z

Young Writers Society

Taboo [3]

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:07 am
Shearwater says...

Chapter Three (Liliah)

Look into my eyes and hear what I'm not saying, for my eyes speak louder than my voice ever will....~Unknown.

~~~

I silently watched as my math teacher wrote foreign symbols on the board with a squeaking blue marker. The words that escaped her mouth were those of an alien language. I stayed still, like Auguste Rodin’s “The Thinker” statue for the next hour, completely oblivious to everything going on around me.
Mrs. Daniels gave us a ten minute head start on our homework. Not wanting to bring my enormous text book home, I quickly copied down the bizarre symbols into my notebook. The sound of desks being scratched against the cheap tile floor brought my attention up. I peered at Olivia and Hunter as they connected their desks to mine in some sort of awkward triangular shape.
“Hey, guys,” I greeted, tapping my pen on the notebook. “Do you get any of this? I keep thinking she’s speaking in Chinese or something.”
Hunter’s mouth tipped. “You don’t get it?” He leaned over so his head was near mine. “Need some help?”
Moaning, I rapidly tapped the pencil against my forehead. “I hate math.”
Hunter patted my head with a gingerly smile. “You suck at everything. But I could tutor you,” he answered with enthusiasm.
I gawked at him. “I don’t suck at everything!”
Olivia chuckled and brushed her fingers through her herbal essence blonde hair. There was once a time where I though Hunter and Olivia would make a grand couple. She, being a cheerleader and Hunter being a basket player, well, they were a match made in Heaven. Unfortunately, we were all on the edge of just friendship and nothing more. That actually made things a lot easier.
“Why not get your geeky brother to teach you?” Olivia flicked up an eyebrow and exposed her crystal like blue eyes. “I hear he’s quite the nerd.”
“Luke?” Hunter asked, a hint of bitterness crossing his face. Hunter and Luke hadn’t really been getting along. In fact Luke ignored his presence completely.
“I’ve been hearing some odd rumors about your adopted brother, Liliah,” Olivia noted, leaning towards me.
I frowned, knowing what the rumors were about. A week had passed and every student in Lake Forest High knew his position. Sure, in the beginning he was a shiny new plaything that the girls swooned over him. But after the sharp knife-like rejections and silent treatments, they backed off. He hadn’t uttered a word to anyone. Sometimes I would catch his words when he spoke to the teacher but that wasn’t enough to count as speaking.
“What kind of rumors?” Amusement flashed across Hunter’s eyes.
Olivia shrugged. “Like he always sits next to windows like a freaking ghost and never says anything. Her eyes met mine and she asked, “Is he a mute or something?”
“What? No, he’s not a mute!” I retorted, slightly angrier than I should have been.
“Well, does at least talk to you?”
“Not really…” I muttered, lowering my eyes, ashamed.
“You ditched me at lunch to sit next to a wall.” Olivia rolled her eyes.
I ignored her, looking back at my scribbled problems. I had already explained to her that I was incapable of leaving Luke by himself.
Olivia let out a hearty laugh. “You’ve been chasing him like a puppy for the last week and he still hasn’t burst? I’m sorry, but I would have been so annoyed that I would have slapped you once or twice by now.”
Olivia was always a cynic but we got along like peanut butter and jelly.
Hunter bobbed his head in agreement. “Why keep following him around. Just leave him alone and it’s obvious he’s annoyed.”
“I just don’t feel right. I mean, he’s new and he’s got no one but me and my mom. We have to do our part in being his family members now, so don’t expect me to just give up on him so easily.”
“Here comes, Liliah, the saint,” Olivia muttered. She scratched her pencil against the paper in an attempt to make it seem like she was working when Mrs. Daniels flashed her a look. “You can’t save everyone, Liliah. Remember that much.”
“I could try,” I disagreed. For some reason, I really wanted Luke to trust me, to break the wall of ice that surrounded his heart, stopping at nothing until I had accomplished that task.
“Is there such a thing as being overly helpful?” Hunter asked. “Because that’s seriously what you’re doing. You need to take a step back from the guy, give him some space to breath.”
“I just want us to all get along, okay?” I narrowed my eyes at the two. Honestly, there were times where I felt like I was the only humane person in the world. Did they take things like this so lightly? Was it easy for people to give up on themselves and others so easily? I could never, I was a stubborn mule and cracking Luke like a nut was what I was going to do, whether he liked it or not. There was a dark pain in his eyes which I wanted to vanquish, to see a smile on his strict face.
The bell rang. Students suddenly leapt out of their chairs like a pack of rabbits. They tried to squeeze through the small door all at once, inching their way through the small cracks in the herd. Hunter and Olivia gather their materials and set the desk back in their proper places.
“See you later,” Olivia waved, sprinting out the door with her red purse hitting her waist.
Hunter and I walked across the long hallway and down the stairs towards the Science hall. I pushed past a group of freshman who hurdled together, blocking half the hallway.
“I hate freshmen,” Hunter muttered. He led me through the thicket of bodies, acting like a bulldozer. A few of the freshmen actually took steps back when they saw him coming. Of course they wouldn’t get in the way of the basket ball team captain.
I took a seat next to Hunter at our oval table in the Environmental science class. Mr. Roberts was already taking attendance on his podium. Luke was in his seat, his back slouched again the chair and his hands on the desk with a pen and a notebook. I studied his angular jaw, his motionless eyes staring at the blank chalk board, his messy hair was need of a good brushing but that only made him look all the more attractive, like a rogue. Shaking my head, my eyes darted back towards chubby Mr. Roberts. I shouldn’t be comparing my brother to the type of men I liked. Those sorts of thoughts were completely forbidden.
“Alright, pick partners,” Mr. Roberts announced after putting away his attendance booklet. “We’ll be doing a partner test so pick someone who’s smart,” he laughed, as if he told the world’s funniest joke.
If Luke wasn’t here, I would have stayed in my seat and partnered with Hunter. But Luke was here and I couldn’t let just anyone partner up with him.
“Liliah,” Hunter patted my shoulder.
I gave him a wearily smile. “Sorry, Hunter but I think I’ll have to decline this time. I need to partner up with Luke…because I need to talk to him,” I countered, hoping that he wouldn’t think anything else.
“Yeah, I got it,” he smiled. Flashing Luke one sharp Luke before getting up, he walked to a different table and sat next to some guy from his basketball team.
Without wasting any time, I launched myself towards Luke, swinging into the seat next to him without giving any other girl a chance to do so. Sure, I received some piercing eyes from the other Luke-obsessed chicks but I didn’t mind.
“Hi, Luke!” I said a little too loudly. “Can I be your partner for this one?” I grinned. “Since we’re related, it’s only normal for us to pair up, right?”
His dark eyes dug into mine and a sarcastic smile tugged at the corner of his lips. “You’re really annoying,” he answered.
My breath got caught in my lungs and my eyes widened. Did he really just say something to me?
“Luke-” My words were guillotined by Mr. Robert’s hard glare.
“Miss Liliah, if you would be so kind to pass out the tests to everyone.” He handed me a chunk of white test papers.
“Sure thing, Mr. Roberts,” I forced a smile. How annoying. The papers were stuck together so I licked my thumb and quietly placed a sheet in front of every pair of students. Students normally would rejoice when teachers asked them to hand out papers. Without a doubt, it was a dumb thing to be a happy about, yet most kids would volunteer for the job with raised hands.
Afterward, I sat down with a sigh and picked up my pencil. Luke snatched the paper and began working on the problems. I stared at him, wide eyed. The sound of his pen gliding across the paper, the way his brows furrowed in concentration as he easily finished the first three problems, made me wish I could listen to what he was thinking. I felt a like a burden to him, a piece of bubble gum on his shoe. Twisting my lips, I played with my pencil.
“Oh, I know that one, it’s D.” I pointed to question number seven. He flashed me a daring look and then circled A. Frowning, my cheeks burned with embarrassment. I knew I wasn’t the brightest crayon in the box. An average Joe among the elite here at Lake Forest High. The school was filled with nerds and your over achievers but I, I was merely a girl who strove to get at least a “B” on her next report card.
A cocky smile lingered on his lip as he turned the paper over and began to quickly kill the rest of the problems. Biting my tongue, I wanted to wipe that smile off his lips. What did have to be so smug about anyway? I was just trying to help. Pouting, my eyes scanned the room and locked on Hunter. He lifted a brow to me and smiled. Giving him a satisfying beam, I went back and watched Luke finish the rest of the test on his own. I certainly didn’t learn a thing.
~~~

The smell of fresh vegetables and finely cut chicken made its way up my nose and into my belly. A satisfied smile lifted my cheeks as I turned the stove off. It was my turn to cook dinner today. Normally, Mom and I would alternate days where we would have to cook. I didn’t mind, cooking was one of my talents. Experimenting with nature’s goodies was something that waved to me.
Footsteps echoed down the stairs. Mom came into the kitchen dressed in some slacks and a yellow sweater. “Ah, it smells good, sweetheart,” she said, sniffing the air.
“Yeah, I tried something a little different with the chicken today. Hopefully you’ll like it.” The plates clanked as I set them on the counter, preparing to fill them with my hard work.
Mom walked towards the counter sink and looked out the window. Luke was outside, finishing mowing the lawn with our old red grass eater whom I named Bob. That was back when I was seven. Yes, the machine was quite old.
Leaning my hip against the corner, I aimed to take a peek. He was dressed in some khaki shorts with a red shirt. His hair was ten times messier than this afternoon and had a few drops of perspiration on his forehead where some of his dark hair clung.
Lately, Mom had been giving him some odd jobs to do. Certain things like fixing the blinking light bulb in her closet or popping open that darn lock in our garage, even helping her put together the new TV stand she bought for her room. Certainly he did all those chores without blinking an eye.
“He’s a good guy,” she said, breaking my stare.
“I like him.” The chicken was hot, sending up fumes of airy smoke as I placed them into the round plates. Luke didn’t like peas; he didn’t even take one bite of them last time, so I skipped his plate. “He’s quiet, but I think he’s cool,” I shrugged. But of course Mom would think of him as good. When she brought Luke home, he was already her son. Not just by law…but by heart.
By the time I finished setting the plates, Luke had finished taken a quick shower and came down in a pair of black sweat pants and a loose white shirt. The strands of his raven hair were wet and still dripping with apple scented shampoo. I caught of whiff of him as I rounded the table and popped my bottom down across from him.
Mom smiled, her fork swarming around the mashed potatoes. “Liliah, you forgot to give Lucas his peas,” she idly pointed at the empty section on his plate.
“He doesn’t like them,” I answered. The corner of Luke’s mouth curved up and I immediately bit my lip, holding back a satisfied grin. At least I was doing something right.
“Really, I didn’t know that. I guess I’ll take note of this for the future.” She began eating and halfway through our meal she stopped. “I just had an idea,” she exclaimed with her fork up. “Why don’t you and Lucas go to the mall this weekend? Fall is coming so it’s the perfect time to get some new clothes.” She grinned, probably thinking she had come up with a brilliant idea. “What do you think, huh?” She turned her eyes on Luke.
He looked up, as if he was about to reject. Instead, he met her eyes and a soft smile crossed his lips. “Sure, I’ll go.”
Sure, I’ll go
The peas slipped off my fork. My mouth hung open as his word pierced my ears like a thousand needles. Did words just seriously come out of his mouth? His voice, surely I had heard his words before, but this time it was crisp and clear. Was that the way he sounded? I never thought such short words would get my heart thumping that fast. That spilt second, I thought I had gone deaf and regained my sense of hearing when he spoke. Just for that spilt second.
Luke turned to me. A tongue massaging the tip of his front teeth as his smile faded. I heard myself swallow as I locked my gaze on him.
His eyes were so deep, I was afraid I might fall in.
Last edited by Shearwater on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:13 am, edited 12 times in total.
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:23 am
WelcomingException says...

Hey,
Here are somethings I caught...

1. At the part were Liliah is in the math class, then it just suddenly changes to gym. You need to find a better transition for it. Maybe another paragraph in the hallway, or girls' change room, or move the paragraph further apart so we understand it is in a totally different class.

Once we got home I showered and then went downstairs to help mom with Dinner. I looked out the kitchen window and saw Luke as he finished up cutting the grass in our backyard. Mom had gotten him to do some odd jobs here and there, including fixing the flickering light bulb in her closet and nailing up some new paintings on the walls. He did everything she asked him. He never helped me though.
“Sweetheart, can you set the plates?” Mom asked me as she poured three glasses of water.
I nodded and set the table. Luke came out of the shower with his hair still damp. As he passed me I unwillingly inhaled his apple-like scent.
I didn't understand this part, I thought she just had a shower and when she looked out the window and Lucas was cutting the grass, not he was in the shower too... if that makes seance... OK!!! it seems as if he was into places at once, cutting grass out side and in the shower, I hope that makes seance...

Yet, I couldn’t fathom what great surprise this was
I would use a diffrent then fathom...

Overveiw:
I am in love with this serise and have folloing the chapters, I love the how you make it so cryptic and new!!! I think it could use a little more discription but NOT TO MUCH!!! and don't use such big and weird words :P

I hope this helps!!! :D

WelcomingExeption
What a Welcoming Exception *

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:49 pm
Caerulean says...

Hi, Pink! XD Okay, so here I go:

The beginning seemed a bit hurried. It kinda reminded me of the very first paragraphs I used as an introduction for the first chapter of 'The Inch'. It like came out of nowhere, like there was no continuity from the last chapter to this one.

I frowned, wondering what kind of rumors were going around about him. A week had passed and every student at Crestwood High knew he was my adopted brother.

- The phasing seemed fast here. I was slightly surprised that a week has already passed in the story.

...so I luckily Luke and I...

- I think there's a typographical error here.

Although, Lunch wasn’t really considered a class...

- I don't think you have to put a comma after 'Although'.

...a quick second glass...

- Isn't this supposed to be 'glance' rather than 'glass'?

He looked up, as if he were about to reject.

- I think you should use 'was' rather than 'were'.

Again, nice work, Pink! You kinda have an advantage 'cause you're receiving reviews as you put up chapters unlike mine where only the first chapter was noticed and reviewed much. The other chapters received reviews late.

I'll be looking forward to the next chapter! :D
- Rouie Whisperer-
“(...) and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - Gandalf, The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:59 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Pink!

Please, don't feel ridiculous about sending us PM's! We don't always have the time to go around and visit the forums and would miss out. Well, PM me anyhow.

On to the review!

Both their popularity outshined my own but we never let gossip and rumors break our little friendship.
I would use another word instead of 'little' because it sounds like she's belittling the friendship. To me, anyway.

Why keep following him? I mean it’s obvious he’s annoyed and well, who knows what kind of attitude he has when he’s pissed.”
First, he doesn't know she's been having lunch with him and now he knows she's been following him around? And what do they think about her eating with him? I mean, she was probably lunching with them before, no?

“Okay, just joking!” He raised his hands up in confession
I'm pretty sure 'confession' isn't the word you're looking for here, and I know what you mean but I can't find the word! *groans*

I had been chasing his tail in hopes that I might get a treat but my every attempt was rewarded with a cold glare or a murderous expression that send me backing off with my tail between my legs.
Ok, I get what you mean here but two things bother me. First, though, I would like to mention that I like the imagery here. That being said, you say 'tail' twice in one sentence and it's distracting and repetative. Second, huh? In the previous chapter she's running after him, constantly ignoring his murderous glares, and now she says that she backs off? I don't think so..

I didn’t mind what I had to do in order to get him to trust me and to make him realize that I was here to help him; I was going to do it.
THis sentence definitely needs to be reworked; I had to read it three times to get what you meant. Maybe simplify it to something like; I'll do anything it takes to crack him open (loved the nut thing, by the way).

I ran out of the classroom like a cheetah, juggling my binders and pencils. My next class was across the building and I couldn’t afford to be late
Um, ok. Are your lunch rooms in class rooms? Cause over here we have cafeterias and I was a little confused by this. That being said, why hadn't she brought her supplies to her locker before lunch?

The place was like the cafeteria, loud and earsplitting
haha! Cafeteria!!

Maybe he wasn’t even human.
haha, I have to agree. I hated laps! *groans*

The peas slipped off my fork as I gawked at him. Did he seriously just say something? Did words just…come out of his mouth? His voice…was that how he sounded like? I never thought hearing just one word would get my heart thumping as much as it was now. For a split second I thought that I was deaf and just regained my sense of hearing when he spoke. Just for that split second.
Aww, Pink, I loved this. Beautifully written and very vivid. And funny :) The boy speaks!

Well now, that part is done.

My thoughts. I enjoyed this chapter because I love Liliah's voice. That being said, this needs work. I would have liked to know more about why she's so doggedly determined to draw his attention when he obviously doesn't give a rat's a**. If she has her school supplies with her, have her play with them while her friends are pestering her about him. Hunter seems kind (and jealous,lol!) and Olivia bugs the ever living hell out of me. Nicely done ;)

After the last chapter, we all expected so much out of Liliah's point of view. I mean, who in their right minds would continue after that abuse? She says that she has all year to work him, but why? Is she attracted to him without right away realising it? Does she need to be loved by everyone? If yes, why? What's going on in her head?

Now, that being said, the imagery was good, here, but for some reason it bothered me to have her run out like a cheetah and avoid the frog-students in gym class. I sort of got stuck on the words but I have no idea why. Just wanted to let you know, in case someone else mentions it.

I really, really, enjoy this story and I can't wait to read the next chapter. Great work, keep writing!

Tanya :D

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:24 pm
View Likes
MiaParamore says...

Hey Pink.
This review might be short, as I don't have much to say.

Olivia and Hunter grinned as they connected our desks into a classic triangle shape.
This was nice, Pink. I liked how you brought in Maths here.

Olivia was always the cynic but we got along like peanut butter and jelly.
LOlz.

I had been chasing his tail in hopes that I might get a treat but my every attempt was rewarded with a cold glare or a murderous expression that froze me for a second.

Once we were done, I noticed he wasn’t inundated in sweat like the other guys.

Your writing is getting better every passing chapter, and I have doubts if you need our guidance any longer. :) Nevertheless, perfection is difficult and I do have somethings to tell you.

Maybe he just liked windows, I thought.
When we say, like I thought or something like this, then the sentence prior to this is in italics. Like: I was going to kill him, I thought. And here, in the sentence you wrote, I think there should be likes instead of liked, mainly because you thought it back then, so what you thought then should be in present continuous, right?

Other thing that is not your strongest point, and I forgot to mention in the last chapter is that you have a weakness in commas, and forget to put them at some places. Just work out on that.

I didn't understand why you made the first letter of mother, dinner and lunch in capital. Was it to stress upon it? I don't have a clue, so I would love to know the reason.

The last line, was so perfect. I usually have a thing for the last line, and while writing I make sure to have a gripping end. That's what you were really good at in this chapter. Your work is getting polished very nicely, and the thoughts you have in the beginning of every chapter are great, just keep on doing that.

As with the story, I am in love with it. It's so natural, and a common person can totally relate to it.

*likes*

~Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:07 pm
Button says...

This was another great piece- there were some parts that seemed a bit awkwardly worded to me, but I'm sure if you ran through it again, and perhaps read it aloud, you'd catch them. There were some somewhat overdone similes in this, and it makes the writing seem a tad unnatural in some places. I think that if you omitted some of them, it would make it a lot better. Overall though, this was another great chapter. Onto the next! :D

-Coral-

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:06 pm
Sins says...

Heya :D

Sorry that I got to this late again... I clearly fail at keeping things up to schedule. I'm here now though and I'll hopefully be able to give you a decent review!

I moaned and rapidly tapped the pencil on my forehead. “I hate math.”

Amen.

Hunter and Luke hadn’t really been getting along, in fact, Luke ignored his presence completely to the point of rudeness.

“Like, he always sits next to the window like a freaking ghost and never says anything.” Her eyes met mine and she asked, “Is he a mute or something?”

“While ditching me,” Olivia added, pointing to herself.

Pfft, touchy... :lol:

Olivia let out a hearty laugh. “You’ve been chasing him like puppy for the last week and he still hasn’t burst? I’m sorry, but I would have been so annoyed that I’d have slap you once or twice.”

The part I gihglighted here was kind of confusing. I think you were meant to write something like, I'm sorry, but I would have been so annoyed, I would have slapped him once or twice.

Hunter bobbed his head in agreement. “Why keep following him? I mean, it’s obvious he’s annoyed and, well, who knows what kind of attitude he has when he’s pissed.” The corners of his mouth lifted. “You might get hurt,” he teased.

“He’s not that kind of person,” I retorted. “He’s just misunderstood.”

She needs to give up... :lol:

But I knew what they said was right. I had been chasing his tail in hopes that I might get a treat, but my every attempt was rewarded with a cold glare or a murderous expression that froze me for a second.

The student’s screams echoed off the walls as I sat on the chilly floor of the gym, getting ready for attendance.

Maybe he just liked windows, I thought.

:lol:

Once we were done, I noticed he wasn’t inundated in sweat like the other guys. His forehead had a few drops of perspiration which he wiped off with the collar of his shirt. I was even able to get a quick second glance at his abs as his shirt raised. I blushed and turned away in shock. Was that something I wasn’t supposed to do?

One thing I'd like to mention is that Luke is clearly a very attractive guy. A new kid came into my school this year and most of the girls were all over him, mainly because he was new. He's not even especially nice looking. Girls seemed to like him simply because he was new. Now, Luke is new and extremely attractive, yet people seem to think of him as weird, not hot or whatever. This is merely a suggestion, but I think it would be effective if you maybe showed us a small scene or something of a girl trying to flirt with Luke, but him blatantly ignoring her. It would show that he clearly is a nice looking guy, but when a girl realises that he doesn't say anything, they start thinking he's really weird. I'm not sure if that made sense, but I think you get the idea... That's just a little suggestion/comment, by the way. You don't have to include it or anything.

I could see his eyes circulate with another irritated look. “Guess, not,” I mumbled.

You don't need the comma I highlighted here.

Once we got home, I showered and then went downstairs to help mom with Dinner.

I nodded and set the table. I went to fill the plates with food when I stopped at the peas. I stood there for a second and then skipped them.

I wasn't sure what you meant here. I had to read on to realise that Liliah hadn't put peas on Luke's plate. I thought Liliah skipped over the peas or something... Well, not really, I'm not that dull. I think you should mention her almost putting the peas onto Luke's plate, but instead, putting them back onto the unit or something.

Luke came out of the shower with his hair still damp. As he passed me I unwillingly inhaled his apple-like scent.

Wait... is the shower in the kitchen or something...? I got the impression that either Liliah was in the bathroom all of a sudden, or the bathroom was, like, next door or something.

“Really, I didn’t know that. I guess I’ll take note of this for the future.” She began eating and halfway through our meal ,she stopped. “I just had an idea,” she exclaimed with her fork up. “Why don’t you and Lucas go to the mall this weekend? Fall is coming so it’s the perfect time to get some new clothes.” She grinned, probably thinking she had come up with a brilliant idea. “What do you think, huh?” She turned her eyes on Luke.

The peas slipped off my fork as I gawked at him. Did he seriously just say something? Did words just…come out of his mouth? His voice…was that how he sounded like? I never thought hearing just one word would get my heart thumping as much as it was now. For a split second, I thought that I was deaf and just regained my sense of hearing when he spoke.

He did say something in the second chapter! ;) Didn't he tell Liliah to go away or something when she was waking him up?

She had spent countless hours at the orphanage and had gone through such intensive testing with him, I was sure they were on speaking terms with each other.

Overall

I thought that this was an other entertaining chapter. Not all that much happened in it, but that's okay. I'm a patient girl and I'm perfectly happy to wait for something inciting to happen. The good thing is that although not an awful lot has happened in this, yet you've still managed to keep my interest. That shows that the other factors in this novel like characterisation is keeping it strong at the moment. Something interesting will have to happen soon though, otherwise you will risk loosing some readers' interest. Speaking of characterisation, you'll probably be glad to hear that I'm finding Luke less Edward Cullenish now. Hurrah! Even though he's clearly still a moody guy, there do seem to be other aspects of him that make him less like Edward. I think that Liliah's POV in this chapter actually made me see Luke in another kind of way, so yeah, that's good. Compare to the first chapter, I'm also finding Liliah's POV less annoying to read about. It wasn't that she annoyed me loads before, but there were some aspects that bugged me a bit. It's all good now though. ;)

I only have one critique for you on this chapter, I think. This time though, it's about Liliah. I have to agree with what Hunter and Olivia think, technically... I thinkt hat Liliah's a bit too determined to make Luke like her. It's just that although she's interested in him and what's him to speak to her, she' snot at all angry with him. Surely, there'd be at least a slight bit of annoyance in her with him, especially considering she's trying really hard to get him to speak to her. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Liliah to go over to him and start screaming at him or anything, but I'd like to see some of her thoughts to be a bit different. I'd like to see her getting slightly mentally annoyed at him for completely ignoring her, even wondering if he maybe hates her for some reason. If I was in Liliah's situation, I'd certainly be starting to get annoyed. Even if I wasn't showing it on the outside, I'd at least be thinking it. What I'm basically saying is that I'd like to see you considering other emotions that Liliah would be feeling.

I know that I said I only had one critique, but there is something else I'd like to mention. Whether you could class it as a critique, I'm not sure. It's actually about Liliah's dad. He recently died, right? So far, Liliah hasn't once mentioned or thought about her father. Even if he hadn't died recently, I'm sure that she'd still think about him sometimes. Maybe Liliah would be wondering what her father would think of Luke? That could certainly be an interesting thing to mention. I'd actually quite like to see Liliah bringing her father up now and then, thinking 'what would he do or think?'. I think that it could be a nice touch sometimes. Maybe Luke reminds her of her father, even? Or it could be the opposite. Besides the brief mention of his death in the first chapter, we don't know anything else about him. Was he a good father? Was Liliah and him close? You might be thinking, what does it matter? He's six feet under. This might be more of a personal taste thing, but I think that it is important we get to know about Liliah's father because he is part of Liliah's background and history. :)

There isn't anything else I have to say now, I don't think. I'm happy to say that this novel is definitely progressing well. The plot so far is pretty open, so I an't predict exactly what will and won't happen. I have a pretty good feeling that Luke and Liliah might end up together. Keep it up!

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

377 Reviews

Reviews: 377
Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:43 pm
seeminglymeaningless says...

Wai herro thar, Shear :3

“Like he always sits next to the window like a freaking ghost and never says anything.”

lolwut? Do you mean, "he always sits next to the window not moving like a corpse and never utters a word"?

Realizing my loud voice bounce off the gym walls I put my hands over my mouth. “Sorry,” I waved to my coach who was glaring at me with his hands on his hips.

Wait, what? I honestly thought they were out on the oval, doing laps on the grass.

My cheeks burned and turned away in shock. Was that something I wasn’t supposed to do?

Love "incest" stories. I'm weird like that. Your story reminds me of a modern day V.C. Andrews. If you haven't heard of her, zomgoodness. Flowers In The Attic is twisted and fantastic. And the rest of her original works (not written by her ghost writers after her death) and equally fun to read. They are like an intelligent version of paperback romance novels. I demand you download all her works.

“Hey, Luke, I was wondering if you had time later, if could you could help me with some math homework,” I asked, leaning over to take a peek at his face.

Another nice instalment :) You certainly know how to not drag out a scene. I like how everything flows.

- Jai
I have an approximate knowledge of many things.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:40 pm
CharlotteGrace says...

Hey

Okay so I'm not going to tell you what needs fixing because that would just be repetative. So I like the story a lot, granted I just started it today. I think that you should keep going, because this could turn out really good.

-Charlotte Grace
"The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." -Lucille Ball

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:43 pm
View Likes
Cassie9960 says...

I think you did a really good job. I can't wait to read more!

~Cassie~

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:48 pm
borntobeawriter says...

haha, this time I can do my review the traditional way!

Flashing Luke one sharp Luke before getting up, he walked to a different table and sat next to some guy from his basketball team.
look

I caught of whiff of him as I rounded the table and popped my bottom down across from him.
a

That spilt second, I thought I had gone deaf and regained my sense of hearing when he spoke. Just for that spilt second.
split

Okay, this was great; I enjoyed it. I find Lil much less annoying than in the older version, great job, Wifey!!

Off to the next!
Tanya

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Jashael says...

Hey, Ate Pink! I couldn’t wait to read this. LOL And frankly speaking, reading this didn’t change anything. As a matter of fact, I like Luke even more! XD

Here are some nitpicks though… =))

I could never, I was a stubborn mule and cracking Luke like a nut was what I was going to do, whether he liked it or not.

“I could never”…what? I suggest this should be broken up into two sentences. The “I could never” adds confusion.

There was a dark pain in his eyes which I wanted to vanquish. I wanted to see a smile on his strict face.

“See you later.” Olivia waved, sprinting out the door with her red purse hitting her waist.

I studied his angular jaw, his motionless eyes staring at the blank chalk board, his messy hair was need of a good brushing but that only made him look all the more attractive, like a rogue.

I HATE THIS. XD Noooo…It made me scream like a girl. Haha.. yeah, like a girl. =)) Why does LIliah have to describe Luke like that??? XD And she could see him, I can’t?? I am now envious of Liliah. ROTFL
“Yeah, I got it.He smiled.

Be careful with dialogue formats. =) I know it’s very tricky.

“Yeah, I got it.He smiled.

Flashing Luke one sharp Luke before getting up, he walked to a different table and sat next to some guy from his basketball team.

That should be "look", I believe.
That was a funny mistake. But never mind, it was just, after all a mistake. And if you remember, I made that mistake once, too! XD

Sure, I received some piercing eyes from the other Luke-obsessed chicks but I didn’t mind.

I will give Liliah a piercing look. =P

His dark eyes dug into mine and a sarcastic smile tugged at the corner of his lips. “You’re really annoying,” he answered.

Luke can tell me that. I’m also annoying!! =P

“Luke--” My words were guillotined by Mr. Robert’s hard glare.

I think “wide-eyed” is a compound adjective with the hyphen.

I stared at him, wide eyed.

The sound of his pen gliding across the paper; the way his brows furrowed in concentration as he easily finished the first three problems, made me wish I could listen to what he was thinking.

The school was filled with nerds and your over achievers but I, I was merely a girl who strove to get at least a “B” on her next report card.

Aw! Poor Liliah. =|

A cocky smile lingered on his lips as he turned the paper over and began to quickly kill the rest of the problems. Biting my tongue, I wanted to wipe that smile off his lips. What did he have to be so smug about anyway?

YEAH! Kill 'em, Luke. Can you tutor me?? XD

Luke was outside, finishing mowing the lawn with our old red grass eater [color=#FF0080]which[/color]I named Bob.

The subject of the following sentence is Luke’s hair so you have to put “he” between “and” and “had”.

His hair was ten times messier than this afternoon and he had a few drops of perspiration on his forehead where some of his dark hair clung.

ARRRRGGGH...the descriptions are too good. =P

Certainly, he did all those chores without blinking an eye.

“He’s quiet, but I think he’s cool.” I shrugged.

THINK??? Oh, Liliah. =P

By the time I finished setting the plates, Luke had finished taken a quick shower and came down in a pair of black sweat pants and a loose white shirt. The strands of his raven hair were wet and still dripping with apple scented shampoo. I caught a whiff of him as I rounded the table and popped my bottom down across from him.

Tsk…tsk…tsk…those descriptions aren’t helping me. =P

“Liliah, you forgot to give Lucas his peas.She idly pointed at the empty section on his plate.

Don't forget the period! XD

Sure, I’ll go

I can hear Luke's voice. He sounds like those in cartoons. Have you ever realized how hot those voice actors’ voices are? LOL (I hate Zuko’s voice though. He's one of those hot cartoons whose voice isn't so hot. =P)

His voice, surely I had heard his words before, but this time it was crisp and clear.

AAAAAAHHH… Luke, *dies*

Great way to end it, Ate Pink!=)) Lavvit... XD

His eyes were so deep, I was afraid I might fall in.

I find that sentence ambiguous, but in a good way, if y’know what I mean?

So this chapter was great. The only pathetic criticism I have is that I think it was a bit sped up. We ended up with Luke and Liliah’s water bottle problem in the cafeteria: “How am I suppose to put up with that?”, and then A WEEK was gone. I don’t know if this is just me, but Chap two should at have least ended at night or something—something to not make it feel a bit short. Something where I—*cough* I mean we—could know more about Luke. XD I don’t know if you added more to that chapter though(I’ll check it out later).

So there, this chapter was great. =)) I’m still --uhh...*cough* *ehem*…never mind. XD

~~ Puppets ♥
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

life is so much better with tater tots
— AilahEvelynMae