z

Young Writers Society

Scavenger, Chapter One: Consequences of a Dumpster

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:37 pm
Button says...

The world had gone from gold to grey in the matter of a couple of years. They’d tried to stop it, of course, before the government was so torn apart; most of the damage didn’t happen until the last bits of the Great Disaster, decades later. The governments banded together in order to fix the horror descending the world, but their attempts to patch the hole in the sky had gone terribly awry. The chemicals they'd used were simply rained down over the already barren land, after which, all the leading scientists were replaced with younger, bolder thinkers who weren’t so prone to revisiting old ideas. That method had been tried years ago, and had failed as miserably as it had in this instance.

The acid rains had created a whole new slew of problems, mostly in Russia, where the hole was first torn. The few lands still fertile enough to grow some semblance of genuine produce promptly died, and all attempts at growing food were moved inside to experimental facilities, in which exotic looking fruits were raised on chemicals and plastic. Crime bosses now abandoned their powders and weapons that have become so commonplace, and traded in fresh food and organized raids against chemical greenhouse facilities. Riots were carried through the streets of world capitals with the people who couldn’t afford black market prices and lacked the skills to steal. The White House tumbled in a blanket of red and shouting men who traded picketing signs for torches and gasoline. National monuments fell across the globe like long grasses in the summer. Society collapsed, and yet: there were survivors. I was one of them.

-----

The dog bared its teeth, long and sharp, and, it looked, still encrusted with a bit of last night’s dinner. A snarl escaped through its clenched black lips. I held my knife close against my body, still in my sleeve, not yet sure if I had to use it. Underneath the protection of my light flak jacket, my arm cramped.

Shifting my weight, I just barely moved closer to the alley wall; the dog's bright eyes followed me as it mirrored my movements and drew closer. I flipped up my knife and allowed a sharp shaft of light to reflect off of it into its face, which suddenly lost its mean gleam. It looked at the long knife, and back at my collected face. It gave another indecisive whimper, for a moment sounding like the dogs of the old world, and then ducked its head and ran out of the alleyway. I sighed in relief; I hated having to spill blood, especially this early in the morning.
I went back to the dumpster further down the alleyway, where I had originally been going before stumbling upon the dog. I occasionally was able to find supplies stashed away in back alleys. Some people still avoided places like this, holding onto their old values and habits. I had no such inhibitions. Survival was survival, and supplies were supplies.

Preparing for my search, I placed my knife back into its sheathe. Then, taking one last, long breath, I pushed past the stench, rolled up my sleeves, and began. It was probably about twenty minutes before I found a closed trashbag that carried any potential. It was dark blue, and barely differed from the regular black bags: just distinctive enough for someone to use if they were to try finding it again. It was a trick all experienced survivalists used now, and they were the only ones worth searching. I opened it to find a small blade and some shirts. I almost missed the strap that I could tie my knife onto my leg with, but once I did, I couldn’t have been happier. I even felt my face crack as I grinned, unused muscles rusty as I stretched in an unfamiliar manner. My other one had been snapped in a chase the previous week, and the third knife attached to my arms was awkward. It was perfect.

I mumbled to myself, “Score!” and gathered it all up into my pack, slinging it onto my shoulder right before something hit me in the head and brought me to my knees.

I snapped my head up to see a furious man with a wooden plank. He threw down the plank and grabbed at a sheath on his belt. I jumped to my feet, dropped my pack, and slipped my arm into my left sleeve, tugging free a knife. We both crouched, knives held at an angle. We bared our teeth at one another, and I heard a low growl from between his clenched lips: “What the fuck you think you doin’, huh lady? Fuckin’ scavenger, feeding off us all, trying to take what’s mine...”
Well that explained it. Shit.
Last edited by Button on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:18 pm
322sivart says...

You and I have the same writing style!
I love the opening two paragraphs, and the ending hook of that section is excellent.
Society collapsed, and yet: there were survivors. I was one of them.

There's really not anything I can critique you on, except for some reason I didn't like the sentence below.
I sighed in relief; my stomach wasn’t ready for more bloodshed that day.

Maybe if you took the "that day" part out from the sentence it would feel less cliche.
Otherwise, its excellent. Keep going, it's a great idea!
Need reviews?
I'd be happy to give them.
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic76104.html

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:29 pm
Lava says...

Sephy!

It's refreshing to read prose from you, after reading so many of your poetry. And I like this. There's mild edginess and it's got good potential. So, yes, go for it.

You have a good start.
That method had been tried by the UN many years ago, and had failed as miserably as it had in this instance.
But this seems unnecessary. I don't mean stick to bare-essential description, but I don't see what the UN is doing here. Or are you trying to imply that there's no more UN in the timeline you have here? But I'm not sure how much that will help your plot.
This hole you're mentioning is intriguing. I'm not sure what it means. Is it to do with the ozone?
In my duck I slipped out another knife, a longer bowie that was too long for my forearm.
Maybe this is me being nitpicky, but 'In my duck,' is an odd way of phrasing it. >.>

So, on the whole, I like the scene you're building and the MC. And about the MC, my head keeps thinking it's a girl. I'm not sure if that's what you want. The descriptions are pretty good, and if you're continuing it, be prepared to show us more things and making the reader feel what the MC does.
I've seen quite a few books that deal with an apocalyptic world/survivors and I hope this doesn't become boring/cliched. Your MC shouldn't be all about survival. As a reader, I'd want something more than an MC using her survival instincts in a world. And here, I think your idea of a bioshock would be interesting.

Hope to have helped. Feel free to PM with any questions. ^^
~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:06 pm
writeitalldown says...

Amazing..second chapter, please.
"You can't find another me, but I can find a million yous."

"My shadow followed when you walked away and ever since that day my life has never been the same"

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:22 pm
Sins says...

Coral! :)

I'm here to review this, believe it or not. I'm glad you've asked me to review this because hopefully, I'll actually be able to give you a decent review. Whenever I try to review a poem of yours, I just fail completely. You're too good. Gosh. With any luck, I'll actually be of use when I review this.

This is kind of hard to review because it does seem to be a very rough draft. Like you said, you wrote some of it ages ago, some of it the morning you posted it and even some of it on your phone, so I can't help but think it's a rough draft. Because of that, I don't really want to be too picky because some of the things I might come up with are things that you'd fix anyway when it comes to editing. Nonetheless, I'll probably mention those things anyway... I'm blabbering now. Sorry.

Okay, overall, I think this could be seriously cool, Coral. I have a love for movies and books that are all disasterish and end of the worldish, so this is right up my street. With the help of your awesome poetry skills, you manage to use wonderfully varied vocabulary that creates some lovely images in my head. That's definitely your strong point. Your writing sounds mature, but it doesn't at all feel like you're trying to sound mature... if that makes sense. I often see pieces here on YWS that are filled with endless words and heavy descriptions, but it's obvious that the writer's just thrown them in to sound mature. The maturity in your writing, on the other hand, is completely natural.

Considering this is a review, I should give you some critiques. Okay, this first critique is more of a warning/suggestion really. Although the way you wrote it was good, this idea is very overused. Before you crawl into the corner and start crying to yourself, it's not that bad, honest. Just because a story isn't the most original in the world, it doesn't mean it can't be good. Not at all. All that you have to remember is that when you're using an idea that can be classed as cliché, you have to do what you can to put your own twist on it. Thankfully, you have quite a unique writing style, so that aspect will help you out lots. Basically, I'm just warning you to be careful about that.

As for an actual critique, the main thing that jumped out to me was that although the aspects such as descriptions were good, something that I didn't see much of here were emotions. I'm not sure how much detail I should go into about this because you never know, you might be doing that on purpose. I know that some writers like giving that distant feel to their stories. Personally, I'm not overly keen on that kind of style. Even if a writer is going for that sort of atmosphere, it doesn't mean that emotions should be non-existent.

Okay, so your MC is one of the remaining survivors. Jesus, that must come with a lot of emotion. ;) This is where the fact that this is a rough draft causes some problems. We know basically nothing about the MC right now. We can't even be sure if it's a guy or a girl. We don't know if they have family, we don't know if they've lost anyone during the mass of people dying thing, we don't know where they live, how old they are or what they're doing exactly. Obviously, because this is a rough draft, I don't expect to know all of this yet. I don't expect you to tell us the MC's life story either though.

I'm going a bit off track now... I'm supposed to be talking about emotions.

Anyway! How does your MC feel? I mean, the guy/girl has been knocked over the head with some wooden plank. That's gotta do something to not only the physical side of things, but the emotional side too. I mean, do they feel dazed for a bit? (It's weird using they because I keep thinking I'm talking about more than one person, not just the MC...) How do they feel about the situation as whole? Are they bitter about the way humanity has collapsed? Maybe they're happy that it's just them now? I got some senses of emotions here and there, but the piece as a whole did feel a bit lacking.

When it comes to grammar, phrasing and such, you seem to be doing a good job overall. You clearly have a great grasp of where commas should be, where periods should be e.t.c. Your writing as a whole flows very well too, and from what I've read so far, your phrasing seems fine. You obviously did have a few slip up, for example:

I decided to let him make the first move; I was always loathe to give up the advantage of responding, rather than opening up myself to attack.

That was one of my favourites. :P There were a few sentences like this around the piece, but they're pretty easy things to notice. When you read over it, you should be able to spot them easily. Besides, I didn't notice that many of them. Most of them were typos too, so you'll be fine.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

Reviews: 4
Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:05 am
View Likes
KristenShea says...

"The world had gone from gold to grey in the matter of a couple of years." - Wonderful hook! Got my attention! =)

Overall, I liked this. "End of the world" and "apocalyptic" themes are more seen these days (esp. with 2012 on the horizon and the hub bub over than), and quite frankly I really like it. It's interesting, opens up the imagination, and gives people a sense of urgency.

So, on to your writing: I really like your style. You had great hooks, great cliff hangers, and great descriptions. But I'd like more internal thought, more description in the fighting scene, and maybe more length on that as well. People are visualizing this in their head: so visualize it in yours, too. and write what you see! =)

Overall, I loved it! Keep writing, this is wonderful!!!
http://www.ellecamino.blogspot.com << this is my blog =)

If the person you are talking to doesn't
appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a
small piece of fluff in his ear.” -Winnie the Pooh

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 pm
charcoalspacewolfman says...

You comma usage threw me off a couple times and the use of that colon in "and yet: some survived" doesn't quite sound right. In some ways, it sounds like something off a poster, so that's OK, but the colon bothers me. That whole area read like a preview, which was cool. The fight scene was pretty well-done (I love knives) and the whole thing kinda shows the desperation. Kind of ironic that in the beginning it says that the character survived the collapse of society and yet he's lost his conscience, essentially. I'm interested to see if he gets if back sometime. Good start; you should continue, and, if you decide you don't like it, you at least have the experience under your belt, so you can look back and fix mistakes.
HMS Tragedy?! We should-we should have known!!!

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:11 am
Ranger Hawk says...

Hey there, Nathanfanbuddy! Here as requested. :) (Just thought I'd mention, this makes my 300th review!)

Okay, so first off I think you've got a really good piece here; your writing style is smooth, consistent, and just overall very easy to read, while not feeling ridiculously simplified or young. Skins already mentioned something I was going to say, so I'll keep it brief -- just be watchful that this doesn't get too clichéd. I know it's early in the story to be saying this, but I can see that it has the potential to head that way, though I doubt it will.

Your first two paragraphs are a little slow and are bogged down with a bunch of back story and history; if there's any way you could introduce the character first, maybe give a version of the one-liner that she (or he; not sure which your MC is yet) says at the very end of the second paragraph, about them being the last survivor, and then proceeding with the account of the acid rain and such. You just don't want to lose any readers because they felt like it was a bad history lesson from the get-go.

One thing I noticed that kept recurring was your use of pronouns -- I forget what it's called, but I believe it's something like "pronoun ownership", where when you refer to a "he/she/it," it's vague and the reader just doesn't know who you're talking about. I know I didn't do a very good job explaining that, so I'll point out one of the parts I saw:
I shifted my weight, enough to move closer to the alley wall; the dog's bright eyes followed me as it mirrored my movements and drew closer. I flipped up my knife and allowed a sharp shaft of light to reflect off of it into its face, which suddenly lost its mean gleam.

As you can see, the red words are referring to the knife, while the blue words are referring to the dog. See how, in the same sentence, you use a vague "it" to refer first to the knife, then the dog? It gets confusing if the reader thinks any "it"s are about the dog and then you suddenly change it to be about the knife. I really hope that makes sense; I'm bad at explaining rules, sorry.

Anyway, the bottom line is I noticed some instances where you used a vague pronoun and I wasn't quite sure exactly who or what you were talking about, so I'd suggest just keeping an eye out for that.

Okay, so that was really the only thing I had to comment on. The rest of it is excellent. :) Hope I helped! *salutes*
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:00 am
Chimaera070612 says...

This smells like victory. I enjoyed the quick introduction to this post apocalyptic world - it seems interesting and I'm sure to follow up on it. To give some critique, the narrator's person isn't specified - no gender, name, traits, just the word scavenger. Yet again, that's probably there for effect. A description of the world around the narrator would also be very welcome to draw some scenery.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:21 am
Shearwater says...

Hola me friend.
I'm here to review, as requested. I'm glad you called to me, I was getting a little bored honestly. xD
Anyway, back to the review. I'm trying this new thing where I try not to blabber too much. lololol.

H'okay, as usual, your piece is quite good and your writing style is wonderful and fresh. I like it very much. There are still a few things that I'd like to point out though. ^.^

First of all, your introduction. I don't know why but I find myself talking a lot about introductions because it's something that I personally think is quite important. As far as your introduction goes, it's pretty okay but there are still a thing or two that I noticed which could be tweaked or changed.

To start off with, it seemed like your introduction was a bit wordy and in my mind, was leaning slightly towards the info-dumpish side. I like how you're trying to give us the main plot of the story at the start while still making it vague and mysterious but I thought you were trying to push a lot of information into it and I think someone mentioned this but it was slightly clogged/draggy. I would suggest giving some sort of introduction with your character or even keeping the beginning that you have but add something more interesting to it. Something that captures the attention. I'd try to give you an example but I don't want to write anything that might not sound right to the story. :/ lol

Another thing I noticed, not with the introduction but with the piece overall was that you used quite a bit of commas, no? Anyway, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - unless it's like twice in every sentence and doesn't help the flow of the story but I just noticed them but ignoring that, the story flows just wonderfully. I actually love how you worded a few things in this, it's refreshing as I mentioned earlier. It's fun to read. :)

So, I'm trying not to sound very repetitive but I dunno. You have a lot of nice reviews which have pointed out the main things that you could change in this so I won't go much further into this, if you don't mine. lol
I really liked reading this and I think you should continue, the story itself sounds promising and with your writing style and brain, I'm sure you'll come up with something creative and fun.

On the side note, writing all that poetry gives your fiction writing and extra 'push' concerning description and all. Also, I will back up what Skins (Freak) mentioned about the emotions - trying adding a little bit in the first chapter but don't drown it with emotion. Keep it vague and use body language more than the words.

Alright, that's a wrap. If you have any questions, just shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to explain anything further or help in whatever way. ^___^

All the best,
-Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:23 pm
Kafkaescence says...

Bleh. Thanks for requesting a review. I was getting pretty bored. Actually was doing the sudoku, believe it or not. Who does the sudoku? I guess I do. Or I try to. Damn you, Warthogdemon, with your stupid high score. Anyway.

Persephoneia wrote:The world had gone from gold to grey in the matter of How about just "within?" a couple of years. They’d tried to stop it, of course, before the government was so torn apart became corrupt; most of the damage didn’t happen until the last bits of the Great Disaster, decades later. The governments banded together in order to fix "In order to" makes me think that they actually succeeded. the horror descending upon the world, but their attempts to patch up the hole in the sky had gone terribly awry. The chemicals they'd used were simply rained down over the already barren land, after which all the leading scientists were replaced with younger, bolder thinkers who weren’t so prone to revisiting old ideas Long sentence. Break this down a little. . That method had been tried years ago, and had failed as miserably as it had in this instance. What instance? I thought you were talking about the younger scientists?

The acid rains had created a whole new slew of problems, mostly in Russia, where the hole was first torn. The few lands still fertile enough to grow some semblance of genuine produce promptly diedTons of adjectives and adverbs in this sentence. A bit disorienting. , and all attempts at growing food were moved inside to experimental facilities, in which exotic looking fruits were raised on chemicals and plastic. Crime bosseslordsnow abandoned their powders and weapons that had become so commonplace, and traded in fresh food and organized raids against chemical greenhouse facilities. Riots were carried through the streets of world capitals with the people who couldn’t afford black market prices and lacked the skills to steal. The White House tumbled in a blanket of red and shouting men who traded picketing signs for torches and gasoline. National monuments fell across the globe like long grasses in the summer. Society collapsed, and yet: there were survivors. I was one of them.

-----

The dog bared its teeth, long and sharp These adjectives are being used in the place of adverbs, and it sounds somewhat strange. , and, it looked, apparently still encrusted with a bit of last night’s dinner This sentence needs reworkage. You describe the teeth in the place where the description of the action of baring its teeth would be expected. . A snarl escaped throughits clenched black lips. I held my knife close against my body, still in my sleeve, not yet sure if I had to use it. Underneath the protection of my light flak jacket, my arm cramped.

Shifting my weight, I just barely moved closer to the alley wall; the dog's bright eyes followed me as it mirrored my movements and drew closer. I flipped up my knife and allowed a sharp shaft of light to reflect off ofit into its the dog'sface, which suddenly lost its mean gleam. It looked at the long knife, and back at my collected face. It gave another indecisive whimper Pretty sure dogs can't recognize knives. , for a moment sounding like the dogs of the old world, and then ducked its head and ran out of the alleyway. I sighed in relief. I hated having to spill blood, especially this early in the morning.
I went back to the dumpster further down the alleyway, where I had originally been going before stumbling upon the dog. I occasionally was was occasionally able to find supplies stashed away in back alleys. Some people still avoided places like this, holding onto their old values and habits. I had no such inhibitions. Survival was survival, and supplies were supplies.

Preparing for my search, I placed my knife back into its sheathe. Then, taking one last, long breath, I pushed past the stench, rolled up my sleeves, and began. It was probably about twenty minutes before I found a closed trashbag that carried any potential. It was dark blue, and barely differed from the regular black bags: just distinctive enough for someone to use if they were to try finding it again. It was a trick all experienced survivalists used now, and they were the only ones worth searching. I opened it to find a small blade and some shirts. I almost missed the strap that I could tie my knife onto my leg with, but once I did, I couldn’t have been happier. I even felt my face crack as I grinned, unused muscles rusty as I stretched in an unfamiliar manner. My other one had been snapped in a chase the previous week, and the third knife attached to my arms was awkward. It was perfect.

I mumbled to myself, “Score!” and gathered it all up into my pack, slinging it onto my shoulder right before something hit me in the back of my head and brought me I fell to my knees.

I snapped my head up to see a furious man with a wooden plank standing behind me. He threw down the plank and grabbed at a sheath on his belt. I jumped to my feet, dropped my pack, and slipped my arm into my left sleeve, tugging free a knife. We both crouched, knives held at an angle. We bared our teeth at one another, and I heard a low growl from between his clenched lips: “What the fuck you think you doin’, huh lady? Fuckin’ scavenger, feeding off us all, trying to take what’s mine...”
Well that explained it. Shit.

Cool. Hope this was helpful.

-Kafka
#TNT

WRFF

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus