z

Young Writers Society

Blue (Colour contest entry)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 28, 2010 8:04 pm
Rosendorn says...

For Lava's contest.

Click on attachments so you don't have to scroll.

Blue Photo:

Jailbird
JailBird_Edited.jpg
JailBird_Edited.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 322 times

Edit: Cropped photo, and the mode for the camera made everything slightly more blue.

Original:

Spoiler! :
JailBird.jpg
JailBird.jpg (95.48 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Last edited by Rosendorn on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Fri May 28, 2010 9:11 pm
lilymoore says...

Hey there Rosey!

So I’ll say right off the bat that I love Jailbird, even if it isn’t really a black. But as an image, I think it has a really kickin’ impact. It’s bold and very simple. The super bright aspect of the bottom right hand corner is a little distracting to the eye. It seems to kind of distract from the otherwise dark aspect of the picture.

As far as the second picture, White Out, goes, I think there is too much white but that has more to do with the way you cropped the picture. This would have been a really cool, almost panoramic sort of picture. Very short and very wide. The way it is now, it’s really just a lot of white and it’s a little difficult to look at for very long. Also, again, the blue tint is a little distracting since you were going for a black/white effect.

But as the contest rules go, as she said, it’s about the interpretation, not just the execution.
*huggles*

Good luck with the contest, Rosey!
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat May 29, 2010 4:01 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Hiya,

So I didn't really like either of these photos. Neither were visually stimulating, and I think there are a lot better ways that you could make use of the color that you were given/chosen (I don't know how the contest works, exactly) in my opinion.

Let's start off with the first photo. I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to be. I read the title of your attachment, and then I thought, "Oh, well that sort of makes sense". My main problem with the picture is that the focus is cooped up in a in-your-face zoomed in awkward angle. I like what you're trying to do with the tilt, but it just makes everything seem a little dizzying, sort of like the picture is going to topple over at any moment. If you try to zoom out, we'll get to see a lot more, and thus maybe the photo can speak for itself and you wont have to have your title snap us out of confusion. :P

The second photo is a little better, but my main problem is the amount of blankness we have to look at before we get to the actual content of the photo. That being said, what am I supposed to focus on? The houses? All the blank is really distracting, so you could probably crop some of it out. This is also the photo in which my comment at the beginning paragraph applies. With a first one you had a natural color, and that's part of what made it stunning in a way. Here you can see all the editing you've done. It's just a scene that's been whited out. In my opinion, it would be a little more profound if you chose to create a natural white focus, just because there'd be a genuine quality to the picture.

Anyway, good luck in the contest, and PM me or find me in chat if you need anything.

-Elinor x

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat May 29, 2010 4:57 pm
Kale says...

The first photo is my favorite. I really like the slightly bluish tint everything has, especially the metal bars; it's lovely. I also like how stark the bars are against the cloudless blue of the sky.

I do think the composition could have used some slight tweaking. Right now, in the upper left corner, there's just a hint of another bar. I think the photo would have looked better if the entire scene had been shifted slightly more to the right so that the bar fragment wouldn't be visible and you get a little more of the side of the window. Failing that, cropping the left side also works well.

As far as the second photo goes, it feels far too washed out to me. Also, the composition could use a lot of work. Depending on what you want the focus of the photo to be, cropping it so that it's more of a panoramic view or the trailer is one option. The other option would be to crop it so that it's narrower and the focus is more on the stretch of sky above the trailer.

In either case, you could probably crop off 5-10 pixels off the bottom; right now, it's just extra white space, and it's a bit overwhelming when combined with the sky. Also, increasing the contrast of the trailer and trees so that it's darker and more solid versus their current washed-out state would be a good idea. If you have Photoshop, it's just a matter of using the square selection tool and modifying the contrast settings/levels. I suggest using the levels if you know how as it'll give you more control over which parts darken/lighten by how much.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:08 pm
Firearris says...

Hey, Rosey! =]

Ooh, very nice. I keep forgetting that I was going to enter this contest. o.o

Those are both nice, though I have to admit I like the blue better. It's a nicer picture and it represents the color better than the other one represents white. The white one just seems faded and almost bad qualityish, sorry!

Good luck with the contest, Rose.

~Heather
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

Noelle, you can lead a writer to their computer and give them coffee, but you can't make them write.
— CowLogic