight its way out.

Luke is already there, pellet gun in hand; behind him Mama smiles.

“This is your big day,” she says, looking at Luke, eyes wide with excitement. It scares me, makes me wonder if this is what she loves, not the animals. Luke has been practicing, shooting bulls-eyes painted on Coke cans and peanuts off the picnic table outside. But this will be the first time he’s done anything for Mama, anything to a living being.

I can still hear his voice, it plays back like a record, old and hard to erase.

“Just aim and shoot; it’s already loaded.” I said. Luke looked at me, squinting at my face in the sun.

“It can’t be that easy; what if I miss?” He lowered the gun, not even attempting to aim.

“Then you miss, who cares? You do realize this is just practice, right?” I laughed at his face, serious and offended.

“I bet you cared when you missed. So why can’t I?”

“I cared because Mama was the one watching me. I’m not her so you don’t have to worry about it. I don’t care if you miss. Actually, I take that back. I hope you do.”

He stared at me as his hair fell into his eyes. He scrunched up his nose as he studied the heavy metal in his left hand. “If you don’t care then why do I even have to try? She won’t know if I don’t. She won’t know, will she?”

“Duh, she’ll know. She’s inside the house, it’s not like she’s in another city. Guns make noise, remember?” I paused, thinking of Mama in that room upstairs. She could probably see us from the window but I didn’t mention that.

“It’s just a Coke can,” I reassured him, but he looked at the ground, pellet gun dangling from his limp fingers.

“But it won’t always be. You said—”

“Shut up. I don’t even want to think about it. And if you tell Mama I told you, Luke, I swear—”

“You swear you’ll what? I was gonna find out sooner or later. It’s not a big secret; even Amber knows she’s next.” The gun rose, his hand tight on the handle, barrel pointing toward the picnic table. Neither of us said a word as the gun cracked and the Coke can clinked to the ground.

I try to smile at him; I know what it’s like. Two years ago, when I was thirteen Mama had me do the same thing, practice with a pellet gun in the back yard until I was a good enough shot not to screw anything up. Luke is better than I was, has a better aim, but his hands are shaking more than mine did.

He stands at the end of the room; Mama and I take our places beside the cage. The ribbon pools like blood next to my foot when my hand lets go of it. Mama counts backwards from ten, giving Luke enough time to breath and steady his hands. His eye squints, the other looking down the barrel.

When she rips the tarp off, the air around me disappears, replaced by the smell of the peanut butter the squirrel is licking, tiny flecks of goo stuck to its claws. Strong and rich, good enough to lure them in, the last thing they get to enjoy. I think it’s Mama’s turn now, to enjoy something. Mama says one, a whisper, but she points to Luke telling him to shoot before the squirrel sees the outside world, before it bashes its head into the metal bars. The gun cracks, a loud clap of thunder in the small space. I jump as it sails into the squirrel’s fur, a small hole, but Mama can fix that. I grimace; Luke lowers the gun, looking at the floor, not wanting to see what he’s done. And Mama smiles at the body, another friend to join her.

I back up, away from the cage, leaning against the doorway, careful not to tip backwards. This always happens, the nausea, the aftermath. I close my eyes and wait for the world to quit spinning. My breath stops, then starts again exhaled breath leaking slowly out of my mouth. I don’t want to smell the peanut butter. My eyes stay closed; I don’t want to see Mama’s wide grin as she praises Luke. I can hear Mama’s voice in my head.

“You did it, Lacie,” Mama said, walking toward the thing I had shot. My teeth hurt from pressing them together too hard. I didn’t look at Mama. Back then Luke and Amber were the only others in the house. I had sat them down in front of the TV and told them if the volume was too loud to listen with their fingers plugging up their little ears. They didn’t understand.

She made me look, hooking her cold fingers under my chin and guiding it toward the gruesome thing in the cage. My heart broke when I saw it. It could have been sleeping if it wasn’t for the jagged hole in its belly. Mama didn’t care that I missed its head, all she cared about was teaching me how to be like her.

“Lacie, pull your head out of the clouds and come help me,” Luke whispers at my side now. When I open my eyes, Mama has moved from her place on the right side of the cage and has made her way to the table. The cage is gone now; I can see it in Mama’s plump hands, palms pressed to either side. She holds it steady, the squirrel inside is still like a doll shot through the heart: limp and bloodless.

Luke and I walk slowly to the table; Mama’s knives and scrappers glint when she turns on more of the lights. I pray that Amber is keeping the kids busy, that they don’t try to come up here while this is happening.

Mama flips the squirrel on its back, head facing the right, then looks back to make sure Luke is watching. I try not to, averting my eyes when Mama turns around. I can hear the skin tearing as she runs the scalpel across the animal’s belly; she pushes it down only a little. The pressure of the blade is not strong enough to cut through the meat underneath, just the top layer of skin that she’ll use for the sculpture. She lifts the knife up then points it down, making incisions along the feet and arms, then brings it down the center of the tail until the skin can be peeled off.

Something cracks and Mama pulls back the skin from the feet, toes still in the top, broken off from the bone. Luke looks like he’s going to pass out, and Mama doesn’t seem to notice. She motions for him to step forward on the left side of her and points toward the squirrel, feet poking out of skin.

“Peel it, Luke,” she says pulling a little more skin back before grabbing his hands and making him do it. His hands shake and jerk at the skin, pulling it roughly. I want to help him, to get this done so he doesn’t have to do it anymore. I look at Mama, who is watching him carefully and hope that she doesn’t make him do this again.

“God, why didn’t you listen to me? Weren’t you watching?” Mama is getting angry. The squirrel tattered, broken from where Luke squeezed too tightly or pulled to roughly. When I look back at them she is pushing him out of the way, the scalpel in her hand moving wildly. I move back, hoping it’ll give Luke space to get away from her, but her blade nicks him, blood slides out of his arm, escaping. He backs away, stumbling into me and pushing me back.

He doesn’t say anything to Mama; he just runs out. His bare feet hitting the stairs fast and quick. Mama ignores it, oblivious to what she did. She hums as she tries to repair Luke’s mistakes.

That night I call Luke up to the attic. Mama’s nails are digging into my arm as my strangled voice calls out his name. I pause for a second, not wanting to say his name again but Mama is impatient, her hand connects with my face and I let out a cry of Luke’s name, shrill and scared. Downstairs, a baby cries and when Luke reaches the top of the stairs, a red hand print paints my face. It’s still red when Mama locks the door and pushes me down the stairs, Luke’s fists already too tired to bang on the wood. Mama keeps pushing me until I’m in my room, her hand flashes out again, the red mark made brighter and I cry when the lock twists and pops in the door. I don’t know what she does to the other kids. I don’t know if Amber protects them, but I know that the next time Mama makes me shoot I aim carefully. I'll point it just to the side of the cage. And be sure to hit the mark I'll draw mentally on her skin.
Last edited by peanut19 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:31 am, edited 8 times in total.
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:40 pm
carbonCore says...

So I've read this three times, on two separate days, before I felt ready to type up a review. This is quite a phenomenal piece, and I've felt dread in a low gear for for the entire time I've been reading it. Mama's portrayal as a nutcase was particularly effective for me. But, of course, even for an amazing work like this there is room for improvement.

This is mainly a stylistic issue. The kind of voice you've written the story in demands this kind of style, but nevertheless I was still confused at times. For instance, the bag that Lacie carried at the beginning-- whose bag was it? Hers or Mama's? Might want to clear that up a bit.

Another thing that confused me at first was the presence of other children in the house. The way the story hops across many time periods, I wasn't sure whether the children came from the orphanage as well, or were just visiting. It's a weak point to bring up, but it was still an issue on the first read-through.

The piece was of a very appropriate length: any longer and it would drag on and become redundant, any shorter and it wouldn't make sense. It never really holds the action up, and I stayed engaged the whole way. The characters help this case as well; they are dynamic and yet not overblown; most of their characterization is subtle, as it should be.

I don't think I can whip up a full-sized review for this piece, mainly because it would be an over-long marriage proposal. However, I can say that I highly enjoyed this. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Your scalpel,
cC
_

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:44 am
Flemzo says...

Wow.
Absolutely wow.

When I saw that it was 3k words, I literally groaned. But as I read it, it sucked me in. I started looking for mistakes, but then I started wondering what the hell was wrong with Mama, and what was going to happen to the little kids. The story was really haunting, and each description of shooting the squirrel in the cage was a little sad and very creepy.

There was nothing I could find to improve, but that may have been because I stopped looking at it critically after a while. Very well written, the characters were developed nicely, and I really enjoyed it.

Amazing, beautiful. Keep it up.
kf

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:42 pm
StellaThomas says...

Sarah! Stella here as promised! Okay, so, everybody seems to like this a lot. I therefore feel it is my duty to find as much wrong with it as possible... if possible...

I. NITPICKS

Their tails follow them up the broken bark of the wood.

Well, what other kind of bark is there? (Woof woof yes, I know- shut up).

Their eyes look like tear drops, lopsided and sad, dark brown and endless.

I'm not really complaining, only querying your opinion on glass eyes. I mean,I wouldn't call them endless. But I guess it's a matter of opinion...

I looked at my feet, pink sandals over soft, tan flesh.

I feel like this could be phrased better.

She looks old, not like the young woman the social worker told me about; they must have gotten her age wrong. Blonde hair, long and sprinkled with silver strands, she didn’t look like the picture I was shown.

Tense!
“She’s very bright,” Ms. Ritcher said, patting my shoulder and trying to get the lady to look at her. “But I’m not sure how she is going to adjust. The family before said that she was…stubborn. Locked herself in her room for a week. She worried them.”

I've never had a social worker, but I'm quite sure they're trained not to say these sort of things in front of the children in question...? That said, it's a very effective way of showing us Lacie's character. Hm. I'm conflicted.

flowing in their purple veins

Is there something special about purple veins? I wouldn't necessarily take it out, but it just seems odd.

famous ones with the warring squirrels locked into death match.

in a death match, maybe?
to keep them quite.

Um.

Mama says one, a whisper, but she points to Luke telling him to shoot before the squirrel sees the outside world, before it bashes its head into the metal bars.

one what?

II. THE ENDING

This is really well done, Sarah, and I enjoy the resolution that Lacie comes to at the end. I'm just concerned about the way she comes about it. The last paragraph to me seems a little bit rushed, a little bit forced. Amber could use some fleshing out since she gets that place of honour at the end. Luke and Lacie you've managed to capture quite well. But the last few lines, while powerful, could use a little tidying up. I'd like to see a little more of Lacie's thought process as she works up to that final decision as well. We can see it coming, but not, I think, clearly enough. Basically, your beginning and middle are very strong, but I'm getting the impression that though you knew perfectly well where you were going to end, you ran out of steam on the way there. I'm not making any sense! Just... don't change the essence of the ending, but flesh it out, make it clearer and just a little bit... better.

III. OVERALL

The praise this is getting is really quite deserved. The writing conference was obviously very effective! I just feel you need to rework that last paragraph or so. Otherwise, lovely job :)

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:10 pm
captain.classy says...

Hi there!

Wow, Butters, this is amazing. It's probably the most intricate story I've read on YWS. It's sad, and cinematic, and confusing all at the same time. I think it's a wonderful piece, I just think you have a few confusing parts, which I'm going to try and help you clear up.

Some of the problem with this story is that you tell parts that aren't really that relevant, and then you leave out parts that you really should be talking more about. Especially with short stories, you shouldn't ramble on about things that don't really move the plot forward, or relate to any character, or any important situation happening within the story.

An example of something irrelevant you put in your story would be the talk of the ribbons. We never even find out what your character was supposed to do with them. It seems like this big key ingredient to what's going to happen upstairs, but then your character just ends up dropping them. I don't really understand why it's mentioned at all. Maybe you forgot to explain what it was for, I don't know. But you should probably tackle that!

I pause and wonder if Mama knows that she killed me that first day.

I know that you probably didn't think while writing this sentence that it would be as significant as it is. However it is the sentence that opens up the story, and it can tie together everything if you use this line properly. This is a pretty common line to use when tying a story together, but it's a good one and I'm glad you've decided to work with it.

So this is the sentence that gets you on your way. After this you can start to explain what happens in the house, how crazy Mama is, and it's basically where it starts getting interesting. About halfway through the story, you should start mentioning the killing again. Why you should is because this is the last sentence we read before seeing a 'flashforward' in a sense. This sentence will stick in readers minds, and if they hear something again about your character being metaphorically killed, they will think "Oh, right, the beginning" and then remember everything they've read so far, thus tying the story together.

Anyways, it will seem more put together, rather than some idea you started with and then forgot to finish with. You should probably mention it in your last sentence, also.

I don’t know if Amber protects them, but I know that the next time Mama makes me shoot I’m going to miss.

Uuum... okay? Totally anticlimactic. Oooh she's going to miss, she's going to show Mama by missing. 'Cause Mama can't pick up the gun and shoot the darn squirrel all by herself. I wish there were a bigger ending, something that will stick with me. But this ending kind of just makes me go, 'eh, good story.'

Anways, this is very nicely written, and you can tell you spent a long time on it. It also flies by, there's no need to shorten it. It doesn't even feel like 3k! I liked it very much, Butters.

Keep writing,

Classy

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:15 pm
Demeter says...

Hi, Sarah!

Guess what. You're totally my 666th review.

She told each of us that on the first day here throwing it in to normal conversation.

This sentence is a bit odd; I had to read it a few times to understand it.

Her eyes looked at me, dark brown, pupil disappearing into her iris.

This is all very well, it's just that you just talked about irises a few lines back, so it's a bit repetitive.

Ms. Ritcher’s eyelids folded back, exposing her whites and irises as she stared shocked at all of the animals.

And again! xD I think we can safely say you can scratch some of those irises (figuratively speaking of course ;))

Collin is heavy, heavier than his Caroline, his twin, sleeping next to him and twice as loud.

Is it "his Caroline" intentionally?

Luke is in the living room, his blond hair curls around his ears. His brown eyes look out the window, not at the television. There is a blue ribbon in his hand, exactly like the one that was on the stairs for me.

This sounded a bit repetitive, with the [colour] [noun] thing going on.

I pass Connor to Amber who is ten, old enough to watch the twins, to keep them quite.

Quiet, maybe?

He stared at me, his hair falling into his eyes. He scrunched up his nose as he studied the heavy metal in his left hand. “If you don’t care then why do I even have to try? She won’t know if I don’t. She won’t know, will she?”

You change tenses here?

Neither of us said a word as the gun cracked and the Coke can clinked metalically to the ground.

"Metallic" is not a good word to use here, methinks. You don't have to have an adverb, since you already have "clinked".

Sarah! You do have it in you! I am extremely positively surprised that you can write something like this, I mean I knew you write well, but since the novel has been a bit actionless so far, I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I was also a bit intimidated by the length of the story, but I didn't even notice it as I read along!

I was a bit confused about the tense changing. It almost seemed as she was a younger inexperienced girl at times and then at times older but still narrating the same scene? I can't explain what I mean, really... Also, I'm not sure I know who Luke and the other kids are all that well. I mean, I get that they're sort of her foster siblings or something, but I didn't feel like you described them enough for me to know them. Then again, this is already quite long as it is...

There were quite a lot of good lines I wanted to quote and say how much I liked them, but then I decided to read along. Just thought you should know xD

Overall, this story was right up my alley. I love creepy and weird stories like this. This might be even more effective if it was shorter though (not to mention more reader-friendly)!

I'm so glad I read this! I've just been reading your novel lately, and I think it's important to read many different works by people to really understand what they are like as writers! Very nice job.

Demeter
x

P.S. Schadenfreude ;)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:59 pm
RacheDrache says...

This was several shades of horrifying. Good gods. I feel just a tad bit sick physically, and I'm mentally revolted. I believed it, and that was the worst part. And also the most brilliant part. Someone could actually do this. *shudder*

The random theme generator spat you out a bit of gold. What it needs now is polish and tightening so nothing's wasted or unclear, etc.

In that regard, I agree with what Carbon had to say entirely. With Classy, I agree about the ribbons--I believe they were Mama's way of summoning a particular kid--because the ribbons never amount to anything and don't seem particularly relevant yet. I disagree with Classy, though, about the last line. I loved the ending. So much. The story's calm, so why shouldn't the ending be? It was perfect to me.

As for my own observations, right before the end was shaky for me. I couldn't figure out what, exactly, Mama was doing to Lacie. When she mentioned "locked the door" I thought Mama had locked Lacie out and then turned on Luke. So that could use some clarification.

Otherwise... again, polishing and tightening. All the content is there. Go through line by line and make sure every word and every phrase is doing exactly what you want it to do.

Any questions, let me know pronto.

I loved this so much.

Rach
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

272 Reviews

Reviews: 272
Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:22 pm
beckiw says...

Hey Pea!

This probably isn't going to be a very helpful review!

The two mistakes I noticed were that you called the baby Connor and in the next paragraph it was Collin and then Connor again.

The other one was this - I stop before descending the stairs, remembering little Caroline still sleeping in the crib - Isn't she downstairs? So wouldn't she ascend the stairs? Sorry if I'm wrong but it confused me a little.

Overall I really quite enjoyed this. It was quite dark but sucked me into it but also made me a little horrified, which I guess is the goal! At some points it was a little confusing. I think maybe because of the way it's written it's a lot to do with what's going on in the character's head and less about the surroundings but it was sometimes a little difficult for me to picture the layout of the house and what things kind of looked like. At the beginning with the social worker in the house I got a little confused when I think you were describing her 'little friends' or the squirrels. This may have been because I was getting into the flow of the story though.

And there were some parts that were left unexplained that I wanted explained. I guess maybe I just wanted a little more or wanted something to happen.

I hope that was remotely helpful!

If you have any questions just PM me :)

Bex x
'The creation of a single world comes from a huge number of fragments and chaos.' - Hayao Miyazaki

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:14 am
Octave says...

Helloooo Peanut. So I'm ignoring the books I needed to study because I skimmed over the piece, it caught my attention, and the reviews said it was magnificent. 8] Now I'm here, and I've read the piece. Let's get this over with, shall we?

First of all, I'll tell you that yes, this is a good piece. Very well edited, and quite tight in terms of characterization, plot, and flow. That doesn't mean there's nothing to edit, though.

I had two main issues with this.

Sometimes, your main character's voice and your first person POV betray you. Hold on - I'll fetch an example.

My feet hit the carpet, my small eyes taking in the rooms soon to be mine.

The second part - look at it closely. Even some authors do this, because it's pretty difficult to catch. Still, to improve our writing, we have to get rid of those lapses in writing. The second bit of that sentence (my small eyes taking in the rooms soon to be mine) isn't real. It's an authorial intrusion disguised by the me and mine. Think about it. When you look around the room, do you realize your eyes are small/big and consciously think about them as so? No? Didn't think so. These little sentences distracted me from the narrative, which is a shame.

Here's another authorial intrusion -

When I got free, I crouched down, picking up plastic people and dying bears, stuffing them back into the pink bag Ms. Ritcher gave me.

She loves those dolls and bears; otherwise, she wouldn't have brought them with her. So tell me, why is she calling them plastic/dying? ^^" That's your voice again. Excellent description, but first person narratives are severely limited by the character's voice and biases, so it means you're going to have to find a way to justify why she calls them so.

Also, in that entire scene (the one where she's introduced to her foster mother), her voice is wobbly. She tends to sound incredibly mature in some areas, then tame down to a childlike voice in the rest. Smooth it out a bit, will you? 8] The rest of the piece was wonderfully consistent in terms of voice, save for that part.

Speaking of consistency reminds me that the scene where she teaches Luke to use pellet guns was heartwarming, but it made me wonder why she dared do it when she thought Mama knew everything. If Mama knew everything, wouldn't Lacie be afraid to allow Luke to slack off? They'd both get into trouble, no? If Mama knew everything, would Lacie really tell Luke about what Mama makes her do? I know Mama doesn't know everything, but Lacie seems to believe it. She constantly says so. Then later on - she thinks of killing Mama. This last bit I can forgive, since she's really mad at that point and angry people don't think rationally, but every other time -?

It's a minor plot bump, and I don't think anyone else noticed, but you might want to smooth it over.

My next big problem is probably a personal thing. :| My attention wavered in this piece. To tell the truth, my attention wavers when I read most stories on YWS, but I hardly ever bring it up unless I come to a full stop and find myself unable to finish the piece. However, I think it's worth bringing up in your case because the story's well-written, and I'm fairly sure you can easily fix the cause. The conflict tends to sag in the middle, which is probably because some scenes in the middle were fairly directionless. Try to tighten the other scenes a bit more, maybe add a little more tension there, and the story would work even better. Mostly I'm talking about the scene with Luke. :| I found that one really disconcerting, as you can tell, and quite anachronistic. Yes, it's nice to inform me of the relationships between them, but it just didn't seem to fit in with everything else, presenting consistency problems and lagging the story.

So again, I like this, but I think it can be improved. ;] Good job, and let me know if you need anything or if you have any questions by dropping me a PM. ^^ I'm glad I decided to skip studying and read this.

Sincerely,

Octave
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:28 pm
View Likes
MasterGrieves says...

*two hour standing ovation*
Wow. Just wow. Wow. Just wow. Wow. Just wow. Wow. Just wow. Wow. Just wow. Wow. Just wow. Wow. Just wow. I'm just going to do it forever if you don't mind. Well, where do I start? I loved every single line of it. You are a genius. You are an architect. You are a pioneer. You are purity. You are awesome. You rock. You're one of the best writers not just on this site but in the entire site. You are everything I want to be. Draco Malfoy would be proud.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:43 pm
EmilyofREL says...

HI! I'm not gonna review this cause I did that already. Just wanted to let you know again how awesome this is and how awesome you are! Miss you, and camp :)
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly