z

Young Writers Society

deleted

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 am
blackbird12 says...

deleted this, submitting it for something...
Last edited by blackbird12 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 8 times in total.
If I had wings, I would have opened them.
I would have risen from the ground.

-Mary Oliver

245 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 245
Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 pm
sargsauce says...

This was written very well, but the grand 10-minute realization nearly slipped past me without notice.

Paragraph 1: Great. In 5 sentences, without all these fancy words and endless similes and metaphors, you set the scene. Straightforward and sharp.

the memories still clung to him like a wound that won’t heal.

Not a huge fan of this line. Kinda overdone in general.

The salty taste of him lingered at the back of his throat

;) subtle

He had clawed himself...decency to avoid returning

Go ahead and throw an "and" after that comma. There are a few places where you use commas instead of "and", which you can get away with, but I think at least this spot should have one to keep such a long sentence together.

The sharpest of clarity was mired in the deepest of drunkenness.

This is a fine way to end it, but I think it can be reworded to be more straightforward and, thus, more powerful.

Anyhow, I think you realize that you tend to not use pretty language, so it's not like I'll be pulling out lines and saying, "I like this!" Rather, it's the whole scene and emotion, altogether, that I really enjoyed. It's real and gritty and truthful. It has an edge that you don't see in most other stories around here. I think you could've driven home the painful realization more (I have a vague understanding of it, but we didn't dwell on it or plumb its depths enough), but I dig it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:12 pm
cathl says...

This is a great scene, well written, and I like also that you don't use pretty language but good language that is direct. The only thing I think you should do is expand this out because it's a very interesting set up.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:33 pm
VivielTwixt says...

Hmm. Definitely not what I was expecting.

Writing Style
You're writing style is strong because it's subtle, and yet straightforward at the same time. The absence flowery language definitely helps here.

I Liked...

Characterization and plot are basically perfect for this story and cliches are essentially nonexistent.

You established the mood very well at the beginning. I thought I was going to get bored with another back-from-the-bar-drunk-and-feeling-sorry-for-myself sort of story. But surprisingly, I didn't. It all flowed well from the description of his lover to the excerpts from his mother.

Other

I thought the parts where he touched and smelt the semen was gross. That's me personally.

I'm not sure what the realization was. That part was too subtle for me. Is it that he hates his lonely life?

Overall
Nice job. The story is written extremely well and like Sargsauce says, it has an edge. My only suggestion would be to make the realization clearer. I have a feeling I've only scratched the surface of the real realization. Anyway nice job.
If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Want to change the world, there's nothing to it
-Wonka

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 am
Bookwormart says...

I thought that this was quite an interesting story, especially since all of it is in third person and there's no real dialogue. But I found that it was an exquisite story with plenty of pain and depression.
How's Life? :D

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:43 am
BigBadBear says...

blackbird12,

You have created a fantastic short story right here. I've been on the look for a good short story, and I clicked on this one because of it's intriguing title. And I'm so glad I did.

Honestly, I have nothing to complain about. You've done everything right, from the plot to the characters. A homosexual man drinking away his problems? It's a great story, it really is. Your language is straight and cut to the bone, which reflects how the man feels. I love the fact that you included his mother's refusal to accept him. Man, I honestly don't know what to say. You've done a really great job, and there's not much more I need to say.

I'll be looking for more of you writing,

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

Reviews: 2
Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:44 pm
DEmoNiCSouL says...

Astonishing. This piece was intriguing, yet real. Like something, I've never read before. You've taken a creative story line which others can relate to. Personally I believe the most effective use of the piece is emotion. The character development is great and with such a detailed impression, it's easy for a reader to connect. Great Work!

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:41 pm
Lena.Wooldridge says...

This is easily one of the best short stories I have red on this site.

Stark red numbers glared at him

I don't know if I would use the word "stark." I guess that it works there, but it sort of leaped out at me.

He ran his tongue along his teeth, felt the fuzz of hard liquor.

Should be "feeling," not felt.

clung to him like a wound that won’t heal.

This metaphor just isn't working for me. It's too direct of a metaphor, because his memories almost literally are wounds that don't heal. Maybe phrase it like this: "But the memories still clung to him, wounds that were never to heal."

All commercials aired only in the dead of night--for who else was awake at such an hour but the lonely and directionless?

I really like this, because it's totally true.

The screen sliced to black, as he flung the remote away in disgust.

I don't feel that the word "sliced" really works here.

on the floor--vague lonely lights.

Try to get rid of all the dashed-line things. They make your writing clunky.

several days old, the only tangible memento

along his jaw, the careless leer that drove him mad.

He swallowed hard, swallowing the tingling need to vomit, a corrosive lust.

Oh my God, get these filthy magazines outta here. Awful! Christ, what would

Her features were so soft, vaguely defined as in a half-imagined memory, a photograph fading into deep whiteness.

This is beautiful; it is just how I remember the way people look.

His lover, his mother--words so close in sound, perhaps also in meaning.

I read this part over many times, but it almost seems as though you are giving him the Oedepus complex, which I know is not the case. So I'd change this paragraph a bit so as not to confuse the reader.

he wanted to forget the realization that had crashed upon him in ten intoxicated minutes.

I don't understand what the realization was. Guess I'm just a terrible reader.

Again, this was beautiful.

-Lena
stay gold, ponyboy

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:22 pm
PianoPlayer says...

A very interesting piece. I'm infinitely more interested in "character" driven stories than "plot" driven stories. It's a very thin line but I appreciated you taking on a character and becoming that character as opposed to giving us a check list of things that have happened, which will happen, settings, mysteries etc.

The style initially reminded me a lot of Bret Easton Ellis (perhaps your picture pushed me to that assumption). There's no shame in taking on someone else's style at all, but I was surprised when suddenly this blank canvas became a very sensitive person.

"He stared indifferently at rail-thin models clad in crimson lace, bathed in candlelight, wallowing on loveseats while white looping numbers scrolled across the screen."

After that line, I was convinced I was in store for a whole page of Bateman-esque observations, which is a very hard thing to do. However, you changed it up and added a layer of personality and created empathy for the protagonist and it worked. There now seemed reason for his indifference/anger. The vague mention of "memories" is usually not enough to give us an indication of the character's mindset and I was content with how you evolved that to him missing his partner/lover.

There was a very troubled boy beneath that face. No-one just gets drunk all the time and waits to blackout, that is my only criticism of the piece. You either have blankness/despair/depression or you have beautifully written prose, as it's so difficult to portray that heartache with long descriptive sentences. Few can do it and you can see glimpses of it here, but sometimes it just misses the mark.

I don't mean you can't have beautifully written sentences about depression/despair, but they need to remain faithful to the central ideal. It's always weird to read sentences about being depressed which involves metaphors to skies flowing or oceans rumbling. Depression is a slowing down of thought, and it just isn't reflective of the state of mind, I know why people do it but it never really pays off. Most of the time very blunt, unimaginative sentences of five/six words get the point across much better. You can help yourself by reading through each sentence thoroughly and make sure that the central emotion is consistent throughout the sentence.

The salty taste of him lingered at the back of his throat, mixing with the bittersweet blueberry vodka. He swallowed hard, swallowed a tingling need to vomit, a corrosive lust. The urge to masturbate struck him with a hot jolt but he resisted, for randomly, cruelly, his mother’s voice cut into his mind.

As an example, there's just too much going on here. I understand how it evolves and it does make sense, but it's just too quickly evolved, more pushed forward than gently taken there through words. This could of used maybe 2/3 more sentences to reach that point.

This is just my advice and obviously it could be destructive rather than helpful and I appreciate I may of been a tad harsh. However, it's obvious you're a writer with not only youth on your side but a considerable amount of talent. You've got the metaphors in abundance, you've got the characters and you've got the passion. You could really be something, you've just got to make sure you treat yourself with the respect to make sure your stories are as beautiful as they could be. There's beauty in despair, as there's beauty in grace, find the middle of those two polar opposites and you will be writing forever and ever, because once you get it, you never lose it.

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:42 am
Vanadis says...

'Ello there, Blackbird. Here as requested. (Sorry it took a bit, though.)

I'm going to start with an in-line critique (which you'll find in the spoiler) and then I'll follow up with my thoughts on it as a whole.

Spoiler! :
blackbird12 wrote:
"11:58"

Stark red numbers glared at him in the darkness: 11:58. The air conditioner whirred softly, a muscle twitched in his leg. >I would separate this sentence into two, because a comma can't join two independent clauses, and the two pieces of this sentence aren't really on a similar enough subject to use a semicolon. The pillow was thin and limp beneath his head. A bar of moonlight slanted through the blinds, glinting on the empty vodka bottle at the foot of the bed. He ran his tongue along his teeth and felt the fuzz of hard liquor. >I like that as a description; nice job. Also, you've done a good job setting up the scene. Not too descriptive, but doesn't leave me wanting.

He exhaled sharply, fingers kneading his temple. He was drunk, but the memories still clung to him like some sour aftertaste that kept him awake. Intoxication had become routine, and alcohol his bitter beloved. He wanted the blackout, not only to awaken with a splitting hangover, but to feel the slate of his mind wiped blank, with no recollection of his mind’s wanderings. To feel clean again. But tonight, two minutes before midnight, before the emergence of a raw new day, it eluded him.

He flicked on the television with a quick upward chop of the remote. He stared indifferently at rail-thin models clad in crimson lace, bathed in candlelight, wallowing on loveseats while white looping numbers scrolled across the screen. His eyelids fluttered over testaments to community colleges, insistent pleas to call employment agencies. All commercials>I'd say infomercials because daytime does have commercials. aired only in the dead of night--for who else was awake at such an hour but the lonely and directionless?

The screen shuttered to black, and he flung the remote away in disgust. Its buttons glowed a dim yellow on the floor, lonely>gonna get a little nitpicky here. I'd say use a synonym for lonely, since you've already used lonely. But then again, something to think about: the buttons are close together. Would they be lonely? beacons of light.

Coaxing sleep, he buried his face in the mattress. He felt a coarse patch on the sheets, fingered it, then smiled. A semen stain, several days old, the only tangible memento of his lover in the apartment. He pressed his nose to the stain, inhaled the stale scent of love. He thought of him framed naked in the doorway, the scrape of stubble along his jaw, the careless leer that drove him mad. The salty taste of him lingered at the back of his throat, blending with bittersweet blueberry vodka. He swallowed hard, swallowed a tingling need to vomit, a corrosive lust. The urge to masturbate struck him with a hot jolt, but he resisted, restrained by some quick fear. He cursed, sighing into the cotton. >Nice paragraph! It's lewd without being trashy. Well-described. Very good.

He had hoped that liquor would soothe him, that the darkness would anesthetize him. That he would be alone, free to be no one but himself--a role he rarely played. But randomly, cruelly, his mother’s voice cut through his mind, slicing into him as she always did, when he was most exposed.

How come you don’t wanna play ball with the other boys? It’s fun, hangin' out with the guys, innit? Just look at your brother, the whole football team loves him, and he’s got such a nice girlfriend… Why can’t you be more like--

His teeth dug trenches into his bottom lip. The pain silenced the memory. The present could always blot out the chaos of the past, but only temporarily:

Oh my God, get these filthy magazines outta here. Awful! Christ, what would your father think, his little boy gawkin’ at naked men? Throw ‘em out… It’ll be our little secret. Your father won’t know nothin’ about this…unnaturalness.

Unnaturalness. Her voice was like a buzz saw, cleaving his forehead in two. In his mind her features were soft, vaguely defined as in a half-imagined memory--a photograph fading into deep whiteness. But through the years her voice remained the same, serrated as a freshly whetted blade.

He had clawed himself from the closet and dragged himself from the stinking hovel of home. He had fled five thousand miles, living on the edge of poverty and decency to avoid a return. But his mother had stowed away in his memory since the first day of escape, and he could not erase her, nor heal the ragged wounds of youth. They were wounds his lover had understood and assuaged. Somehow another man had found something to love in him, had found a way to caress that frayed edge in him, the one he thought was too fragile to be touched. >Another very good paragraph.

He believed it was love between them, but he had never felt it before--so what was it? Fingering the stain, he wondered why he had no other souvenir of him: no photograph, no trinket, no scar from a lovers’ quarrel. Everything between them was thin and brief, and even this stain would fade, scrubbed away in the fierce swirl of water and detergent. The past was slow and lasting, the present fleet. The thought was like a stab in his gut.

His mother, his lover: the words formed a twisted rhyme in his head. One was pain and one was passion, yet they were intrinsically linked. They were searing reminders of what was wrong and what was right, sometimes both, sometimes neither. He had spent years fleeing from his mother, but she still lurked inside him, closer than ever.>I'd change the period to a comma and lead it into the next sentence. While every day his lover slipped farther and farther through his aching fingers.>Why are the fingers aching? The thoughts swam through his head. Perhaps he deserved no more than the companionship of late-night ads.

His gaze rolled to the clock once more: 12:08. He groaned and squeezed his eyes shut, begging for the dull thudding sleep of the drunk, praying for a ceasefire from the sibilant voices in his mind. The stillness of the air oppressed him. He wanted to sob but told himself that was weak. He wanted to forget the realization that had slipped into him in ten intoxicated minutes: that the past could not be caged, and nor could the present.

It was somehow fitting that when he drank himself into a stupor, when all he wanted was to forget, all he could do was remember.

I really liked this. It is very nicely written, and I can't really pinpoint anything you had specific problems on--just a few small things here and there.

I enjoy the way you use description--not being overly flowery, not really putting emphasis on the way things look unless they matter to the story. It makes everything flow nicely.

The part I have the most compliments about is the entire subject matter of the story--basically summed up in your ending sentence. It's true--too true. It made me think. Made me have to take a break from it, actually, because it brought up too much feeling. You have hit the hypothetical nail right smack in the face with this.

So I actually don't have any complaints. It's beautiful.

Ciao,
Freyja
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:57 am
Hecate says...

Hi there!
I'm here to review as requested. Already read the last one and the revised one and here's what I think:

[quote="blackbird12"]Revised this piece since the critiques seemed to believe in its potential.

"11:58"

Stark red numbers glared at him in the darkness: 11:58. The air conditioner whirred softly, a muscle twitched in his leg. The pillow was thin and limp beneath his head. A bar of moonlight slanted through the blinds, glinting on the empty vodka bottle at the foot of the bed. He ran his tongue along his teeth and felt the fuzz of hard liquor. Here, you successfully use imagery to help the reader paint a picture of what is happening. Excellent job!

He exhaled sharply, fingers kneading his temple. He was drunk, but the memories still clung to him like some sour aftertaste that kept him awake I love the simile that helps the reader understand exactly how your character felt, although at the same time a sour after taste goes away when you brush your teeth, so perhaps this is alluding to the fact that soon he will be able to get rid of the 'sour aftertaste' . Intoxication had become routine, and alcohol his bitter beloved I love this sentence, personifying alcohol and using an alliteration and juxtaposition to emphasize the effect was excellently done. He wanted the blackout, not only to awaken with a splitting hangover good, you reveal the masochistic nature of the character , but to feel the slate of his mind wiped blank, with no recollection of his mind’s wanderings. To feel clean again. But tonight, two minutes before midnight, before the emergence of a raw new day, it eluded him.

He flicked on the television with a quick upward chop of the remote. He stared indifferently The fact that he stared indifferently at the models reveals that' there is something special about him and alludes as to what will happen next.at rail-thin models clad in crimson lace, bathed in candlelight, wallowing on loveseats while white looping numbers scrolled across the screen . His eyelids fluttered over testaments to community colleges, insistent pleas to call employment agencies. All commercials aired only in the dead of night--for who else was awake at such an hour but the lonely and directionless? A very philosophic sentence :P

The screen shuttered to black, and he flung the remote away in disgust. Its buttons glowed a dim yellow on the floor, lonely beacons of light.

Coaxing sleep, he buried his face in the mattress. He felt a coarse patch on the sheets, fingered it, then smiled. A semen stain, several days old, the only tangible memento of his lover in the apartment. He pressed his nose to the stain, inhaled the stale scent of love the stale scent of love... one more thing that caught my attention and that looked very interesting. . He thought of him framed naked in the doorway, the scrape of stubble along his jaw, the careless leer that drove him mad. The salty taste of him lingered at the back of his throat, blending with bittersweet blueberry vodka. He swallowed hard, swallowed a tingling need to vomit, a corrosive lust. The urge to masturbate struck him with a hot jolt, but he resisted, restrained by some quick fear. He cursed, sighing into the cotton.

He had hoped that liquor would soothe him, that the darkness would anesthetize him. That he would be alone, free to be no one but himself--a role he rarely played. But randomly, cruelly, his mother’s voice cut through his mind, slicing into him as she always did, when he was most exposed.

How come you don’t wanna play ball with the other boys? It’s fun, hangin' out with the guys, innit? Just look at your brother, the whole football team loves him, and he’s got such a nice girlfriend… Why can’t you be more like-- In the short paragraphs about the mother, you've portrayed her excellently. She's seen as a bit of a simple woman, who babbles, and the reader can definitely see that from her constant rambling. It's great that you added some more rambling from the mother when you edited it, made your character more believable.

His teeth dug trenches into his bottom lip. The pain silenced the memory Foreshadows depression? Perhaps a tragic end?. The present could always blot out the chaos of the past, but only temporarily:

Oh my God, get these filthy magazines outta here. Awful! Christ, what would your father think, his little boy gawkin’ at naked men? Throw ‘em out… It’ll be our little secret. Your father won’t know nothin’ about this…unnaturalness.

Unnaturalness. Her voice was like a buzz saw, cleaving his forehead in two. In his mind her features were soft It's interesting that you choose to describe her features as soft. You painted a rather negative picture of the woman, before, but that one word soft, it made her seem positive, even motherly. Yet, you're an excellent writer, as far as I can see, and I'm sure you probably have a reason for it., vaguely defined as in a half-imagined memory--a photograph fading into deep whiteness. But through the years her voice remained the same, serrated as a freshly whetted blade.

He had clawed himself from the closet and dragged himself from the stinking hovel of home. He had fled five thousand miles, living on the edge of poverty and decency to avoid a return. But his mother had stowed away in his memory since the first day of escape, and he could not erase her, nor heal the ragged wounds of youth. They were wounds his lover had understood and assuaged. Somehow another man had found something to love in him, had found a way to caress that frayed edge in him, the one he thought was too fragile to be touched.

He believed it was love between them, but he had never felt it before--so what was it? Fingering the stain, he wondered why he had no other souvenir of him: no photograph, no trinket, no scar from a lovers’ quarrel. Everything between them was thin and brief, and even this stain would fade, scrubbed away in the fierce swirl of water and detergent. The past was slow and lasting, the present fleet. The thought was like a stab in his gut. A powerful simile.

His mother, his lover: the words formed a twisted rhyme in his head. One was pain and one was passion, yet they were intrinsically linked. They were searing reminders of what was wrong and what was right, sometimes both, sometimes neither. These three sentences, I loved. The comparison between the mother and the lover, your use of vocabulary perfectly showed what he thought. It was very poetic, too. He had spent years fleeing from his mother, but she still lurked inside him, closer than ever. While every day his lover slipped farther and farther through his aching fingers. The thoughts swam through his head. Perhaps he deserved no more than the companionship of late-night ads.

His gaze rolled to the clock once more: 12:08. He groaned and squeezed his eyes shut, begging for the dull thudding sleep of the drunk, praying for a ceasefire from the sibilant voices in his mind. The stillness of the air oppressed him. He wanted to sob but told himself that was weak. He wanted to forget the realization that had slipped into him in ten intoxicated minutes: that the past could not be caged, and nor could the present. And that is the message of your story. Excellent.

It was somehow fitting that when he drank himself into a stupor, when all he wanted was to forget, all he could do was remember.

Overall

As you can see, I have pointed out what I liked and didn't like on the story itself, and I have said why. As you may have also noticed, I was only unsure about one thing. Yet, it is up to you whether you'll change that or not. Other than that, I am absolutely convinced that this is one of the best pieces I have read in a while, by both published and unpublished writers. It was rather poetic, the description of his depression and the memories that flooded him. The different language techniques that you used, at all the right places were very impressive. The range of your vocabulary, too, is simply amazing.
I'm really sorry that there wasn't much that I did not like, and I can't help you improve all that much, but I loved it. Really. I haven't read the other reviews, as to not be biased, and perhaps other members were able to help out a bit more and found things that could help you out, but that's all I could find. Anyway, excellent job. Outstanding, in fact.
~

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom