z

Young Writers Society

And the Light Fades (chapter 3 part 2)

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:21 pm
peanut19 says...

We wait until the hearse pulls out and then follow the long black car. Police sirens squeal as we drive. They have started to drive in front of the black car. We drive absent mindedly through red lights cops have been stationed to direct traffic. It is like this all the way to the Hallowed Hall Cemetery.

The drive snakes around the entire cemetery, a one way road. We drive past every grave until we are back near the entrance where my mother’s grave will be. I have no choice but to get out and follow my family to the freshly dug grave that will hold my mother’s body.

A rig of sorts hangs over the open grave. I watch as a group of men carry the casket and place it on the metal. They heave it noiselessly to the rig. A hundred pounds of dead weight plus the wooden casket must be pretty heavy; but none of the six men seem to mind.

I watch as they unpin the white lilies that are on their tuxedos and place them gently onto the white wood of the coffin. Slowly everyone walks up and places a lily on it; I eye a basket that lies on the ground near the swarm of people. I walk toward it and grab the rough handle. Splinters dig into my palm as I close my fingers tightly around the braided wood.

Around me there is silence. The horde of people stand motionless around me, their eyes filled with tears, blurring as they stare at me. My body tilts forward until the fabric of my dress is the only thing between me and the cold place that my mother is being held prisoner. My hands shake and I sigh inwardly, grateful for the box that I am balancing against. Knuckles white with the pressure from holding the basket too tightly, my right hand struggles to lift the basket so that it is on top of the casket. I tilt the bottom up and raise my arm.

I can feel eyes on my back as the lilies rain down, some falling into the moist dirt. It is what she would have wanted. To be showered with love once before the end.

A hand rests gently on my shoulder. Before my eyes can adjust, someone guides me back to the chairs that have been set up in the front of the tent. It is Uncle Collin. I can feel myself trembling under his big hands. I am still shaking as I am lowered into a hard chair. It feels like the ground is rumbling under me. The pastor has begun to talk again, I hear my name once but the rumbling is so powerful I can’t make out anything amidst his mumbling.

Tissue paper thin bible pages crackle and threaten to tear; he pauses to smooth them down, pushing the words back on the page. The air is silent for once today; the wind ceasing around us. Aunt Jessa is crying beside me. The pastor’s words fall out of his dementia coated lips, tripping over each other on their way to our ears.

The bible verse that he recites is said eloquently, like it’s the only thing he remembers. It echoes in my head, the words sinking into my brain. They are words that Mom used to tell me, that she believed in even though she didn’t go to church.

The tent rustles; the pastor is silent. I can hear the pads of shoes and the brushing of the grass as people move out from under the blue tent. Oh God, I think. They are about to bury her. I close my eyes and breathe in the cold air, my racing heart makes it hard to take deep breaths. Light trickles into my eyes as I hesitate to open them. The only people left in the tent are my family.

I stand. I want to touch the casket, feel the smooth wood under my finger tips and pray for her one last time.

“Sweetheart, you need to move,” the pastor tells me politely. His voice is calm but he seems tired, like he doesn’t want to have to deal with me. The veins stick out of his hands as they hold the wire rimmed glasses and clean them with a blue handkerchief that he has pulled out of his pocket.

I nod, but something catches my eyes as I back up. From where I stand it seems as if the lilies are curling in on themselves, making little tubes of petals, like rolls of paper. Something glints and a red spot devours the first petal, a spark of fire charring the creamy white tubes of flowers. I back away, taking a big step backward. Sophia is behind me. When my heel clamps down on her toe she lets out a cry and shoves me forward, closer to the edge, to the sparks and dying flowers.

Something creaks in front of me and the casket moves. The silver clasps on the side shoot sunlight into my eyes. When I blink, the afterimages create tiny black and green dots spotting my field of vision. The clasps seemed to be unhooked, popping open. I blink again but the spots seem to get bigger. There is another creak and the lid of the casket moves open.

I scream and turn away, the body inside looking at my back. It feels like there is a fragile hand on my shoulder, threatening to crumble into pieces. I shriek again. I don’t turn back, or try to fight the feeling on my shoulder. I just sit. My knees slide down into the soft grass, the black dress offering only a small amount of protection against the cold ground. My head rests in my palms, my nails pushing crescents into my forehead. I flinch from the pain, but it is better than what I almost had to witness. Around me I can smell the flowers, rancid and rotting with smoke.

“Alyce,” some one behind me cries out, “please stop.” It isn’t a request, it is a plea. I pull my hands away from my face, unfolding my body. I feel terrible, guilty and sick, but it wasn’t my fault.

“Oh my God, Alyce, your face.” I reach up to where my forehead is throbbing. I can feel ten crescent moons, five on each side of my forehead near my temples. The headache pounds against my skull. I don’t move to talk; any movement will make it worse. I don’t blink, or I try not to, I don’t want to see the flowers or the sparks. I don’t want to see anything ever again. But I don’t say that, I am silent, trying not to breathe. If I can just stop breathing the smell won’t be able to find me. The smoke won’t kill me too. I let other people do the talking, even if it is about me

“She did that this morning, too, in the car before the funeral,” I hear Sophia say. I try to listen to every word they say, but my head is likely to float off of my shoulders. Dots flicker in my vision, the threat of passing out looming over me like a cloud. I let out the stale air and wait for the smoke to fill my lungs as I inhale.

“Some sort of post traumatic fit, maybe,” Aunt Jessa suggests. I think she is talking to the pastor but her words might be directed at Uncle Collin there is no way to know. I am sitting up now but I think they made sure to begin there conversation where my back would be toward them. I stare off into the distance, outside of the tent there are at least seventy graves stretching from here to the small patch of woods before you hit the main road. The wind is blowing again whistling as it hits the tombstones and as it races through the trees.
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:20 pm
lilymoore says...

Hey there, beanut! I would be happy to make a grammar run through of your piece. And holy wowsers has it been a long time since I even thought about And the Light Fades. I’m kind of really excited to read some more of this actually!

We drive absent mindedly through red lights cops have been stationed to direct traffic.

You’ve got a run on here. I would probably split them up between “lights” and “cops” since that would make the most sense.

A hundred pounds of dead weight plus the wooden casket must be pretty heavy; but none of the six men seem to mind.

This actually doesn’t need the semi-colon. Instead, to create more sentence structure variety, I would just make it a compound sentence by nixing that semi-colon.

I eye a basket that lies on the ground near the swarm of people.

Aye Aye, Captain! Okay, that was a bad pun or something but I wouldn’t use the phrase “I eye” just because it sounds clumsy. Go with something like “spot” or “notice.” Or feel the wrath of Captain Lileh!

Around me there is silence. The horde of people stand motionless around me, their eyes filled with tears, blurring as they stare at me. My body tilts forward until the fabric of my dress is the only thing between me and the cold place that my mother is being held prisoner.

These should really be two different paragraphs. The italicized is talking about the crowd and the second, bolded, part along with the rest of the paragraph is describing Alyce’s actions.

It feels like the ground is rumbling under me. The pastor has begun to talk again, I hear my name once but the rumbling is so powerful

“rumbling” gets to be a little repetitive here. I would find a way to chance the second “rumbling” personally.

The pastor’s words fall out of his dementia coated lips,

“dementia coated” should actually be hyphenated but I also find myself wondering about why the pastor’s lips are coated in dementia. It raises some questions that I have a feeling won’t get answered…

making little tubes of petals, like rolls of paper. Something glints and a red spot devours the first petal, a spark of fire charring the creamy white tubes of flowers.

“tube of” again feels a bit repetitive.

and the lid of the casket moves open.

“moves” feels like kind of a lazy word and it doesn’t feel at all very creative. I would try to think of something different to go here.

Hoofta! Okay, I think we’re done with all of that.
I did want to touch on two bigger things because, well, I feel I should and/or must.

Funeral vs. Memorial Service

Now, I didn’t think much about this until now (it never crossed my mind the first time I read some of ATLF either. But I’m thinking about it now because I was just recently at a memorial service for my Great Aunt. Now, because her mother’s death was as it was (smoke and fire damage and such) wouldn’t it have been more likely that they would have had a memorial service for her? This is usually the case because the body, with that sort of damage, will often be cremated instead of having a burial and that would mean that there would have been a memorial service instead of a burial. I mean, it’s still possible as it could have just been a closed casket funeral but from what I understand, most people who die in fires and such are often cremated…so…yeah. Just something I figured I would point out.

Sentence Variation

I just wanted to make a bigger note about your sentence structure because for the most part, a lot of this portion at least (I can’t say much for the whole novel) is very subject verb some other stuff. And it can feel very flat to the reader so I would definitely consider blending some sentences together to make some more dynamic sentences.

Otherwise, thanks for asking me to read this, beanut! Good luck with the rest of the novel.

~lilymoore
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:41 pm
StellaThomas says...

Sarah! Stella here!

I. NITPICKS

We wait until the hearse pulls out and then follow the long black car. Police sirens squeal as we drive. They have started to drive in front of the black car.

We get it, a hearse is a black car.
Tissue paper thin bible pages crackle and threaten to tear; he pauses to smooth them down, pushing the words back on the page. The air is silent for once today; the wind ceasing around us. Aunt Jessa is crying beside me. The pastor’s words fall out of his dementia coated lips, tripping over each other on their way to our ears.

I just want to say, I think this paragraph is really gorgeous- though I agree with Lily- why the dementia? Will we ever find out? And also- why are they crackling if there's no wind? Jeez, I stopped to give you a compliment and now I'm picking holes in it. Sorry.

They are words that Mom used to tell me, that she believed in even though she didn’t go to church.

What verse? I know it's probably not important, but due to your attention to detail so far it seems a shame to miss this out.
I can feel ten crescent moons, five on each side of my forehead near my temples.

Did she do it herself or what?

I let other people do the talking, even if it is about me

Missing a full stop here?

begin there conversation where my back would be toward them.

their. Also. The structure of this sentence is really confusing.

II. PLOT

It's beginning to worry me a little at this point. I love your style, and you know that. It's the substance I'm beginning to fear for. I know you have a plot so I'm not worried that you don't have one, just that it's not appearing soon enough. The descriptions of her conversations with Toby, the pastor's speaking, everything, fall to pieces when we can't see the point behind them. It's still enjoyable enough to read, but I can't see where it's going. I'd try and work your storyline in better and stop this just being a scene of a girl at her mother's funeral. It's a deeply personal situation for Alyce to be in, but it's also not the most invigorating thing to read because it's so dismal. What's going to happen after the funeral? Where's the story going to go? I know we're going to find out soon enough. But soon enough... doesn't feel like soon enough.

III. OVERALL

As a portion, I feel this is much stronger than the last one. Nice job.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:35 pm
Demeter says...

Sarah!

SORRY SORRY SORRY I feel really awful. I keep putting things off, what a bad habit... I hope you're not completely furious at me!

We wait until the hearse pulls out and then follow the long black car. Police sirens squeal as we drive. They have started to drive in front of the black car.

This sounds a little repetitive/stiff, since the both sentences end with "the black car".
We drive absent mindedly through red lights cops have been stationed to direct traffic.

Absent-mindedly is a compound word in my opinion, and something in this sentence doesn't make sense… Are you missing a word somewhere there?

I watch as a group of men carry the casket and place it on the metal.

"I watch a group of men carry the casket and place it on the metal" is how I would probably edit this. So the same thing without the "as", in fact!

A hundred pounds of dead weight plus the wooden casket must be pretty heavy; but none of the six men seem to mind.  

This sounds a little stiff as well… how about "They make a hundred pounds of dead weight -- look very light" or something?

I watch as they unpin the white lilies that are on their tuxedos and place them gently onto the white wood of the coffin.

Be careful! This is the second "I watch as [people]-- and place [an object] on" sentence in a short time.

My body tilts forward until the fabric of my dress is the only thing between me and the cold place that my mother is being held prisoner.

I like this sentence, but "the cold place" drags it down a little. Maybe replace it with "the hole" or another one-word expression?
My hands shake and I sigh inwardly

How do you sigh inwardly? It sounds a bit weird. Why not just sigh? 

It feels like the ground is rumbling under me. The pastor has begun to talk again, I hear my name once but the rumbling is so powerful I can’t make out anything amidst his mumbling.  

Is the rumbling-mumbling thing intentional? In a way it's funny, but I'm not sure if it fits the mood...

The pastor’s words fall out of his dementia coated lips, tripping over each other on their way to our ears.  

I like this sentence as a sentence. However, there's a logic issue that stood out -- would he really be a pastor at a funeral if he had dementia?

The bible verse that he recites is said eloquently

"He recites the chosen bible verse eloquently" is how I would say this.

Oh God, I think.

Either "Oh God." or "Oh God." "I think" isn't necessary, as this is in first person.

I stand.

Nnnno. I don't think this is a good choice. This may be the place to be minimalistic at, but still, it stands out too much among the long sentences.
The veins stick out of his hands as they hold the wire rimmed glasses and clean them with a blue handkerchief that he has pulled out of his pocket.  

What is relevant in this sentence? Think that through and make this a bit shorter. As much as I enjoy details in stories, too much is too much. For example, you could scratch everything after "handkerchief". That's just a suggestion.

My head rests in my palms, my nails pushing crescents into my forehead.

Oh my.

“Some sort of post traumatic fit, maybe,” Aunt Jessa suggests. I think she is talking to the pastor but her words might be directed at Uncle Collin there is no way to know.

But they just were at the funeral? I think it's okay to be shocked at one's own mother's funeral. The word "post-traumatic" is usually used when there has passed a lot of time between the shocking event and the shock itself. Also, "There is no way to know" should be its own sentence.

As a reader, I am close to starting to get tired of the slow pace. I know it's your style, and I'm sure some people enjoy it, but I'm starting to want more action. It got a little better towards the end, but that's still not enough. I'm looking forward to when things will start to happen. :)

Please don't stop asking for opinions, even though I just proved that you may have to wait for them for a while...

Demi
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Okay, first of all, who names their dinner? I don't want to know my dinner's name. This potato--is this potato named Steve?
— Rick Riordan, The Sword of Summer