Reviews: 56
Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:42 pm
blackbird12 says...

The air wet with blood,
The sound of organs stirring.
Raw red curtains rapidly unfurling.

A sight veiled in water,
A coruscating disk.
Sterile walls slanting into stark square.

Through the caul, a warped reflection:
Emerging shrill from a fleshy hothouse,
Crushed beneath wheels of fluorescence.
Tender pink skin laced with blue veins,
And eyes of indefinite hue.

A splash is heard and the cord is cut.
The tension deafens all sound -
But the plunge of first breath is hollow.

It’s a sensation without victory but it lingers,
New yet familiar, like an old scar bleeding afresh.
Veins thicken, eyes bulge, and a howl shatters the silence.

(edited it because I totally agree about the old final line)
Last edited by blackbird12 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I had wings, I would have opened them.
I would have risen from the ground.

-Mary Oliver

318 Reviews

Reviews: 318
Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:00 am
Abigail_W. says...

Your descriptions are so fresh and brilliant, Blackbird12! Pregnancy itself is often written about (especially how the woman got pregnant), but I think it's fair to say that the actual process of giving birth itself is one of the most uncharted ideas in poetry. This piece is purely beautiful.

I have one nitpick, though. Throughout the poem, you use new adjectives and your sentences are complex and well-formed. Then, at the end, the reader is just sort of let down. Oh, I guess it's dauntless, full, and real. I mean, use these three words, but think of some cleverer way to use them! You thought of this whole beautiful poem; it couldn't be that hard to end it off well.

Anyway, thanks for reading my review, and I hope you'll take my advice!

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:42 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

Well, I liked the beginning a lot more than the end. This is because the beginning opened so vividly, using imaginative and open-minded expression, but that raw emotion sort of dwindled before fading towards the end. My advice would really be to find another note to end it on, just because I think it could be a really great piece if it ended the right way.
Overall, though, it was pretty good.
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:04 am
Wolferion says...

Cheers! I'm here as asked. As this is a poem I'll first put my opinion as a 'reader' at each stanza.

Spoiler! :
The air wet with blood,
The sound of organs stirring.
Raw red curtains rapidly unfurling.
- An interesting opening stanza indeed, I wouldn't expect somebody to start a poem about 'Birth' like this. I lost my rhythm here a bit, but interested, I continue on.

A sight veiled in water,
A coruscating disk.
Sterile walls slanting into stark square.
- I was bugged here by the fact I couldn't find a rhythm to read it. Each line is of different length and doesn't rhyme ( yes I figured it's a free rhyme poem, though it's just a bit troublesome reading a poem with a broken rhythm ), but it's still got a good imaginery, I continue on.

Through the caul, a warped reflection:
Emerging shrill from a fleshy hothouse,
Crushed beneath wheels of fluorescence.
Tender pink skin laced with blue veins,
And eyes of indefinite hue.
- A change in pattern, though a good one. Leaving aside the rhythm ( which is not so broken here as in the stanza before ), I had to reread this twice and try to imagine it with the pictures given. A third stanza and the way you describe the birth still interests me to read further.

A splash is heard and the cord is cut.
The tension deafens all sound -
But the plunge of first breath is hollow.
- I was a bit lost here to be honest. Took me a bit to digest it, but then I found myself nodding to the fact it's good in terms of surreality.

It’s a sensation without victory but it lingers,
New yet familiar, like an old scar bleeding afresh.
Veins thicken, eyes bulge - this life is accepted.
- Probably my the most favorite stanza of this whole poem. I just liked the description here, felt like a description of an epic moment.

All is dauntless, full and real.
- Er... Alright. This stanza is just one line, it completely broke the pattern given and... Hm, it just felt really simple in comparison to the abstract and surreal imaginery you gave us in previous stanzas. An epic moment vanished with those words.

I'll excuse myself for mentioning the rhythm, but that's pretty much what I focus on a lot in poetry. I got engraved in my mind that poems just should have a good rhythm the reader would enjoy riding on from the start to the end. I kept changing my rhythm of reading in this poem, but then again it can be just me with the old traditions. As it's free rhyme poem, there's nothing I could try editting for the rhythm. I'll put this whole trouble of mine aside.

Back to the good points - It felt surreal and abstract, the pictures given were ones you just don't get to imagine often, almost never. I really liked the imaginery here, so that's + for your skills. I checked the small reviews before me and I'll agree with them - the last stanza just needs to be changed. It was just like everything was crushed. All the imaginery and epic feeling just got a deadly hit and fell to the ground. I'm not saying it was so bad, but I still think it could be better.

With this I'd like to take my leave and wish you good luck at writing! You've got what it takes to write some really good poems with that imaginery of yours, so trully, keep it up!

Best wishes,
Kyou
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 am
Firestarter says...

Hey blackbird,

My number one concern with this is that it's all descriptive. You know how to paint a scene with words but you don't seem to have grasped how to how underlying meanings and alternative understandings within your poems. I would have preferred this if it had more of a point to it, short of portraying a birth in a raw way. You have the potential to do a lot with your poetry, and I'd like to see more forays into more elusive, ambiguous territory.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:53 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Hey Blackbird! Here to review. : )

So this was pretty good. You have a definite grasp of imagery, and it really shows in this. You've described things in such a way that it's not completely obvious what you're talking about, but I can still decipher it. In other words, you're showing, not telling. :D That's great!

My only qualm about this is just what Firestarter said: It's all description. There is no real solid narrator of the story, and I think that takes away from what good you already have, since all I have to hold on to are a bunch of visuals, with not much emotion coming through (this would be solved mainly by having a concrete narration). The perspective that this is being told in is like some kind of blurry third person, which I don't particularly care for.

Next time, maybe switch it up a little. Try first person, or make your third person narrations more concrete. I think this would help you. :D

Hope this makes sense!
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

A Prince of Darkness Is a Gentleman
— William Shakespeare