z

Young Writers Society

Gingerbread [Edited]

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Tue May 11, 2010 5:40 pm
Luvzi12 says...

This is my final creative writing project in my third year of university; it is also the first creative writing project I've done whilst at uni, so I would love a good grade! With this in mind, please don't be worried about being over critical! Every piece of advice or feedback (good or bad) would be appreciated. So please, tear it apart! Thank you! Also, this is in a series of seven, I am currently finishing writing the rest :)

NB Thanks to all the people who've commented so far, I have edited the piece accordingly.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Gingerbread

Once upon a time, in a remote village surrounded by woods and mountains lived a family: Susan, David and their twin children, Harry and Grace. If you know twins, you’ll be aware that they don’t always get along, but Harry and Grace were not like other twins, not at all.

Harry and Grace spent all their time together and despised being apart. If a teacher ever dared to separate them or scold them for passing notes, something bad was sure to happen to them. Their first teacher, Mr Golden, made the mistake of trying to separate the twins in class; that day Mr. Golden’s car brakes failed, he crashed into a tree and died. The twins’ next teacher was Miss Fine. Her motto was ‘if the child errs, the child should be punished’. After giving the children detention for talking in class, Miss Fine mysteriously fell down a flight of stairs.

Occurrences such as these soon became commonplace around the twins and the adults in the village began to leave them to their own devices. The other children avoided playing games with them, disliking the twins’ eerie vacant stares and whispered conversations between one another. It was not just the villagers who were wary of the twins, but the their own parents. At home the atmosphere was tense as Harry and Grace’s parents tried hard to please the children, fearing that if they angered them something bad would happen to them.

One night as the twins’ parents lay in bed, they aired their worries about the twins and began to concoct a plan, “We have to get rid of them,” Susan muttered.

“What?” cried David. Despite his fear of the children, he still loved them and always had hope that one day they would be loving, normal children.

“You know it’s our only option. Our children are evil!”

“Evil? Susan, how can you say this? They’re our children! Surely it’s just a phase they’re going through? They’re growing up, we can’t turn our backs on them.”

“Remember the fire, David? The fire brigade couldn’t confirm it was arson, but you must admit it was suspicious. One minute Mrs Macready is telling them to stop throwing stones at her house, the next minute it was burnt to the ground. The best thing for us, for the village and for the children is to let them go.”

“So what do you suggest we do? Put them up for adoption? Get them fostered?”

“No. None of that. Adoption agencies won’t separate two children from their natural parents unless they absolutely have to. Besides, our children have a reputation in this village, no one will take them. We’ll have to rid ourselves of them another way.”

“How? You’re not suggesting murder?” David asked incredulously, with wide eyes and slack jaw.

“No, not murder! But you know as well as I do that the children are… special. They’re self-sufficient in their own way. I suggest we leave them in the woods. We’ll give them some food to last them for a while, but leave them deep enough in the woods that they can never come back.”

“But what if they can’t take care of themselves? This is practically murder! It’s abandonment! We can’t do this to our own children!” David argued in hushed tones.

“It’s the only option we have. They can’t stay here anymore. We’ll set off tomorrow morning and walk as deep into the woods as we can, then we’ll leave them there. I promise you, everything will work out for the best. We’ll tell the villagers that the children ran away, everyone will be so happy to see them gone that they won’t question it,” whispered Susan.

“I guess we have no choice,” David resigned and rolled over to sleep, thinking of his children tucked up in bed, unsuspecting of their fate the next day.

Little did they know, the children were not sleeping. They lay in their beds, side-by-side, staring at the ceiling, listening to every word their parents had said. Grace turned to look into Harry’s grey eyes; Harry mirrored her in both actions and appearance, and they began to make a plan.

The twins woke at dawn the next day, dressed and went down to the breakfast table as their mother began to dish up food for them.

“Eat up children. Your father and I have decided we should all go out as a family. We’ve packed some bags and we’re going to go for a walk in the woods, won’t that be exciting?”

The children stared blankly back at their mother and for a moment her chest tightened as she feared their reaction to this news.

“That’s fine, mother,” answered Grace.

“Sounds delightful,” Harry concurred without smiling; the twins simultaneously lifted their spoons and finished their cereal.

Half an hour later the family set off into the woods, and surprisingly, the twins were smiling and talkative.

“Mother, look! A butterfly!” Grace would shout, her face aglow with happiness.

“It smells so wonderful out here in the woods,” Harry said happily, whilst sniffing flowers.

David couldn’t believe the change in the children and whispered to Susan, “Perhaps we shouldn’t leave them out here, after all?”

“We’ll walk until night time and then decide,” she replied, untrusting of the children’s new attitudes.

And walk they did. As the sun began to dip below the mountains Harry and Grace continued smiling, and their parents began to reconsider their plan. Unfortunately for them, the twins had not questioned theirs. Now they were deep in the woods, the twins’ parents walked a little way ahead of them. Harry picked up a large, white lump of stone and Grace grabbed a sharp shard of rock that had fallen from the mountains. Harry walked slowly behind his father, gripping the rock in his hand.

“Dad?”

“Yes, son?” David asked and turned around to face him, but was confronted with Harry’s stone. Harry began to beat him over the head with it, smashing his father’s skull and crumbling him to the ground. Susan screamed, she threw her hands to her face, peeking through her fingers to see her dead husband lying on the leaf-littered floor.

Grace turned to her screaming mother and said, “His death was quick, but yours will not be. You shouldn’t have tried to leave us. You took us into this world, now we will take you out.” Grace jumped on her mother, pushing her to the floor, and began to stab her repeatedly in the stomach and breast. Susan screamed again, but there was no one around to hear. When Grace’s arms began to get tired, Harry smashed the white stone on his mother’s face and she was dead.

“What do we do now, Harry?” Grace asked casually, looking down at the crushed skulls of her parents.

“We find somewhere to live,” he replied, dropping the bloodstained rock to the floor. “We can live without them. We never needed them anyway, come on.” Harry took her hand and they walked away, leaving the two corpses behind them.

After a short walk the children found a stream and washed the blood off their hands, faces and clothes.

“Hey, what’s that?” Harry pointed to a pillar of smoke rising from the trees.

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s a campfire? Let’s go see.”

The children followed the smoke, but to their surprise they didn’t find a campfire, but a small cottage. From far away the house looked like it was made out of sweets. The gutters resembled pink icing, the doorframes and windowpanes looked like candy canes and the walls like gingerbread. The children looked at one another, unsure whether to believe their own eyes. They ran to the house, hungry and ready to eat away, but when they reached the gingerbread walls they could see that they it was just wood. The icing was just a painted gutter; the windowpanes and doorframes merely striped.

“Why, it looks so… so… sweet-like,” Grace stuttered.

Bemused, they stared at the house, and as they did, the gumdrop-like doorknob began to turn; the door creaked open a crack and someone peered through. Then, the door opened wide to reveal a woman so large she looked as though she would burst out of her clothes any second. Her multiple chins and buxom bosoms were so obese it looked as though she had no neck.

“I thought I heard voices! Why I can’t believe my eyes, you’re just children! What are you doing here in the woods? No one ever comes out this far. Are you lost?” she asked in a choking voice.

“Yes. We went on a walk with our parents, but a bear came and ate them. We managed to run away, but now we’re lost and orphaned,” Harry lied.

“You poor dears!” the woman cried, raising her hands to her face in shock. “Please, come in, come in.” She ushered the children into her house, and they looked around in surprise. The sweet exterior of the house was horribly deceiving. The inside of the house was dilapidated, the wallpaper was peeling, the floorboards were creaking, and there was an odd smell or rot and damp. The corridors seemed so tiny the twins were surprised that this obese woman could fit through them. They followed her into what they could only assume was a living room, but it was hard to tell as the floor was covered with half-eaten food, empty wrappers and dirty plates. The large woman plonked herself into a chair, picked up a slice of cake from the armrest and shovelled it into her mouth.

“Sit down, children,” the woman spat. The twins looked at each other, then at the sofa, which was stained with old food and seemed to have some sort of fungus growing on the cushions.

“No thank you. We want food, and we’re tired,” Grace said, standing quite still and staring at the fat woman. The woman began to feel uneasy as the two stared unrelentingly, there was something about these children, an odd glint in their eyes and a strange ethereal vibe about them.

“Food. Yes, of course,” she forced herself out the chair (which took several minutes) and then led the children to the kitchen. The kitchen was enormous! The twins’ mouths gaped as they looked around. There were hundreds of cupboards, all busting at the hinges, packed with food, and a fridge and a freezer: all equally gigantic. What the children were most enamoured by was the furnace in the centre of the room. It was so large it took up half the room, it was oval shaped with a large chimney raising up towards the roof, and the twins remembered the smoke they had seen that enticed them to the house in the first place.

“Why is your oven so big?” Harry asked.

“I tend to cook large meals.”

“Your oven is so big I bet you could cook ten meals in there all at once,” he said.

“Your oven is so big I bet you could…
OK I have been working on this for ages and just cannot think of another thing they could suggest! Please advise me :D

“Your oven is so big I bet you could cook up a person,” Harry suggested and a strange smirk spread across his face.

“Yes… perhaps,” she replied with unease.

“Can we see inside it?” Grace shouted and wandered over to the looming door on the oven.

The fat, old woman watched with surprise as the children opened the door and peered inside.

“Wow! I’ve never seen anything so big! Harry and I could practically live in here. How big are the flames?”

The woman looked at the children, who turned to her with grins from ear-to-ear. She thought to herself, “Look how happy they are. These poor children just lost their parents, and here I was thinking malicious thoughts about them. If turning on the fire will make them happy, then I will start the fires!”

“Let me show you, children. I’ve never had guests before, so I never suspected that my oven could be so interesting.”

“Oh yes, we’re very interested in fire,” Harry smiled with glee, as the no-necked woman turned on the furnace.

“How exciting! Are you going to burn something in there?” Grace asked.

“Certainly. How about this?” and she picked up a rotting loaf of bread from the side and threw it in.

Grace shook her head, “No, that wasn’t big enough”.

“Okay, how about this old ham?” she asked, throwing in the ham with ease.

“Still too small,” Harry said, edging closer to the flames.

“I have just the thing!” the woman exclaimed, and waddled over to the fridge, opened it, and took out a goose the size of both the children, if they were to lie on top of one another on a plate.

“Perfect!” the twins chirped, jumping up and down with excitement.

The woman carried the goose over to the furnace and leaned forward to place it on a tray. She teetered by the door - carefully balancing the goose - sweat dripping from her forehead into the flames below.

The children stood behind her rear, took deep breaths and then charged. They shoved the heavy woman with all their might, toppling her over into the flames. She screamed, and tried to turn around to reach back out, but the twins were too fast. They locked the door behind her, and although the oven was large, she was larger, and could not twist around to try to open the door.

She screamed loudly to be heard over the hiss and crackles of the fire as the flames slowly cremated her, and the children watched with delight until there was nothing left but ashes.

“Now it’s our house,” Harry spoke nonchalantly as he took ownership of the gingerbread house. Grace smiled sweetly back at him, and she knew that they would live together in the sweet-like house, and live happily ever after.

----------------------------------------------------

In case you can't tell, I suck with endings, so any suggestions would be amazing! Thank you!
Last edited by Luvzi12 on Wed May 12, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on Twitter

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue May 11, 2010 6:43 pm
BrookeBrontosaurus says...

This was a really great story. I really liked it, I enjoy fairy-tales a lot :)

One of the things you could improve on is putting the story in past tense.
You started with once upon a time, which would mean the story is in the past.
Some people who know twins are aware that they don’t always get along, but Harry and Grace were not like other twins, they were not like them at all.

It should be

Some people who knew the twins were aware that they didn't always get along. But, Harry and Grace were not like other twins, not at all.

I changed it a little at the end of the sentence, because I thought it flowed better. The main part that needs to be changed is the first sentence

Overall, it was a cute fairy-tale and I loved it :).
For the days we fear the air we breathe.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Tue May 11, 2010 6:48 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

*blink*

Interesting re-imagining. You managed to make an already-dark story even darker. Spiffy.

I was a little confused as to what time period you were shooting for. At first, it seemed modern, what with the mentions of cars and parent-teacher conferences and whatnot, but by the end, I wasn't quite sure anymore. It just had lost the modern feel and had turned more into the "classic Grimm" feeling, despite mentions of modern appliances. I think it might be the dialogue. A lot of the dialogue felt rather archaic.

Granted, the twins can be as creepy and off as they like, but the fat lady at the end seemed rather unrealistic. She doesn't even offer to call the police or social services or anything, which would be the most logical reaction in a modern setting. And it seems rather odd that as much as she likes to eat, she would have rotting food laying around. It seems she would have eaten it. I didn't really understand the need for the mention of the fact that the food was decaying.

The ending was a bit amusing though, what with the classic "happily ever after" coming after the kids' horrible actions. A question though: did anyone ever investigate the deaths? Obviously, the kids had a reputation and I'm assuming people had seen them going out into the woods, so were the parents ever found? Was there ever an attempt at finding them? I know that fairy tales can work outside of realistic expectations sometimes, but since you're playing with a modern setting, I'm looking for at least a nod to modern conventions. Maybe there wasn't an investigation, but why would that be?

I liked it. It's just that the ending came too quick and with no explanation. The twins not liking to be separated seems perfect for the whole "Hansel being locked away in a cage" thing from the original. They could be plotting her murder the whole time. Or something. It just comes so quickly. Slow down and elaborate a little. Work explanations in. It's a retelling! You can do whatever you want with it.

Very creepy. Thumbs up!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue May 11, 2010 10:52 pm
NumberSeven says...

Hiiii!

Niiice, a fairy-tale twist. With a horror spin on it. I approves :D

Anywho, Cons first! :(
...family: mother, Susan; father, David; and two twin children, Harry and Grace.

Okay, I found this a little awkward. Not because it's in list format, but because you put in noth titles and names. It might flow a little better if you put something like, "...family: Susan, David and their two twin children, Harry and Grace."

The dialogue is too complete. In real conversations, people don't speak in complete sentences (listen to a recorded convo). I understand that it's a fairytale, but it's modern day-esque, so people would speak less formally.

The children stared blankly back at their mother and for a moment; her chest tightened as she feared their reaction to this news.

Improper use of semicolon. In fact, you don't even need the semicolon. The sentence works fine without it.

She teetered by the door; carefully balancing the goose, sweat dripping from her forehead into the flames below.

Improper use of semicolon again. You use dashes here because it's 'interrupting the sentence'. It would be, "She teetered by the door - carefully balancing the goose - with sweat dripping from her forehead into the flames below."

“Sounds delightful,” Harry concurred without smiling; then the twins simultaneously lifted their spoons and finished their cereal.

The two sentences don't fit together, so the semicolon doesn't make sense. Make it a comma or a period.

Pros! :)
Your style of writing suits the story and it is consistent.
Grammar is very good.
Description is neither overused or non-existent. And the adjectives used suit the fairy-tale atmosphere.

As for the ending, here are some suggestions:
Fast forward into the future to show older versions of the twins.
Write a little bit about their days in the candy house and do the happily ever after thing.
Allude to a 'sequel'. Like, two children came upon the house one day thinking it was candy (two different kids, obviously). And you know that the twins are evil, so it would be like DUN DUN DUNNNN.

Keep it up!
~ Come to the dark side. We have cookies! ~
~ Ha, we're the dark side. Why are you surprised we lied about the cookies? ~

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Wed May 12, 2010 9:22 am
Yuriiko says...

Hello there!

Here as requested. :wink:
An interesting and kind-of-a twist story of Grimm's story Hansel and Gretel! hehe. :mrgreen: I know you want this story to be a fairy-tale like and I tell you, it's really good.

Once upon a time, in a remote village surrounded by woods and mountains lived a family: mother, Susan; father, David; and two twin children, Harry and Grace.

This sounds awkward to read and it could be better if it was like this:
"Once upon a time, in a remote village surrounded by woods and mountains lived a spouse named Susan and David and their twins, Harry and Grace."

But the children weren’t asleep in bed. They were lying side-by-side, staring at the ceiling, listening to every word their parents had said. Grace turned to look into Harry’s grey eyes; Harry mirrored her in both actions and appearance, and they began to make a plan.
That line seemed to be incomplete but quite understandable:
But little did they know that their the children weren't asleep in bed.
And where are they if they weren't asleep in 'bed'? :?

That should be a period.

“Why, it looks so…. So…. Sweet-like,” Grace stuttered.
Ellipses and a period? I think you should erase that period.

“Yes. We went on a walk with our parents, but a bear came and ate them. We managed to run away, but now we’re lost and orphaned,” Harry lied.
Made me laugh. :lol:

Another thing: The twins really are scary. :shock: You know, the parents are totally unbelievable for me. :wink: As far as I know..
Spoiler! :
Parents accept their children for who they are... but as with the scary twins... well it's okay and very acceptable and reasonable. Don't worry about it. hehe. :smt047

I quite find it funny and creepy at the same time. :D

Overall, I really like it! Two thumbs up! :D
I like fairy-tales with a funny twist into it.

Keep up the good work!

Peace out! :smt004
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Wed May 12, 2010 6:37 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hi there. Here to review.

Susan screamed, she threw her hands to her face, peeking through her fingers, staring at her dead husband lying on the leaf-littered floor
You portrayed the scene in front of my eyes. Loved it!

Grace jumped on her mother, pushing her to the floor, and began to stab her repeatedly in the stomach and breast.

Soon Grace’s arms began to get tired, so Harry smashed the white stone on herhis mother's face and she was dead.
Anyone who reads this sentence wold think that Grace was dead but whilst heir mother was dead. Edit what I suggested, please!

“What do we do now, Harry?”
I would suggest adding some emotion or tone to Grace's voice. Like: Grace's tensed voice asked her brother or grace asked in confusion. This was just an advice, you're a better person to write what you want here according to your will.
“Let me show you, children.
This without a comma seems like she wants to show them children which isn't the case.

And so, the children lived in the sweet-looking house, and lived happily ever after.
You can use some help with this:
Thereby,, the children lived happily ever after in their new-found house.

I liked the description of the burning and expressions that followed. :D

Wow! This was an unique idea, I must say. Re-inventing. At first, I was like hey she's going Hansel-Gretel way but then I discovered the truth. It was an interesting read!

The nit=picks:
1. Why did you name it Gingerbread though there was little mention of it? I think renaming it should be done. Hansel-Gretel reinvented would also sound good. Kindly work on that.

2. There was a problem with commas here and there but I fixed it as far as my knowledge suggested. The meaning sometimes changes completely if we don't put commas at appropriate places as I mentioned before.

3. I found the starting a bit boring but as it eventually progressed, I felt myself completely lost in it. You should begin with 'Once upon a time' and end it with 'happily ever after', exactly as you did. Go your way! :)

4. Characters: I felt the twins were very nicely shown and so was their father but hte problem lied with mother's character. She seemed unreal and more of a stepmother to me. Either you change her to step-mother or let the idea be proposed by their father. A mother would never ever abandon her children if they're cruel or selfish.

5.Also, I would still suggest you not to disclose the names of the characters too early. its okay for you'rewriting for young readers.

Overall, a fantastic idea. It was the first time I read a reinvention story at YWS. The ending was a bit blur though but then overall it gave a good impact. You have a good vocabulary and you describe motion and actions very well. Hats off to you for that!

I don't shut up, do I? :xd:

PM me or drop in a request next time you want a review, please! Thanks for the read!

Signing off for now and leaving you with good luck! :superman:
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

71 Reviews

Wed May 12, 2010 6:55 pm
Luvzi12 says...

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've edited a few things and reposted, but there are still some edits I am working on.

@shubhilovestowrite You know, it's funny, the reason I got the mother to suggest leaving the children in the forest is because in the original story it is their mother (not their step-mother or father) that suggests it. I suppose in modern times that's just difficult to grasp? I don't know, but I think I will change it because I've had that pointed out before :) Also, this is just one of seven fairytale adaptations I am writing, so I will definitely send you one of the others when they're done. Oh, and Gingerbread was originally just a working title, so I may consider changing it, I'll have a think, thanks!

@GryphonFledgling I'm working on modernising the ending, thanks for pointing it out! I couldn't tell what it was about it that made it less modern, but yes I think it's predominately the dialogue and the character of the fat woman, I'll work on it :)

About the food, because this is a series it's important but only in relation to the series as an entirety, I think I'll change it a bit so the work can stand alone as I guess it doesn't make much sense to someone who doesn't know the series :P

Did anyone ever investigate the deaths?
Probably, but I doubt I will write about that too much. If the parents were found, I'd like to think that the children weren't and they lived in the "Gingerbread" house forever.
Follow me on Twitter

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu May 13, 2010 4:33 pm
Sins says...

Heya :)
Here as requested. Sorry this has taken me a while, I've had a painful amount of work to do lately! :|

Gingerbread

Once upon a time, in a remote village surrounded by woods and mountains lived a family: Susan, David and their twin children, Harry and Grace. If you know any twins, you’ll be aware that they don’t always get along, but Harry and Grace were not like other twins, not at all.

Harry and Grace spent all their time together and despised being apart. If a teacher ever dared to separate them or scold them for passing notes, something bad was sure to happen to them. Their first teacher, Mr Golden, made the mistake of trying to separate the twins in class; that day Mr. Golden’s car brakes failed, he crashed into a tree and died. The twins’ next teacher was Miss Fine. Her motto was ‘if the child errs, the child should be punished’. After giving the children detention for talking in class, Miss Fine mysteriously fell down a flight of stairs.
Wow, they sound like nice kids! :lol:

Occurrences such as these soon became commonplace around the twins and the adults in the village began to leave them to their own devices. The other children avoided playing games with them, disliking the twins’ eerie vacant stares and whispered conversations between one another. It was not just the villagers who were wary of the twins, but the their own parents. At home the atmosphere was tense as Harry and Grace’s parents tried hard to please the children, fearing that if they angered them, something bad would happen to them. The repetition of the word 'them' disturbs the flow of this story a bit. Maybe you could just get rid of it? It would still make sense.

One night, as the twins’ parents lay in bed, they aired their worries about the twins and began to concoct a plan, “We have to get rid of them,” The children's/kids mum/mom/mother,Susan, muttered. Sorry for all of the slashes there... :lol: I'll explain them later on.

“What?” cried David. Despite his fear of the children, he still loved them and always had hope that one day they would be loving, normal children.

“You know it’s our only option. Our children are evil!”

“Evil? Susan, how can you say this? They’re our children! Surely it’s just a phase they’re going through? They’re growing up, we can’t turn our backs on them.”

“Remember the fire, David? The fire brigade couldn’t confirm it was arson, but you must admit it was suspicious. One minute Mrs Macready is telling them to stop throwing stones at her house, the next minute her house was burnt to the ground. The best thing for us, for the village and for the children is to let them go.”

“So what do you suggest we do? Put them up for adoption? Get them fostered?”

“No. None of that. Adoption agencies won’t separate two children from their natural parents unless they absolutely have to. Besides, our children have a reputation in this village, no one will take them. We’ll have to rid ourselves of them another way.”

“How? You’re not suggesting murder?” David asked incredulously, with wide eyes and a slack jaw.

“No, not murder! But you know as well as I do that the children are… special. They’re self-sufficient in their own way. I suggest we leave them in the woods. We’ll give them some food to last them for a while, but leave them deep enough in the woods [color=#FF0000]o[/color] that they can never come back.”

“But what if they can’t take care of themselves? This is practically murder! It’s abandonment! We can’t do this to our own children!” David argued in hushed tones.

“It’s the only option we have. They can’t stay here anymore. We’ll set off tomorrow morning and walk as deep into the woods as we can, then we’ll leave them there. I promise you, everything will work out for the best. We’ll tell the villagers that the children ran away, everyone will be so happy to see them gone that they won’t question it,” whispered Susan.

“I guess we have no choice,” David resigned and rolled over to sleep, thinking of his children tucked up in bed, unsuspecting of their fate the next day.

Little did they know, the children were not sleeping. They lay in their beds, side-by-side, staring at the ceiling, listening to every word their parents had said. Grace turned to look into Harry’s grey eyes; Harry mirrored her in both actions and appearance, and they began to make a plan.

The twins woke at dawn the next day, dressed and went down to the breakfast table as their mother began to dish up food for them.

“Eat up children. Your father and I have decided we should all go out as a family. We’ve packed some bags and we’re going to go for a walk in the woods, won’t that be exciting?”

The children stared blankly back at their mother and for a moment, her chest tightened as she feared their reaction to this news.

“Sounds delightful,” Harry concurred without smiling; the twins simultaneously lifted their spoons and finished their cereal.

Half an hour later, the family set off into the woods, and surprisingly, the twins were smiling and talkative.

“Mother, look! A butterfly!” Grace would shout, her face aglow with happiness.

“It smells so wonderful out here in the woods,” Harry said happily, whilst sniffing flowers.

David couldn’t believe the change in the children and whispered to Susan, “Perhaps we shouldn’t leave them out here, after all?”

“We’ll walk until night time and then decide,” she replied, untrusting of the children’s new attitudes.

And walk they did. As the sun began to dip below the mountains, Harry and Grace continued smiling, and their parents began to reconsider their plan. Unfortunately for them, the twins had not questioned theirs. Now they were deep in the woods, the twins’ parents walked a little way ahead of them. Harry picked up a large, white lump of stone and Grace grabbed a sharp shard of rock that had fallen from the mountains. Harry walked slowly behind his father, gripping the rock in his hand.

“Dad?”

“Yes, son?” David asked and turned around to face him, but was confronted with Harry’s stone. Harry began to beat him over the head with it, smashing his father’s skull and crumbling him to the ground. What a nice kid. :smt001 Susan screamed, she threw her hands to her face, peeking through her fingers to see her dead husband lying on the leaf-littered floor.

Grace turned to her screaming mother and said, “His death was quick, but yours will not be. You shouldn’t have tried to leave us. You took us into this world, now we will take you out.” Grace jumped on her mother, pushing her to the floor, and began to stab her repeatedly in the stomach and breast. haha... sorry. I'm immature. Susan screamed again, but there was no one around to hear. When Grace’s arms began to get tired, Harry smashed the white stone on his mother’s face and she was dead. Wow. I hope my kids turn out like this...

“What do we do now, Harry?” Grace asked casually, looking down at the crushed skulls of her parents.

“We find somewhere to live,” he replied, dropping the bloodstained rock to the floor. “We can live without them. We never needed them anyway, come on.” Harry took her hand and they walked away, leaving the two corpses behind them.

After a short walk, the children found a stream and washed the blood off their hands, faces and clothes.

“Hey, what’s that?” Harry pointed to a pillar of smoke rising from the trees.

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s a campfire? Let’s go see.”

The children followed the smoke, but to their surprise they didn’t find a campfire, but a small cottage. From far away, the house looked like it was made out of sweets. The gutters resembled pink icing, the doorframes and windowpanes looked like candy canes and the walls like gingerbread. I like the description here! :) The children looked at one another, unsure whether to believe their own eyes. They ran to the house, hungry and ready to eat away. Although, when they reached the gingerbread walls, they could see that they it was just wood. The icing was just a painted gutter; the windowpanes and doorframes merely striped.

“Why, it looks so… so… sweet-like,” Grace stuttered.

Bemused, they stared at the house, and as they did, the gumdrop-like doorknob began to turn; the door creaked open a crack and someone peered through. Then, the door opened wide to reveal a woman so large she looked as though she would burst out of her clothes any second. Her multiple chins and buxom bosoms were so obese it looked as though she had no neck. Haha... :lol:

“I thought I heard voices! Why I can’t believe my eyes, you’re just children! What are you doing here in the woods? No one ever comes out this far. Are you lost?” she asked in a choking voice.

“You poor dears!” the woman cried, raising her hands to her face in shock. “Please, come in, come in.” She ushered the children into her house, and they looked around in surprise. The sweet exterior of the house was horribly deceiving. The inside of the house was dilapidated, the wallpaper was peeling, the floorboards were creaking, and there was an odd smell or rot and damp. The corridors seemed so tiny the twins were surprised that this obese woman could fit through them. I really liked this description too! They followed her into what they could only assume was a living room, but it was hard to tell as the floor was covered with half-eaten food, empty wrappers and dirty plates. The large woman plonked herself into a chair, picked up a slice of cake from the armrest and shovelled it into her mouth.

“Sit down, children,” the woman spat. The twins looked at each other, then at the sofa, which was stained with old food and seemed to have some sort of fungus growing on the cushions.

“No thank you. We want food, and we’re tired,” Grace said, standing quite still and staring at the fat woman. The woman began to feel uneasy as the two stared unrelentingly, there was something about these children, an odd glint in their eyes and a strange ethereal vibe about them.

“Food. Yes, of course,” she forced herself out the chair (which took several minutes) and then led the children to the kitchen. The kitchen was enormous! The twins’ mouths gaped as they looked around. There were hundreds of cupboards, all busting at the hinges, packed with food, and a fridge and a freezer: all equally gigantic. What the children were most enamoured by was the furnace in the centre of the room. It was so large it took up half the room, it was oval shaped with a large chimney raising up towards the roof, and the twins remembered the smoke they had seen that enticed them to the house in the first place. I like the description in this sentence, I just thought that the sentence itself was a bit long! Try turning it into more than one sentence, maybe?

“Why is your oven so big?” Harry asked.

“I tend to cook large meals.”

“Your oven is so big, I bet you could cook ten meals in there all at once,” he said.

“Your oven is so big, I bet you could… cook an elephant in there? live in there? sleep in there? have a barbecue in there? I don't know... :lol:

OK I have been working on this for ages and just cannot think of another thing they could suggest! Please advise me :)

“Your oven is so big, I bet you could cook up a person,” Harry suggested and a strange smirk spread across his face.

“Yes… perhaps,” she replied with unease.

“Can we see inside it?” Grace shouted and wandered over to the looming door on the oven.

The fat, old woman watched with surprise as the children opened the door and peered inside.

“Wow! I’ve never seen anything so big! Harry and I could practically live in here. How big are the flames?”

The woman looked at the children, who turned to her with grins from ear-to-ear. She thought to herself, “Look how happy they are. These poor children just lost their parents, and here I was thinking malicious thoughts about them. If turning on the fire will make them happy, then I will start the fires!” I just know what's going to happen... :lol:

“Let me show you, children. I’ve never had guests before, so I never suspected that my oven could be so interesting.”

“Oh yes, we’re very interested in fire,” Harry smiled with glee, as the no-necked woman turned on the furnace.

“How exciting! Are you going to burn something in there?” Grace asked.

“Certainly. How about this?” and she picked up a rotting loaf of bread from the side and threw it in.

Grace shook her head, “No, that wasn’t big enough”.

“Okay, how about this old ham?” she asked, throwing in the ham with ease.

“Still too small,” Harry said, edging closer to the flames.

“I have just the thing!” the woman exclaimed, and waddled over to the fridge, opened it, and took out a goose the size of both the children, if they were to lie on top of one another on a plate.

“Perfect!” the twins chirped, jumping up and down with excitement.

The woman carried the goose over to the furnace and leaned forward to place it on a tray. She teetered by the door - carefully balancing the goose - sweat dripping from her forehead into the flames below.

The children stood behind her rear, took deep breaths and then charged. They shoved the heavy woman with all their might, toppling her over into the flames. She screamed, and tried to turn around to reach back out, but the twins were too fast. They locked the door behind her, and although the oven was large, she was larger, and could not twist around to try to open the door.

She screamed loudly to be heard over the hiss and crackles of the fire as the flames slowly cremated her, and the children watched with delight until there was nothing left but ashes. Such nice kids... :)

“Now it’s our house,” Harry spoke nonchalantly as he took ownership of the gingerbread house. Grace smiled sweetly back at him, and she knew that they would live together in the sweet-like house, and live happily ever after.

Overall

I thought that this was really good, I seriously did! I loved how you took a fairy-tale and gave it an evil feeling. You had some very good characters here, especially Harry and Grace. I also liked the fat woman's character, if only she hadn't been cooked alive. :lol: You had some very good descriptions in this, I highlighted the ones that I especially liked. Your grammar was also pretty good, and so was your spelling. In fact, I didn't find one misspelled word! :)

My main nit-pick is the fact that this still seems kind of old fashioned and not as modern day as it could be. I assumed that you were going for a modern day fairy-tale, that is. I'm not entirely sure what makes the story feel 'modern'. To be honest, I actually think that it's the little details that make this story more old fashioned. For example, Harry and Grace call their mum 'mother'. Mother is more of an old fashioned, posh word. Well, it is to me anyway! Try changing that to mum, or mom, wherever you're from. :lol: The same goes for the father. you did say dad a few times with him, I think, just say it more often. It's also the style of the writing that makes it kind of old fashioned, especially the dialogue. For example ~

We’ll tell the villagers that the children ran away, everyone will be so happy to see them gone that they won’t question it,” whispered Susan.

I think you should change 'children' to 'kids'. I know that it may seem minor and pointless, but you'll be surprised at how the style of a story can change, just by changing the odd word here and there.

That's a quite hard to sort out though, because the style gives a more fairy-tale feel to it, which I love about it! If you can, try and make the style of the writing less old fashioned, but still make it feel like a fairy-tale. Trust me, it's harder said than done!

My other nit-pick is the fact that, at times, your dialogue can become a bit clumpy. For example, the beginning where the parents were discussing leaving the children in the woods. I understand that it was a conversation and everything, I'm just suggesting that maybe you include a few descriptions in between the dialogue. I don't want you to write an essay in between every line of dialogue, or anything. I just think that you should maybe add the odd description and the odd action now and then. The main problem about dialogue lumps is the fact that they can sometimes make a story boring. Thankfully, it isn't as annoying in your story, because your descriptions, actions and the story itself makes up for them. You should still consider sorting them out though. :wink:

My only other nit-pick is the grammar. Your grammar isn't terrible, not by far! The only small problem that I noticed was the fact that you missed out a comma here and there. Commas are seriously confusing though, I personally hate them with a passion. :lol: I've suggested where to put the commas in the places where I think that they are needed. All that you need to do is read over your work, then add the commas where you think they are needed. The only other grammar nit-pick is the fact that your sentences can be a bit on the long side, sometimes. That's a really easy problem to sort out though. You just need to replace some of your commas with periods or semi colons. That way, the story gets a nicer flow and it's less annoying to read.

Critique's aside, I really did love this. Your descriptions were extremely nice and creative. I also really liked your variation of verbs and adjectives. People don't seem to notice little things like verbs nowadays, but they can make some serious differences in a story. They make a piece a lot more colourful, as well as adjectives. I also enjoyed the beginning of this story. I liked how you told us some stories about the twins and their rather evil antics. Like I said before, I love the twins, by the way! I love how you made them evil, the complete opposite to the original version. :D

Keep writing! If you want another review, just ask me in my WRFF thread!

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu May 13, 2010 7:07 pm
Emerson says...

Hey there! so I really liked that you tried to reinvent a brother's Grimm tale. I wish I could say more good things about this, but I guess it's just not really my kind of story. Plus, I was really focused on finding places to nit pick for you, since you asked for it. ;-) First I'll look at what you wanted to me to talk about, then I'll point out some other stuff I noticed.

CHARACTERS

Well, I'm going to be rough, so I hope you're okay with this! I feel like your characters had zero development throughout the whole story. They felt very fake, very unreal, very flat. A lot this comes from the fact that you do a lot more telling than showing, both throughout the story and for your characters. (I'll talk more about this later.) Here are some examples from your story:

Despite his fear of the children, he still loved them and always had hope that one day they would be loving, normal children.

The woman began to feel uneasy as the two stared unrelentingly, there was something about these children, an odd glint in their eyes and a strange ethereal vibe about them.

In both of these quotes you are talking about how the character feels about something. In the first one you're establishing things - that the father loves his children despite his fear. In the second one you're talking about how the woman feels, with regards to the "weird"ness of the children.

The problem with the first question is that you are telling it all. Now, you're saying "despite his fear" but you've never shown us that the father is afraid of his children. You're only telling us. It's a lot harder for a reader to put faith in something when they're only being told. If you had a scene where the father was in the kitchen, his children came up behind him, and he was terrified about it, jumped up, screamed, his heart was racing, but he had to calm himself down. He was shaking. He didn't want his kids to know, though, so he hugged them and took them to their room and read them a bed time story, telling him that he loves them no matter what. If you wrote that scene (not just TOLD about it) you would be showing the reader that he is both a afraid of his children, but that he still loves them.

In the second, I have two issues. The first is you tell that she is uneasy. You don't show it at all. Is she clutching tightly to the couch? Breathing heavy? Looking from side to side? What physical actions are present that would indicate she is uneasy, without you having to tell your reader that? Second, due to the large amount of telling in the beginning of the piece, you again leave the assumption that the children have this eerie, creepy, weirdo feeling about them - but you've never shown, or proved, that they're creepy. What about them is? Obviously this old woman doesn't know about their past. Do their eyes glow strange colors? Are their faces too inhuman? Do they seem more mature than normal children would be?

Basically, when describing your characters, you have to prove it. You can't just tell us, you have to show us. If you don't show, we won't believe you.

Other than this, your characters also fall flat simply because they don't do much. What are their desires? Obviously their parents desire is to get rid of the kids. What kind of people are these? What makes them unique? A lot of this is wrapped up in the dialogue, as well. The dialogue sounds like it could have come out of any old persons mouth. The only reason we know who it is is because of dialogue tags or context. Try to give your characters life. Unique dialogue, unique features will do this. Even though this is a short story, it's still important.

If you haven't seen it, I'd suggestion you join Snoink's Character Development usergroup. That will help you a ton with all these issues.

THE ENDING

The ending seemed very predictable to me. There wasn't much surprise about it at all. Once you started talking about how something big could be in the oven, real big, and since you've gone on and on about telling how evil the twins are - I pretty much jumped to the conclusion. It wasn't real hard to figure out. The predictability of this story really killed it. It was unique, sure, but not a surprise at all. I'm not entirely sure how you could get rid of the predictability though. I think, in general, you need to flesh out the whole story better. Someone said the ending happened too fast - this is true as well. It feels like they killed her in a matter of ten minutes from having come into the house. Make it realistic. Let time pass. Don't bore us, but be realistic. Try to foreshadow less. I've read the original, dark and creep Grimm, and in most cases they aren't too terribly predictable, and even when they are, they're still shocking. I feel like you could have written better details regarding the murders and so forth, to at least make it more shocking and stunning. This could be heavily creepy, but it seems like you brush over that and hope the reader will think it's creeper on the mere fact that you had twins killing a woman. Sure! That's creepy too, but you need to encourage us to really, really be freaked out. It's like, have you seen the Orphan? That movie terrified me. But if they hadn't gone out of their way to make the little girl creepy as all heck, it wouldn't have been so scary.

I can't really think of anything in regards to your quoted question within the story. Sorry! I also think there are a lot of other things you could tackle first before that. Now, onto some other things I spotted.

TELLING ALL, SHOWING NOTHING

Like I said above, I'm going to talk about telling. Your first three paragraphs or so are straight telling. And like I said under characters, telling does not help us believe in the characters, or the events, at all. I feel like you might have to step outside the "telling" feel of most Grimm stories to make this really unique. Maybe start with a scene where the father is on the phone, talking to the chief of police. The chief is telling him that their twins are outside so-and-sos house, and it's burning down. The parents talk to their kids, and they get the creepy feeling that this was their fault. They were fighting with the woman, and now the house is burned down. The parents start arguing about it - the father doesn't want to believe it but the mother presses on. (Give her a reason to want to get rid of her children, not just, they're scary! They're evil! Maternal love is INTENSE, even beyond murder. Maybe she's afraid they'll kill her? and back it!) The mother wants to get rid of the children for fear of their own life. Don't just say it - show it. Have the children attacked the mother before?

You really, really want to hook the reader in. The above is just my own quick thought up example, but to pull the reader in you want a real scene, real showing, not telling like you've done. Telling is so boring because nothing happens. You're just throwing facts at us. If you cut the telling at the beginning, and throughout the rest of the story, you'd be much better for it.

If you could focus more on bringing this to a life-like quality, it'd be fabulous. I think you're going to do a major rewrite - but that's okay, right? Practice makes perfect. ;-) The Brothers Grimm style isn't going to suit you if you want to powerfully punch someone in the stomach with the horror of these twins. Try to make it your own.

I hope this helped! Best of luck.

PS: I also agree that the title doesn't fit very well in with the story itself. :) Just thought I'd add that.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Fri May 14, 2010 1:36 am
JaneThermopolis says...

Good story! Btw, I clicked the like button and I advise all of the people reading this review to click the like button too.
Anyways, I don't know if you meant it, but I have a feeling you borrowed many things from Hansel and Gretal and put it in this story.
For example:
The big oven
The house that looked like candy
The walk through the woods

However, I did like the fantasy aspect of the story, and it was also equally disturbing (in a good way) since you got to describe three people die.
Hope to read more of your work!
-Jane
Apple of my soul,
Eats me whole,
Take one bite,
No delight,
Rotting hole.

71 Reviews

Fri May 14, 2010 2:01 am
Luvzi12 says...

@Skins Thanks so much for the feedback! I added in all your edits to my original copy and I'm working on a few other things before I repost :)

@Suzanne Thanks for your feedback too! You gave me a lot of things to consider. It'll take me longer to work in your edits though haha!

@Jane Thank you so much for your sweet words. Yes, this is an intentional adaptation of the story, Hansel and Gretel! Glad you noticed :D It comes from a series of seven fairytale adaptaions and I am slowly trying to finish more of them so I can get some feedback.

Thanks again to everyone! I love reading the comments - good and bad!

~ Emma
Follow me on Twitter

71 Reviews

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:15 pm
Luvzi12 says...

Thanks for everyone's comments! I have now had a re-edited version of this PUBLISHED!! :D
Follow me on Twitter

A memorandum isn't written to inform the receiver, but to protect the writer.
— Dean Acheson