she said, and we laughed because we're poets,
drunk on a success that seals up the lips:
stoppered together, drinking of life's lees,
a bottle brim-full of cliche and pinot.

I'm no Girardot, but as I wait,
trenchcoat-clad and dusted with the clouds,
the mind makes Arcs for us to shelter in:
a man can sit on old stone steps a while,
and shape a Notre Dame from every brick.

Our time-starved sun reflects your haloed eyes,
darkling with the angel-painted mist;
I take you in your lover's arms and say,
"Ce n'est pas Paris, mon amour de dame":
there's no telling where rainclouds will stop.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

688 Reviews

Reviews: 688
Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:27 am
xanthan gum says...

why do you post poetry if you know that all your going to get is praise? :D
it's not fair. i'd pout, but i'd have nothing to complain about, really.
so i won't praise you. i'll be a stubborn child and just...read the poem...over and over and over again.
Carpe Diem.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:05 am
DarkerSarah says...

Very nice. Has a Pablo Neruda feel to it, only...English...and French. :D My favorite line?

"we laughed because we're poets"

Love it and I don't know why.

You should be proud. I don't write good poetry and I don't critique it because I don't know how to write it, and so I only post reviews of poems I like. So...congrats and good work.

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:10 am
Elizabeth says...

xanthan gum wrote:why do you post poetry if you know that all your going to get is praise? :D
it's not fair. i'd pout, but i'd have nothing to complain about, really.
so i won't praise you. i'll be a stubborn child and just...read the poem...over and over and over again.

*waits for an answer* :P
I liked this, it was pretty, very nice job bob.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:40 am
antigone says...

Yeah, that's just... beautiful.
Does the french line mean something like "this is not Paris, my love"? Heh, I don't speak french. But it's very pretty.

I liked the middle stanza best.
the mind makes Arcs for us to shelter in:
a man can sit on old stone steps a while,
and shape a Notre Dame from every brick.

Amazing. The old man image is wonderful. And 'arcs' is a loverly word.

But the whole thing, was great.
Siempre, siempre: jardin de mi agonia,
tu cuerpo fugitivo para siempre,
la sangre de tus venas en mi boca,
tu boca ya sin luz para mi muerte.

-From 'Del amor imprevisto', Federico Garcia Lorca

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:14 am
Crysi says...

I read this the first time because I love French.
I read this the second time because I love this poem.

Seriously, this is so wonderful... It brought tears to my eyes because it made me miss my boyfriend so much, lol. Your imagery is excellent, as is your choice of words. Excellent. :D
Love and Light

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:35 am
sabradan says...

Bob,
this piece is excellent. Amazing, even. The way you write your poems leaves me breathless each time I read something you write, I'm jealous. Im wish I could find SOMETHING. ANYTHING. to actually critique on your part, so as to not feel as if Im just reading and saying "good job" and whatnot, but honestly, I cannot find fault with this poem. Excellent job. Again, I am jealous.

Good job yet again,
Dan
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:28 pm
Firestarter says...

Please have more good days - they seem to make you more inspired.

For me it was the pre-modifying hypenated adjectives that did it for me - "trenchcoat-clad", "time-starved", "angel-painted." Wonderful.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:58 pm
backgroundbob says...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys: something Incandescence said, about finding and dealing with your poetic voice kind of hit a nerve, a little while back - I guess this was something like my attempt at figuring out what I liked about and what I'd change about my own writing voice. I'll decide later how much I like the results :)

Anyway, thanks again.
The Oneday Cafe

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:08 pm
Areida says...

My turn to echo all the praise.

This poem was great... Like I just said in a crit of something else a few minutes ago, I love it when poetry flows effortlessly, when the images come to life and you can't help but see exactly what's happening. It was just... wow... I loved "time-starved sun" and "bottle brim-full of cliche and pinot."

Great work. :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:11 pm
PsyLynx says...

simply beautiful

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:32 am
Cicero says...

Well, this a few months behind the rest of the praise, but I thought I'd share a few thoughts:
'Meet me under the clock tower at one'
she said, and we laughed because we're poets,
drunk on a success that seals up the lips:
stoppered together, drinking of life's lees,
a bottle brim-full of cliche and pinot.

I find the last two lines of this stanza slightly confusing. If your lips are sealed, how are you "drinking life's lees"? Perhaps a few clarifying verbs? Here's my suggestion: "stoppered together, after drinking life's lees,/ from a bottle brim-full of cliche and pinot."

In the second stanza, do you mean Arcs as in L'Arc de Triomphe?

"Ce n'est pas Paris, mon amour de dame"

Um... I'm not sure about this French. "Dame" doesn't mean woman, it means injury. Is this what you meant?

Overall, a beautiful poem. Thanks for unburying it for me to crit. I greatly enjoyed it. Thank you.
Happy revising!
"Artichoke -
O heart weighed down by so many wings."
- Joseph Hutchison

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:28 pm
backgroundbob says...

I find the last two lines of this stanza slightly confusing. If your lips are sealed, how are you "drinking life's lees"? Perhaps a few clarifying verbs? Here's my suggestion: "stoppered together, after drinking life's lees,/ from a bottle brim-full of cliche and pinot."
Well, that's kind of the point, really - the shared imagery of kissing and drinking wine; the two share a lot in common, really :) If I just used one image at a time, dot-dot-dot, then it would be pretty boring. Poetry is all about making those connections. I'm not drinking a bottle of wine and then kissing someone, I'm identifying the act of kissing somebody I love with drinking that heady, intoxicating wine, and so with getting the very most out of life - when Ulysses in Tennyson's famous poem says "I will drink/
Life to the lees", he doesn't mean literally drinking a bottle of wine, but getting the absolute most out of life.

As for Arcs, yes; when you think 'French' and 'Arc', I hope that's what comes to mind.

The French, ah... it has always amused me how internet translation tools screw up the grammar. "Dame" literally translated means "lady", in the same way that 'Notre Dame de Paris' (often know as just 'Notre Dame), the Cathedral in Paris does not mean "our injury", but "our lady". For some obscure reason, certain internet sites like to translate it has "injury."
Anyway: the point is that a literal translation is "it's not Paris, my lady of love", but the fact that the end could translate as "my love of injury" has not escaped me: I kind of like the added dimension it adds :) love as self-harm is a concept I've had brewing in my head for a long time.

So, yeah, hope that answers a few for you; thanks for your input.
The Oneday Cafe

171 Reviews

Reviews: 171
Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:01 pm
lexy says...

*hyperventilating* This is a flipping good piece of work.... if I could write like this... well, you know!
Ok my favourite bit was when you said "because we're poets" it just struck a cord with me and it really gripped my attention.
I am amazed, I actually have no problems with any of it :D I'm so happy I decided to read it in my lunch break... it made me start thinking.... of the one I love actually :oops:
love it!!!!!!!

Gros bisious

lanara xxxxxxxx
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter O'Toole

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:23 pm
Dream Deep says...

Bob, I'm dead impressed. This was simply... gorgeous. Beautiful. Amazing? Touching.

Be pround, sir, be very proud of this. ^_~ I have no bad remarks or even constructive criticism for you. My favorite stanza is the first, but the entire piece is just... wow...

;)

~Dreamy

Well, if I can't get this chapter to work....at least I will have exercised my fingers.
— Kaia