z

Young Writers Society

Story Five-The Endless Garden gets Three more Black Flowers

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:01 am
Riveneye says...

Well here's the fifth story in that collection of short stories. I'm more excited as I get closer to finishing editing all of the stories. So I thank everyone for all of their much needed critque.

The endless garden gets three more black flowers
I could not believe it. What was in front of me was unreal. My mind simply refused to accept it, thinking there must be some mistake. I looked down at the piece of paper that the employment office had given me. I looked at the street, the house number, and I knew that this was the place.
Paradise manor, made and owned by, Alexander Thrush. The greatest man the world had ever known. He was so wise and adept at the magic arts that there was nothing that he couldn’t do. And because all the things he did were not cheap, he was one of the wealthiest men ever.
Ever since I was a little boy I had dreamed of going to the Thrush estate. Now that I was sixteen and ripe for employment I would finally get my chance.
I swallowed as my heart pounded. I walked past the perfect lawn and hedges, to the beautiful front door. I ran the doorbell, and a beautiful song rang through the house. I waited for a butler to open the door, but when it opened, Alex himself was standing there. He looked quite handsome with his dark brown hair and his suit and tie. He was only in his twenties but he had the air of someone older and experienced.
“ Oh, Mr. Alex!” I stammered, shaking.
“Ah, the new help has arrived.” He said, speaking with a hint of a musical tone. “Come in” I stepped in, looked around, and was completely overwhelmed. People who had been inside paradise manor said it made the Taj Mahal look like a shack. This was a huge understatement.
On the walls were magnificent tapestries, woven with master hands, gorgeous silk, and gold. A massive chandelier was hanging near the front door, with so much crystal that the ceiling was covered in a spiraling rainbow. What I noticed the most as he led me through the house was the woodworking. The several staircases that were going up and down, beautiful mahogany handrails were polished to a shine. Plus several flawless woodcarvings that looked real enough to come to life.
This man, I thought as he lead me into a smaller, less elaborate room, has more money in one room then the city makes in a year. “Would you like something to drink?” he said, sitting down in a chair. “Tea, coffee, water?” Not wanting to be rude, I sat down opposite of him and asked for some tea.
He moved his hands in a few jerky motions, then watched as a cast iron tea pot came floating through the door, followed by two cast iron cups. Again his hands moved, and the bottom of the tea pot became red hot. A few more hand movements and the teapot poured the steaming tea into a cup, which floated over into my hand. He laughed when he saw the completely bewildered look on my face
“I’m sorry if that was too much, but I can’t help showing off to my gests.” He gently grasped the cup out of mid air and pointed to a nearby coffee table. The floating teacup got the message and nestled itself next to my arm on the table.
“I do hope you like the tea.” He said, sipping some. “I made it myself.”
“It’s very good, sir.” I said, taking a sip as well. It was good, as well as unique.
“Oh, none of that ‘sir’ stuff.” He said, waving his hand in the air. “If you’re going to be working for me, we are going to be friends, not stuffy ‘co-workers.’”
“Ok.” I said tentatively. “But what work am I going to be doing?”
“Ah, yes.” He said. “The reason you’re here. As you may have noticed, I have a grand collection of wood, thanks to my father, who stayed with me for a long time.” His face darkened. “But he has passed on, leaving me alone in this big house.”
“You’re not married?” I said, surprised.
“Na, too many choices. Anyway, this house is collecting dust faster than I can clean it, so I need some help.”
“A maid?” I said, beginning to understand why he greeted me at the door.
“Room and board will be provided of course. There are a ton of rooms that I’m not using.” He sipped his tea. “But if I were you, I’d do my own cooking. Tea is the only thing I can make without a poisoning risk.” I smiled. He sounded like a fun person to work for.
“I can cook and clean.” I said
“Good!” he said, setting his tea down. “Then let’s talk paychecks. What would you like to get paid?”
As it turned out, he was a fun man to work for. He was kind, witty, and eager to help with whatever he could, except in the kitchen. Things got even better when he learned I could draw. He started me right away on adding to the house with paintings and drawings. So now three days later, I found myself doing a portrait of him, while he took a very distinguishing pose.
‘I don’t know how you do it.” He said struggling to keep as still as possible. “You draw so magnificently, and I can’t draw to save my life.” I opened my mouth to answer but at that moment the window behind me shattered. A man wearing a black ski mask jumped through the window, pistol in hand.
“Hands on your head!” he shouted, and we both obeyed quickly. He then whistled, and two more men in black ski masks jumped through the broken window.
“Alright you!” The last one to jump through shouted with pistol also in hand. “Take us to where you keep your magic!” Hearing this, my boss sighed.
“Oh come on!” he said angrily. “I already dealt with two of you last week.”
“They were not good enough.” The other man said in annoyance. “Now start moving.” So Alex got up and started walking out of the room. I followed closely behind, and the gunmen followed closely behind. “This has happened before?” I whispered to him
“Yea, it happens every once in a while.” He said, totally unconcerned. “Nobody can rob the house, so everyone tries.”
“Then you have a plan?”
“Yep just keep walking.” He said as he led the four of us into the basement that he asked me on my first day to never go into. It was a flight of stairs that led down for a long time, until we came to a steel door. My boss stopped, made some very quick and complex hand movements, and watched as the door opened.
He walked thorough, as did I. I looked at the steel door, and noticed the word paradise was engraved in the door. Then the gunmen pushed me along, and I looked at the room we entered. Only it wasn’t a room. It was like being outside, only the sky was white. And on the ground were flowers. Red flowers, pink flowers, tiny flowers, mammoth flowers, flowers as far as the eye could see. Everything else was white and endless, so they really stood out. I just stood there looking out, mouth open. I’m sure the gunmen were doing the same thing.
“Come on!” said Alex, snapping me out of it. “It’s this way.” So we all hurried to catch up with him. I forgot that my life was in jeopardy. I forgot a lot of things. The bliss that was in my mind was peaceful and infinite. We followed Alex for a long time, during which I noticed that no two flowers were the same. There were some that probably don’t exist, but they were definitely all different in one way or another. Yet they were all beautiful, and the sight and smell of each one pushed me into a deeper and deeper bliss.
Then Alex stopped, and a dull thought prodded my mind. Why are there so many black flowers here? They were all still different, but the black stood out. Alex called to the gunmen, who drifted over to him, deep in bliss as well. He told them to stay still, and they did so. His hands moved rapidly, and then he pushed down on each of their heads. When he pushed, they shrank away. They kept shrinking, and changing ever so slightly, until three more flowers were added to the endless garden. They were the same color as the ski masks.
Satisfied, Alex directed me back to the door. The moment I went through, thoughts started coming back into my head. It felt like hanging upside-down, when all the blood rushes to your head. It made me dizzy. But Alex kept leading me, up the stairs and back into the less fancy sitting room. He told me to sit, which helped my head. After sitting opposite and inspecting me for a moment, he sat back and nodded.
“You seem to be alright.” He said getting some tea the old fashioned way.
“That was amazing!” I told him. “What was that?” He calmly sipped his tea then said, “did you know that paradise is a Turkish word? They were very into gardens. But it turns out that paradise is bliss. The greatest thing that a genius could have.”
He continued sipping his tea, calm as ever. “It helps me with inspiration, and helps me sort through my thoughts. The magic was an unexpected byproduct.” He then chuckled. “It’s funny. I have all the wealth in the world and more, but nobody tries for any of it. They all think I’ve got a statue somewhere that grants magic, or a stick I wave around.” He finished he’s tea, then got up. “Well, I guess I need to find another window.”
He was at the door when I called “Can I go back?”
He stopped, pondered for a moment, and then said, “I wouldn’t recommend it. Even if you are careful, too much bliss can rob the mind of thought or intelligence. It’s best savored when it’s sparingly experienced.” He smiled, then left, leaving me to ponder that and to sip some magnificent tea.
Fiction flight is almost here. Check us out on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fiction-Flight/130489243696865
(yea we don't have a website casue we can't think of a publishing name yet.)

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:07 pm
Wolferion says...

I'll start with grammar. What I put in quotes is what I fixed and next to it my comment.

Grammar
Paradise manor, made and owned by Alexander Thrush.
- I don't you think a comma before 'Alexander'.
I walked past the perfect lawn and hedges to the beautiful front door.
- Same thought, no comma before 'to'.
“Come in.” I stepped in, looked around, and was completely overwhelmed.
- I think there should be a dot or at last comma in 'Come in' .
He laughed when he saw the completely bewildered look on my face.
- You're missing a dot at the end of sentence.
“I’m sorry if that was too much, but I can’t help showing off to my guests.”
- It's guests, not gests =)
“Room and board will be provided of course. There are tons of rooms that I’m not using.” He sipped his tea.
- I dislike the idea of 'a ton of' , 'tons of' sounds better to me. But then again, english's my 3rd language.
“You draw so magnificently and I can’t draw to save my life.” I opened my mouth to answer but at that moment the window behind me shattered.
- This isn't the first time I've noticed that... Don't you use too darn many commas before 'and'? Usually 'and' needs no comma, only if you input a side sentence between two main sentences.
I followed closely behind, and the gunmen followed closely behind. “This has happened before?” I whispered to him.
- Where's the dot at the end of sentence? =)
“Yep, just keep walking.” He said as he led the four of us into the basement that he asked me on my first day to never go into.
- I think there should be comma after Yep.
He walked through, as did I.
- I think you meant through.
I looked at the steel door and noticed the word paradise was engraved in the door
- I think I've seen enough commas for today. No need for comma before 'and' there.
Then the gunmen pushed me along and I looked at the room we entered.
- Again?
On the ground were flowers.
- I think it's better without And.
Then Alex stopped and a dull thought prodded my mind.
- That's the last time I'm removing the comma before 'and' when it's just two main sentences =) Let me just say it again. There's comma before 'and' when you put a side sentence ( like a sentence with description of previous ) between two main sentences. When it's just two main sentences, there's no need to put comma before 'and'. Check it further by yourself =) I'd have too many quotes there with just comma mentioned.
“That was amazing!” I told him. “What was that?”
He calmly sipped his tea then said: “Did you know that paradise is a Turkish word? They were very into gardens. But it turns out that paradise is bliss. The greatest thing that a genius could have.”
- You need to put 'He calmly' away from the 'What was that?', because it makes confusion at first look. Also 'Did you' starts with big letter after : which I put, because I think it's better than putting another comma.

Overall

To be honest, this was yet another of your stories to read ( After the story with a boy giving blood ). Magic is nothing new, but magic as a byproduct of flowers and a link to Turkish wisdom were quite interesting. I enjoyed reading this piece of work except the commas that made me turn on a music after a few moments to keep my head cool xD Description is top notch for my eyes and story telling too, so I'm pretty much positive about a good read and quality =) As before, there's nothing that major going on for me to mention, so that's pretty much it.

Keep writing and good luck!
Kyou
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:45 pm
Kale says...

Kyousuke was pretty thorough with the grammar, so I won't mention anything on it.

The one thing I noticed reading this story was that you used a lot of passive tense. Now, normally I don't mind passive tense, and I usually don't notice it in a story, but there was so much of it, especially in the descriptions, that it stood out to me.

Passive tense, if you aren't already aware, is when the subject of a sentence receives or indirectly performs an action. Ex: A massive chandelier was hanging near the front door. Passive tense can give your story a more detached and sleepy feel, but too much passive tense can bore your readers.

Active tense, however, has the subject directly involved in the action. Ex: He moved his hands in a few jerky motions. Because the action is more immediate and direct active tense tends to keeps your readers more engaged in the story.

As far as fixes go, this is a pretty easy one. You just simply reword your sentences so that the subjects are directly performing the action. You can usually do this by changing out the "was verbing" for a single, descriptive verb. Taking the chandelier example, it could become "A massive chandelier hung near the front door."

As far as pacing goes, I felt that it jumped around a little in places, which made this story feel a bit fast, overall. The main issue, I think, is how you transition from scene to scene. There isn't much of one. Rosey Unicorn has written an article on pacing which you might find helpful.

Overall, this was a pretty good story. A bit of polishing, and I can see this becoming a very good read.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead