z

Young Writers Society

Voices

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:59 pm
Button says...

Darker than my usual- it was a challenge from a friend to change my tone to something dark for a change. Thanks go to both Nightshade and retrodisco666 for the awesome help! :D

He was a mutterer:
he couldn’t help but answer the voices snatching at him
for attention, stalking him like
cancerous ghosts and echoing about his head.
They were intruders from other lives,
other people, other demons
that shrieked and pulsed and throbbed
and battered his brain from the inside-out.
They declared him a monster, a saint, a man who’d
just as much reason to die as he did to live.
It was difficult to keep hold of the silence when there was so much screaming.

Insanity was his vague baneful something that
lurked behind a hidden doorway,
whose existence he would not acknowledge--
it was where the screams came from,
where they slipped out from under the little gap
in between the wood ad the floor,
and it was terrifying.
His body would twitch and thrash, trying to scatter
the sounds from his shoulders, where they nestled in the crook of his neck,
and smiled at his tears. They held on laughing, little claws
tearing at his skin.

He walked and walked until his feet bled into
the cobblestone patterns, pacing and tracing jagged lines:
chaotic memories of terrors and indecision
of whether he should embrace
all that he was, or kill the parts he wasn’t.

It was years and gallons of seeping blood before
his eyes finally flicked over to the old brass handle,
but once he did, it snicked open and his sight
flared into pain, and his skin became gasoline for the fight about him.
An exorcism burnt through his heaving lungs, rushing up his throat
in a raw embrace with reality, and he choked on the blaze
as he exhaled all that broke his mind in a stilted scream,
as he tried to expel

all the plagues built up inside his broken immune system.
He realized that maybe there was no whole to grab ahold of,
no anchor in his soul that he’d though would
withstand this storm, and that maybe
tearing himself away from what hurt him wasn’t such a good idea,
not when it was himself doing the damage.

His voice scratched its way from his body,
thrashing against his throat as it finally fled and vacated his body,
and the silence that was left terrified him more than any of the
howls in his head.
He looked down to see the lucid parts of him lying discarded on the floor.

He gathered his burnt flesh, and he gathered his scream in
tear-stained arms, and fed on his terror,
reuniting himself with himself before embracing
the fury and the fight and the fire,
and finding a new home behind the splintered door, where he would
drown in voices that weren’t his own.

Topic:
Spoiler! :
schizophrenia

Really not sure about the end. Or the entire piece, actually. CC would be not only welcomed, but adored.
Thanks for reading!
-Coral-

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:02 pm
View Likes
retrodisco666 says...

Hey,

The improvements work in my opinion. I love it, and you should use your darker side more often, as you use it well.

Excellent work, as always.

~Retro Disco666
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:08 am
Warrior Princess says...

Persy my love, you've done it again! This is pretty different from what we're used to seeing from you, but certainly no less brilliant. Clearly you can handle darker (in fact, much darker) subjects very well. I actually found this poem quite frightening.

declaring him a monster, a saint, a lukewarm man without a
cause or a reason for living;

Really like these lines.

who’s existence he would not acknowledge--

I think that should be "whose." ;)

where they slipped out from under that little gap
in between the wood and the floor,

This reminded me of "The Tell-Tale Heart," by Edgar Allan Poe. Creepy.

the sounds from his shoulders, where they nestled
in the crook of his neck and smiled at his tears.

Also quite creepy!

behind the splintered door, where he would

Love these last two lines.

What the heck. I love the whole thing!
You must be swift as the coursing river,
With all the force of a great typhoon,
With all the strength of a raging fire,
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:26 am
Lumi says...

Evenin’, Persy. Let’s dive in.

I feel so disabled and useless with this poem because in reality, it’s quite wonderful. The major, recurring issue I had with this piece, however, is that your sentences tended to carry on to kingdom come again and again. In fact, towards the end, you have a sentence that spans ten lines. That is either ridiculous or impressive, but it’s somewhere between the two. So, since I loved this and have given you something decent to consider already, I want to give you a challenge with your form.

See, a poem that’s outside of your stylized comfort zone ends up wonderful, but you maintain your typical format. Your line breaks are predictable and your flow is damaged by it. Granted, your flow is also damaged by your anaconda sentences and such. To bring this into reality, try reading stanzas three and four out loud, breathing naturally.

As far as word choice, you’re close to being golden. There are a few gems that could be polished up, especially for someone with a masterful vocabulary like yours. Such gems include ‘stank’, ‘followed’, and ‘throw’. Coincidentally, all of these are in stanza one. You seem to pick up your eloquence around the last line of stanza two.

I’m not a really big fan of the quick turnaround between your saying “walk, pace, trace” and your repetition of it soon after.

Other than all those things, you have a sparkling, dark diamond here. Keep up your writing because you’re wonderful. You know you are.

PM me/ wall post me if you have any questions or comments.

-Ty
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:52 am
Kafkaescence says...

Persephoneia wrote:he was a mutterer:
for attention, stalking him like
cancerous ghosts and echoing across his head. This is beautiful.
they were intruders from other lives,
that screamed and pulsed and throbbed
and bashed his brain in from the inside-out, I don't know..."bashing" and "brains" are two pretty cliched words when used together.
declaring him a monster, a saint, a lukewarm man without a
cause or a reason for living;
it was difficult to keep hold of the silence when there was so much screaming. Ugh. The word "screaming" again. So generic. How about "moaning" or "wailing," or perhaps even "whispering?"

insanity was his baneful Here you are again with your substitution of an adjective for a noun....Really, I think "bane" would be just fine here. "Baneful" makes me think that the next word is going to be a noun, which it isn't.
something that lurked behind a hidden doorway
who’s existence he would not acknowledge-- "Who's" should be "whose."
and it was terrifying.
his body would twitch, trying to scatter Ooo...creepy!

he walked and walked until his feet bled into the
cobblestone patterns, pacing and tracing lines: Picturesque.
memories of indecision whether he should embrace
all that he was, or kill the parts he wasn’t. Ugh. Again. "Kill" is so cliched. Say something unique: "throttle," "suffocate," "delete," "annihilate," "smother," "electrocute..." the list goes on almost infinitely.

it was years and gallons of seeping blood before
his eyes flicked over to the the old brass handle,
but once he did, all Hell broke loose,
and his skin became gasoline for the fire about him. Nice metaphor.
an exorcism burnt through his lungs, rushing up his
throat in a raw embrace with reality once again,
and he choked on blood as he "Blood" again? Please. How about "his viscera," "the marrow," "cruor," or "gore?"
exhaled all that broke his mind in a stilted scream, as he tried to expel

he realized that maybe there was no whole to grab ahold of, Your use of "whole" confuses me greatly. Did you mean "hole?" Also, "ahold" sounds too much like "whole."
no anchor in his soul that he’d thought would Change "he'd" to simply "he."
withstand this storm, and that maybe tearing himself away from
what hurt him wasn’t such a good idea,

he gathered his burnt flesh and he gathered his screams in tearstained arms,
and he fed on his terror, reuniting himself with himself This second "himself" may be better if it was "his soul."
before embracing the fury and the fight, embracing his new home Though repeated verbs can sometimes be strengthening, this is not. Change one of the "embracing"'s.
behind the splintered door, where he would
drown in voices that weren’t his own. Oh...:(...sorry, but this really is not the best ending.
#TNT

WRFF

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:12 am
fruityfortissimo says...

Beautiful. Sick. So much detail it is amazing how in depth on the topic this poem is. No changes needed. Keep it up please.
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
Harvey Fierstein
"At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet."
Plato

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:08 am
Nightshade says...

Really great job, Persy. I can't believe how much you improved this from the piece you showed me. I have a couple suggestions, but they are all nitpicks.

cancerous ghosts and echoing across his head.

"Across" seems a little off here. It is a very external word, but here the meaning is very clearly meant to be internal.

and battered his brain in from the inside-out,

This is getting really picky, but I don't like having the two "in"s so close together. It does something weird to the feel of the line.

Great

and it was terrifying.

This line seems unnecessary, and it's far too blunt. I like the section better with it removed entirely.

Also great.

but once he did, all Hell broke loose,

I really really don't like the cliche here. It's so glaring next to all of the wonderful, original imagery. You can figure out a better way to communicate the same idea.

no anchor in his soul that he’d thought would
withstand this storm, and that maybe tearing himself away from
what hurt him wasn’t such a good idea,

This is absolutely phenomenal. By putting this in you gave the poem some meat, some meaning for the reader to grab onto. This section is beautifully executed, and that spark of meaning is what separates your good poems from your incredible ones.

My only other criticism is that the sentences can be very long. However, Lumi has gone over that, so I won't linger on it.

Last thing:
Beautifully done. You're one of the hardest workers I've encountered on here, and it shows in your writing. You're improving, lass, keep going.

18 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 18
Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:33 am
TriO says...

Hi Perse!

A very dark poem, and very intricate with details, although I have a few minor issues with the structure. The length of the lines makes it harder to keep a consistent reading rhythm, and in fact, I can't guage any rhythm to this poem. The sheer bulk of each stanza could be an undoing to this poem, as it can repel readers who don't want to read hefty stanzas - considering most use a new stanza to take a moment's breath or otherwise.

In terms of word choice, I am impressed - none/very little repetition and extensive vocabulary, but keeping your words and meanings simple for the reader. Nothing makes a reader feel more foolish than having to look up the definition of poetic uses of a long and unwelcoming word.

Grammar is clean, although you should remember capitals when required (also, I'd like to see a few more periods in this poem too :P).

Sorry I don't have much more to say, but I'd feel rather troll-like if I did a line-line breakdown like a lot of people do, and besides, I'm at Uni as I write this (I should be more attentive to my lectures xD). I like this poem very much, however, I feel you could improve upon the structure quite a bit, perhaps breaking it down into more manageable stanzas, or even lines.
There will come a time you'll see, with no more tears
and love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there
with grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.
~Mumford and Sons

My name is ElderMimmi.

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 pm
Button says...

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys! I really appreciate all your thoughts. :)
I've done a pretty big edit-- added a new stanza and resolved some problems/word selections.

Thanks again!

436 Reviews

Reviews: 436
Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:58 pm
AquaMarine says...

Hey there!

In the first few lines of the poem, I felt like you were being a bit too generous with your words - I'm not going to point out everywhere that it happens, because it's up to you, but I think you need to be a little more sparing with your words. Although sometimes heavy description is nice, poetry always sounds more thought through if you really focus and edit out the unnecessary words that just detract from the flow.

'It was difficult to keep hold of the silence when there was so much screaming' - this line stood out to me completely. I love it.

One thing that I really enjoyed throughout your poem are the final stanza lines, actually. They all have a finality to them, and therefore bring about the end of a stanza nicely, but yet at the same time lead onto the next one in a really lovely way.

I'm not going to lie, this poem has left me feeling rather useless. It was a real joy to read - the word choice alone made it wonderful, but this does show real talent. I just think that you need to reign that talent in slightly and try to make sure that every word you use is necessary and actually adds something to the poem, rather than just filling up space. Despite this I think the length of your lines actually work (have you shortened them since previous reviews?) and the longer ones serve only to add to your effect.

Lovely. Sorry I couldn't be more help. PM me if you ever want another review, and I'll do my best with it.

-Amy.
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want."

-Spock.

Click if you love cookies

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:21 am
thestorygirl says...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! sorry for the text thingy there I couldnt help myself. This is something that I actually have going on inside my had at certain times, no I am not crazy. It was dark and intense and described me very well. Thank god I have family guy. I spotted no mistakes and seriously you do darkness really well. Do darker poems more often. You are better when you are dark. Dark Dinosaurs are much better then light ones. So keep writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I will say a long word and goodbye. antidisastablishmentarianism. Goodbye.
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:39 pm
brokeninpieces says...

I really liked it and agree that you should write with your darker side more often. But of course, I love dark poetry, but you're very good at it and I think you should continute with the darker side of you. The darker side can be the good side. XD
In the end, love always wins.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:44 am
Rydia says...

Hi, sorry for the delay on this! Mmmm, another poem to have a gander at. Let's see... Oh! I like this, quite a lot actually. I think you could have done more with the structure, to reflect the context, but it's pretty ship-shape. Here's the usual line-by-line and then I'll see if I can summarise:

He was a mutterer: [Great first line. Straight in there and builds intrigue, very good.]
for attention, stalking him like [Mmm. A little down-hill. I don't know quite what it is, maybe the language is too plain and a little wordy.]
cancerous ghosts and echoing about his head. [Good imagery.]
They were intruders from other lives,
that shrieked and pulsed and throbbed
and battered his brain from the inside-out.
They declared him a monster, a saint, a man who’d
just as much reason to die as he did to live.
It was difficult to keep hold of the silence when there was so much screaming. [Here you could have done so much more with the structure. This poem would benefit a lot from some clever line drops and general pauses.]

Insanity was his vague baneful something that [Vague? I find it hard to put this image together, what impression did you hope to convey with the word vague? How can insanity, something so big and solid ever be vague?]
lurked behind a hidden doorway,
whose existence he would not acknowledge--
where they slipped out from under the little gap
in between the wood ad the floor,
and it was terrifying. [Some of these lines read like a novel. Sometimes that works for poetry, other times it doesn't. I'd quite like to see some more purple prose from you because, when it's there, it's really good but when it isn't, your imagery gets a little weaker.]
His body would twitch and thrash, trying to scatter
the sounds from his shoulders, where they nestled in the crook of his neck,
and smiled at his tears. They held on laughing, little claws
tearing at his skin.

He walked and walked until his feet bled into
the cobblestone patterns, pacing and tracing jagged lines: [Nice line.]
chaotic memories of terrors and indecision
of whether he should embrace
all that he was, or kill the parts he wasn’t. [I like what you're saying in this line but the line itself is a little weak, there isn't enough emphasis or rhythm. Typing 'was not' would in this case give you more emphasis but maybe re-word in general as it's a little awkward. I think it's 'the parts' that does it.]

It was years and gallons of seeping blood before
his eyes finally flicked over to the old brass handle,
but once he did, it snicked open and his sight [Snicked doesn't sound right.]
flared into pain, and his skin became gasoline for the fight about him. [Maybe, 'became gasoline for the fire' would read more smoothly or even 'and his skin was gasoline; burning up from within.']
An exorcism burnt through his heaving lungs, rushing up his throat
in a raw embrace with reality, and he choked on the blaze
as he exhaled all that broke his mind in a stilted scream,
as he tried to expel

He realized that maybe there was no whole to grab ahold of,
no anchor in his soul that he’d thought would
withstand this storm, and that maybe
tearing himself away from what hurt him wasn’t such a good idea,
not when it was himself doing the damage. [This is too much like you're telling the story. It's too exact and sequential when it would work so much better if it was a little broken, a little more atmospheric rather than informative.]

His voice scratched its way from his body,
thrashing against his throat as it finally fled and vacated his body, [Too much repetition of body.]
and the silence that was left terrified him more than any of the
howls in his head.
He looked down to see the lucid parts of him lying discarded on the floor.

He gathered his burnt flesh, and he gathered his scream in
tear-stained arms, and fed on his terror,
reuniting himself with himself before embracing
the fury and the fight and the fire,
and finding a new home behind the splintered door, where he would

I don't really like the last stanza, it's lacking in drama and there isn't a dark enough atmosphere for what's going on. It's a little too stale and matter of fact, partly because almost every word there has been used earlier in the poem. It doesn't offer a new image or anything particularly satisfying with which to leave the reader.

Now then. What I'd really like to see you do is shake it up a bit. This poem is essentially about insanity and multiple personalities, yet its structure is very uniform and routine. I'd like to see you break it down in places and build something more challenging. Something with a changing rhythm and something that's going to build the right atmosphere to go with that lovely imagery you have!

Hopefully this will have given you a few ideas :) And feel free to drop me a PM if you've got any question or do some editing. I'll see you around!

Heather xxx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings.
— Atticus