Young Writers Society

Turning the Tables(1.3)

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:27 pm
MiaParamore says...

Join the club or die! Muahaahhaa...I am not kidding! :smt003

Final Part of Chapter-1

Rebecca and I used to be two bodies and one soul. We shared so much with each other that at one point we used to forget what was originally ours. Those were the days-the days when we had everything we wanted from each other. Love, friendship and support. But as the time faded, the Golden Trophy of our Friendship lost its sheen and slowly melted away. All thanks to the dust gathering on it; to the pressure on our careers. We didn’t part our ways. We both moved up to New York, stayed in the same flat for three months, but soon the thing friends have was lost between us. I yearned for it so much. But I still considered her my bestie, and I hoped she did, too. We met often, more than often. For others, nothing had changed between us and sometimes even I used to wonder if I was over-complicating thing and we still really were like we used to be. The answer was locked away for now.

❦ ❧ ❦ ❧

The warm air enveloping my house allured me into it, and as a person under hypnotism, I paced forward, while clutching tight the knot holding in place the blue scarf I had found. My eyes nervously crept right and left in their sockets, scanning the area, taking in the soulless street. Faint chirping of the birds reverberated in my ears, and even as I tried my best to block it out, the sound cut through my heart. Their pitch, which even though was low, acted like a knife searing through my heart. How could they be singing songs of merry while my world was tearing apart? Shouldn't the world have come to a standstill, waiting for dear Alicia to find back her body? Was it too much to ask?
Even as my steps progressed towards my building, my mind wandered into different directions. I was sure about two things. First, I was worried. And second, I had a valid reason for it. Even as the positive side of my brain encouraged me to go up and face whatever the fate had in store for me, its counterpart spread its hands like wings requesting me to stop. The least it wanted right now was to find my body serving some other soul, even if it was Rebecca's. But positivism wins, and so both of my mind's sides combined like chemicals do during a reaction and pushed me towards my house.

Sneaking into the alleyway, when I was totally sure there would be nobody to create a nuisance, the flip-flops I wore rubbed themselves against the tar of the road and then as I stepped on the grass, the small grass plants tickled my not-almost-covered feet. I kept on saving myself from slipping on the dew from the grass till I reached the concrete part of the alleyway. A small staircase stood there. Tracing its route, my head lifted higher to see the window reflecting at me. I squinted.
Stepping forward, I climbed the stairs which led to my apartment. The place was a lot better than the one I had woken up to. The pavements were cleaner, there were no cats lurking around to leap my heart out of place, and most importantly it was home. Finally reaching there, I undid the knot of the scarf I wore to hide my face. I had found this scarf in the barber shop. Taking off the scarf, I felt like I had cut loose a rope which had been slowly eating my life. I rubbed it before I resumed on my mission.
I always left my window open; I never locked it from inside, and at this moment I felt like applauding me for one right habit I had formed. Digging my nails into the handle of the window, I tried pushing it up, but it took more than just one push. I looked back to see if anyone was watching me, but nobody was. I got back to my business until the window opened its mouth slightly and a low creak could be heard. Throwing it up like they do for shop gates, I jumped inside, trying my best not to make much sound. Once inside, I could feel the soft sheen like warmth of my house hugging me, and for a slight moment I could picture myself waking up to a normal day- sitting besides my window while sipping in my bubbling hot mocha. Of course I knew it was just an illusion.
Exhausted, I landed on the big black sofa in the hall. I took in a couple of breaths, rejuvenating me of the entire horrible experience I had witnessed this morning. I was still hoping that I would wake up to find myself back in my own body, and as the scene drifted in front of my eyes, I could feel myself relaxing. For a moment, that tiny weenie moment, I felt that everything was already alright, and I had won a big battle. But what I was oblivious of was that the battle was yet to come-the one for survival. Running my fingers on my forehead, I flicked open my eyes. I got up from my sofa and walked to the kitchen. Once reaching there, I pulled out a glass from the cabinet and lifted a bottle and poured the water in the glass. Raising it to my lips, I drank from it and the water gushed down my throat, bringing in a cold wave. I kept the glass in the sink, and walked back to the hall.
This time, while walking towards the sofa, my hand accidentally hit a photo frame kept on one of the side-tables. “Oh, my!” I uttered as I almost saved it from breaking. Turning it towards me, so the front was visible, I saw Alicia Kingston and Edward Brown staring at me from the photo down below. They both looked so happy-I was crouching over his back while he circled his arms around my legs. This photo evoked in me a sudden need to be with him, to be in my body, that I was about to smash the photo on the ground. Not this, silly.
“What you’ll do, Ali?” I asked myself, my hands on my butts. “This mess? How to get out of it?” As the seconds passed by, I became more and more aware of the fact that I was totally clueless of what I had to do. I could call Edward, but would he believe me? Who was I now? Rebecca Swift, not Alicia Kingston. There was not even minutest possibility that he’d believe me, but if he couldn’t find my body, then maybe there was a chance of him at least considering what I was saying. The more I thought about it I was glad this idea had jumped into my head, but at the same time its success seemed slim. My other options didn’t seem so tempting either. Police? Nah, they’d straight away send me to some asylum. My dad? No, I didn’t want to worry the old man. I totally felt frustrated. I had no right over my body, over my identity any longer. Nobody would believe that I was Alicia and not Rebecca. I could totally feel the fear stretching in my veins and helplessness striking me like a big monster.
“Oh, my God!” I wailed. “Wait, Ali…what would have you suggested somebody to do if they were in this situation? Think, think.” I started thinking of all the possible ideas I’d have suggested some other soul (not body). Since childhood, I had been better at solving other’s problems rather than mine. Call it superstition, or my bad luck, but it was always true. While others jumped with excitement on their problems being solved by me, I used to sit back and frown on thinking about mine.
Changing the recipient of the problem from me to Rebecca, I suddenly had a brilliant idea. The best thing to do in this situation was to find myself. I mean my body. If I could get it, then there was every possibility that I’d be able to solve this weird mystery. A smile flickered across my mouth, and I strode off to my phone.
Trin! Trin! Trin!
After a couple of rings, some lady picked up the cell and there was sudden increase in my heartbeat. It was my last chance and if I didn’t make through this, then I was ordained to stay in this body forever.
“Hello?” The lady spoke.
“Um, could I talk to Alicia Kingston?” I asked.
A moment of silence followed and I almost went to cancel the call.
“And you are?” The voice answered back, or rather questioned.
“Rebecca Swift, her friend.” I was amazed by the quickness I had in answering that question. It was like I had that name for myself on the tips of my tongue.
“Oh, I see! Actually, I am Nurse Paula. Your friend met with an accident. She’s being treated here…in Summer Life Hopsital,” Paula answered hesitantly, her words toppling over each other. It wasn’t an easy job; telling somebody about an accident, I guess.
It was tougher to listen it.
❦ ❧ ❦ ❧
In my attempt to rush inside, I almost forgot my purse in the cab and when the honking by the driver brought me back to realty, I almost got myself hit by the cab’s door.
“In a hurry, miss?” The cab driver flashed a crooked smile up at me, his tobacco coated teeth shining along. Without replying or nodding, I turned my back on him and dashed inside the hospital building with my purse flaring. I wondered how on world I had selected this yucky red leather purse.
Once inside, I was greeted by the rancid smell of ammonia and urine. It immediately triggered off the memory of the crusty smell of frying chips and alcohol I had woken up to in the morning. The only difference it made was that such life-threatening smell is obvious in a hospital-it belonged here, but not every house was so lucky to have rotten smile like of chips and alcohol to loom around inside it. The smell of blood coursed through my nose, and I had to pull out a handkerchief out of my pocket which went in front of my nose to block the smell.
As I walked my way through the gaggle of tensed people, I was able to stare right into their bloodshot eyes. Some of them looked older than I assumed them to be, while others stared in the empty air, their mind wandering inside the ICUs their loved ones were in. They didn’t speak to me, but their fear did. By their faces anyone could make out their anxiety, and I was literally sorry for them. But then there was someone whom I needed to be sorrier for. Me! This ‘me’ subject was really getting one of my least
For the first time since the call, I could feel tension. The ruckus I had found myself in after hearing the word ‘accident’ had not really given me a chance to think over and picture myself in an accident. For the few seconds, I wished strongly that the nurse was joking because it was the only way I could have solved the mystery; by finding who resided in my body. But now, as the time passed by and the destination came closer, my nervousness was rushing through my veins. The sight of me lying on a white tiny bed with IV tubes running through my veins, a monitor beeping my progress rate and my distorted face attached to that helpless body wasn’t going to leave my brain so soon. I shook my head repeatedly but the image was stuck like glue.
After a confused walk of two more minutes I saw the reception desk. Running there, I spoke in gabble, my words confusing even me.
“I am Ali-no Rebecca Kingston. Eh, no, it’s Rebecca Swift.” A long breath. “Yeah, I am Rebecca Swift.” I faked a brilliant smile at the receptionist. She scrunched her nose and eyed me suspiciously. I again smiled.
“Are you sure, Miss?”
“Yeah. Actually, my friend Alicia Kingston got admitted here. I’m really…tensed?” I nodded, moving my head vigorously to reassure her. The lady kept on staring up at me, and at the end of those tedious two seconds, she smiled. Actually, no, she tried smiling. But her snob face had not yet registered that expression. “If you please?”
“Yeah, yeah, sure! Alicia Kingston?” I nodded. She clicked some buttons on her computer and jotted down something on a pad. Very meticulously, keeping one finger on one side of the paper and pressing it hard, she tore the paper and handed it to me. “Right turn from here,” she pointed on her left and I mouthed something like ‘thanks’ and headed in the direction.
Walking where she had asked me to, I looked down at the paper and read ‘Alicia Kingston-ICU No. 5”. Couldn’t she just have told me? I snickered, and anxiously made my way towards what read like ICU No. 5. Once nearer, I could make out the muscles from the back of his shirt. He stood there, his back towards me, kicking constantly in the air. I ran to him. My Edward. Sensing someone’s arrival, he turned back.
“Thank God, Becca, you’re here,” he sighed and a weak smile came on his face. I noticed how grim he had turned in the last twenty-four hours. The last time I had seen him, his hair was a perfect golden, parting sideways and his eyes were a perfect blue. But now the whole new depressed version of him sent goose bumps down my spine as I looked into his eyes, the red nerves emerging in the white of them. His hair? A mess. Literally! If he weren’t my Ed, I’d have taken him to be a ruffian on road.
“Don’t worry. Calm down. How’s she?” I didn’t think it was a wise idea to tell him about my situation. Not now!
“A lot better. Though there are twenty stitches on her head, and a minor fracture in her hand. Christ, what was she even thinking?” He brought his hands to his head and started pressing it. I noticed how his impatience was getting higher every passing second as he kept on pacing back and forth.
“How’d she get into this?”
“Huh?” He pulled his hands down from his forehead.
“The accident. How did she get into it?”
“Rebecca, you don’t know?” He asked me in disbelief, and I mildly shook my head. Inside, I was cursing everything that had happened with me last night, and the fact that I didn’t remember any of those things perturbed me even more. I wondered if Rebecca was supposed to know any of this-things Ed was speaking of.
“You came in the morning, Becca. And now you’re asking me what had happened? Unbelievable!” he remarked. I found myself sinking deeper into this problem. I wanted to tell him the truth, but he wouldn’t believe me. But if I didn’t tell him, then he would doubt me otherwise. I was trapped.
“I’m just...too messed up. Help me out? I rolled my eyes as innocently as possible.
“Last night, after the party, she drove back home. You know, like, she was drunk. Purely drunk. I had asked to drive her back, but she was too upset.” Faint memories of last night came back to me, but it was still the incomplete jigsaw. I still had to complete it. “It’s my entire fault,” he muttered.
“Huh?” I came back to realty. Why was he blaming himself for my foolishness? My mom had strictly counseled me not to drive while drunk, but would I care to listen?
“I should have forced her to not drive.”
“Oh, yeah. You should’ve.” Instantly, my mind did approve of him apologizing. Come on, he was my boyfriend; he could surely pull me out of the driver’s seat and drive instead. I couldn’t help but curse him under my breath, but looking at his innocent face, all of my anger faded.
“God, please, save her,” crossing his hands he began humming something.
If there was any word that could best describe my situation, then no doubt, I would go with the word ‘confused’. Even though there was Ed by my side, several nurses scurried in the hallway, and the stinging smell of blood was there to keep me company, I felt all lonely. In such a situation, what was I supposed to do? Even worse, what if my body died? Was I to be live inside Reb’s body for the rest of my life? The thought was good enough to make me yell, but I had to quell my furiousness inside of me till things got bit better.
I was so wrapped up in my thoughts that I didn’t know when a doctor wearing a white lab coat stepped out of the ICU and along with him came a nurse. He mumbled something to her, and she looked at both of us and then nodded. That was when I noticed them Ed’s eyes were closed, and I nudged him on his arm. Panicking, he opened his eyes. “What happened? Is she fine?” The nurse walked away, and the doctor looked at both of us.
“Mr. Brown, she’s perfectly alright. No need to worry any longer,” he flashed that less-used-in-a-hospital smile and relief entered my soul.
“Thank God,” Ed tried smiling, but the anxiousness had really left him unstable. Seeing him worrying for me like this, I could feel an immense love, and I was about to hug him when suddenly I remembered who I was. Rebecca hugging Edward was not such a great idea.
“Can I meet her?” I chirped.
“Of course, but be slow. Don’t ask her too many questions,” he rolled his pen and started leaving. “Don’t even scold her for driving drunk,” he looked back to add. For the first time since I had came here, I heard Ed laughing and turning back to him I noticed that tiny droplets of tears had joined his flight of laughter. That was how much he loved me. Lucky me!
“May I?” I asked, and he hesitantly nodded. Pushing the door, I made my way inside. Closing the door behind me, I took a huge sigh. The hope had again started glimmering. My body was in the same position-IV tubes running out of my hands, bandages plastered on my forehead and beep beeps echoing in the room.
Finally, after a long morning, I had seen my face.
Maybe it was the end of the nightmarish morning I had lived till now. I could only hope.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Shubhi!

Okay, I just read your first chapter, but wanted to comment as a whole.

I thought this was great. It had good emotion, good flow. It was easy to follow and the detailing was great. Nicely done, daughter!

there's quite a few phrases that need working, but I'm on a tight writing schedule and can't get to it right now *smiles*

The only thing that bothered is: why would Edward let Becca go in first when it was obvious how upset he was? Shouldn't he have run in first?

That was my only real nitpick. You did a great job with this: congrats!

Mom.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:22 pm
Sins says...

From the first post of this chapter:
I am going to post this chapter in three parts since it's longer than anything I've written(you'll get to know). I am not in much need for the review of part-2, but for other ones. You could just read them and review whatever you like--I am more keen on getting reviews for part three though. I have blabbered a lot...

Err... Have you seen the beginning of my posts, Shubhi?

just one last thing---I hate it.

No, Shubhi. You're sounding like me now. ;)

Anyway! Now for the actual review!

I'm not sure what kind of format this review is going to be and I haven't planned it... so it may be a bit confusing because I'm technically reviewing three things in one post. If you do find anything confusing, you know what to do. Just ask me about it through PM, or leave a comment on my wall. Paul will be more that happy to see you.

I'm going to try some kind of structure though, I think. I'm going to try and review this part by part. They'll all be rather brief and more of an overall review for the part thing really, and I'll probably only come up with one main critique for each one. Once I've done each part separately, I'll go into a more overall review of the chapter itself. I don't think that makes much sense at all, but hopefully, you'll be able to see what I mean when I actually start the review...

Part One

She always said that the world looked brighter from her shoes. Her shoes were lovely, funnier and most importantly full of love. Mine were somewhat antonyms of all the adjectives in her life.

This is the very beginning of the chapter, and also the very beginning of the novel. As a whole, I like the content and idea of it. It instantly makes me wonder who she is. The reason I've quoted it though is because, at first, I was very confused. It's probably just my lack of brain cells, but when you said her shoes, I took it literally. As in Rebecca literally wondered what it was like to wear what Alicia wears on her feet... My only suggestion is to replace her shoes with her eyes or something like that. You could probably come up with something a bit more original than her eyes, but that's just an example.

When it comes to the first part, it was the ending that bothered me a little. I know it's technically not the ending of the chapter or anything, but nonetheless, I will mention it. In case you're not sure, I'm talking about the dream. You have Alicia standing at the alter with Edward, and everything's happy. Then Rebecca randomly just appears. Basically, I'd like to see a more subtle change. Instead of having her just appear from nowhere, maybe have more of a transition. Maybe have a daunting feeling of something negative building up as she gazes into Edward's eyes, or have her look at Edward's hands to see that they've changed into female's hands. Just something along those lines would be cool.

Part Two

%u201CThat%u2019s what I wanna do, too! Who are you, but?%u201D

You will not understand this in the slightest, but you have no idea how that phrase is relevant to me and the are I live in... :lol: I'm not sure if you've got that but there on purpose, but it's amusing me. Basically, where I come from, referring to someone as but/baht is a chavy/thug-like/commoner's way of calling them your friend. Ah... Some Welsh knowledge for you there.

My critique for the second part is connected to Alicia's emotions, I suppose. I think that you could have expressed Alicia's confusion when she realised she didn't know where she was a bit more. To me, she seemed more angry than anything at first. For example, she was annoyed at the fact that the room was messy, annoyed at the boy on the PSP as well as the girl she didn't recognise. I just think she would have been a bit too confused to notice what the room looked like and how messy it was. I know you like your descriptions, Shubs, but I think you could have lessened them a bit in this part.
If you want to describe how messy the house was, you can still do that. Just don't do it straight away when she wakes. up. Maybe you could have her thinking about it when she's out of the house. By then, she will have gotten her senses intact and might have gotten a grasp of what was going on more.

Part Three

I didn't really find many problems with this chapter, so that's good. The only real thing I noticed that I don't want to mention in the overall review is actually the same as what Tanya said. I found some aspects to Edward's reactions to things a bit weird sometimes. He seemed very worried about... err, Alicia/Rebecca/the girl in the bed (you know what I mean), but it kind of felt like when he found out she was fine, he was totally cool and happily let Alicia go in before him. It was almost as though he wasn't bothered about seeing his injured fiancé. I mean, he seemed happy and you had him cry with happiness a little, but I find it weird that he didn't want to go straight in to see his fiancé.

I don't think it's much of a problem though because it's easy to fix. If you want to have Alicia walk in first, you could always just have Edward go in too. Because we haven't seen the next part yet, I can't tell if Edward being there when they get into the room would have any kind of effect. I mean, if the girls are going to talk about the whole body switch situation, then I'm guessing you wouldn't want him there. If that is the case, you could always just have Alicia waiting impatiently while Edward speaks to his fiancé (I keep saying fiancé because the whole body switch thing might confuse me otherwise xD), then Edward leaves to get some food or something, then the girls speak.

Chapter One - Overall

Phew! Okay. As a whole, I think this is great, Shubhi. I still adore the whole body switching idea. There are so many things you could do with it, so I'm certainly interested in what you're planning on making happen next, and where you're planning on taking this. We haven't really seen much of Rebecca yet, so I can't comment on her character much, but I will say that I like her life situation right now. She seems to have a lot of mystery about her, so that's good, plus it's an aspect that makes me want to read on and find out more about. As for Alicia, I like her voice. She's easy to follow as well as interesting.

I've definitely noticed that you've taken reviewers advice from the original versions of this, then used that advice to edit the chapter. For example, one of the main issues I had last time was that I found it hard to believe that Alicia had never seen Rebecca's house before (Also, didn't the two MCs have different names before? Not that it matters xD). I'm glad to see that you've now included the fact that Rebecca recently moved house, so it made sense why Alicia had never been there before.

Now, onto some critiques!

The first thing I'll mention is only a little thing really. Basically, I'm not sure if it's just me, but Alicia seems a little younger than I think she's supposed to be. I mean, she's engaged, so I assume she's rather old--eighteen or so at the least. To be honest though, I don't think it's one of those things that you can just fix with a click of your fingers because it is simply one of those things. I want to tell you not to worry about it though. Right now, Alicia seems around 15-18 at the very most, but I don't think it's a huge problem at all. Besides, it might just be me. Plus, when you're 15 yourself, it is harder to write in the POV of a character that's older or younger than around 15 years old.

One of the things that I did notice throughout this was that you sometimes had too much telling, but not enough showing. Before you start panicking though, it honestly wasn't all that much. In fact, it was mostly in the first part, like, at the very beginning where you were describing Alicia's relationship with Edward a bit. The telling feeling did pop up here and there, but there honestly wasn't all that much of it around. You know all of the rules, aspects, suggestions and what not of showing and telling, so I won't give you a giant essay about it. I just think that you should read over this again, and if you see something that even hints at a telling feel, try and reword it to get rid of that feeling completely.

The only other critique I have for you now, I think, has something to do with what I said about the third part of this, and actually the first part too. I found that sometimes peoples reactions aren't as realistic as they could be. In the third part, it's where Edward didn't seem bothered about visiting his fiancé in the hospital room after the accident. As for the first part, it's Alicia's reactions to waking up in a different body. Remember me saying about Alicia seeming more angry than confused when she woke up? That's what I mean. In general, your reactions are okay, but there is the odd reaction here and there that seem a little off. I don't think it's anything that can't be fixed though.

What I suggest is for you to think of it like it's you in the situation. I mean, what would you do? What would you do if your fiancé had been involved in an accident, and you were waiting to find out how he was? When you found out he was alright, what would your feelings be? Would you want to run straight into the room he's in? You might even ask the doctor some questions first. Obviously, your characters aren't you, so you wouldn't do the exact same things all of the time, but in general, it's easier to put yourself in the situation and see how you react. That way, the reactions of your characters will at least be more realistic. Once you've got them realistic, you can then put the character's personalities into it a bit more, but still keep it realistic. Does that make any sense?

This review's getting really, really long now, so I think I better end it soon. There are some things that could be improved, but there are plenty of positives too. With a bit of work, I think this first chapter really could be great. Keep up the good work, Shubs! If you have any questions about this rather confusing review, just let me know.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:10 am
Yuriiko says...

Hello, Shubhi!

Oh my. That's interesting to read. I want to know what will happen next so please let me know. ^^

The warm air enveloping my house allured me into it, and as a person under hypnotism, I paced forward, while clutching tight the knot holding in place the blue scarf I had found.

First of all, the quoted line can be shortened. That being said, you might want to rephrase that with something stronger. I'm not really going to focus on that part because that's just minor. As far as the story goes, the narrator seems to describe every little thing she sees. The scarf, driver, the windows, and etc. which only played a minute part on the chapter. I remember the tip thread (here on YWS) you made about descriptions, and you should definitely apply it here. Only mention things, persons and places that are very important in the story. You don't need to give any adjectives on every little things, which leads to my second point. If possible, slash out those adjectives and adverbs which only distracts the flow. If they don't play any importance into the story then why bother focusing them? ^^

Speaking of the story plot, I think Im enjoying it. I like the kind-of cliffhanger at the end and it definitely make me want to crave for more. But then, it seems that the Edward scene only contributes a minute part into the story which isn't supposed to be.

As for the character's point of view, I like her thoughts running throughout the story but it doesn't develop very well. So try working on that. Her reactions are realistic, but then again try to slow down with her descriptions because they overshadows the conflict- the climax of the story.

Grammatically speaking, you have done a good job. However, you should always proofread ahead because I can still see some few errors, especially when it comes to punctuation and the awkwardness of a single sentence.

Overall, thanks for the good read. Let me know if you have any questions. Keep writing! 8)

Peace out,
Yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:07 pm
lilymoore says...

Heya Shrubs!

So, I find myself wondering about at first paragraph at the beginning. It comes off of the bat as seeming more telly then showy and you don’t want that. Waiting possibly, or sticking that detail of Alicia and Rebecca’s relationship earlier into the story would have made way more sense than at the opening of the chapter.

And then there’s the transition from the second paragraph and the third. One moment she’s in Rebecca’s house and then all of a sudden she’s outside. So be careful to watch your location-based transitions.

“What you’ll do, Ali?” I asked myself, my hands on my butts.

This is a little lesson in what is necessary and what isn’t. The dialogue you need. But why do we need to know that her hands are on her butt? If it’s pertinent to the story, then tell us. But it seems very random and it stops the flow of reading to ask “WHAAA?”

But the main issue you need to work on is the wording of your sentences, Really be careful to read over everything out loud or ask a good friend to read it to you, word for word, acknowledging every comma, hyphen, and punctuation mark. You’ll spot a lot of places throughout where the wording could be cleaned up and smoothed out.

All in all, though, the story sounds interesting. But using instances of words like “totally” can make what would be a more mature character set seem less mature. Even though you’re only 15, your characters should read like they’re 20-somethings so keep an eye out for that!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or drop a line on my wall!
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:00 am
Shearwater says...

Hey shrubs! So I'm here to review this part for you! ^__^
Sorry for being a tad late but I'm here, right? I'm becoming slightly lazy when it comes to reviews, can you blame me? My life is packed with with many useless things that I must do...

Anyway, I actually read the 1.2 part of this and I thought I'd give you some tips and tricks on that part first before I start reviewing this part as a whole, if that's okay? Well, it seems like Skins has done quite a thorough review of this already so I don't know if I'll be of much help. Nonetheless, I will give you my two cents, how is that? lololol

So, as far as the second part went, I felt like it too draggy. You had some really good description and your character's thoughts were quite nicely done and it was leaking with characterization which I enjoyed. Especially the sarcastic tone to her voice. I liked that, it made her seem a little more real to me.

However, there were times where I found myself skipping over description and/or paragraphs because it seemed like to went on your way to describe many details that we didn't need to know. At some points, I was thinking that your worded your sentences to make them look longer on purpose so the writing would 'feel' somehow, more engaging or professional. However, a good writer know how to keep a reader attached and how to say the most with few words.

For example, if you're going to tell me that someone of the same age, height enters the room as same as the main character and another secondary character then you don't have to tell me all that. You can just say that a girl popped up in front of the MC that looked about her age. And also, I wouldn't mention the age or anything at all if they're the same because readers will automatically think they're the same age unless you tell them differently. Such as if a child comes into the scene or an older adult or elder. You see what I mean? Let me know if you still have questions on this bit.

Overall though, the second part of your first chapter was interesting. I like Rebecca's friends. They seems funny and look like they might get into a lot of trouble which will keep the story interesting and fun. :3

Now, for this chapter. I see you doing the same thing as the previous part. You tend to explain things in real depth and detail which makes it boring for the reader and will sometimes make us loose track. I actually stopped reading this and went to do something else and then came back to it later to finish the review and all. That's not good. I'm not saying that you have to fly by the scenes like a roller coaster but you might want to take out some unnecessary descriptions and imagery that you have in here. It's like you tell us every little action we don't really need to know that. So, beware of this in the future. I've made the same mistake before in a previous novel and ended up deleting it, lolol so I don't want you to do the same. ;)

As far as your characters go, I find them quite interesting and funny. I like their reactions and everything too. You did a great job with characterization and I can totally feel like they're real people. Except for Edward, he's still a bit weird to me. I think you were trying to make him into quite the gentlemen but in some parts it didn't work out too well - such as the door holding part that Skins and Tanya were talking about earlier. Anyway, it's not much really.

I really like this plot too, have I mentioned that before? I don't think so. Anyway, I remember watching the movie Freaky Friday with that one girl whose name I always forget...oh, Lindsey Lohan. But yeah, in the movie the mother and daughter switch bodies after they eat at some Chinese restaurant or something and I thought it was pretty funny and interesting. I'm guessing your novel will be something similar and that your two best friends will get over there little problem and I'd like to see how it all plays out as well. ^^

Anyway, that's all for my review really. I don't have much else to say...
So yeah, if you have any further questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them. ^^

All the best,
-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory