z

Young Writers Society

Can You See Me? (Chapter Seven ~ Part Two)

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 pm
Sins says...

This is a pretty short part, but I really need some help on it. It's quite an important part of the novel so I need to make sure that it's at least somewhat decent. I've edited it since my first review but now, I think that this is way too melodramatic... I can never be happy. :lol: How do you think I can make it a lot less melodramatic without having to get rid of a load of stuff?

Any reviews are gladly appreciated!

Click here for the previous chapters if you need them.

That night, the nightmares began.
It would be the same every night I dreamt it. It would begin in an enormous room. Where that room was, I didn’t have a clue. One thing I did know was that it was immaculate; there wasn’t a piece of furniture out of place. From what I could tell, it was some kind of living room. There was nothing noticeably strange about the room. There was a sofa, two windows, a fireplace, a rug on the floor and a few exotic plants dotted around.
Observing the room carefully, the feeling of anxiety would overrun me. The crackling sound of burning wood echoed in my ears, coming from the fireplace at the end of the room. Staring at it, an unnerving feeling began to grow in my stomach as my breathing became heavier. Quietly, as though I was trying not to disturb someone, I turned my attention away from the fireplace.
One of the four walls in the room was plastered in bookcases, each one filled with all kinds of books, most of them clearly very old. They didn’t look out of place, but that was the problem. Every single book was set into place perfectly, almost as if they were hiding something. I bit my lip as my eyes locked onto them.
Suddenly, it felt as though I was being over to the bookcases. My index finger slid down the spine of one of the battered red books. Doing so, I could feel my heart rate slowly speeding up, as though it was counting down something. As I felt the book, a small, uncomfortable shiver ran down my spine. Shaking the cold feeling out of my body, I tried - and failed - to turn my attention away from the bookcases.
Normally, when I was dreaming, there was a certain atmosphere. Compared to reality, in my dreams, I always felt like I was in control of everything. If I wanted someone to say something, they said it, and if I wanted something to happen, it happened. This dream was different though. Distinctively different. I didn’t feel as though I controlled it. If anything, it felt as though it controlled me. This dream just made my throat dry and my heart race.
As suddenly as I'd been drawn to the bookcases, I turned away from them and then the same thing would happen every time I dreamt that dream. I would notice an old, battered chest placed on the pale coloured mat in front of the fireplace. The wooden chest was a light brown colour, worn out by age. I realised that it was slightly ajar.
Before I had a chance to do anything else, a noise interrupted me. It was a groaning noise that made my stomach turn. Spinning around, I look towards the corner at the very back of the perfectly kept room. Placed there was a wooden chair that matched the rest of the furniture in the room. The chair wasn’t what interested me though. I didn’t care about that. I stared at it, wide eyed. What interested me was the woman.
Sitting on the small chair was a fragile looking woman whose head was bent down to face the polished floor. She didn’t speak; I wasn’t even sure if she knew I was there. I didn’t even know if I was truly there. Shutting my eyes for a brief few seconds, I reopened them again to look at the woman carefully. Her long dark hair was tied into a ponytail that fell just below her shoulders and she wore a navy coloured t-shirt with a pair of old, fitted jeans.
I didn’t know how it happened but the next thing I knew, I was standing in front of the woman. Nothing had changed though; her hand was still hung low. The only difference was that I could tell that she was crying now. She was mumbling something to herself, and annoyingly, I couldn’t understand what she was saying. Simply gawking at her, I fiddled with my sweaty hands. I wanted to call out. I wanted to ask her what was wrong, but I simply couldn't. Frustratingly, it was as if there was some kind of force stopping me from doing so.
That was when it happened. All of a sudden, the woman slowly lifted her head. I breathed in deeply as the woman’s bloodshot, hazel eyes locked into mine and that was it. That was all she did for the next few minutes and those minutes dragged on horribly. The woman was silent now, uncomfortably silent. There was nothing to be heard but the sound of my heavy breathing. Still staring at me, the dark haired woman's chapped lips opened.
“Help me,” she whispered. “You have to help me save Tori.”
After that, I woke up.
As my eyes shot open, all of the images in my head were replaced by darkness. Every single detail of my dream spiralled around in my head, making me ask myself so many questions. The first one being, was I some kind of mentalist? Seeing ghosts was one thing, but when they started appearing in my dreams, it all got too much. What was it about that woman that made me feel so uncomfortable? Who on earth was Tori? What was so special about that particular room? Did it even exist? I shook the thoughts out of my head, getting a grip of reality.
With my heart racing as though it was trying to escape from my chest, I could hear myself breathing short breaths. My hands were shaking as I sat up in my bed, rubbing my eyes.
Sometimes it felt as though someone was watching me in the darkness of my bedroom. For the first few nights I had that dream, I assumed that it was Annabel. When I was younger, she would often stay with me while I slept. I used to find it comforting knowing that she was there. She never really did that anymore though. It would get to a point where I would wonder if I was simply being paranoid. There wasn’t anyone in my room with me, right?
The feeling of being watched was the least of my problems; I had something bigger on my mind. That something was the woman in my dream. She didn’t scare me and I wasn’t worried that she would hurt me; that wasn’t what made the cold sweat run down my forehead like a river as I lay in my bed at night. That wasn’t the reason why I woke up gasping for air or why I wasn’t able to go back to sleep. I knew who that woman was. She was the woman who I’d met earlier that day. She was the spirit in my Science class.
Last edited by Sins on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:36 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

Hey there Skinny! I'm here to review like you asked.

That night was when the nightmares began.

This seems a bit wordier than necessary. I think the line would make a greater impact if it was shorter. Maybe something along the lines of: That night, the nightmares began. See what I mean?

There was a large, cream sofa at the back of the room which was facing a stone fireplace.

This lines makes me feel like it was put in the wrong spot. I mean it does have something to do with the living room, but it makes me think 'So what?'

I didn’t know what it was, but there was something unnerving about the books that stood inside the shelves of the bookcases. They didn’t look out of place, but that was the problem. Every single book was set into place perfectly, almost as if they were hiding something.

This bit here seems overly paranoid. I understand what you're getting at here, but I think that maybe you should tone it down a bit so it doesn't become melodramatic.

After turning away from the bookcases, the same thing would happen every time I dreamt that dream.

I think you should mention that this is a recurring nightmare closer to the beginning of this piece. It would allow some well-needed narrative and we can get a sense of anxiety.

Sitting on the small chair was a fragile looking woman whose head was bent down to face the polished floor.

She didn’t speak; I wasn’t even sure if she knew I was there.

I didn’t know how it happened but the next thing I knew, I was standing in front of the woman.

Nothing had changed though; her head still hung low.

All of a sudden, the woman looked up by slowly lifting her head.

The part in red seems unnecessary. If you wanted to keep that bit of description you could replace it with the part that says 'the woman looked up.' I hope that made sense.

For the first few nights, I assumed that it was Annabel.

The first few nights of what?

The feeling of being watched was the least of my problems; I had something bigger on my mind.

She didn’t scare me and I wasn’t worried that she would hurt me; that wasn’t what made the cold sweat run down my forehead as I lay in my bed at night.

All in all,
I think this piece needs more narrative to have the desired affect. I understand that it's supposed to be eerie and spooky, but I can't really feel anything Maxxie is feeling. It doesn't seem like he's feeling much of anything actually. Wouldn't he be having some kind of reaction to this dream besides just watching and looking on? Would his heart be racing; would he be wary? That kind of thing works wonders in nightmare pieces. I have some first hand experience. xD I can get the feeling that this is an important, but I think that you try a bit too hard to impress that on the reader. What I mean is that it feels melodramatic, but we also don't get enough of what Maxxie is feeling. If that makes any sense. xD Also, I noticed that you had a few comma splices, so I fixed them. Just remember that if there are two full sentences and you don't want to separate them with a period, you use a semi colon.

Hope I helped!

Always,
Danie
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:46 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey Skins.
And Danie, she isn't skinny. She is good. :)

It would be the same every night I dreamt it.
Well, oh well, this sentence confused em a hell. It would be? It might just be me. But you can do with changing it to something more understandable.

There was a sofa, two windows, a fireplace, a rug on the floor and a few exotic plants dotted around.
The word 'few' is plural so you cannot use 'a' for it which is a singular form.

If I wanted someone to say something, they said it, and if I wanted something to happen, it happened.
There's this little suggestion I would like to give to you. Instead of 'it happened' or 'they said'. how about 'it would happen' and 'they would say it'. There's nothing wrong with what you wrote but just personally I would like it this way-the way I told you.

This dream just made my throat dry and my heart race.
I think the dry throat thing was pretty good but the heart reaing can be expanded more as in you can really tell us more about Maxxie's feelings. Right now, we just have an idea. But I would love to see and read what exactly he feels.

Seeing ghosts was one thing, but when they started appearing in my dreams, it all got too much.
For me, dreaming for ghosts is normal to an extent but seeing them is paranoid. i think this statement is contradicting what people have in their minds. :)

Well, Skins, I don't know what to say as I didn't encounter any problem with this. Your writing was the best till now, and it really seems that you have left the Writer's Block a way behind. I am just hoping to kick out mine, too. :)

This story, after this chapter now actually looks scary to me, and really for the first time I could actually imagine everything going on in my hand. I really don't have any clues on what more does this story has in store for us. I had never imagined that Victoria was going to be something something. :wink:. Only what is left to see is what exactly is the case with the room, who exactly is this Tori and how is this whole dream going to change Max's life.

If this ever was to be published, it would later prove to be a good adaption and story line for a Motion movie as I have already told earlier, too.

What I really liked here was that you didn't have any clumps of descriptions here, but still it was all vivid, and I was actually able to paint the image in my mind. Also, your improvement in the commas is remarkable and I yet have to master this act, and I hope I can.

Just a small nit-pick here, which is very important, though.
Seeing ghosts was one thing, but when they started appearing in my dreams, it all got too much.
For me, dreaming for ghosts is normal to an extent but seeing them is paranoid. I think this statement is contradicting what people have in their minds. Many a times, we also imagine and dream about ghostly things, but then we aren't considered to be paranoid or mental, are we? Do you understand what I mean by this?

Your writing has failed me in my reviewing. :(

Just keep on writing, and please do post the other chapter quickly. You shouldn't make us wait.

~Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:18 am
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Skins,

But OF COURSE I want to read this! I pleaded with you to restart posting, didn't I? ;)

Well, I really liked this chapter. I did feel like pinkangel that you were trying to bring us somewhere but not quite succeeding. My suggestion would be to cut half of what you've written because it seems a little repetitive. Try this; read it out loud. What I mean, is that Maxxie keeps repeating himself. (walked to the bookcase, looked at the books, turned from the bookcase, stare at fire, turn back to bookcase, stroke the spine of the books, turn from...) You see what I mean?

I did find that the tension was building because my eyes were glued to the screen as I devoured this one. It was my favourite piece of yours, I believe. But maybe you could expand a bit on what Maxxie's feeling. He says that he realised that this dream is different, that his heart is racing (loved the visual of the countdown, by the way) and that his hands are sweaty but that's it. Why doesn't he call out? You said that he can't control the dream, but he walks over to the bookcase to stroke the books. see what I mean?

That's all I have for now, hope it was helpful, would you PM me for the next one?

Tanya :D

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:56 am
View Likes
Yuriiko says...

HI there Skinnykins! (haha)

Spoiler! :
I was supposed to review this one yesterday, but accidentally deleted it and I was so sleepy that I didn't have the energy to rewrite it again. *ugh*Sorry.

I'm not going to nitpick every line because the three critiques above has said already the things that I've noticed too.

First and foremost, I should admit that you kind of lack some inspiration here. It's because in my opinion, this is all blandly written. I'm not saying this is boring but how you write your main character's dream and everything, isn't so climatic and fascinating. I can see though that you're really good at 'showing'; a definite high spot on you. However, how about letting us feel your character's point of view through her sense of smell, touch, hearing, etcetera, because you almost write the plot though his sense of sight (the bookcase, fireplace, and so many more).

Second, I want to nitpick or comment on one particular paragraph:

This dream was different though. Distinctively different. I didn’t feel as though I controlled it. If anything, it felt as though it controlled me. This dream just made my throat dry and my heart race.

I suggest that you extend more of this. Why is it so 'distinctively' different apart from her dreams before? Show us.
Does it really have to be your main character who control his dream? And how about making Maxxie think of something about the different dream. Let him hypothesize about it; why, who, what, and so on.

Third, I would like to clarify of your setting. As far as I know, well yeah, you showed to us that it is a living room. But with the bookcase, fireplace and all, I'm imagining it as a small library or a small study room. I mean, just think of a modern living room; there's a television, sofa and many others. But yours feel totally like an old living room, a classical type or something like that. (and I think your plot is set in modern times now... not sure. >.<)

Good things:

Like I said before, you did a good job at 'showing'. And your verb consistency is all over this piece. And your grammars and spellings are really good! *claps*
And about the 'tension-heart-racing-and-shivering-spine' effect you're creating here, I could see that you're definitely good at those stuffs. I must say I'm quite impressed. :D

When all's said and done, I think this has a potential to turn into a good chapter of your novel. Though in my opinion, you need to review some of your paragraphs here. Kicking aside those negative nitpicks and comments, I'm thanking you for the good read and also for requesting my my WRFF thread. hehe.
Hope I helped. PM me for questions. :wink:

Keep writing!

Peace out! :smt004

~yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:25 am
Sins says...

Thanks for all of the reviews, guys. They really do help!

I agree with what you're saying as well. Thanks for pointing the issues out for me. I'm going to go back and edit this and hopefully, I'll be able to improve it somewhat.

Thanks again! :D
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore