z

Young Writers Society

Luna 1

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:20 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

1. Reunion
The woman was close; Asha could feel it. Finally. She had been searching for almost fifteen years, and now she could sense the woman’s presence.
Bands of anxiety constricted her heart. What should I say? Should I say anything at all? Her eyes followed the woman who drifted silently past the tree line. The sharp smell of decay blew into Asha’s face, as broken branches crunched underfoot. Idly she wondered why the forest was thinner towards the highway like a balding head. If the situation hadn’t been so tense, maybe she would’ve laughed. Maybe.
She could feel night’s shadowy fingers touching her everywhere, making her skin crawl. She shuddered a bit and suddenly she couldn’t stop; her instincts were telling her to get out. Fast. But she refused to leave until the woman was with her.
She urged her feet to move toward the woman, but they seemed to be frozen in place by the uncommonly early autumn frost. “Mom!” she shouted, waving her hands above her head. An owl hooted in displeasure when the screaming girl disrupted its nighttime calm.
The woman continued to walk away from Asha as the whispering waves blew their briny ocean winds against them. Asha writhed in place, trying to rid herself of the invisible captor that held her in place as the woman adamantly trudged toward Luna General Hospital. Asha rocked back and forth, her desperation becoming clearer by the second.
The hospital’s bright lights seemed out of place against the dusky surroundings. The haunting light of the full moon glinted off of an expensive-looking sedan. The woman nodded in satisfaction when it caught her eye. It seemed like her plan-whatever it was-was working perfectly.
Her bulky trench coat slid from her shoulders, the biting winds waking the infants in her arms. Who are they? Asha wondered, hot, jealous tears spilling unbidden from her eyes. The woman quickly recovered the babies and continued without missing a beat. The babies’ untroubled cooing seemed odd to Asha. They seemed happy in the darkness, almost like they belonged in its bottomless depths.
The woman kept looking at the forest behind her. Asha noticed when the woman hesitated, and then looking into the forest, with wide, unseeing eyes, she shuddered. But whenever Asha looked, there was nothing but fallen leaves and the nearly inaudible sounds of padding feet. With a look of determination, the woman kept walking across the highway. It was the only thing between her and the hospital.
Asha heard the woman breathe a sigh of relief when she crossed onto the hospital’s property. That’s weird, she thought. How was it possible that she could hear a little sigh when the woman was at least five yards away? Asha shook her head because she didn’t care. As long as her mother was near, nothing else mattered.
The woman laid the children on the steps of the nearly empty hospital and backed away. The moonlight coated her face, giving it a beautifully ominous light. Asha’s hand went up, and she pretended that she could hold her mother’s face in her hand. She thought that if she could just touch her mother then everything in her life would be solidified, and her heart would be filled with love. But since she was still stuck in place, none of that could happen. Soon, Asha swore.
The woman took a small box from her pocket and placed it in the baby boy’s blue cover, making sure to conceal it from wandering eyes. She removed a silver necklace from around her neck and put it on the little girl where it shimmered, a light in the darkness.
Asha’s heart was thundering in her chest; why would her mother give away the necklace? Asha touched the hollow at her throat, her fingers scrabbling at the spot where her necklace should have been. You’ve got to get her attention, Asha thought to herself. It honestly couldn’t hurt to try again. If Asha showed her mother how much she longed for her, maybe she would stay this time. Asha hoped with everything that she was that the woman wouldn’t leave her again. “Wait for me!” Asha’s voice was ignored. The woman didn’t even turn her way.
“Stay safe, my beloveds,” the woman whispered to her babies, kissing them lightly on the forehead. “I,” she began. Her voice cracked as she choked down a sob and turned away from them. She glided across the interstate, her feet a blur as she ran faster than Asha thought was possible, and the night-blackened trees sucked her in.
Asha fell to her knees, grateful that she could move, but tormented because the woman had left yet again. Her world seemed to be spinning dismally around her; it took all she had to hang on. Broken sobs ripped from her chest for what felt like hours. A heavy sadness settled onto her body, and she could feel it concentrating in her heart.
Quieting, she wiped the dirt off her jeans and set off on the way home. All expression melted from her face as she fell into resignation. Her mother was gone and that was that. She shrugged her shoulders lightly; she knew there was nothing she could do about it, but that didn’t make it hurt any less.
Asha was only a yard away from the edge of the parking lot where she had watched the woman when someone spun her around abruptly. The woman’s gentle features and small figure personified nurture. She held her arms open, daring Asha to trust her. “Mom, you came back for me.” Suddenly, the weight was lifted off of her, and it felt like her body was humming with joy. Asha could almost pretend that her sudden lightness had her floating above ground. She fell into the woman’s arms, but instead of being warm and comfortable like any mother’s hugs should be, it felt cold and hard, a brick wall. Asha tried to shift out of the hug, wonder creasing her brow.
“What’s wrong, Asha?” the suddenly maniacal woman cackled. Asha suddenly went slack; all parts of her were numb. The woman rolled her eyes at the adoration that she undoubtedly saw in Asha’s. “You were never worthy of my love. I didn’t love you or your brother Aiden,” the woman said, gesturing toward the squirming babies on the hospital step with her free arm. Asha shook her head slightly, confusion clouding her eyes.
The woman’s deceptively sweet face shone with malice, and I watched as an animalistic glint appeared in her dark eyes. Asha pushed away but the woman just held tighter; the weight was suddenly back upon her. But this time it was fear, not sadness, weighing down her limbs. The woman’s lips spread, her sharp canine-like teeth making Asha nauseous. She struggled to get out of the woman’s lethal embrace. Her chest rumbled against Asha; she was still pressed up against the woman’s oddly frigid body. That rumble, even though it was mostly inaudible, seemed like a growl. The thought of her mother growling made Asha’s blood run cold.
“You were a burden on my life.” The woman must’ve gotten sick of watching Asha wriggle under her gaze. “I’m glad I abandoned you.” Silent tears flowed down Asha’s face, her mouth too dry to speak. Weren’t reunions supposed to be sweet?
Asha’s tears broke the nonviolent façade. The woman grabbed Asha’s arms and shook her back and forth with otherworldly strength. She cried out in pain when her head snapped forward then back again, and her hair lashed her face leaving throbbing welts in its wake. An earth-shattering screech clawed its way out of her mouth when the woman slammed her on the ground, small rocks embedding themselves in her flesh. She whimpered when the woman left again, begging for her, not caring that she didn’t love Asha and never had. Asha shrieked when she shot up in bed, a thin layer of sweat covering her body.
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:32 pm
Idraax says...

This wasn't bad, although it did leave me with a lot of questions; I'm assuming you'll explain the details in the next chapters. The one thing that bothered me was that you started off with a dream. I felt a little cheated because you had something interesting going on here, but it turned out to be a dream. :( We're not going to be reading about her thinking about the dream in the next chapter are we? I think that would slow down the story. Why don't you start off with showing her in her everyday life? Introduce usvto the character a little bit before showing us the dream. Right now, I don't have a reason to care about her. I don't know who she is. I did like your use of description and your time travel factor thing though. Keep going!:)
Check these out please! :)
Alezrani
Will review for food thread

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:11 pm
Tigersprite says...

Alright, Tiger here to review per request! Comments will be in bold.

pinkangel54123 wrote:1. Reunion
The woman was close; Asha could feel it. Finally. She had been searching for almost fifteen years, and now she could sense the sensedwoman’s presence.

Bands of Anxiety constricted her heart. What should I say? Should I say anything at all? Her eyes followed the woman who drifted silently past the tree line. The sharp smell of decay blew into Asha’s face, as broken branches crunched underfoot. Idly She wondered why the forest was thinner towards the highway like a balding head. If the situation hadn’t been so tense, maybe she would’ve laughed. Maybe.

She could feel night’ no comma needed here s shadowy fingers touching her everywhere, making her skin crawl. She shuddered a bit and suddenly she couldn’t stop; her instincts were telling her to get out Get out? I thought she was outside. Perhaps you should say: 'Get away'.. Fast. But she refused to wouldn't leave until the woman was with her.

She urged her feet to move toward the woman, but they seemed to be frozen in place by the uncommonly early autumn frost. “Mom!” she shouted, waving her hands above her head. An owl hooted in displeasure when the screaming girl disrupted its nighttime calm.

The woman continued to walk away from Asha as the whispering waves blew their briny ocean winds against them. Asha writhed in place, trying to rid herself of the invisible captor that held her in place as the woman her mother adamantlytrudged toward Luna General Hospital. Asha rocked back and forth, her desperation becoming clearer by the second.

The hospital’s bright lights seemed out of place against the dusky surroundings. The haunting light of the full moon glinted off of an expensive-looking sedan. The woman nodded in satisfaction when it caught her eye. It seemed like her plan--whatever it was--was working perfectly. Either use double dashes, or long dashes. Otherwise it looks like you're combining the words and it's confusing.

Her mother's bulky trench coat slid from her shoulders, the biting winds waking the infants in her arms. Who are they? Asha wondered, hot, jealous tears spilling unbidden This description seems like over-description here from her eyes. The woman quickly recovered Recovered the babies? Did they go missing or something? the babies and continued without missing a beat. The babies’ untroubled cooing I thought people cooed at babies seemed odd to Asha. They seemed happy in the darkness, almost like they belonged in its bottomless depths.

The woman kept looking at the forest behind her. Asha noticed when the woman hesitated, and then looking into the forest, with wide, unseeing eyes, she shuddered. But whenever Asha looked, there was nothing but fallen leaves and the nearly inaudible sounds of padding I'm with my dictionary just now, but I think 'padding' is being used in the wrong context :? feet. With a look of determination, the woman kept walking across the highway. Wait. So they were walking in a forest near the ocean, and now they're walking on the highway beside the forest? It was the only thing between her and the hospital.

Asha heard the woman breathe a sigh of relief when she crossed onto the hospital’s property. That’s weird, she thought. How was it possible that she could hear a little sigh when the woman was at least five yards away? Asha shook her head because she didn’t care. This sentence just doesn't sound right. But then as long as her mother was near, nothing else mattered.

The woman laid the children on the steps of the nearly empty hospital and backed away. The moonlight coated her face, giving it a beautifully ominous light. Asha’s hand went up, and she pretended that she could hold was holding her mother’s face in her hand. She thought I think 'wished' would be better here that if she could just touch her mother then everything in her life would be solidified 'fine' might just about suffice, and her heart would be filled with love. But since she was still stuck in place, of coursenone of that could ever happen. Soon, Asha swore to herself.

The woman took a small box from her pocket and placed it in the baby boy’s blue cover I thought she had backed away? And perhaps you should have mentioned the children's sexes earlier. It's sort of strange now, making sure to conceal it from wandering eyes. She removed a silver necklace from around her neck and put it on the little girl where it shimmered, a light in the darkness.

Asha’s heart was thundering in her chest; why would her mother give away the necklace? Asha touched the hollow at her throat, her fingers scrabbling at the spot where her necklace should have been. You’ve got to get her attention, Asha thought to herself. It honestly couldn’t hurt to try again. If Asha showed her mother how much she longed for her, maybe she would stay this time. Asha hoped with everything that she was that the woman wouldn’t leave her again.

“Wait for me!” Asha’s voice was ignored 'Wait for me!' sounds a little strange. Shouldn't she be saying something like 'Mom!' instead?. The woman at certain points you refer to her as 'mother', than at other points 'the woman'. It's a bit disconcerting didn’t even turn her way.

“Stay safe, my beloveds,” the woman whispered to her babies, kissing them lightly on the forehead.

“I...” she began. She started again, but her voice cracked and she choked down a sob and turned away from them. She glided across the interstate, her feet a blur as she ran faster than Asha thought was possible, and the night-blackened trees sucked her in.

Asha fell to her knees; grateful that she could move, but tormented because the woman had left yet again. Her world seemed to be spinning dismally unnecessary description around her; it took all she had to hang on. Broken sobs ripped from her chest for what felt like hours. A heavy sadness settled onto her body, and she could feel it concentrating in her heart.

Quieting, she wiped the dirt off her jeans and set off on the way home. All expression melted from her face as she fell into resignation. Her mother was gone and that was that. She shrugged her shoulders lightly; she knew there was nothing she could do about it, but that didn’t make it hurt any less. Doesn't she care for her abandoned siblings?

Asha was only a yard away from the edge of the parking lot where she had watched the woman when someone spun her around abruptly. The woman’s gentle features and small figure personified nurture. She held her arms open, daring Asha to trust her.

“Mom, you came back for me.” Suddenly, the weight was lifted off of her, and it felt like her body was humming with joy. Asha could almost pretend that her sudden lightness had her floating above ground This sentence sounds very odd. She fell into the woman’s arms, but instead of being warm and comfortable like any mother’s hugs should be, it felt cold and hard, a brick wall. Asha tried to shift out of the hug, wonder creasing her brow.

“What’s wrong, Asha?” the suddenly maniacal woman cackled. Asha suddenly went slack; all parts of her were numb. The woman rolled her eyes at the adoration I'm not sure she'd be so adoring right now that she undoubtedly saw in Asha’s.

“You were never worthy of my love. I didn’t love you or your brother Aiden,” the woman said, gesturing toward the squirming babies on the hospital step with her free arm. Asha shook her head slightly, confusion clouding her eyes.
The woman’s deceptively sweet face shone with malice, and I where did this new MC come from? watched as an animalistic glint appeared in her dark eyes. Asha pushed away but the woman just held tighter; the weight was suddenly back upon her. But this time it was fear, not sadness, weighing down her limbs. The woman’s lips spread, her sharp canine-like teeth making Asha nauseous. She struggled to get out of the woman’s lethal embrace. Her chest rumbled against Asha; she was still pressed up against the woman’s oddly frigid body. That rumble, even though it was mostly inaudible, seemed like a growl. The thought of her mother growling made Asha’s blood run cold.

“You were a burden on my life. The woman must’ve gotten sick of watching Asha wriggle under her gaze. I’m glad I abandoned you.” Silent tears flowed down Asha’s face, her mouth too dry to speak. Weren’t reunions supposed to be sweet?

Asha’s tears broke the nonviolent façade Those last two words are confusing. The woman grabbed Asha’s arms and shook her back and forth with otherworldly strength. She cried out in pain when her head snapped forward then back again, and her hair lashed her face leaving throbbing welts in its wake Did her own hair lash her face or did her mother's? And hair hitting someone's face and causing welts sounds a little difficult to believe. An earth-shattering screech clawed its way out of her mouth when the woman slammed her on the ground, small rocks embedding themselves in her flesh. She whimpered when the woman left again, begging for her, not caring that she didn’t love Asha and never had. Asha shrieked when she shot up in bed, a thin layer of sweat covering her body.

My first impression is that the story is very odd, and at times I found it a bit hard to follow the plot. The first part seemed like a teenager trying to meet her mother for the first time, and then it seems like the girl is some sort of time-traveller (I got the impression that the babies were her and her brother Aiden?) and then at the very end her mother seems to be some kind of demonic entity. Then again, I suppose this is a fantasy novel.

Anyway, it is interesting. A bit confusing because this first chapter leaves quite a few questions unanswered, but interesting none the less. Your spelling is without flaw, which really endears it to me (it's very annoying to have to correct spellings along with the review). Great job, and KEEP WRITING!

TIGERSPRITE
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:18 pm
Apple says...

I am here as promised. I've read this chapter millions of times but never reviewed it so maybe now that I am I'll see it with new eyes...probably not, it'll still be great!

I. Nitpicks:
Idly, she wondered why the forest was thinner towards the highway like a balding head.

I suggest that you place a comma imbetween 'idly' and 'she'. As I read this, I couldn't help but pause there. It's really up to you whether or not you place it in.

She urged her feet to move towards the woman

You didn't place an 's' on the word towards - marked above.

Asha noticed when the woman hesitated, and then lookinglooked into the forest, with wide, unseeing eyes, she shuddered.

This sentence had a couple of errors. Not big ones, though. I say some parts didn't make much sense - as you can see from the strike - I went through and replaced what I thought sound more rythmic. Hmm, another thing I want to point out is I removed some of the commas because they didn't fit.

The moonlight coated her face, giving it a beautifully ominous light glow.

Glow sounds better then light, here.

should be, it felt cold and hard: a brick wall.

I say colon instead of comma but then again, it is up to you. You choose if you want to keep a comma or a colon. I'd say the colon fits better though.

II. Plot/Arc:

So far, this is very interesting. I like the way you explained things through to the end so it felt like I was actually watching it, hence the popcorn! Another thing I like is the way the Mother was portrayed sweet and kind then turned evil, that again, was just perfect. You have a great way with words and it shows in this chapter. Now for the negatives. I think that Asha wasn't really developed as a characters. The mother, yes most definitely. But not Asha.

For some reason she felt like a puppet which is weird because usually it's the other characters that that often happens to. Maybe take a leaf out of her Mother's persona and try and work the same magic into Asha. From what I am getting, Asha is a very lonely person and that's it. Squeeze in a little more and the story will be perfect. I couldn't particulary find anything that bothered me other then that. Maybe that you went into a little to much depth in explaining things but then, I also thought that was a good thing.

III. Overall:

Overall, this was a very nice read. Mysterious and heart pumping, I was as entriguied from the beginning to the end. There isn't much to fix with this but the little nitpicks and that one negative of your story that I pointed out, otherwise, this was ACE. I am looking forward to seeing new work from this - I've read the other chapters, I was planning on reviewing them but never got around to it - because I'm addicted!

Keep on Writing,

Cassa de Review-ae
I spy!

We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind