z

Young Writers Society

Space Oddity (contest)

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:32 am
Loller65 says...

Fer the RSG contest. 863 words. For the 13-17 age bracket.

Spoiler! :
Your story is about a doctor in a futuristic space station watching ballet.

Spoiler! :
Dave sat in the communications room. With each breath, more of the stale air filtered through his system. The screen flickered with light. Across his face, bluish flashes glided and jittered.

"Anna..."

She swirled and swirled and swirled, the pink of her tutu forming a disc about her waist. He crept closer to the screen, a few of his hairs raising and jutting towards the screen.

"Anna..."

His hand rose slowly and he placed it against the glass. It was cold to his touch. She continued to swirl on an endless, silent loop.

"Pause."

The ballerina stopped, jittering slightly.

"Play, end loop."

She now stopped swirling and pirouetted, her chubby arms lifted towards the heavens. She now came down. The clumsy, bumbling dance was over. She tried to bow and fell backwards. The camera shook. Whoever was recording it had laughed. Dave bit the back of his hand, the tears rolling down his cheeks and puddling with the blood around his teeth, their slight salinity stinging somewhat.

"Rewind."

The motions happened all in reverse until the ballerina was now simply standing there.

"Play."

The words were barely a whisper. The voice recognition software failed to detect it. He spoke up this time, choking on his words.

"P....Play."

The video began again. Dave sat back in his chair. The ballerina was confused, looked at her fellow dancers, trying to catch up to them. He chuckled, choking back the hard lump in his throat. She tried valiantly to speed through the motions of the dance but kept getting more and more confused. He laughed this time, smiled. She stopped trying. The other ballerinas began spinning now, so she did too. Spinning and spinning and spinning. They stopped, and she pirouetted again, wobbling from the disorientation of spinning. The bow again. The tumble. The shaky camera. Dave could no longer handle it.

He collapsed to his hands and knees, the brushed steel office chair still swiveling in his absence. He cried, tears puddling on the sterile plastic floor beneath him.

"BODILY FLUID DETECTED"

The floor under him began to glow red hot, the tears boiling away.

"BODILY FLUID SPILL STERILISED"

Dave fell to his side, sobs shaking his body.

"Anna...oh, Anna..."

Minutes passed, turned into hours. Dave rose and returned to his chair. It too was cold to the touch.

"Video 2, play."

Now the same small ballerina stood on stage, now longer adorned in a pink tutu, but a purple unitard with gossamer butterfly wings attached to her back. She and the other ballerinas stumbled around the stage, waggling their arms. Dave struggled to stand, pressed his forehead against the cool glass of the screen, and watched blurry ballerinas hop around carelessly. They smiled, their bright eyes searching for their families in the crowds.

He slid down against the wall and pulled his knees into his chest. His head flopped down against his knees. He slept. In his dream, the same dream he'd had for months now, the ballerina beckoned for him with outstretched arms. He waved to her. Her face fell. He said they'd see each other again in no time. He promised. Then the throngs of people enveloped her small face. He wanted to turn, to scream he loved her. To tell her it was all going to be all right. But he kept walking away. Miles away. Years away.

Dave's eyes opened with a jolt, the harsh light of the room burning them. He rubbed his eyes, attempting to rid himself of the physical pain. The mental pain, on the other hand, was incurable. Dave needed drugs to banish it. The computer system kept all the drugs locked away unless a patient needed it.

The patients wouldn't need them. They were dead. All of them. Just like their family members. Just like the Earth. Just like Dave's precious Anna, his ballerina, his sweet young daughter who he watched dance over and over again. Endlessly, she twirled on the small screen, and all Dave could do was watch. He couldn't tell her how much he loved her, how it was all going to be okay. Nothing. He could do nothing but watch.

"Computer. Video 1, loop."

He collapsed into his chair again. The small ballerina twirled happily. Dave managed a weak smile. It was better than nothing, at least. He shut his eyes as tightly as he could, trying to suppress the tears. He failed, the small droplets spilling out underneath the dam of flesh. The puffy, red eyes opened quickly as he attempted to blink them away. The screen once more caught his eye. Still, his ballerina twirled happily. It was her big present to Daddy before he headed off to the hospital in the sky. The computer blared its daily warning at him.

"BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS: DANGEROUSLY LOW. HYDRATION: INADEQUATE. AVERAGE DAILY CALORIC INTAKE: 50. SUBJECT NEEDS IMMEDIATE ATTENTION BEFORE SUBJECT DIES OF MALNOURISHMENT."

Dave looked at the granola bar the computer dispensed for him to eat. He tossed it across the station. Dave was ready for death. Ready to go to sleep and not wake up. Ready to be free of this hell.

Ready to be with his little girl.

And there it is.
Last edited by Loller65 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:47 pm
VivielTwixt says...

The story is well-written and the concept is interesting, too. The only thing I would recommend is that you change the second-to-last paragraph to dialogue. That would make a more forceful ending don't you think?

Dave looked at the granola bar the computer dispensed for him to eat. He tossed it across the station. Dave was ready for death. Ready to go to sleep and not wake up. Ready to be free of this hell.

Dave looked at the granola bar the computer dispensed for him to eat. He tossed it across the station.

"Damn the nutrition. Damn everything. Just set me free from this hell. I'm ready to go to sleep and not wake up. I'm ready to go home."

On retrospect yours might be better. You might be able to rewrite it better than me. Good job whichever you use.
If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to change the world, there's nothing to it
-Wonka

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:10 pm
qaralynn says...

Heeey awesome hawk!
I'm gonna go review this because it's awesome and because it's well....AWESOME XD
I totally enjoyed reading this and really felt those emotions..I just loved the idea of a little ballerina..It makes her look so innocent. Just a little nitpick:
Now the same small ballerina stood on stage, no longer adorned in a pink tutu, but a purple unitard with gossamer butterfly wings attached to her back.

Well that's pretty much all I've got to say! I love it!! I really enjoyed reading this and I hope this helped a little..
-qaralynn-
"If they can't be with you at your worst, then they don't deserve to be with you at your best."
-Murtuza-

"Even though a ship won't sink at sea, it needs to be steered to get home."

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:14 pm
mistielovesyou says...

I liked this, and the emotions and everything presented in this. I especially felt the desperation of the man, and his sorrow. Good writing. I wouldn't really fix anything here, so this is awesome.
mistura is awesome and she loves you

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:42 pm
Dreamwalker says...

Hey there, Loller! So I know this is ridiculously late, as per everything I do, so I hope you don't mind me reviewing this now! The contest is not due for another week or so anyways so I hope you don't mind!

Either way, Walker here as requested.

Now, because I'm late, I'm not going to beat around the bush here. Lets get to the nitty-gritty instead with things that could be generally improved upon, kay?

1. Action, action, action.

What we have here is a classic case of the third person writer who tries to put that idea of emotion across with action instead of inner thought. This is normally used when we are following sub-characters or ones who are not the main. Here, though, we have the main character, so the emotion which came across in his actions felt a little detached, like you were unsure how to grasp the emotion yourself so you displayed emotion as an external thing.

The problem is, a reader has a hard time connecting with someone or something so detached. We want that inner emotion. We want that turmoil and the meloncholy. We get 'He did this. He cried. He was so sad.' and its like reading the same line over and over again with different words. Same song, different tune.

So, what I'm going to say is try and flesh the emotion out. Don't just have it act as 'action action action' all the time. We want that inner turmoil that comes with losing someone you love. The whole plotline of this piece revolves around that, ne? So show us why this deserves to win!

A way to fix this might be to switch this to first person. I'm a first person writer so I'm a little biased, but its just a thought!

2. Emotional, yes. Short story? Maybe.

We get a very interest and intimate look into how your said protagonist is coping or, more importantly, how he is not coping. Its hard, I know, to come up with a solid, concrete plot on something so random, but thats really the opportunity this contest brings! We get the chance to use our minds and create something that isn't necessarily what we are used to creating.

That being said, I want to see more plot. This is pretty much a reaction to death. It was emotional and it was sad, but there was no twists and turns. There was no real character, either, other than the fact that this guy just lost someone. So flesh this up not only with a more intimate look into the character's heart, but also the characters life. It would be a lot more interesting if we had a bit of a backstory instead of finishing this and going 'okay, so what happened?'.

3. Redundancy; the silent killer

Now, there is one thing as a writer that I strive to not do. Its something that we all, as writers, should not do. Its also a mistake that is commonly made and technically not grammatically incorrect. Its just an eyesore. That being said, I'll pull an example from your piece;

He crept closer to the screen, a few of his hairs raising and jutting towards the screen.

Now what about this sentence seems off? I'm sure its hard to spot. Sometimes its not, but for a reader, it is very apparent. You use the word screen twice.

In some cases, repetition can be used for effect. Here we have a word that is repeated but does not appear to be done so effectually. Our greatest thing we have as writers is our vocabulary. Its our tools. Its our instrument. We want the best and sharpest tools if we want to create works of which people will enjoy.

But when you have a line that contains two of the same words, the redundancy is there. It shows that you could not think of a better word. That makes it seem like your vocabulary is still rather... dismal in comparison to what it might actually be. That redundancy, to a publisher or an editor, is the silent killer. That repetition is what will generally lower what someone may think of your piece.

A good tip to get around this general error is to try and never repeat a noun, adjective, or adverb in a paragraph, let alone a sentence. Connective words such as 'and' and 'the' may be used more than once but try not to use them more than once even in a sentence. If you practice this, you'll see that your writing come across a lot more eloquently than it would if you didn't.

Overall

Generally, I liked this. I liked the fact that you sculpted an idea around the line given to you and I really enjoy the fact that you wanted to do something a little more emotional than that of a short story piece. It gives depth of thought and depth of character. The only problem I really have with this is the lack of it really being a short-story. There is no real underlying message. Theres no plot or reason. It seems to be more of an exert from a certain piece of written instead of a story on its own.

So I want you to think of how you can explain your thoughts a little better. Not just the emotional action but the reason as well. Don't leave the reader questioning what they just read.

~Walker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe.
— John Milton (Poet)