z

Young Writers Society

The Lockets -- Chapter 2 [Snowflake]

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:30 am
Jashael says...

UNDER RENOVATION. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Spoiler! :
Click here to join my page for my first ever novel, The Lockets, or else live with the harassing guilt of declining a simple request by an aspiring writer named Jash Bagabaldo. Okay, if that threat didn't work, I'll just say: "PLEASE?" *Pretty eyes* =)

To everyone who read the first chapter:
[]Hello, whoever you are, I'm sorry if this isn't so good. It's just a draft I found in my D://drive...sooo Thanks if you'd take the time to read it. :)

Oh, and you might get confused bout the view of the chapter. I'm not saying anything. All I'm saying is I want you to think, so there. Sorry for being confusing. LOL[/]

-----------------------------
II
Nightmare

THE hail hurled everything as far as I could see. The sunlight was totally blotted out by the myriads of clouds that mounted above me. The wind was so strong, I couldn’t have made it. There was a force that had helped me—a daunting force it seemed.

And so I thought, there was someone who had been helping me. A face that I couldn’t recognize peered through the storm; it was made of--ice. It held out a hand to me and said with its enchanting voice, “Glaze, my dear, give me your hand.”

“Never!” I cried out, trying my best not to collapse in the raging horror.

“But, Glaze,” said the voice, “you have already won.”

The storm yielded as she pointed out at a block of crystal.

“See?”

I tried standing bolt upright, but I was weak and was ready to collapse.

The storm yielded a way to a massive ice wall. I looked intently at where she was pointing till my vision came to a focus.

“No!” I gasped with horror.

Before me a blonde girl floated unconsciously, acting as a prisoner in the block of ice. Her face looked troubled; her anxious expression cried out to me: ‘’Why?’’

Guilt immediately held my soul.

“Please proceed, Glaze. As I have told you, you have gained your victory.” The voice was a tempter—hypnotizing. It controlled me, and I reluctantly stepped further down the sheets of ice. I stretched my hand out to touch it—but I couldn’t!

I collapsed. Some of the ice were sharp enough that I grazed my hands on them, but I didn’t care. Cowering on the ground, I tightly closed my eyes as if the disturbing images could be shut out. Opening my eyes again, I stared at the icy floor—panting, crying, and regretting.

Yuenish?! Did I do this to you?

“Glaze, there is nothing to fear my dear.”

I clasped my hands on my ears. I started to scream inside of me. If only I had the strength, I would have been screaming out loud.

No! I wouldn’t! I couldn’t! It’s impossible! I know I’ve been a fool, but I could never hurt you, Yuenish! She’s lying! Yuenish! I know I’ve been a fool…

“Snowflake!” I woke up panting and doused in sweat. Michelle was shaking me furiously, successfully waking me up. “Snow! Why were you screaming?”

“I—I was?” I stammered while holding up my sweat soaked hair. I looked at it in confusion. “I can’t remember why. All I can remember is that I had a bad dream, and Yuenish was in it, that’s all.”

“Well, whatever that is, you sure startled me.” Michelle pulled my blanket away and ordered me to get up. “Well?” She paused for a moment and presumed that I knew what to say next, but her stare just left me in confusion. She sighed and said, “we’re not gonna waste this weekend! Go and take a bath now! I want to have some fun today ‘cause tomorrow is for sure excruciating.”

I stared at her for awhile. She sighed and sat beside me.

"Look, I know you're tired from your flight yesterday." She tucked my bangs behind my ear. "And I know what you're going through right now. Having a stepmother is--hard to accept, I know. You're father just has his own needs."

"And that includes marrying my sister's boyfriend's mother?"

"Well, no--but, wait--" She paused. "Does he know?"

"No." I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"That is so weird."

Her phone began to ring, and I was left on my bed still a bit perplexed with my nightmare. Yuenish. In my dream, I'd killed my own sister. I shook my head. "Impossible," I assured myself.

Michelle came back grinning and squirming around like a total nutcase.

“Guess what?” she asked.

I just shrugged.

“Derek says he’s coming with us,” she said.

“Oh great!” I shouted in mock delight.

Every time Derek would hang around with us, Michelle would always be caught up in a cloud leading to loven—love heaven—“where all love indulged people live in harmony.” She was to be blamed alright. Derek was just one of those arrogant jerks who thought money could buy everything: great looks, plus flunking grades. Whatever. The thing is, I’d be left out again. So much for a fun-filled weekend.

“Oh cheer up, Snow,” Michelle sat beside me, “I promise this day will be great. Why don’t you ask Chase to come? Please?”

I flopped up on the bed and started clipping up my hair. “Fine.” I took my phone from under my pillow and dialed Chase's number. "But if he's busy or something, don't expect me to come." The ringing stopped. “Hey, Chase. Wanna hang out with us today? Come along with Derek.”

Michelle sat beside me, waiting for an answer.

“Okay, bye.”

“What did he say?”Michelle excitedly asked.

“Yes, duh…” I answered, and then she shrieked. I rolled my eyes and ordered her to just get dressed.

We drove to the mall at nine in the morning and had breakfast in Starbucks. We were to meet the men there at ten thirty. I ordered a green tea Frappuccino and, facing Michelle and the busy streets of New York, sat in front of the glass doors. I sat there because I could always shift my eyes to watch people and cars outside when Michelle has something boring to say. I was getting ready for: "Oh, Snowy, Mozart's Symphony 40 in G minor is so amazing!" Like I ever cared how great that Mow-tsart with his frickin' white wigs was.

I sipped down half of my drink when I saw Derek and Chase entering.

“There they are.” I pointed out to Michelle.

“Derek!” she called out.

Two men swaggered in our direction. They were both in a haughty gait. But as they came closer, I noticed for the first time that there was a remarkable difference in their countenances: Derek had a fiercely handsome face with his chin always held up high in the air, while Chase had somewhat a humble look—angel type.

Chase sat and smiled, his hair drawn to the right and covering one of his blue eyes. He kissed my cheek then stretched an arm around me. Derek took a seat beside Michelle.

“Yo, Snowy.” Derek threw an airy look at me. “How’s it goin'?”

“Oh, shut up, Derek! I told you never to call me ‘Snowy’, only Mitch has the right to call me that.”

We laughed. Then Derek dragged Chase to the counter to order beverages.

“This is going to be fun,” Michelle whispered to me.

The boys were momentarily back.

“So, guys, what are we gonna do?” Derek asked while slicing a piece of his cake with a fork. He took a glance around, looking at each one of us, then stared at Michelle. “How ‘bout you, babe?”

Michelle giggled, resting her elbows on the table and her chin on her palms. “I just want to take a stroll around the mall, I mean, simply bonding.” She grinned and raised her eyebrows at us, hoping if we would all agree.

I shrugged my shoulders then looked at Chase. He beamed at me. Guess, we all conceded with Michelle.

We roamed around the mall and just talked. Sounds boring, doesn’t it? But when I was with Chase, nothing was boring.

As we walked, Derek wrapped his arm around Michelle’s waist and strode faster so that he and she could talk.

Chase didn’t do the same with me, though I wish he did, so I just hugged myself, taking glances of him and remembering how we came to know each other.

Dance.

We shared the same passion for dancing, and that paved the way for our relationship to evolve to something more.

Chase was an ordinary person who, I believe, really was no ordinary. He worked as a cashier in Pizza O’ Parkers, a fast-food restaurant only six blocks away from the dorm. But I honestly believed that he also worked in a bar--at some time--to get more money, and he just wouldn't tell me. Working part-time cashier and part-time bartender, sometimes, I felt so sorry for him.

His father had left his family a year ago, leaving him to make a living for his little brother and his mother who had colon cancer. He gave everything he earned to them, despite his own needs. That was the reason why he deserved the scholarship he got from Julliard University.

Yes, we both studied in Julliard, and there we had met each other. There, we realized that there was something that pulled us closer each day. And even though he believed that there was a big chasm between our two different worlds, that fact did not stop me from falling in love with him. He was unselfish, contented, hard-working, and everything I could ever want. I loved everything that he was made of, and I always would.

“What?” Chase asked with his charming smile.

“Nothing.” I smiled back. He pulled me in his arm--finally.

“Oh!” I exclaimed, remembering something. I shoved my hand in my pocket.

“What is it?” he asked.

I pulled out a small sheet of paper and handed it to Chase.

“What is this? A cheque?” Chase inspected the sheet of paper, turning stern.

“You said that your mother needs chemo therapy,” I explained. “Don’t worry,” I assured him, “I really don’t need that amount of money anyway.”

He handed me back the cheque and held me by the waist. He was getting more serious when I insisted him to take it but still refused to. Sometimes I fell it was pride that was making him decline my offers.

I sighed. “Remember about how down you were about not getting anything for my birthday?”

“I told you, I promise, I’ll get something.” He smirked.

“Well, you don’t have to,” I said, holding back his chest and stopping his walk. “Take the cheque. That’s what I want you to give me for a gift—a chance to help someone in need.” I smiled and tried putting the paper back in his hand. “Please?”

“Fine,” he said, a bit irritated.

I just kissed him, my hands on his chest and his arms around me.

“Snowflake!” Michelle exclaimed, interrupting the intoxicating moment.

“Yes?” I asked, a bit furiously.

“No,” she said. “Look outside! Snowflake!”

Michelle pointed through the glass walls to show that she was referring to real frozen mini spheres. It was beginning to snow.

I held Chase by the hand, and we leisurely walked outside, staring at the falling frost. I watched till memories aroused from the scene.

“Mommy! I made my fiwst snow angel!” I had exclaimed to Mom when I was six.

It was true. I spent my childhood in a country where only two seasons exists: wet or dry. But I had been always interested about snow. After all, wasn’t I named ‘’Snowflake’’? The only things that I could get information about winter are either books or cartoon shows, and I often imitated what I had learned. So, when I was six, I took out about fifteen rolls of tissue and tore them into lots and lots of pieces.

“Mommy, look at me!”

I could remember how Mom had laughed and joined me; she even made a “big-guy” (bigger) snow angel than I did. Then she tickled me, and I felt cheated and started screaming.

Sunshine, or as I call her, Yuenish, my inevitably boring sister, was sitting in a corner reading a book. She was interrupted by our shrieks and laughs and charged at us.

“Mother, Snow, you’re wasting trees,” she had lectured us. Yes, I know, a six-year-old kid lecturing her mother that she was wasting trees.

Mom didn’t mind her sermon and commanded, “Get her!”

We both grabbed Yuenish and started tickling her in an enormous quantity of ripped paper. She laughed and laughed and was palpably enjoying it.

“Stop! I can’t take it anymore.” She took her book and went on reading again.

“Oh, Sunshine, when will you ever grow down?” Mom had gagged; I laughed. “You’re just like your father.” Mom continued. She turned to me and whispered, “Ostensibly, serious, but inside is thinking of something crazy.”

I would still laugh at her remark. I could never forget it because it was true; my sister was presumably quiet and ascetic, but on the inside, she was insane. I read one of her correspondence book queries (yeah, I hacked her e-mail account) and it was about a teenage proxy. She should have been writing satirical novels about politics if you would guess her accounts on her attitude y'know. And they called me immature!

"Gotta go!" Derek exclaimed, breaking my reverie.

I grunted at them as he and Michelle walked away.

I turned to Chase. "Want me to drive you home?"

"No, thanks, angel. Let's just go somewhere--refreshing and quiet."

"What about New York Bay?" --the place we first spent some time alone.

"Seems nice," he said.

I drove us to Lower New York Bay, and we started to stroll by the waters with my hand in his. The stars twinkled above us; yachts were in sight. They were quiet like everything else around us. Freezing breezes blew. Chase held me closer into his arms, so close I could hear the beat of his heart. I could remember clearly how I met him.

I met him because of one boring summer afternoon. Derek invited Michelle and me to go out with him because he was bringing a new guy with us. The guy was apparently Chase, a classmate of mine who I had never talked to before. He was very timid at that time, and I was obviously stupid enough to think he was rich like us; one thing Derek forgot to tell me about him was that he was one of those young men from a slum alley downtown who was talented enough to get a scholarship from Julliard. So, I used to treat him like a wealthy guy, which probably degraded him. Anyway, it was a very humiliating incident when I found out he was not rich.

It was on a Saturday midnight. Michelle and I were watching rented DVD’s. We hadn't had any dinner that night so we went to Pizza O’ Parkers. It was the nearest restaurant with good food and twenty-four-hours service.

“Welcome to Pizza O’ Parkers, Ma’am, can I take your order?” the employee at the drive-thru booth asked me.

The voice, the cute face, and the cheerful smile were all too familiar. I was in shock to see him there, taking orders from hungry customers when I thought he was filthy rich like me. I gaped at him.

“Ma’am, can I please take your order?” he repeated.

The hat with a pizza riding a car imprinted on it slanted down to the right of his blond hair and complemented his humble face.

“Chase?” I hesitantly asked.

Michelle pushed me back and squinted at him. “Oh my gosh, Chase?!” She leaned back in the car and remained silent.

“Sorry, but we don’t sell ‘Chase Pizza’, please check the menu,” he said good-naturedly. He stuck out his hand and pointed downward at the big poster below him.

“Medium Pepperoni and two cans of coke,” I told him.

“That would be $5.99 ma’am.”

I dug down my pocket and found a hundred dollar bill. I felt embarrassed holding it up against Chase’s face. I didn't want to look as if I was rubbing in, but, honestly, it was all that had had.

“Your change ma’am—$94.01 dollars. Thank you for coming. Please drive through again.” He handed out my money and yelled at the next customer, “Next please!”

Michelle and I got our pizza at the next booth and, after parking in front of the restaurant, we ate in the car.

“I can’t finish it.” I laid a half-sliced pizza back in the box.

“What’s the prob, Snowy?” Michelle looked intently at me and began to scream. “Oh my gosh! I knew it!”

“What?”

“You like him!”

“No, Mitch!”

“Tell you what,” she said as she stepped out of the car, “I’m gonna ride a cab home while you wait for him.”

“What?!”

She opened the car door and slammed it in on my face.

I hastily rolled down my window.

"Mitch!"

"You can do it, Snowy! Don't worry!" she hollered as she left.

I rolled up the window and sighed. Holding the wheel with both of my hands, I waited for Chase’s shift to end.

At three in the morning, I finally saw him wearing a plain green shirt and torn-out jeans--casual clothes, and not that annoying pink and green uniform. I speedily looked at the rear mirror and smiled to check if I had anything stuck between my teeth. None. Taking a deep breath, I rolled down the window again.

Chase walked up to me and smiled. I beamed back and recognized his tattered Converse shoes.

“Derek has been really nice lending me a new pair for classes, hasn't he?” he said, leaning forward. "Dirty look is totally in. Try to disagree with me."

“I won’t,” I said, as I squeezed myself into the passenger's seat.

“Do you have a driving license?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Drive yourself home.”

He smiled and sat in the car. But instead of bringing me to his home, he took me to the bay and parked my car.

“You live here?” I had asked, baffled.

“No.”

“Then why the hell did you take us here?” I asked, quite amused.

He laughed and went out of the car. I couldn't remember why I followed him, but I went out of the car anyway. And when I did, he then took my arm, and, taking off his shoes, he told me to take mine off, too. He dragged me further down the bay. The muddy rocks didn't feel uncomfortable though, and I didn't mind 'cause the scene was majestic.

"Be careful now," Chase warned, assisting me down the rocks. "You might graze your feet."

We jumped on the rocks, and it felt gross.

“Do you swim?” he asked.

“Yeah, but—Chase!”

He pushed me right over and I went straight into the water. I managed to draw my wet hair back.

“Cannon ball!”

I looked up and saw him jump. Water splashed everywhere.

“Chase!” I yelled. “I like swimming but not in my new shirt!” I started getting pissed off and splashed water on his face.

“Please don’t get mad at me!” he laughed. “We just got to know each other!”

He stared upward and began to act as if I weren’t there. But before I splashed water on his face again, I looked up, too. Eventually, I had forgotten what I was about to do, and felt calmed.

Stars. I knew the last time I enjoyed staring up and just forgetting everything. At that time, as memories in memories branched out, I remembered--Mom.

“How did you fell in love with daddy?” I had asked mom while staring upward at the shiny stars. We came out sneaking on the roof at two in the morning when everyone else was asleep.

Mom and I held an intimate friendship that lasted a lifetime. She was my teddy bear to hug tight when I was scared, my shoulder to cry on when Dad had given me a sermon about my flunking grades, a friend to laugh with when I could not even smile; she had seemed more of a sister than a mom. Sitting on the roof was our favorite spot to talk. And when I was nine, I became curious with this thing they called ‘’love’’ and asked my mom, “How did you fell in love with daddy?”

“How did I fall in love?” Mom smiled. “Well, there was not really anything to fall for your father.” She laughed while I smiled. She glanced at me, and continued to speak with exaggerated gestures and excitement as if she was telling me one of her fantasy stories.

“Well, it was a rainy afternoon in Palawan*. Grey clouds crossed the sky as far as you could see. Your father was driving me home after inviting me in a party, and dusk was starting. The car suddenly stopped in the middle of nowhere. Well, it really wasn’t a nowhere. We were in the middle of the forest.” She laughed. “He tried to fix the car, but he couldn’t; it just got him all wet. So we waited for another car to pass by. But unfortunately, after five whole hours, no one came. I looked at my watch and it was almost eight in the evening. The sky was black, the rain poured and poured, and, because he was my ‘Kuya’**—being a week older than I—he told me to remain in the car while he looked for someone who might be able to help us. He told me that he had already called his friend and he would be back after fifteen minutes."

“But I was headstrong.” She laughed again. “I didn’t like it when people told me what to do. So I went charging in the rain, too. The rain didn’t seem to be a threat at all; the rain was very relaxing and gentle and it kinda tickled my cheek. I did not feel any harm so I before he went too far, I dragged him to a nearby beach. I pushed him into the water. He got wetter, and I laughed at him. He got angry at me and pulled me in the water, too. But in the end, he admitted he was having fun.'

“Thirty more minutes and I started to chill. But he hugged me and tried to keep me warm. Yeah. That’s how I fell for your father. Insane!”

Of course, I didn’t completely understand the story, but the way she told it made it memorable.

So one day, before I went off to college, I told Dad about that particular story. He smiled and gladly told his side of it:

"Your mother was very stubborn and immature. She kissed me in the storm without minding the raging rain and the possibility of a tsunami. She was confident and brave. And that’s what I loved the most about her—she was never scared.”

I had sighed when I finally came to my senses. Chase was still admiring the sky and I had to splash water at him so he would remember that I was still there.

“I’m still mad at you!” I yelled in mock furiousness. He laughed so hard, and I laughed with him. His intimidation had been finally exterminated.

Dripping wet, we walked up the boulders and collected rocks shining under the moonlight. Chase was silent. We threw the rocks in the water and wore our shoes again. His converse looked as if they have been manufactured in the last century.

“I told you not to stare,” he had inferiorly told me.

“I’m sorry,” I had replied.

When we got back to my car, he did not get in. He just bid me goodnight and left. I went back to the dormitory, feeling good. Nobody made me feel that way without giving me something presumably costly; no one in my history of fifty-eight boyfriends made me feel good with just a simple ‘’spending some time’’.

Every guy I had a relationship with was a total jerk. I had caught each of them cheating on me after two to three months. Each had promised that he would never will be with another girl, but eventually will leave me heartbroken. That was the reason why I was cautious before I gave Chase my heart. But after a couple of years, he just proved that he would never find another girl in my place. He said that himself, and he had earned my trust.

From a simple incident, complicated things had occurred; from that simple introduction of two souls came out something I never had expected to happen.

The moonlight was still shining on our countenances and the stars danced in the night sky—just like they used to. Having enough of the reminiscing in reminisces, I looked back at Chase.

“Don’t tell me you’re gonna push me over into the waters again.” I told Chase.

“I will, if you get mad at me again,” he jokingly said.

“Why would you want me to get mad at you?” I asked.

“Because,” he whispered, “you’re so cute when you’re mad.”

“That’s already sold out, Chase!”

We laughed.

“I better go home,” he kissed my forehead and hugged me. “Take care of yourself now, angel. See you tomorrow.”

I went back to the dorm, totally tired, not from walking, but from thinking. Michelle was already sound asleep. I sneaked onto my bed, and took out the necklace that Mom gave me and wore it. Then, after glancing at the night sky one more time, I closed my eyes hoping for a good night sleep--wishing that I would have those cherished memories in place of that menacing nightmare.

----------------------
* A province in Philippines
** older brother; older male friend
Last edited by Jashael on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:14 am, edited 17 times in total.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:33 pm
SporkPunk says...

Hey there Jash! Sporky here as requested. :)

Grammar and stuff:

"No." I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms."

Just a typo here, but you don't need the last quotation mark, which I highlighted in red. : )

You're father's just--have his own needs."

Here, I think you want to change "have" to "has" for subject verb agreement.

“Derek says he’s coming with us,she said.

Comma after the "us." Also, when using dialogue, you don't capitalize the personal pronoun after the quotation. These corrections are highlighted in red.

I just shrugged my shoulders in perfunctory.

Perfunctory what? Perfunctory can't be used as a noun; it's an adjective. You need to add a noun. Or you could switch the sentence, saying, "I gave her a perfunctory shrug," or "I shrugged perfunctorily."
Or you can change the word to its noun form, which is "perfunctoriness." But that doesn't sound all that good.

Michelle pointed through the glass walls to show that she was referring to real frozen mini spheres. It’s beginning to snow.

Tense switch here. "It was," rather than "It's."

“Mommy! I made my fiwst snow angel!” I exclaimed to Mom when I was six.

When you do a flashback, you need to use the past perfect tense, "I had exclaimed." Also, I don't really know the nature of six year old kids, but I don't think they pay enough attention to denote something as the first time they succeeded. I dunno, it just struck me as odd.

she made a “big-guy” snow angel than I did.

What? "Than" is used for comparison, but I can't tell what you're trying to compare.

Sunshine--or as I call her, Yuenish, my inevitably boring sister,

Word choice? How is it unavoidable/inescapable that your MC's character was boring? (Also, I have a cousin named Sunshine. :smt001)

Plot:
Okay, so I like how this is from Snow's perspective. I was kind of wondering about her. She seems like an interesting character. I also like that you gave more background on not only Yue and Snow, but also Chase. However, I think maybe you could divulge details without coming right out and stating them point blank. That would make your piece more dynamic, and much more enjoyable. You already do that by using a Filipino province name, and I'm assuming, a Filipino word, which shows the reader about Snow's parents' past, which is great! Just try that approach more. I still don't really know what's going on, but I'd like to know about this Glaze person...what do they have to do with the story?

Overall:
I think, grammatically, this has improved from the first chapter. There are still some mistakes, and I didn't cover them all, because it was mainly a lot or repeat mistakes. Plot-wise, I'm interested, but the paragraphs where you spill side characters' life stories should be reworked somehow, since they seem kind of...out of place, and it breaks your flow.

If you have any questions, PM me, or post on my wall. Also, if you ever need another review, just stop by my wall. Or go to my WRFF thread. :D

Keep Writing!

Sporky
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:47 pm
Talulahbelle says...

Hey there! Ummm.... this is very hard for me to review. I feel like there is something about it that I can't put my finger on. On reading that English is not your first language, it makes a little more sense to me. Your plot is very interesting and such, but its hard to read because your phrasing is a little off. I think as you continue to work on your english, this will improve. I hope I don't sound like a jerk - its just that its lacking a natural flow. If that makes any sense. But I think all this will come to you in time.
Sorry i couldn't give a better review.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

319 Reviews

Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:45 am
Jashael says...

Hello, everyone! I had edited it a bit. I don't know if it's better. I've somehow managed the spills. Any suggestions? :)

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
jDawn says...

Hey! Jessica here for a review!

jashbagabaldo wrote:The hail hurled everything as far as I could see.
This sounds odd to me, try wording it a bit differently, though only a suggestion :D

jashbagabaldo wrote:I loved everything that he was made of, and I always would be.
the "be" isn't nessasary. :smt003

I really loved how you showed a lot of the characters backgrounds in one chapter. I think you did an awesome job about their feelings, looks, etc. This is really good, hope to read the next chapter soon!

- Jessica
"They can put me in prison but they can't stop my face from breakin' out."

" A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:05 pm
Sins says...

Heya, jash :)

I was actually going to review this before you requested for me to do so. xD

A face that I couldn’t recognize peered through the storm. It was made of--ice.

You don't need those two little lines... Sorry for not using the proper word for them... :lol: You know what I mean though, right?

The storm yielded a way to a massive ice wall. I looked intently at where she was pointing until my vision came to a focus.

Before me a blonde girl floated unconsciously, acting as a prisoner in the block of ice.

“Glaze, there is nothing to fear of, my dear.”

I started to scream inside of me, if only I had the strength, I would have been screaming out loud.

She sighed and said, “we’re not gonna waste this weekend! Go and take a bath now! I want to have some fun today ‘cos tomorrow is for sure excruciating.”

Every time Derek would hang around with us, Michelle would always be caught up in a cloud leading to loven—love heaven—“where all love indulged people live in harmony.” She was to be blamed all right! Derek was just one of those arrogant jerks who thought money could buy everything: great looks, plus flunking grades. Whatever. The thing is, I'd be left out again—so much for a fun-filled weekend.

You had quite a lot of tense issues here. As a whole though, so far, your tenses are actually very good.

I sat there because I could always shift my eyes to watch people and cars outside when Michelle had something boring to say. I was getting ready for: "Oh, Snowy, Mozart's Symphony 40 in G minor is so amazing!" Like I ever cared how great that Mow-tsart with his freakin' white wigs was.

“I just want to take a stroll around the mall, I mean, simply bonding.” She grinned and raised her eyebrows at us, hoping we would all agree.

Sounds boring, doesn’t it? But when I was with Chase, nothing was boring.

Chase was an ordinary person who, I believe, really was not ordinary. He worked in a cashier in Pizza O’ Parkers, a fast-food restaurant only six blocks away from the dorm. But I honestly believed that he also worked in a bar--at some time--to get more money, and he just wouldn't tell me. Working part-time cashier and part-time bartender, sometimes, I felt so sorry for him.

--- New paragraph here ---

His father had left his family a year ago, leaving him to make a living for his little brother and his mother who had colon cancer. He had to work for his family since. And he gave everything he earned to them, despite his own needs. That iwas the reason why he deserved the scholarship he got from Julliard University.

--- New paragraph here ---

Yes, we both studied in Julliard, and there we had met each other. There, we realized that there was something that pulled us closer each day. And even though he believed that there was a big chasm between our two different worlds, that fact did not stop me from falling in love with him. He was unselfish, contented, hard-working, and everything I could ever want. I loved everything that he was made of, and I always would be.

He sounds pretty perfect... x3

“You said that your mother needs a chemo therapy,” I explained. “Don’t worry,” I assured him, “I really don’t need that amount of money anyway.”

I sighed. “Remember about how down you were about not getting anything for my birthday?”

I watched until memories aroused from the scene.

I could never forget it because it was true; my sister was presumably quiet and ascetic, but on the inside, she was insane. I read one of her correspondence book queries (yeah, I hacked her e-mail account) and it was about a teenage proxy. She should have been writing satirical novels about politics if you would guess her accounts on her attitude y'know. And they called me immature!

Chase held me closer into his arms, so close I could hear the beat of his heart. I could remember clearly how I met him.

The guy was apparently Chase, a classmate of mine who I had never had talked to before. He was very timid at that time, and I was obviously stupid enough to think he was rich like us; one thing Derek forgot to tell me about him was that he was one of those young men from a slum alley downtown, who was talented enough to get a scholarship from Julliard. So, I used to treat him like a wealthy guy, which probably degraded him. Anyway, it was a very humiliating incident when I found out he was not rich.

We hadn't had any dinner that night so we went to Pizza O’ Parkers.

Chase walked up to me and smiled. I beamed back and recognized his tattered Converse shoes.

*Thinks back to my review you gave me* So that's where you used tattered converse. Woop! Go matching descriptions! xD

“Then why the hell have you taken me here?” I asked furiously.

I find Snow's reaction here kind of weird... a bit melodramatic. Would she really be furious because he didn't take her to his home?

“How did you fall in love with daddy?” I had asked Mom while staring upward at the shiny stars.

And when I was nine, I became curious with this thing they called ‘’love’’ and asked my mom, “How did you fall in love with daddy?”

Of course, I didn’t completely understand the story, but the way she told it made it memorable.

"Your mom was very stubborn and immature. She kissed me in the storm without minding the raging rain and the possibility of a tsunami. She was confident and brave. And that’s what I loved the most about her—she was never scared.”

His converse looked as if they has been manufactured in the last century.

Each had promised that they would never will be with another girl, but they would eventually will leave me heartbroken.

Overall

I very much enjoyed this chapter, jash. :) I'm definitely going to have less to critique about this chapter, which is certainly a good thing for you. Although you do have quite a few characters, each one of them have different personalities, so well done for that. There are still some aspects that have a couple of them edging on a little bit too perfect, but it's a lot better than the impression I got in the first chapter. It isn't much of a problem at all anymore, if I'm honest. Your grammar was also very good in this chapter and so was your spelling. Your vocabulary was still better than mine too... :lol:

The only small, rather pathetic, critique I have for you is about the beginning. Basically, I'm a weeny bit confused. I'm not going to go into much detail about it because there's enough time for that to make sense or for you to explain it. I think it was also confusing because at the time, I didn't know that the chapter was in Snowflake's POV. What I'd advise is at the beginning of every chapter, put the name of the character's point of view. For example, int hsi case, it would look something like this.

II
Nightmare
(Snowflake)

By doing that, it will simply make it easier for the reader to know who's telling the story at the beginning of every chapter, and not have to find out when they're half way through it. As I was saying about the dream at the beginning... I'm not going to say much about it because, like I said, you have plenty of time to explain what the whole thing was about. You could say that it even adds some mystery to this. :)

Sorry this sin't a very helpful review... One last thing I'd like to say though is that I like Chases character. I think it's because he kind of reminds me of Ollie xD He comes across as rather happy and careless, he's poor, he has a sense of humour, and he clearly doesn't have an easy home life. Plus, him and Ollie have the same shoes. :lol: So yeah...I like him. Take into consideration he reviews you get, polish this up a bit, and you could end up with a really great chapter here!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:32 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey Puppets, back for another review. ^^
Before me a blonde girl floats unconsciously, acting as a prisoner in the block of ice. Her face looked troubled; her anxious expression cried out to me: ‘’Why?’’

Remember your tenses here. Floats should be floated.
Might want to reread your chapter to catch the slip-ups.
Michelle was shaking me furiously in a successful attempt to wake me up. “Snow! Why were you screaming?”

If it was successful, it would not be an attempt...right?
He worked in a cashier in Pizza O’ Parkers,

I don't think it's quite possible to work in a Cashier. But you can work as a cashier ^^

Overall, I did some vast improvement with this chapter than the previous one. Although, there are still grammatical errors considering such things such as comma placements and odd wording. However, you will improve as you write. Just be sure to catch your mistakes. Also, I suggest rereading your passage to catch little mistakes such as tense slip ups.

When I first started reading, I was thinking this was still Yuenish's POV but it's nice to see that you're interchanging them. That way, we get a closer look at your characters. Speaking of this chapter itself, if felt a bit out of the place. In fact, your plot so far is a bit messy to me. I'm not sure whether others feel the same way but it seems like you're trying to push a lot of information into it and there are times where I feel it's a bit sloppy. Try tightening your sentences together and tackle the main point of the chapter. What do you want to accomplish in this chapter? Ask yourself and then create the scene accordingly.

Alright, that's all for now. Sorry for the short review, I'm not sure what else to say. PM if you have any questions. Be waiting for the next chapter. ^^
Cheers,

~Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:28 pm
Yuriiko says...

Hello there Jash!

First off, I think I really owe you big time. I apologize for the delay of this because I got carried away with the assignments, projects and summative test that have flooded up my mind.

So I should probably zip my mouth and start on to the review.

And so I thought, there was someone who had been helping me.

A tad repetitive, since you just stated the same thing in the previous paragraph.

You're father's just

It should be "Your".

"Well, no--but, wait,"--pause--"does he know?"

This looks inappropriate. I mean, I don't think there are writers who does that.
How I would write it: "Well, no--but, wait," she paused for a while then asked, "does he know?"

Why don’t you ask Chase to come? Please???

One question mark is probably enough.

I took my phone from under my pillow and dialed Chase's number.

Two prepositions? I think you can just erase "from". It'll flow better and less awkward.

We were to meet the men there at ten thirty.

Oh. I'm going to be nitpicky on this. Saying "men" is just too... general (it's just like saying that they're going to meet old men), or something that really is awkward to read. Personally, I would change it to "guys". >.<

The only things that I could get information about winter are either books or cartoon shows,

Tense shift. It should be "were".

"What about New York Bay?" --the place we first spent some time alone.

I don't think you need those dashes.

~

You're improving, Jashy. *smiles* Anyways, there are just some points that I want to clarify. First of all, you do a lot of flashbacks. I mean if ever you write flashbacks, be sure to place them on the right place and time, and be also sure that they complement well with the chapter and how it is connected. Also, you tend to shift your tenses a lot, but that's not really a big problem. Just so remember, if you want your verbs are all in past tense, then stick to it the whole piece. Grammatically speaking, I kind of like this, I don't really care about the length, rather the quality. Your spellings are just right and so with your vocabulary, I'm quite impressed with it. However, there are just some slight instances wherein you misused your punctuations, especially with the dash or hyphen. I think there are threads here on YWS that can help you understand and learn the proper usage of punctuations. Also, there are some phrases that are worded awkwardly, so just try to fix them out.

As with the story plot, I think it's good. The relationship between each characters are really realistic, so you deserve a clap for that, Jash. Your main character's thoughts and feelings are popping out in the story very well. All in all, I thank you for the good read. And I'm sorry if there are any repetitions since I don't really have much time to read the critiques above me. So, I hope this is worth the wait. And I seek for your forgiveness if ever I was harsh or being too nitpicky. Hope I helped and PM me for questions. :D

Keep writing!

Peace out,
Yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

319 Reviews

Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:46 pm
Jashael says...

jashbagabaldo wrote:Click here to join my page for my first ever novel, The Lockets, or else live with the harassing guilt of declining a simple request by an aspiring writer named Jash Bagabaldo. Okay, if that threat didn't work, I'll just say: "PLEASE?" *Pretty eyes* =)

To everyone who read the first chapter:
Spoiler! :
Hello, whoever you are, I'm sorry if this isn't so good. It's just a draft I found in my D://drive...sooo Thanks if you'd take the time to read it. :)

Oh, and you might get confused bout the view of the chapter. I'm not saying anything. All I'm saying is I want you to think, so there. Sorry for being confusing. LOL

II
Nightmare

The hail hurled everything as far as I could see. The sunlight was totally blotted out by the myriads of clouds that mounted above me. The wind was so strong, I couldn’t have made it. There was a force that had helped me—a daunting force it seemed.

And so I thought, there was someone who had been helping me. A face that I couldn’t recognize peered through the storm; it was made of--ice. It held out a hand to me and said with its enchanting voice, “Glaze, my dear, give me your hand.”

“Never!” I cried out, trying my best not to collapse in the raging horror.

“But, Glaze,” said the voice, “you have already won.”

The storm yielded as she pointed out at a block of crystal.

“See?”

I tried standing bolt upright, but I was weak and was ready to collapse.

The storm yielded a way to a massive ice wall. I looked intently at where she was pointing till my vision came to a focus.

“No!” I gasped with horror.

Before me a blonde girl floated unconsciously, acting as a prisoner in the block of ice. Her face looked troubled; her anxious expression cried out to me: ‘’Why?’’

Guilt immediately held my soul.

“Please proceed, Glaze. As I have told you, you have gained your victory.” The voice was a tempter—hypnotizing. It controlled me, and I reluctantly stepped further down the sheets of ice. I stretched my hand out to touch it—but I couldn’t!

I collapsed. Some of the ice were sharp enough that I grazed my hands on them, but I didn’t care. Cowering on the ground, I tightly closed my eyes as if the disturbing images could be shut out. Opening my eyes again, I stared at the icy floor—panting, crying, and regretting.

Yuenish?! Did I do this to you?

“Glaze, there is nothing to fear, my dear.”

I clasped my hands on my ears. I started to scream inside of me, if only I had the strength, I would have been screaming out loud.

No! I wouldn’t! I couldn’t! It’s impossible! I know I’ve been a fool, but I could never hurt you, Yuenish! She’s lying! Yuenish!!! I know I’ve been a fool…

“Snowflake!” I woke up panting and doused in sweat. Michelle was shaking me furiously, successfully waking me up. “Snow! Why were you screaming?”

“I—I was?” I stammered while holding up my sweat soaked hair. I looked at it in confusion. “I can’t remember why. All I can remember is that I had a bad dream, and Yuenish was in it, that’s all.”

“Well, whatever that is, you sure startled me.” Michelle pulled my blanket away and ordered me to get up. “Well?” She paused for a moment and presumed that I knew what to say next, but her stare just left me in confusion. She sighed and said, “we’re not gonna waste this weekend! Go and take a bath now! I want to have some fun today ‘cause tomorrow is for sure excruciating.”

I stared at her for awhile. She sighed and sat beside me.

"Look, I know you're tired from your flight yesterday." She tucked my bangs behind my ear. "And I know what you're going through right now. Having a stepmother is--hard to accept, I know. Your father just--has his own needs."

"And that includes marrying my sister's boyfriend's mother?" I bluntly asked.

"Well, no--but, wait,"--pause--"does he know?"

"That is so weird."

Her phone began to ring, and I was left on my bed still a bit perplexed with my nightmare. Michelle came back grinning and squirming around like a total nutcase.

“Guess what?” she asked.

I just shrugged.

“Derek says he’s coming with us,” she said.

Every time Derek would hang around with us, Michelle would always be caught up in a cloud leading to loven—love heaven—“where all love indulged people live in harmony.” She was to be blamed alright! Derek was just one of those arrogant jerks who thought money could buy everything: great looks, plus flunking grades. Whatever. The thing is, I’ll be left out again—so much for a fun-filled weekend.

“Oh cheer up, Snow,” Michelle sat beside me, “I promise this day will be great. Why don’t you ask Chase to come? Please?”

I flopped up on the bed and started clipping up my hair.

“Fine.” I grabbed my phone under my pillow and dialed Chase's number. "But if he's busy or something, don't expect me to come." The ringing stopped. “Hey, Chase. Wanna hang out with us today? Come along with Derek.”

“Okay, bye.”

“What did he say?”Michelle excitedly asked.

“Yes, duh…” I answered, and then she shrieked. I rolled my eyes and ordered her to just get dressed.

We drove to the mall at nine in the morning and had breakfast in Starbucks. We were to meet the men there at ten thirty. I ordered a green tea Frappuccino and, facing Michelle and the busy streets of New York, sat in front of the glass doors. I sat there because I could always shift my eyes to watch people and cars outside when Michelle has something boring to say. I was getting ready for: "Oh, Snowy, Mozart's Symphony 40 in G minor is so amazing!" Like I ever cared how great that Mow-tsart with his freakin' white wigs were.

I sipped down half of my drink when I saw Derek and Chase entering.

“There they are.” I pointed out to Michelle.

“Derek!” she called out.

Two men swaggered in our direction. They were both in a haughty gait and seemed like mocking macho men. But as they came closer, I noticed for the first time that there was a remarkable difference in their countenances: Derek had a fiercely handsome face with his chin always held up high in the air, while Chase had somewhat a humble look—angel type.

Chase sat and smiled, his hair drawn to the right and covering one of his blue eyes. He kissed my cheek then stretched an arm around me. Derek took a seat beside Michelle.

“Yo, Snowy.” Derek threw an airy look at me. “How’s it goin'?”

“Oh, shut up, Derek! I told you never to call me ‘Snowy’, only Mitch has the right to call me that.”

We laughed. Then Derek dragged Chase to the counter to order beverages.

The boys were momentarily back.

“So, guys, what are we gonna do?” Derek asked while slicing a piece of his cake with a fork. He took a glance around, looking at each one of us, then stared at Michelle. “How ‘bout you, babe?”

Michelle giggled, resting her elbows on the table and her chin on her palms. “I just want to take a stroll around the mall, I mean, simply bonding.” She grinned and raised her eyebrows at us, hoping if we would all agree.

I shrugged my shoulders then looked at Chase. He beamed at me. Guess, we all conceded with Michelle.

We roamed around the mall and just talked. Sounds boring, doesn’t it? But when I was with Chase, nothing was boring.

As we walked, Derek wrapped his arm around Michelle’s waist and strode faster so that he and she could talk.

Chase didn’t do the same with me, though I wish he did, so I just hugged myself, taking glances of him and remembering how we came to know each other.

Dance.

We shared the same passion for dancing, and that paved the way for our relationship to evolve to something more.

Chase was an ordinary person who, I believe, really was no ordinary. He worked as a cashier in Pizza O’ Parkers, a fast-food restaurant only six blocks away from the dorm. But I honestly believed that he also worked in a bar--at some time--to get more money, and he just wouldn't tell me. Working part-time cashier and part-time bartender, sometimes, I felt so sorry for him.

His father had left his family a year ago, leaving him to make a living for his little brother and his mother who had colon cancer. He gave everything he earned to them, despite his own needs. That was the reason why he deserved the scholarship he got from Julliard University.

Yes, we both studied in Julliard, and there we had met each other. There, we realized that there was something that pulled us closer each day. And even though he believed that there was a big chasm between our two different worlds, that fact did not stop me from falling in love with him. He was unselfish, contented, hard-working, and everything I could ever want. I loved everything that he was made of, and I always would.

“What?” Chase asked with his charming smile.

“Nothing.” I smiled back. He pulled me in his arm--finally.

“What is it?” he asked.

“You said that your mother needs chemo therapy,” I explained. “Don’t worry,” I assured him, “I really don’t need that amount of money anyway.”

He handed me back the cheque and held me by the waist. He was getting more serious when I insisted him to take it but still refused to. Sometimes I fell it was pride that was making him decline my offers.

“Well, you don’t have to,” I said, holding back his chest and stopping his walk. “Take the cheque. That’s what I want you to give me for a gift—a chance to help someone in need.” I smiled and tried putting the paper back in his hand. “Please?”

“Snowflake!” Michelle exclaimed, interrupting the intoxicating moment.

“Yes?” I asked, a bit furiously.

“No,” she said. “Look outside! Snowflake!”

Michelle pointed through the glass walls to show that she was referring to real frozen mini spheres. It was beginning to snow.

I held Chase by the hand, and we leisurely walked outside, staring at the falling frost. I watched till memories aroused from the scene.

“Mommy! I made my fiwst snow angel!” I had exclaimed to Mom when I was six.

It was true. I spent my childhood in a country where only two seasons exists: wet or dry. But I had been always interested about snow. After all, wasn’t I named ‘’Snowflake’’? The only things that I could get information about winter were either books or cartoon shows, and I often imitated what I had learned. So, when I was six, I took out about fifteen rolls of tissue and tore them into lots and lots of pieces.

“Mommy, look at me!”

I could remember how Mom had laughed and joined me; she even made a “big-guy” (bigger) snow angel than I did. Then she tickled me, and I felt cheated and started screaming.

Sunshine, or as I call her, Yuenish, my inevitably boring sister, was sitting in a corner reading a book. She was interrupted by our shrieks and laughs and charged at us.

“Mother, Snow, you’re wasting trees,” she had lectured us. Yes, I know, a six-year-old kid lecturing her mother that she was wasting trees.

Mom didn’t mind her sermon and commanded, “Get her!”

We both grabbed Yuenish and started tickling her in an enormous quantity of ripped paper. She laughed and laughed and was palpably enjoying it.

“Oh, Sunshine, when will you ever grow down?” Mom had gagged; I laughed. “You’re just like your father.” Mom continued. She turned to me and whispered, “Ostensibly, serious, but inside is thinking of something crazy.”

I would still laugh at her remark. I could never forget it because it was true; my sister was presumably quiet and ascetic, but on the inside, she was insane. I read one of her correspondence book queries (yeah, I hacked her e-mail account) and it was about a teenage proxy. She should have been writing satirical novels about politics if you would guess her accounts on her attitude y'know. And they called me immature!

"Gotta go!" Derek exclaimed, breaking my reverie.

I grunted at them as he and Michelle walked away.

"No, thanks, angel. Let's just go somewhere--refreshing and quiet."

"What about New York Bay?" the place we first spent some time alone.

"Seems nice," he said.

I drove us to Lower New York Bay, and we started to stroll by the waters with my hand in his. The stars twinkled above us; yachts were in sight. They were quiet like everything else around us. Freezing breezes blew. Chase held me closer into his arms, so close I could hear the beat of his heart. I could remember clearly how I met him.

I met him because of one boring summer afternoon. Derek invited Michelle and me to go out with him because he was bringing a new guy with us. The guy was apparently Chase, a classmate of mine who I had never talked to before. He was very timid at that time, and I was obviously stupid enough to think he was rich like us; one thing Derek forgot to tell me about him was that he was one of those young men from a slum alley downtown who was talented enough to get a scholarship from Julliard. So, I used to treat him like a wealthy guy, which probably degraded him. Anyway, it was a very humiliating incident when I found out he was not rich.

It was on a Saturday midnight. Michelle and I were watching rented DVD’s. We hadn't had any dinner that night so we went to Pizza O’ Parkers. It was the nearest restaurant with good food and twenty-four-hours service.

“Welcome to Pizza O’ Parkers, Ma’am, can I take your order?” the employee at the drive-thru booth asked me.

The voice, the cute face, and the cheerful smile were all too familiar. I was in shock to see him there, taking orders from hungry customers when I thought he was filthy rich like me. I gaped at him.

“Ma’am, can I please take your order?” he repeated.

The hat with a pizza riding a car imprinted on it slanted down to the right of his blond hair and complemented his humble face.

“Chase?” I hesitantly asked.

Michelle pushed me back and squinted at him. “Oh my gosh, Chase?!” She leaned back in the car and remained silent.

“Sorry, but we don’t sell ‘Chase Pizza’, please check the menu,” he said good-naturedly. He stuck out his hand and pointed downward at the big poster below him.

I dug down my pocket and found a hundred dollar bill. I felt embarrassed holding it up against Chase’s face. I didn't want to look as if I was rubbing in, but, honestly, it was all that had had.

“Your change ma’am—$94.01 dollars. Thank you for coming. Please drive through again.” He handed out my money and yelled at the next customer, “Next please!”

Michelle and I got our pizza at the next booth and, after parking in front of the restaurant, we ate in the car.

“I can’t finish it.” I laid a half-sliced pizza back in the box.

“What’s the prob, Snowy?” Michelle looked intently at me and began to scream. “Oh my gosh! I knew it!”

“What?”

“You like him!”

“No, Mitch!”

“Tell you what,” she stepped out of the car, “I’m gonna ride a cab home while you wait for him.”

“What?!”

She opened the car door and slammed it in on my face.

"Mitch!"

I rolled up the window and sighed. Holding the wheel with both of my hands, I waited for Chase’s shift to end.

At three in the morning, I finally saw him wearing a plain green shirt and torn-out jeans--casual clothes, and not that annoying pink and green uniform. I speedily looked at the rear mirror and smiled to check if I had anything stuck between my teeth. None. Taking a deep breath, I rolled down the window again.

“Don’t mind the shoes. Dirty look is totally in. Try to disagree with me,” he said, leaning forward.

“I won’t,” I said, as I squeezed myself into the passenger's seat.

“Do you have a driving license?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Drive yourself home.”

He smiled and sat in the car. But instead of bringing me to his home, he took me to the bay and parked my car.

“You live here?” I had asked, baffled.

“No.”

“Then why the hell did you take us here?” I asked, quite amused.

He laughed and went out of the car. I couldn't remember why I followed him, but I went out of the car anyway. And when I did, he then took my arm, and, taking off his shoes, he told me to take mine off, too. He dragged me further down the bay. The muddy rocks didn't feel uncomfortable though, and I didn't mind 'cause the scene was majestic.

"Be careful now," Chase warned, assisting me down the rocks. "You might graze your feet."

We jumped on the rocks, and it felt gross.

“Do you swim?” he asked.

“Yeah, but—Chase!”

He pushed me right over and I went straight into the water. I managed to draw my wet hair back.

“Cannon ball!”

I looked up and saw him jump. Water splashed everywhere.

“Chase!” I yelled. “I like swimming but not in my new shirt!” I started getting pissed off and splashed water on his face.

“Please don’t get mad at me!” he laughed. “We just got to know each other!”

He stared upward and began to act as if I weren’t there. But before I splashed water on his face again, I looked up, too. Eventually, I had forgotten what I was about to do, and felt calmed.

Stars. I knew the last time I enjoyed staring up and just forgetting everything. At that time, as memories in memories branched out, I remembered--Mom.

“How did you fell in love with daddy?” I had asked mom while staring upward at the shiny stars. We came out sneaking on the roof at two in the morning when everyone else was asleep.

Mom and I held an intimate friendship that lasted a lifetime. She was my teddy bear to hug tight when I was scared, my shoulder to cry on when Dad had given me a sermon about my flunking grades, a friend to laugh with when I could not even smile; she had seemed more of a sister than a mom. Sitting on the roof was our favorite spot to talk. And when I was nine, I became curious with this thing they called ‘’love’’ and asked my mom, “How did you fell in love with daddy?”

“How did I fall in love?” Mom smiled. “Well, there was not really anything to fall for your father.” She laughed while I smiled. She glanced at me, and continued to speak with exaggerated gestures and excitement as if she was telling me one of her fantasy stories.

“Well, it was a rainy afternoon in Palawan*. Grey clouds crossed the sky as far as you could see. Your father was driving me home after inviting me in a party, and dusk was starting. The car suddenly stopped in the middle of nowhere. Well, it really wasn’t a nowhere. We were in the middle of the forest.” She laughed. “He tried to fix the car, but he couldn’t; it just got him all wet. So we waited for another car to pass by. But unfortunately, after five whole hours, no one came. I looked at my watch and it was almost eight in the evening. The sky was black, the rain poured and poured, and, because he was my ‘Kuya’**—being a week older than I—he told me to remain in the car while he looked for someone who might be able to help us. He told me that he had already called his friend and he would be back after fifteen minutes."

“But I was headstrong.” She laughed again. “I didn’t like it when people told me what to do. So I went charging in the rain, too. The rain didn’t seem to be a threat at all; the rain was very relaxing and gentle and it kinda tickled my cheek. I did not feel any harm so I before he went too far, I dragged him to a nearby beach. I pushed him into the water. He got wetter, and I laughed at him. He got angry at me and pulled me in the water, too. But in the end, he admitted he was having fun.'

“Thirty more minutes and I started to chill. But he hugged me and tried to keep me warm. Yeah. That’s how I fell for your father. Insane!”

So one day, before I went off to college, I told Dad about that particular story. He smiled and gladly told his side of it:

"Your mother was very stubborn and immature. She kissed me in the storm without minding the raging rain and the possibility of a tsunami. She was confident and brave. And that’s what I loved the most about her—she was never scared.”

I had sighed when I finally came to my senses. Chase was still admiring the sky and I had to splash water at him so he would remember that I was still there.

“I’m still mad at you!” I yelled in mock furiousness. He laughed so hard, and I laughed with him. His intimidation had been finally exterminated.

Dripping wet, we walked up the boulders and collected rocks shining under the moonlight. Chase was silent. We threw the rocks in the water and wore our shoes again. His converse looked as if they have been manufactured in the last century.

“I told you not to stare,” he had inferiorly told me.

“I’m sorry,” I had replied.

When we got back to my car, he did not get in. He just bid me goodnight and left. I went back to the dormitory, feeling good. Nobody made me feel that way without giving me something presumably costly; no one in my history of fifty-eight boyfriends made me feel good with just a simple ‘’spending some time’’.

Every guy I had a relationship with was a total jerk. I had caught each of them cheating on me after two to three months. Each had promised that he would never will be with another girl, but eventually will leave me heartbroken. That was the reason why I was cautious before I gave Chase my heart. But after a couple of years, he just proved that he would never find another girl in my place. He said that himself, and he had earned my trust.

From a simple incident, complicated things had occurred; from that simple introduction of two souls came out something I never had expected to happen.

The moonlight was still shining on our countenances and the stars danced in the night sky—just like they used to. Having enough of the reminiscing in reminisces, I looked back at Chase.

“Don’t tell me you’re gonna push me over into the waters again.” I told Chase.

We laughed.

“I better go home,” he kissed my forehead and hugged me. “Take care of yourself now, angel. See you tomorrow.”

I went back to the dorm, totally tired, not from walking, but from thinking. Michelle was already sound asleep. I sneaked onto my bed, and took out the necklace that Mom gave me and wore it. Then, after glancing at the night sky one more time, I closed my eyes hoping for a good night sleep--wishing that I would have those cherished memories in place of that menacing nightmare.

----------------------

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:11 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Jash,

Back for a review! First of all, congrats on this chapter, I really enjoyed it. I really like Snow's 'voice' in this one. I like her thoughts a lot better than Sun's who seems very boring in comparison. Be careful with that, though, that your readers won't be skipping Sun's part to head to the more interesting Snow, especially since Sun's chapter was so confusing. But I believe you can balance them out wonderfully :D

As for nitpicks, I have issues with the next few quotes. They make Snow look like a real rich b****h.

He was very timid at that time, and I was obviously stupid enough to think he was rich like us;
How shallow of her to be 'stupid' enough to think otherwise.I know she must be used to it, but I really disliked the use of that word. Maybe say, "I automatically assumed" or something because this makes it look like all she's into is a rich guy.

So, I used to treat him like a wealthy guy, which probably degraded him. Anyway, it was a very humiliating incident when I found out he was not rich.
How exactly does one 'treat' a wealthy guy? She expects him to pay for her or something? If yes, this should be mentioned. Also, humiliating for whom? Her or him? That also should be specified. I mean, if she had expected him to pay and he'd found a way out of it and she was angry, or maybe that he really did pay and she realised that he had no money to spend on her or something. That would make sense.

She's embarrassed, but really, she's making a big deal out of nothing. He already knew she was rich, and I feel like this is pushing it too far, but maybe it's just me.

Ok, big issues with this one. If she recognised them, then she'd noticed them before. If they were tattered, would she still assume he was filthy rich? And hadn't she seen him only once? Why notice the Converse in the first place? Was there anything special about them?

All that being said, I really enjoyed this chapter. I enjoyed both Snow and Chase's voice. I like the easy relationship between the two and I can't wait to read more chapters. Let me know when you post the next?

Tanya :D

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:00 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey there Jash! Sorry it took me so long, when you had reviewed my piece instantly. Thanks for that and I am here now! :)

My first point here would be that after a brilliant chapter opening you kinda disappointed us here. There were some questions that were answered, but other than that I really didn't get that 'wow' feeling which I guess I should have. If we talk of the dream, I couldn't feel what probably you had wanted us all to feel. Maybe that's because the words, the emotions simply didn't reach to me. I couldn't understand the purpose of the whole dream, but I think it would be out in the forthcoming chapters, so I won't go on droning on this. I won't say re-write the dream maybe because it was just me that had problems with it. So just try to insert some good words from your very good vocabulary, and secondly please do make me feel all that she is going through.

My other nit-pick has to be that you were totally not describing in this chapter. I mean they went to the mall, then to the beach. This could have turned out to be a very romantic scene but it failed to. So, I guess that's where the problem stood for me the whole time. No descriptions. Sorry, I don't mean no descriptions, but yeah they were as good as no descriptions. Sorry, if I'm too harsh. But it is all so you could grow up as a writer. I liked the scene when they splash water at each other, it was maybe the most well described till here. But if you ask me, you could add in more there.

Your grammar is pretty fine and I sometimes wonder if English is your first language. The other point I have in my mind is that your characters remember their mom and speak of her a lot. Of course, they do feel her around, want to be with her and quite often remember her, but you don't have to bring her scenes every often. You could give the readers some break and what I think is that your flashbacks are getting too much. So just watch out for them, girl! You can definitely work on this chapter, try to make it better and less of info-dump. Just try that. And yeah, I was the first one to like the chapter-1 but I am not clicking 'like' here because I know your potential to do something better than this. So work on the chapter and I am really sorry, brother, if I was too harsh. Just forgive me! *don't complain it to mom and dad. They'd surely ground me*.

The Mall Scene: I have already made myself clear that this scene had a lot of scope, but it somewhere hid behind the telling thing you had in here. Generally you show us what is happening, but now it wasn't that way. I really wanted to know how it looked all around in the mall, where and what they ate. You don't have to indulge in all these details if you don't wanna, but it was just a suggestion for you. But even if you don't want to give away these silly details, then you oughta be more precise in what they do. That's what I felt-remember, this is my personal opinion and you need to experiment on it only and only if you agree with me.

The Character's Name: As Skins has said earlier that the names seem a bit weird to me-Chase, Cloud, Sunshine, Snowflake etc. They seem the names of characters from some fantasy realm, which I think right now isn't, but not sure of later on. If this is really important for your story and character development, then go ahead, but generally I won't stand on street and get introduced by some one named Sunshine. lol.
~Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

319 Reviews

Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:27 am
Jashael says...

Sister, I understand... you hate Snowflake. >=)) hahah

BUT I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE THINK THEIR NAMES ARE WEIRD! The only weird name is Snow's, I mean, there's a bunch of people whose name is Sunshine! :O at least, here in the Philippines. XD And Cloud, well there's the guy from Final Fantasy who's yeah..whatever LOL ahhh...and Chase? I have a cousin whose name is Chase! Plus ChaCe Crawford whatever LOOOOOL I just don't understand, haha the only weird one is Snowflake. O_o

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:46 pm
Tigersprite says...

jashbagabaldo wrote:
II
Nightmare

The hail hurled everything as far as I could see. Did you mean: 'The hail was coming down everywhere.' And isn't the hail hurting our MC? The sunlight was totally blotted out by the myriads of clouds that mounted above me. 1) Blotted out makes me think of pens and ink. It doesn't really replace hidden or covered very well. 2) By using the word cloud, we have gathered that they are obviously in the sky. Adding that mounted above me doesn't only sound weird, it's totally unnecessary. Try this: 'The sun was hidden behind a myriad of clouds.' The wind and hail were wasso strong, I couldn’t have made it the journey on my own. There was a force that had helped me—a daunting force it seemed. Daunting doesn't mean what you think it means. And this sentence mixes up the tense you are using. So say this instead: It almost seemed as if some force was helping me.

And soas I thought, there was for emphasis ;) someone who had been helping me. A face that I couldn’tdidn't recognize peeredappeared through amidst the storm; it was made of-- these dashes are unnecessary ice. It held out a hand to me and said with its in an enchanting voice, “Glaze, my dear, give me your hand.”

“Never!” I cried out, trying my best not to collapse in the raging horror Erm...what? What rage? What horror? Did you mean: not to collapse in the biting cold?.

“But, Glaze,” said the voice, “you have already won.” Won what, exactly? The lottery?

The storm yieldedlessened/disappeared when you say yielded, it's almost as if it was fighting something as she pointed out at a block of crystal In a field of ice? That's going to be fairly hard to see. And how did the voice become a she instead of an it?.

“See?” No. Sorry, don't mind this comment. :wink:

I tried standing boltupright, but I was weak and was ready to collapse. I thought she had been trudging through the snow? Are you telling me she was just sitting on the ground in the middle of a storm?

The storm yielded a way to a massive ice wall. What does this mean? You already said the storm has gone, now it's like your trying to use it as a curtain or something. And what does an ice wall have to do with anything? I thought the mysterious helper was showing her a crystal? I looked intently at where she was pointing till my vision came to a focus. So her vision was not in focus before, but she was able to see the mysterious helper clearly, she was able to see the block of crystal, and she was able to notice that the sun was hidden behind clouds (come to think of it, she shouldn't even have been able to see the sky what with the storm). You should scrap this part.

“No!” I gasped with horror at....

Before me a blonde girl floated unconsciously, acting as a prisoner in the block of ice She was floating...in ice. You can't float in ice. You're just frozen. . Her face looked troubled; her anxious expression cried out to me: ‘’Why?’’

Guilt immediately held my soul. Why?

“Please proceed, Glaze. As I have told you, you have gained your victory.” The voice was a tempter—hypnotizing tempting and hypnotizing. It controlled me, and I reluctantlystepped further down the sheets of ice You didn't mention she was on a hill. I stretched my hand out to touch it touch what?—but I couldn’t!Just use a full stop instead of an exclamation mark.

I collapsed Why? If she was being controlled, why would she stop?. Some of the ice were sharp enough that I grazed my hands on them, are you actually saying she was walking on ice? Because then she would be going extremely slowly. Why don't you use snow instead? but I didn’t care. Cowering on the ground, I tightlyclosed my eyes as if the disturbing images could be to shut out the image. Opening my eyes again, I stared at the icy floor—panting, crying if it's cold enough that a body of water has turned to ice (as her walking on ice implies) her tears should almost instantly turn to ice, and regretting.

Yuenish?! Did I do this to you? I'm still not sure what that means.

“Glaze, there is nothing to fear, my dear.” Does the helper say this?

I clasped my hands on over my ears. I started to scream inside of me, this doesn't really make any sense if only I had the strength, I would have been screaming out loud.

No! I wouldn’t! I couldn’t! It’s impossible! I know I’ve been a fool, but I could never hurt you, Yuenish! She’s lying! Yuenish!!! I know I’ve been a fool… Wouldn't what? Couldn't what? This is just getting more confusing by the minute.

“Snowflake!” I woke up panting and doused in sweat. Michelle was shaking me furiously,successfully trying to waking wake me up and succeeding. “Snow! Why were you screaming?”

“I—I was?” I stammered while holding up my sweat soaked hair Sweat-soaked hair? Why would her hair be sweating? Your hair doesn't sweat and neither (in my experience) does your scalp. And why did she hold her hair anyway?. I looked at it in confusion Don't you mean she looked at Michelle in confusion? Why would she look at her hair in confusion? . “I can’t remember why. All I can remember is that I had a bad dream, and Yuenish was in it, that’s all.”

“Well, whatever that is, you sure startled me.” Michelle pulled my blanket away and ordered me to get up.

New paragraph.“Well?” Does Michelle say this? She paused for a moment and presumed that I knew what to say next, but her stare just left me in confusion. This is a bit random. She sighed and said, “We’re not gonna waste this weekend! Go and take a bath now! I want to have some fun today ‘cause tomorrow is for sure excruciating.” Did you mean: because tomorrow will be busy? Using excruciating doesn't really make sense. And what's going to happen tomorrow, exactly?

I stared at her for awhile awhile means for a while. But because you've already used for, use a while instead of awhile . She sighed again and sat beside me.

"Look, I know you're tired from your flight yesterday." She tucked my bangs behind my ear. "And I know what you're going through right now. Having a stepmother is-- ellipsis. Not dashes hard to accept, I know. You're father's just--ellipsis again. he has his own needs Why is this italicized?."

"And that includes marrying my sister's boyfriend's mother?" I bluntly asked. You know, come to think of it, if Sunshine was dating Cloud, wouldn't the both of them have noticed their parents spending so much time together? I mean it's difficult not to notice, especially if all Sunshine's dad's friends knew.

"Well, no--but, wait,"--pause--"does he know?" "Well, no but...wait." She stopped and looked at me quizzically. "Does your dad know?"

"That is so weird."

Her phone began to ring, and I was left on my bed still a bit perplexed with confused by my nightmare. Michelle came back grinning and squirming around like a total nutcase.

“Guess what?” she asked.

I justshrugged.

“Derek says he’s coming with us,” she said. Who?

Every time Derek would hang hung around with us, Michelle would always be got caught up in a cloud leading to loven—love heaven—“where all love indulged people live in harmony.” what on Earth does this mean? It would have been a lot simpler to just say she didn't notice anyone else. And the in the strikeouts above, you were mixing up your tenses again. She was to be blamed alright! Blamed for what? Derek was just one of those arrogant jerks who thought money could buy everything: great looks, plus flunking grades He thought money could buy bad grades? I think you phrased this sentence wrong. Whatever. The thing is was, I’llI'd be left out again—so much for a fun-filled weekend.

“Oh cheer up, Snow,” Michelle sat said as she sat beside me again, “I promise this day will be great. Why don’t you ask Chase to come? Please???Don't use three question marks. Only ever use one.

I floppedsat up on the bed and started clipping up my hair With what? Her fingers? And wouldn't her hair go all over the bed or something? That's disgusting. Wouldn't she use a bin or do it over a sink?.

“Fine.” I stopped cutting my hair with the scissors and took my phone from under my pillow. and I dialed Chase's number.

New paragraph. "But if he's busy or something," I added, "don't expect me to come." The ringing stopped when Chase picked up.

New paragraph. “Hey, Chase. Wanna hang out with us today? Come along with Derek.” Derek's already coming along with them. So what does she mean by this?

“Okay, bye.”

I hung up.

“What did he say?”Michelle excitedlyasked.

“Yes, duh…” I answered, and then she shrieked. I rolled my eyes and orderedtold her to justget dressed.

We drove to the mall at nine in the morning That same morning? Because if so you don't need to add in the morning. And if not you need to indicate that it's a new day. and had breakfast in Starbucks. We were to meet the menboys/ guys They're not quite men, and anyway it sounds too odd after reading the kind of words Snowflake uses there at ten thirty. I ordered a green tea Frappuccino and, facing Michelle and the busy streets of New York, sat in front of the glass doors This is impossible. She wouldn't be sitting in front of the doors, because that's a stupid place to put a seat. . I sat there because I could always shift my eyes to watch people and cars outside when Michelle has had something boring nothing interesting to say. I was getting ready for: "Oh, Snowy, Mozart's Symphony 40 in G minor is so amazing!" Like I ever cared how great that Mow-tsart Why did you spell it this way? :? with his freakin' white wigs were.

I was sippedsipping down half of my drink when I saw Derek and Chase entering.

“There they are.” I pointed them out to Michelle.

“Derek!” she called out.

Two men swaggered'walked'in our direction. They were both in a haughty gait and seemed like mocking macho men. What does this mean? Either explain or scrap. But as they came closer, I noticed for the first time that there was a remarkable difference in their countenances: Derek had a fiercely handsome face with his chin always held up high in the air, while Chase had somewhat a humble look—angel type. A countenance refers to the emotion or air conveyed by a person's face. It doesn't mean their physical description.

Chase sat and smiled, his hair drawn to the right and covering one of his blue eyes free strands of his hair were tucked behind his right air, although a couple had fallen loose and covered one of his blue eyes. He kissed my cheek then stretchedwrapped an arm around me. Derek took a seat beside Michelle.

“Yo, Snowy.” Derek threw an airy looked at me. “How’s it goin'?”

“Oh, shut up, Derek!" I said in annoyance. "I told you never to call me ‘Snowy’ remove the apostrophes, only Mitch has the right to call me that.”

We laughed We? Why would Snowflake laugh?. Then Derek dragged Chase to the counter to order beverages.

The boys were momentarilysoon back.

“So, guys, what are we gonna do?” Derek asked while slicing a piece of his cake with a fork 1) You said they went to the counter for drinks. 2) It's only 9 in the morning, so wouldn't Starbucks have a breakfast menu or something? Would they really be selling cake that early? . He took a glance around, lookinged at each one of us, then stared at Michelle. “How ‘bout you, babe?”

Michelle giggled, resting her elbows on the table and her chin on her palms. “I just want to take a stroll around the mall, I mean, simply bonding.” She grinned and raised her eyebrows at us me and Chase, hoping if we would all agree almost begging us to agree.

I shrugged my shoulders then looked at Chase. He beamed at me. Guess, we all conceded with Michelle And thus we all agreed with Michelle.

As we walked, Derek wrapped his arm around Michelle’s waist and strodewalked faster so that he and she could talk.

Chase didn’t do the same with me, though I wished he did would, so I just hugged myself, taking glances ofat not of him and remembering how we camegot sounds betterto know each other.

Dance.

We shared the same passion for dancing, and that paved the way for our relationship to evolve into something more.

Chase was an ordinary person who, I believe, really was no ordinary. Simply say: Chase was an unordinary person. He worked part-time as a cashier in Pizza O’ Parkers, a fast-food restaurant only six blocks away from the dorm.But I honestly believed that he also worked in a bar--at some time--to get more money, and he just wouldn't tell me. I also strongly suspected that he worked in a bar sometimes for the extra cash, although he never confirmed this. Working part-time cashier and part-time bartender, sometimes,no comma needed I felt sosorry for him.

His father had left his family a year ago, leaving him to make a living for his little brother and his mother who had colon cancer. He gave everything he earned to them, despite his own needs. That was the reason why he deserved the scholarship he got from Julliard University. If he went to University, who looked after his mother and brother? If the family situation was so desperate as you've made it seem, he would never have left his family to go to Uni.

Yes, Makes it sound like Snowflake is now narrating the story to someone. We both studied in Julliard, and there we had met each other. There, we realized that there was something that pulled us closer each day From the day we met, are attraction was almost magnetic, pulling us closer each and every day. And even though he believed that there was a big chasm between our twodifferent worlds, that fact it did not stop me from falling in love with him. He was unselfish, contented this doesn't make sense, hard-working, and everything I could ever want. I loved everything that he was made of, and I always would.

“What?” Chase asked with his charming smile, bringing me back into the present day.

“Nothing.” I smiled back. He pulled me into his arms--finally.

“What is it?” he asked.

He handed me back the cheque and held me by the waist. He was getting more serious when I insisted him to take it but still refused to I insisted that he take the cheque, but he refused repeatedly. Sometimes I fellfelt it was pride that was making made him decline my offers.

I sighed. “Remember abouthow down you were about not getting anything for my birthday?”

“Well, you don’t have to,” I said, holding back his chest and stopping his walk putting my hand on his chest and stopping him. “Take the cheque. That’s what I want you to give me for a gift—a chance to help someone in need.” I smiled and tried putting the paper backin his hand. “Please?”

“Snowflake!” Michelle exclaimed, interrupting the intoxicatingintimate moment.

“Yes?” I asked, a bit furiously angrily. You can't be a bit furious..

“No,” she said. “Look outside! Snowflake!” She would say snowflakes, not snowflake. Correct this.

Michelle pointed through the glass walls to show that she was referring to real frozen mini spheres. It was beginning to snow. But in Chapter One, it was Autumn/ Fall and leaves were just falling off the trees. How did it become Winter so fast?

I held Chase by the hand, and we leisurely over-descriptive, doesn't make sense walked outside, staringlooking (you use staring too often) at the falling frost snow. Frost forms on a surface; it doesn't fall from the sky. I watched till until/ 'til memories aroused came to me from the scene.

“Mommy! I made my fiwst snow angel!” I had exclaimed to Mom when I was six. This is a flashback. Hence, it is written in present tense.

It was true What was true?. I spent my childhood in a country where only two seasons exists: wet or dry. But I had been always interested about snow. After all, wasn’t I named ‘’Snowflake’’ take away the inverted commas ? The only things that I could get information about winter from are either books or cartoon shows, and I often imitated what I had learned. So, when I was six, I took out about fifteen rolls of tissue and tore them into lots and lots of pieces. Put this in present tense or scrap it, because it doesn't really fit in with the concept of a flashback.

“Mommy, look at me!”

I could remember how Mom had laughed and joined me; she even made a “big-guy” (bigger) Just use bigger snow angel than I did. Then she tickled me, and I felt cheated and started screaming.

Sunshine, or as I call her, Yuenish, my inevitablyboring sister, was sitting in a corner reading a book. She was interrupted by our shrieks and laughs and charged at us.

“Mother, Snow, you’re wasting trees,” she had lecturedtold. A lecture is much longer us. Yes, I know, a six-year-old kid lecturing her mother that she was wasting trees.

Mom didn’t mind her sermon ignores her and commanded says, “Get her!”

We both grabbed Yuenish and started tickling her in an enormous quantity of ripped paper. She laughed and laughed and was palpablydid you mean probably? And anyway, her laughter clearly shows this enjoying it.

“Oh, Sunshine, when will you ever grow down?” Mom had gagged; I laughed. “You’re just like your father.” Mom continued. She turned to me and whispered, “Ostensibly Snowflake couldn't pronounce first at six, but her mother thinks that she might understand a word such as ostensibly, serious, but inside is thinking of something crazy.”
Again, change this whole thing to present tense for the sake of its being a flashback.

I would still laugh at her remark. I could never forget it because it was true; my sister was presumablyquiet and ascetic was she? What exactly is she denying herself?, but on the inside, she was insane that's a rather strong word, especially to describe your own sibling. I read one of her correspondencebook queries (yeah, I hacked her e-mail account) how did Snowflake acquire the expertise to do this? She hasn't exactly come across as someone skilled with computer technology. and it was about a teenage proxy. She should have been writing satirical novels about politics if you would guess her accounts on her attitude y'know. And they called me immature!

"Gotta go!" Derek exclaimed said, breaking myme away from my thoughts. reverie A reverie is more associated with daydreaming, but Snow was just thinking.

I gruntednodded . using grunted doesn't fit well at themhim as he and Michelle walked away.

"No, thanks, angel. Let's just go somewhere--Use an ellipsis here. Not dashes. refreshing and quiet."

"What about New York Bay?" --the place we first spent some time alone. "What about New York Bay?" It was the first place we ever spent time alone.

"Seems nice," he said.

I drove us to Lower New York Bay, and we started to strolled by the waters with my hand in his. The stars twinkled above us; yachts were in sight. Hold on a sec. They met in the Mall in the morning. All they did there was wander around, which couldn't have taken more than 30 to 45 minutes. Then Derek and Michelle left and so did they to NY Bay, which again couldn't have taken more than 30 minutes to an hour. So how did it become nighttime? They were quiet like everything else around us The area was quiet.Freezing breezes A cold breeze blew. Chase held me closerinto his arms, so close I could hear the beat of his heart. I could remembered clearly how I'd met him. Hasn't she already done this?

I met him because of one boring it obviously couldn't have been that boring if she met him that day summer afternoon. Derek invited Michelle and me to go out with him because and he said he was bringing a new guy with us along. The guy was apparently turned out to be Chase, a classmate of mine who I had never talked to before. He was very timid at that time back then, and I was obviouslystupid enough to think he was rich like us; one thing Derek forgot to tell me about him was that he was one of those young men from a slum alley downtown who was talented enough to get talented slum alley students who were able to get a scholarship from Julliard. So, I used to treat him like a wealthy guyhe was wealthy, which in hindsight probably degraded I don't think this is the right word. Try embarrassed or humiliated.him. Anyway, it was avery humiliating incident humiliating for who? Her? Chase? Both of them? when I found out he was not rich. It's a very...stupid assumption of her to think he was rich. Didn't she notice his clothes? His mannerisms? If someone is rich, they tend to show this, whether by intention or not.

It was on a Saturday midnight. Michelle and I were watching rented DVD’s. We hadn't had any dinner that night so we went to Pizza O’ Parkers 1) Very few restaurants would be open past midnight. Maybe bars, but not restaurants. Fast food pizza places wouldn't be open at that time either, though they might deliver. 2) When you've been watching DVDs late into the night, when you get hungry your first choice of a meal would not be to go to a restaurant. It would be: a) a microwave meal or some sort of snack, b) ordering something to be delivered. No one is going to get up at midnight to go to a restaurant, or fast food joint, least of all a simple pizza one. It was the nearest restaurant with good food and twenty-four-hours service 24 hours service usually means: You can go into the restaurant between 6am and 10pm. Then from 10pm to 6am the drive-thru is still open or they do deliveries..

The voice, the cute face, and the cheerful smile were all too familiar. I was inshocked to see him there, taking orders from hungrycustomers when I thought he was as filthyrich like as me. I gaped at him. You know, just because he has a job in a fast food joint doesn't mean he's poor.

“Ma’am, can I please take your order?” he repeated. Didn't he recognize her?

The hat with a pizza riding a car imprinted on it slanted down to the right of his blond hair and complemented his humble face. This sentence isn't necessary at all. All it tells us is that he works at the pizza joint, but we already know that.

“Chase?” I hesitantlyasked.

Michelle pushed me back and squinted at him. “Oh my gosh, Chase?!” She leaned back in the car and remained silent. A bit too late.

“Sorry, but we don’t sell ‘Chase Pizza’, please check the menu,” he said good-naturedly. He stuck out his hand and pointed downwardat the big poster below him.

I dug downaround in my pocket and found a hundred dollar bill. I felt embarrassed holding it up against to Chase’s face. I didn't want to look as if I was rubbing in, but, honestly, it was all that had I had She went out at midnight. Obviously, that takes a bit of preparation because not a lot of people go to by food at midnight. Surely she would have checked that she had smaller notes and some coins?.

“Your change ma’am—$94.01 dollars. Thank you for coming. Please drive through come again.” He handed outme my money and yelled at the next customer, “Next please!”

Michelle and I got our pizza at the next booth and,remove this comma after parking in front of the restaurant, we ate in the car.

“I can’t finish it.” I laid a half-slicedeaten pizza slice back in the box.

“What?”

“You like him!”

“No, Mitch!” Mitch? Who the heck is Mitch? If you mean Michelle, there's no need to mention her name.

“Tell you what,” she said as she stepped out of the car, “I’m gonna ride a cab home while you wait for him.” That's rather silly. She barely knows him. And if she let Snow use a hundred dollar bill, it's probable that she didn't have any money of her own. So how was she going to afford a cab?

“What?!”

She opened the car door and got out, shutting it. slammed it in on my face. [b]1) Slamming indicates that she was angry, which she wasn't. 2) Snow was in the driver's seat, Michelle was in the passenger's seat. If she opened the door on her side and got out, shutting that same door, she would hardly be slamming it in Snow's face.

"Mitch!" I know it's a nickname for Michelle, but Mitch just makes me think of some buff hairy guy. It's my personal opinion, but maybe you should call her 'Mishy' or just stick with Michelle.

At three in the morning You're telling me she waited three hours for him? Come on. No one waits that long. She would have gone home by now , I finally saw him emerge from the fast food restaurant, wearing a plain green shirt and torn-out jeans--casual clothes, andnot that annoying pink and green uniform Might want to mention that she saw him by the indoor light of the restaurant or something. I speedilylooked at the rear mirror and smiled to check if I had anything stuck between my teeth. None Nothing. Taking a deep breath, I rolled down the window again She did do it again, but she's been waiting such a long time that again can't be used here.

Chase walked up to me and smiled. So suddenly he recognizes her, eh? In the pitch-black darkness he was able to make her out? I beamed back and recognized his tattered Converse shoes His shoes have nothing to do with anything. And he walked up to her, thus he was probably right up to her window and she wouldn't be able to see anything but his face. And again, it's dark out. .

“Derek has been really nice lending me a newpair of shoes You don't lend something that's new, that's giving. And in the strikeout above you mentioned they were tattered, so clearly they weren't new for classes, hasn't he?” he said, leaning forward. "The dirty look is totally in. Try to disagree with me."

“I won’t,” I said, as I squeezed myself into the passenger's seat. Why? Why would she want this stranger she barely knows to drive her car?

“Do you have a driving license?” Who says this?

“Yeah, why?”

“Drive yourself home.”

“You live here?” I had you're changing tenses. This is perhaps the tense you should have used, but it's too late to start now asked, baffled.

“No.”

“Then why the hell did you takebring us here?” I asked, quite amused at what?.

He laughed and went out of the car. I couldn't remember why I followed him, but I went out of the car anyway did. And when I did, he thentook my arm, and, taking off his shoes, he toldasked me to take mine off,no comma needed here too. He dragged me further down the bay. The muddy rocks didn't feel uncomfortable though, and I didn't mind because the scene was majestic try fantastic or amazing. Now, I don't know about you, but this whole beach thing is a pretty stupid thing to do. I mean, at this point Chase is still mostly a stranger. It's three in the morning, no one knows where she is, the last person to see her was Michelle at around midnight...basically, it's a silly thing to do. Realistically he could be a murderer, a rapist; Snowflake is just coming across as a not very bright person.

"Be careful now," Chase warned, assisting me down the rocks. "You might graze your feet." I think she could do a lot worse than graze her feet. How about fall and be dashed to death amongst the rocks or be swept away by the strong current and drown?

We jumped on the rocks they were on the rocks. , and it felt gross she just said it didn't feel uncomfortable. Doesn't gross come under this?.

“Do you swim?” he asked.

“Yeah, but—Chase!”

He pushed me right over and I went straight into the water. I managed to draw my wet hair back. In the sea? What about water currents? Drowning?

“Cannonball It's one word !”

I looked up and saw him jump in. Water splashed everywhere.

“Chase!” I yelled. “I like swimming but not in my new shirt!” I started getting pissed off and splashed water on his face at him.

“Please don’t get mad at me!” he laughed. “We just got to know each other!” Exactly. Which makes me wonder why she's with him alone, at 3 in the morning, on a deserted beach.

He stared upwards and began to act as if I weren’t there. But before I instead of splasheding him water on his face again, I looked up,comma not necessary too. Eventually, I had forgotten what I was about to do, and felt calmed.

Stars. I knew the last time I enjoyed staring up and just forgetting everything. I could remember another time when I had been staring up at stars; when I had forgotten all around me.At that time, as memories in memories branched out, I remembered-- This is getting pretty ridiculous. She's remembering remembering a memory? We're trying to learn about how she got to know Chase, but now you're deviating from this. I'll review that part, but I suggest you scrap it for it would add nothing to the story we don't know.

New paragraph.Mom.

“How did you fell in love with daddy?” I had asked mom while staring upward she wouldn't be staring down at them, would she? at the shiny stars. We came outsneaking had snuck/sneaked onto the roof How did they get on the roof? Do you mean balcony? at two in the morning when everyone else was asleep.

Mom and I held an intimate friendship that lasted a lifetime. Her mother is dead. Thus this should be: Mom and I had a strong friendship which lasted throughout her lifetime. She was my teddy bear to hug tight when I was scared, my shoulder to cry on when Dad had given me a sermon about my flunking grades, a friend to laugh with when I could not even smile why would she laugh if she couldn't smile?; she had seemed more of a sister than a mom. Sitting on the roof was our favorite spot to talk. And when I was nine, I became curious with this thing about what they called ‘’love’’ italicize this, don't use inverted commas and asked my mom, “How did you fell fall, Jash in love with daddy?”

“How did I fall in love?” Mom smiled. “Well, there was not really anything to fall for your father.” "Well, there wasn't really much about your father to fall in love with." She laughed while I smiled. She glanced at me, and continued to speak with exaggerated gestures and excitement as if she was telling me one of her fantasy stories.

“Well, it was a rainy afternoon evening in Palawan*. Grey clouds crossed the sky as far as you could see. Your father was driving me home after inviting me into a party, and dusk was starting falling. The car suddenly stopped in the middle of nowhere. Well, it really wasn’t anowhere. We were in the middle of the a forest.” She laughed. “He tried to fix the car, but he couldn’t; it just got him all wet. So we waited for another car to pass by. But unfortunately, after five whole hours, no one came. I looked at my watch and it was almost eight in the evening. This implies that they got stuck at 3pm or so. Dusk doesn't fall at 3 unless you're in a country far north, or unless you're in the UK during the Winter. The sky was black, the rain poured and poured, and, because he was my ‘Kuya’**—being a week older than I—he told me to remain in the car while he looked for someone who might be able to help us. He told me that he had already called his friend Then why would go looking for someone to help them? and he would be back after fifteen minutes."

“But I was headstrong.” She laughed again. “I didn’t like it when people told me what to do. So I went charging in the rain,get rid of the comma too. The rain didn’t seem to be a threat at all; the rain was very relaxing and gentle and it kindatickled my cheek. I did not feel any harm rain wouldn't exactly harm you so I before he went too far, I dragged him to a nearby beach A beach right next to a forest? And if they didn't know where they were, how did she know about the beach? . I pushed him into the water So it was dark and rainy, and yet the water currents were not strong. This isn't very realistic. They should be dragged out to sea and drowned, really. He got wetter, and I laughed at him. He got angry at me and pulled me in the water, too. But in the end, he admitted he was having fun.'

“Thirty more minutes and I started to chill. But he hugged me and tried to keep me warm. Yeah. That’s how I fell for your father. Insane!” Because he hugged her?

Of course, I didn’t completely understand the story, but the way she told it made it memorable. Did it?

Hold on. Now we're going beyond the flashback. So one day, before I went off to college, I told Dad about that particular story. He smiled and gladly told his side of it:

"Your mother was very stubborn and immature. She kissed me in the storm without minding the raging rain and the possibility of a tsunami Erm, what? Just because they were in the water, a tsunami might happen? What about drowning instead?. She was confident and brave. And that’s what I loved the most about her—she was never scared.”

I hadsighed when I finally came to my senses out of my memories. Chase was still admiring the sky and I had to splash water at him so he would remember that I was still there.

“I’m still mad at you!” I yelled in mock furiousness fury. He laughed so hard, andthat I had to laughed with him. His intimidation had been finally exterminated. This sentence is so confusing. And intimidation means scaring someone, you meant timidity. The sentence should have been: His timidness had finally gone. But then again, I feel this sentence is even unnecessary. From what I've seen of Chase, he has shown no timidity whatsoever. I don't even know why you would say is timid. A timid person doesn't get into a stranger's car and take them to a beach instead of driving home; they wouldn't swim with them in the sea at three in the morning. Heck, they wouldn't be very good at working in a restaurant, because they wouldn't be able to talk to strangers.

Dripping wet, we walked up the boulders and collected rocks shining under the moonlight It would be hard to get a grip on the boulders if they were wet. And why on Earth would they collect rocks at that time? And don't you mean shells, anyway?. Chase was silent. We threw the rocks in the water and wore our shoes again. His converse looked as if they have been manufactured in the last century. We already know that they're tattered and old.

“I told you not to stare,” he had inferiorlytold me. You're changing your tense again. And when did he tell her that? And inferiorly doesn't make any sense in this sentence.

“I’m sorry,” I hadreplied.

When we got back to my car, he did not get in. He just bid me goodnight and left. I went back to the dormitory, feeling good. Nobody had ever made me feel that way without giving me something presumablycostly; no one in my history of fifty-eight boyfriends made me feel good with just a simple ‘’spending some time’’ by just spending time with me.

Every guy I had had a relationship with washad been a total jerk. I had caught each of them cheating on me after two to three months. Each had promised that he would never willbe with another girl, but eventually willleave left me heartbroken. That was the reason why I was cautious before I gave Chase my heart Hardly. But after a couple of years, he just proved that he would never find another girl in my place. What does this mean? Explain. He said that himself, and he had earned my trust.

From a simple incident, complicated things had occurred; from that simple introduction of two souls came out something I never had expected to happen. Again, you're not making sense here. Simplify the sentence.

The moonlight was still shining on our countenances and the stars danced in the night sky—just like they used to. Having enough of the reminiscing in reminisces, I looked back at Chase. Are you finally talking about the present moment now? Because I'm confused. Give some sort of indication.

“Don’t tell me you’re gonna push me over into the waters again,” I told Chase.

We laughed.

I went back to the dorm, totally tired, not from walking, but from thinking. Michelle was already sound asleep. I sneaked onto my bed, and took out the necklace that Mom gave me and wore it. Then, after glancing at the night sky one more time, I closed my eyes hoping for a good night sleep--wishing that I would have those cherished memories in place of that menacing nightmare.[/u]

----------------------

Alrighty then. Let's break this down.

GRAMMAR

There are some parts where the grammar is pretty bad Jash. You use words in the wrong context, or you use words that don't fit into the flow of the story. But from reading some other reviews, I've realized English isn't your first language so the mistakes are understandable. That said, you should still try and improve.

TENSES

You tend to mix up your tenses. Particularly in the flashbacks, were you went from Present Tense to Past Tense to Present Perfect Tense to Present Continuous...basically you mix up your tenses so much it gets confusing. And in the flashbacks, you used Past Tense when you should have used Past Perfect. Again, this is an area you need to brush up in.

DEVIATING FROM PLOT

You do this a lot. From being in the Mall, you deviate to how Snow got to know Chase, which is actually not explained (you mention that they were brought together by dancing, and then you never say another word about dancing, even when you finally explain how they became close) and deviates into his background. Then we go back to the present day, upon which you deviate into talking about a memory which has no importance to the story. Then we get back to the story.

They go to the Bay, and then you deviate again into how she realized Chase was poor, which in turn deviates into how-she-fell-in-love-with-him/ how-they-became-close-friends (and you still say nothing about the earlier dancing), which itself deviates into how-her-mom-fell-in-love-with-her-dad which not only is totally and absolutely unimportant, but in some parts makes little sense. And then we finally return to the present, and then briefly deviate into her history with her past boyfriends, and then we return to the present and the story ends. That is a lot of deviation, Jash.

REALISM

Many aspects of the story aren't realistic. How she bonded with Chase, how her mother and father fell in love, they're all a bit far-fetched. I know this is a fantasy, but still.

PURPLE PROSE

I'm glad to see that there is less Purple Prose in Snow's POV than there is in Sun's. But you still offend. A good example:

Two men swaggered in our direction. They were both in a haughty gait and seemed like mocking macho men.

Be careful of the Purple Prose, Jash. Use simple words that go with the flow of the story, and which don't make the reader scratch their head in confusion or go running for a dictionary.

And finally,

THE ACTUAL PLOT

It seems to me that after two long chapters, this story still isn't getting to a point. You've introduced the main characters Snowflake and Sunshine. You've introduced the lockets. But apart from the weird, unexplained dream at the beginning of this chapter, you've not actually started the story or gotten us into any action. What do the lockets do? Why are the characters special? What is the dilemma they have to face, the adventure they have to go on? What is the point?

All in all, there are many things you can improve on in this, Jash. You tried, but you could try even harder. Good job, and KEEP WRITING!

Tiger

P.S. If you have any questions about the review, PM me or post on my wall if it's short.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket