z

Young Writers Society

One Country, Two Worlds [Part 1]

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:16 pm
LittlePrincess says...

Please comment! This is for school and I need edits. Thank you!

Up north the world is gloomy and grey
Hard work in thick air
Black lungs, brown buildings, the work doesn’t end.
Cramped rooms, no money, no clothes, no food.
Industry is booming, the world is changing

Down South, just walking outside makes beads of sweat gather
and roll down pale foreheads.
Acres of cotton stretch to the horizon,
reflect the sun like blankets of snow.
Dark, calloused hands rip and tear from the ground
Pink scars across their bare, black backs.

But they are free, in those tiny rooms
They work and feed and clothe themselves
Slaves of society, under southern sun
In a strict and rigid hierarchy

One country, two worlds
an explosion, a clash
Now cotton fields are covered with sticky red blood
Of brothers fighting brothers
Slaves fighting for their masters
a country ripped apart at the seams

“I’m sick of it, just damn sick of it,” Daddy said, opening the newspaper and sitting back in his chair. My father was a lanky man. His long legs and arms were wrapped with wiry cords of muscle, his forehead dark and wrinkled from years under the sun. Now, his heavy eyebrows were furrowed as he stared at the black and white face of Abraham Lincoln. “You’d think our country would have some sense-”

He was cut off by my mother, “Stop reading that, dear, it only works you up.” Reluctantly, Daddy set down his paper and I averted my gaze to the big french windows. Outside, the sun was melting like butter over endless fields, warm pinks and yellows silhouetted the white cotton. There ain’t nothin’ like a southern sunrise, my papa used to say, there ain’t nothin’ like it.

Already, dark bodies folded over the plants, shimmery with sweat. Daddy says that if Lincoln wins the presidency he’s gonna take away our slaves, snatch ‘em right up. Daddy says Lincoln doesn’t understand property or making a living.
Berta, our housemaid, shuffled by with a pitcher of orange juice, “ ‘Dju like some, Miz Becca?” She asked me. She kept her dark eyes on the paper, on grinning Lincoln.

“Yes,” I told her, watching him, too. Was Daddy right? Could this man really take away everything?

“My Daddy said that if Lincoln gets elected we’re just gonna leave the Union, just up and leave. We ain’t servin’ under that dim-wit. No way,” Patty Morris said haughtily. She sat like a perfect lady which impressed me to no end, her back straight, legs crossed, skirt pressed neatly.

“You can’t leave the Union,” Hannah Jones protested, “We’re attached, it ain’t possible.”

“My Daddy said,” Patty insisted, pouting her lips and turning back to her crocheting. I focused on my stitches. Mama says I need to become a lady so I can find a good, rich, husband. Men want wives who can be proper ladies, not ones who slur their words and get mud on their shoes. I wanted to be a lady, find a good husband and live in a big house. Patty said she was surprised they even let me into a French school which is where everyone learned to be a lady.

Ellen Clifford, a mousy girl with grey hair and eyes and tiny fingers that made her an excellent crocheter, had apparently been thinking about Patty’s words because after a long pause she said, “My Mama says the Union should be our priority, our country is like our family. Sometimes we disagree but we should compromise and stay together.”

There was a short pause and we all looked over to Patty. She let out a scoff of disgust, loud enough that Mrs. Miriam looked up from her book, “If the northerners are family, they’re the kind of family like my Uncle Barry who lost all his money and lives in a shack. When it comes to Northerners, I say we are better off without.”
We were all silent after that, no one dared argue but I knew we were all wondering if she was right, if we really could up and leave the North.

As always with an election, the town was buzzing. We all travelled into town so Mama and Daddy could vote. I loved going into town, especially on days like this when everyone was there. The carriage bounced along the dirt streets, kicking dust up behind us.

I was wearing my finest white dress with an Easter-egg blue sash and hat to match. On my lap Annabelle giggled and cooed in her pink dress, her blond girls pinned neatly to her head. My kid brother, Brendan leaned out the window until Mama yanked him back it. Only my father wasn’t caught up in the excitement. He sat in the corner of the car, biting his lip. My oldest brother, John, tried to carefully imitate his expression. Ever since he turned seventeen, he’s tried to do everything Daddy does, when Daddy’s not there he’s put himself in charge. He says he has no time for fun.

I knew what they were worrying about, they were worrying about Secession, a word that had been thrown around for weeks before the election and whenever I heard it I pictured a big dark storm cloud just by the way everyone said it. Mr. Clifford called it “the Devil of Secession” once when he was over for supper, he said it would be the end of everything we know. My Daddy said the only devil was Abraham Lincoln, he would be the end of everything we knew.

We got to town and Brendan hopped out before we even stopped. My Mama gave me a quarter, “Buy something sweet for you and your brother and sisters,” she told me, “and hold onto Annabelle’s hand!”
Last edited by LittlePrincess on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes."
The Little Prince

Reviews: 0
Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:28 pm
mkgalvin98 says...

WOW!!!! SO GOOD! i hope you get an A+++++++!!!!!

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:09 am
HarpoMarx says...

It's excellent. Though some bits confuse me, I thought it was good. I was just a bit confused on some of the things that you put in there. Like:

I her blond girls pinned neatly to her head.

But i think other than that it was great.

Harpo

34 Reviews

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:12 am
HarpoMarx says...

another thing that confused was the changing of characters early in the piece before the carriage scene. I don't quite understand that, it confused me who was who.

But good work.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:28 pm
emeraldmaria says...

Over all, I think it's a great piece. Wonderfully written. I have a few edits that may or may not be personal preference.

I think the poem was great, but I had no idea what it meant to the story. Was Daddy reading the poem? Was it something completely unrelated? A prologue of sorts? If so, then I'd recommended putting in three stars between that and the next paragraph. "* * *" type of thing.

"There ain’t nothin’ like a southern sunrise, my papa used to say, there ain’t nothin’ like it."
Most of problems were in this sentence. Firstly, you used "papa", but you had been consistently using "Daddy" in everything else. Secondly, you said "used to say." This confused me. Why did he stop? Perhaps if you were referring to when she was little, you could say something along the lines of "my daddy used to say to me back when I couldn't even spell 'sunrise'." That was pretty bad, but you get the point.

The next section I had some problem with was the opening lines of Patty. I believed the main narrator was saying it at first. I'd suggest changing Patty's "daddy" with "papa." Also, it's not "My Daddy," but "My daddy." You only capitalize words like "mom" and "dad" when you're substituting names. When it has a possessive pronoun in front of it, it isn't capitalized.

Patty's next line "My daddy said," also throws me off. I thought she was going to continue saying something. Doing something like changing it to "Well, that's what my daddy said, and he ain't never wrong." (If Patty uses double negatives, I'm not sure) would make it a little easier to understand.

"I loved going into town, especially on days like this when everyone was there."
I don't know what it is about this sentence, but I just don't like it. Try rewording it?

And finally, you stopped at a very weird and awkward place. I know that this is just a part, but imagine if you were reading a book, and the chapter ended there. You'd believe a page had been ripped out.

Overall, I have to say it really is fantastic (despite all of my edits). I'd mostly work on clarity.
Last edited by emeraldmaria on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, 'No hablo ingles.'"

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:59 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there LittlePrincess,

Tanya here, as requested! I'm very sorry for the delay, but better late than never, right? ;)

At first, I thought you'd sent me a poem and I backtracked: I don't do poems. But, then I came back, saw the rest, and actually skimmed over, wondering what the relevance was. Then, *smiles* I actually read it. Now I see the relevance. I enjoyed the poem, and it helps to set the time frame your story is set in.

I would suggest maybe changing the font, or putting it in italics, to mark it as part of the story, but different. And add the little stars, also.

I loved this piece. You're great at painting a vivid picture, with just the right amount of details and descriptions. I have to agree with Emerald about Patty. I thought it was the MC speaking, at first.

On my lap Annabelle giggled and cooed in her pink dress, her blond girls pinned neatly to her head.
curls (?)

My kid brother, Brendan leaned out the window until Mama yanked him back it.
in

Well, that was it for the nitpicks. I also agree that it was an awkward stop to the chapter. I wanted to keep reading: it wasn't a natural pause to the story, you know?

Other than that, I really liked this. Especially since I don't usually read Historical Fiction.

Great piece, hope you get a great mark, because you deserve it.

Tanya

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:27 pm
Elinor says...

Hi there! Here as requested.

So, I like this story a lot and I hope you do well with it in school -- it has a lot of good stuff in it. Besides, I've always enjoyed historical fiction. The civil war is an interesting period to write about because there are two distinct sides to it -- that of the north and that of the south. There aren't that many stories from the point of view of the latter, so it's nice to see something different for a change. It'll be exciting to see where this is going!

First, I had a quick historical note. When Lincoln was running for president, he was not interested in freeing slaves. He thought it was wrong, but but what he really wanted to do was restore the nation and keep it one and unified. Have you heard the quote, "A house divided among itself cannot stand"? It's a famous quote from one of his speeches. In time he came to realize that it would be necessary to free the slaves. The southerners thought Lincoln was not going to let them do what they wanted or have their own free rights, so that is why they seceded.

Secondly, it would help you a lot regarding this story if you slowed down your pace. It's going incredibly fast right now, and you aren't giving the reader time to slow down and take in what is going on. When you start out with the main character and her father, I don't even know where they are. Are they on the porch? In the dining room? Then, you jump right into the next scene and I don't even know where she is or who these people she's talking to are. I assume they're her friends, but you have to tell us that. Also, if that is true, she would probably just refer to them by their first names! Where are they? How much time has passed since the first scene. In that part and the part that follows, you're throwing so many names at us, and it's hard to keep track of them.

Overall, I think this is great and I am looking forward to reading the next part! I can tell you worked hard at this and that you have a good handle on description and imagery. I hope this helps you -- if anything is unclear or if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message. :)

~ Elinor

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:50 am
TheCodex says...

I'm a big history fan, and I love this. Civil War history is amazing. Cheers, very good story.
I'm a high functioning sociopath, do your research!
-
"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
- Jack London.

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:03 am
View Likes
Jashael says...

Hey, girl. I'm sorry if I'm so slow, but here I am now! :D Just going to tell you that I'm not so good with historical fiction; but I'll try my best.

NITPICKS|ADDED|CHANGED|PAY ATTENTION

Up north the world is gloomy and grey

Hard work in thick air

Black lungs, brown buildings, the work doesn’t end.

Cramped rooms, no money, no clothes, no food.

Industry is booming, the world is changing

Down South, just walking outside makes beads of sweat gather

and roll down pale foreheads.

Acres of cotton stretch to the horizon,

reflect the sun like blankets of snow.

Dark, calloused hands rip and tear from the ground

Pink scars across their bare, black backs.

But they are free, in those tiny rooms

They work and feed and clothe themselves

Slaves of society, under southern sun

In a strict and rigid hierarchy

One country, two worlds

an explosion, a clash

Now cotton fields are covered with sticky red blood

Of brothers fighting brothers

Slaves fighting for their masters

a country ripped apart at the seams

I'm not so sure how to tackle with the punctuations here. Sorry. I'm just saying that, there were missing periods, I think. And you're the one who can actually fix that. Because I'm not so sure with the flow.

Is this about the civil war? :)

He was cut off by my mother. “Stop reading that, dear, it only works you up.”

Daddy said that "if Lincoln wins the presidency he’s gonna take away our slaves, snatch ‘em right up." Daddy said "Lincoln doesn’t understand property or making a living."

Berta, our housemaid, shuffled by with a pitcher of orange juice. <no space.‘Dju like some, Miz Becca?” She asked me.

“You can’t leave the Union,” Hannah Jones protested. “We’re attached, it ain’t possible.”

Mama said I needed to become a lady so I could find a good, rich,<no comma> husband.

Men wanted wives who could be proper ladies, not ones who slurred their words and get mud on their shoes.

My oldest brother, John, tried to carefully imitate his expression. Ever since he turned seventeen, he'd tried to do everything Daddy did, when Daddy wasn't not there he'd put himself in charge.

He said he had no time for fun.

My Mama gave me a quarter.

OVERALL

So as I said, I'm not good with historical fiction. Especially stuffs about America. LOL But anyway, this was nice. I'm not so sure though if the tense shifts were for the hint of some American accent. But still, if so, you had to be consistent. So I guess not; and those were really mistakes.

That's all.. :)

Keep writing!

~ Jash ♥
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

34 Reviews

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:47 am
HarpoMarx says...

Excellent work buddy! I thought it was good. Let me know how you went!
Make sure you proof read it- I don't think it needs much but anyway.
Make sure you really think about what you are writing about and think about whether you feel close to a character/s- if not it's fine, but for me it really helps to base things on what I have/ am feeling/felt. Make sure also when you are editing a story you think about what you need or what you may need to add.
Hope these help!

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:53 pm
moderncalypso says...

Hi :) I really love historical fiction, especially civil war. My family fought for the south, even though they were from West Virginia. I like reading the kind that shows it from southerners point of view. It makes them sound more like people and not African enslaving monsters. Did you know slavery wasn't even the main cause for the civil war?' So now I'm just blabbering, so I'll just say that this is great and I am definatly going to read more of this when you get it out.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:16 am
View Likes
ballerina13 says...

Hello! This was interesting. The history of the Civil War is great. I love the Civil War era. But, I do feel that it was confusing. The poem-esque beginning was confusing and threw me off. It was good but it did not seem to pertain to the story. It can be a poem or a story, just not both I think. The descriptions in the beginning, of the father, were great. They were new ways of expressing that detail. The jump from characters without any introduction or prior mention made the reading rough and hard to understand. There were too many people going throughout the story which made it difficult to focus on the true aspect of it. When you had a new character speak, it was without any say of who they were besides the name.
The story is at a very fast pace and is hard to keep up with. Which is frustrating to the reader. Plus, some of the historical aspects are not very accurate. Maybe research more of the North's opinion and what the two sides both thought, just for some constrast.
Overall, this is a piece that has potential, just slow down and show what is happening. Explain. I like this and hope you continue it. I hope I helped. Message me if you have any questions.
~Ballerina
Got YWS?
"No one can arrive from being talented alone,work transform talent into genius" - Anna Pavlova

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Sun May 08, 2011 2:47 am
magpie0817 says...

Hey there! This was really well written, though I'm a little disappointed the narrator didn't talk as much; she sounded like she might have had a little bit of an opinion to her. Also, there were a few spelling errors here and there. Nothing to be worried about! Great job, I hope you'll add on to this!
bring peace, give love, accept life
☮☮☮☮
-Magpie-

162 Reviews

Reviews: 162
Sun May 08, 2011 3:01 am
silentpages says...

Interesting poem thing at the beginning. I liked the start of the south, when it talked about dark hands ripping from the ground. Very good imagery throughout. The only problem I have with that first part is that I didn't really understand this line:
"But they are free, in those tiny rooms." What rooms, and how are they free? Maybe it's just because I'm not exactly a poetry buff, but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

"Outside, the sun was melting like butter over endless fields, warm pinks and yellows silhouetted the white cotton." I LOVE this line. Awesome imagery.

"We were all silent after that, no one dared argue but I knew we were all wondering if she was right, if we really could up and leave the North." I can't help but feel that you might be able to cut off that last part, about wondering if she's right. If you just say that they stay silent, I'd assume that we could infer what they're thinking about... But that's probably a matter of personal preference.

I'm not sure about the ending. It's rather abrupt, and I'm not sure if you were going to add something more later, or if you just didn't know how to end it so you stopped it there... Or was the 'Hold onto Annabelle's hand' supposed to be something we could draw connections to, like, it was supposed to be like the South should hold onto the North's hand (as in, stay united)... Basically, I'm not sure what you were trying to do. XD Whatever it was, I think you should probably make it more deliberate. Give us a real hum-dinger of an ending, and if 'Hold onto Annabelle's hand' was supposed to be the hum-dinger, make that more clear. :)

Nice job. :) Keep writing!

EDIT: *looked at the title* OOOOooooh... Part 1? XD Still, it's kind of an abrupt end to the section...
"Pay Attention. Pay Close Attention to everything, everything you see. Notice what no one else notices, and you'll know what no one else knows. What you get is what you get. What you do with what you get is more the point. -- Loris Harrow, City of Ember (Movie)

life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae