z

Young Writers Society

Symbiote

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Thu May 06, 2010 6:13 am
kidashka says...

Symbiosis [noun] :
A close, prolonged association between two or more different organisms of different species that may, but does not necessarily, benefit each member.

It is the year 4075. 300 years ago, Earth was met by a small colony of a dying race - the Shay'la.

The Shay'la are a symbiotic race that cannot live without a host - in this case, a human.
In exchange for the planet's help in providing hosts, the Shay'la offered unimaginable technological advances, and all of their species' vast knowledge.

Naturally, the deal was made.

Now, at the age of 18, it is compulsory to have one of the Shay'la 'share' your body - essentially through an injection- and the rest of your life is lived with the other entity. [If anyone has seen Stargate SG-1, this is like the Goa'uld.] They inhabit your brain, sort of like a consciousness thing, and can occasionally take over the body for a limited time. However they also provide enhanced strength and senses to a normal person, and most humans get on well with their symbiote.

300 years since the treaty, this is viewed by most people as a normal practise.

However, there is also a rebel faction growing.

YOU CHOOSE - FOR, OR AGAINST? (Try to keep things even)

Empire:
You benefit from the cohabitation and are essentially a normal citizen. The Shay'la give these people enhanced skills and intelligence. These humans seek to maintain a stable planet ie. stop the rebels gaining in strength. [These characters will have a symbiote!]
Rebel: You are against the cohabitation, believing it to be against human rights. However they must hide, living in secret so it is not discovered they do not have a symbiote. Seek to overthrow the Empire. [These characters will not have a symbiote.]
[NB: Neither side is good or bad as such :D ]

Human Profiles
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] Over 18 please.
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Class:[/b]
[b]Rebel/Empire[/b]
[b]Appearance: [/b]
[b]Skills:[/b] NB: NOT POWERS.
[b]Personality:[/b] Flaws and strengths
[b]Strengths/weaknesses: [/b]
[b]History[/b]
[b]Other[/b]

Shay'la Profile
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Relationship with host:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

All usual rules apply. I may ask you to edit your profiles they are not sufficiently detailed or realistic :D
You can write in first or third person, past or present tense. It makes no difference to me. :D

We will start with once we have 6 characters, but the SB will remain open to further applicants. :elephant:

There is now a DT.
Last edited by kidashka on Sat May 08, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu May 06, 2010 8:03 am
ScarlettFire says...

I'm in.

Could I have a symbiote and turn rebel? If not, I'll just be a rebel.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

33 Reviews

Thu May 06, 2010 6:48 pm
kidashka says...

Mmmm... Okeydoke. But only cause you asked first, and as long as you find a plausible way to remove the symbiote :D

[Edit: Their skills/strengths would be significantly reduced after they turn rebel - it could be interesting to write about that but just so I know you're aware :) ]
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."

212 Reviews

Supporter

Thu May 06, 2010 6:59 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Remove it? Oh alright. But do I have to remove it? I was think it'd be unhappy with how the whole thing has gone done... And maybe there should be a DT for this. lol.

Anyway, I'll edit the profile in here later.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Thu May 06, 2010 8:13 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Do you think I could have a character who is a host who didn't find out about the rebels until after she became and have her join the rebels, hidding the fact that she has a Shay'la in her?
Live, Love, Laugh

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Thu May 06, 2010 8:58 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

Name: Sam Wicken
Class: Normal.
Rebel/Empire Rebel
Appearance:
AnimeGuy1.jpg
AnimeGuy1.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 262 times

Skills: NB: He's good with most technology and can normally figure out how to work things pretty quickly.
Personality: Rather shy and quiet. He stutters when he's nervous, and if he's under a lot of pressure he'll faint. He's really sweet, and he tries his hardest, but most of the time it's not quite enough.
Strengths/weaknesses: He's a rather fast runner and good with technology. He faints sometimes, and isn't very good under pressure, or in social positions.
History He was relatively normal until he hit the age of 18. He hated the idea of being a host and ran the day before they were going to do it to him. He joined the rebel group a few days later.
Other Up for love.
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

33 Reviews

Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 pm
kidashka says...

@ScarlettFire - I suppose you could keep it, if you have a Plan :)

@fictionfanatic - Many of the rebels would be people who were originally hosts yet ran away - I would imagine there is some kind of system for removing Shay'la from hosts...

I only really wanted one rebel+shay'la situation, and ScarlettFire asked first, so would it be okay if you had the idea you suggested as part of their history, not current?

@gsppcrocks - your profile is v. good :D

Some more empire characters would be great! :D

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri May 07, 2010 3:16 am
Octave says...

I'll take an empire spot. Wait for my profile. :D
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

212 Reviews

Supporter

Fri May 07, 2010 8:14 am
ScarlettFire says...

Oh, I have a plan. And as for removing the Shay'La. Perhaps asking them to voluntarily remove themselves or something could work.

Profile:

Human
Name: Ashton Mills.

Class: Symbiote host.

Rebel/Empire: Empire turned Rebel.

Appearance: Tall, athletic with pale green-brown eyes and black hair. Recently dyed her hair purple and blue.
Spoiler! :

Skills: Ash is useless with technology but give her some ancient weapons, like a sword or a bow and arrow, and she'll know how to use the weapon within a week. Ash can draw really well, but only on the rare occasions that she's left alone.

Personality: Ash is usually kind and caring but ever since her Shay'La Symbiote was put in, she's turned just a little harsh, uncaring and pretty much netural towards things, especially if her Symbiote takes over. She has a short temper but somehow her Symbiote blocks it unless she's really mad. She often says or does the wrong things and gets in trouble for it but makes up for any flaws with her infectious, optimistic attitude. Ash is also very stubborn and had to be persuaded to let Tau in.

Strengths/weaknesses: Strengths; Sometimes Ash is amazingly brave, especially when her Symbiote knows what to do when she doesn't. Isn't afraid to speak her mind, even if it gets her in trouble. Weaknesses; Ash can't fight at all, unless her Symbiote is in charge. She also can't stand to watch people letting in a Symbiote-she thinks it's wrong and strangely her Symbiote agrees.

History: Ash had a pretty normal life until she turned 18 and had to go 'recieve' a Symbiote. She disliked the idea at first and had to be persuaded to let Tau in. She's put up with him for two years but now both Ash and Tau have realised how wrong it seems and want out, not that Tau will give up his host too easily. Ash is about to go off in search of the Rebels.

Other: Up for love.

Shay'la
Name: Tau Shoshan.
Personality: Kind and friendly, but distant. Likes to be alone and helps Ash maintain her anger, which can get quite out of hand sometimes. Is starting to dislike the idea of compulsulary Symbiosis and believes that it should be done willingly.
Relationship with host: Strong, friendly. Tau likes Ash, strangely enough.
Other: People often call him 'The Lion' and Ash is still not sure why.

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Fri May 07, 2010 10:41 am
ToritheMonster says...

Name: Charlie Green
Class:High
Rebel/EmpireEmpire
Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Skills:martial arts, is a quick thinker and very smart. Can use anything as a weapon.
Personality: She hates rebels, and is set on the goal of ridding the world of them. Her rich family is in charge of the place where symbiotes are injected, and lose money when people don't come. Charlie has been commissioned to bring in the rebels, and very few can escape her for long. However, she's not the sanest person you'll ever meet and she often gets taken over by her symbiote, more often than most people. She can lose her grip on reality, sometimes.
Strengths/weaknesses: she is a very strong and skilled fighter, and very smart.However, she is often taken over by her symbiote, who causes her to do things she doesn't want to. She's also not al that sane, so she tends to lose her grip on reality often.
History Born and raised in a wealthy family, Charlie was eager to get a symbiote from the day she learned what they were. Her parents own the organization where people are injected with their symbiotes, and Charlie always loved to watch. She was taught to hate rebels until they were her life's goal: get rid of them. She was more than happy when she was commissioned to start bringing them in on her 16th birthday, and has caught many.
OtherIf she can't bring you back to the injection place, she'll give you one anyway with her injector gun:
Spoiler! :
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri May 07, 2010 2:07 pm
Octave says...

Finished! Is this good enough?

Name: Elisabetta Fabian
Class: Military/Host/I have no idea what you mean by this
Rebel/Empire: Empire
Appearance: Reddish brown hair usually tied up in a high ponytail. Her eyes are hazel and she's hardly ever smiling. Has a smoky, alluring look about her and doesn't look satisfied most of the time.

Spoiler! :

Skills: Leadership, hand to hand combat and is trained with guns. Has survival skills as well.

Personality: Elisabetta is a perfectionist and will not allow anything but the best. She can't settle for anything less and will work herself (and her teammates) to the bone just to achieve it. She is very determined and nothing will stop her. However, Elisabetta usually can't see past the direct consequence of an action and might rush into things she knows nothing about. However, despite pushing her team to their limits, she also cares for them and is fiercely loyal, refusing to give them up no matter what. She will look out for each and every member of her team as if they were part of her family.

Strengths/weaknesses: As previously mentioned, she's amazing at hand-to-hand combat, weapons and can use knives. Can live in even the grittiest places. However, her right leg was injured before and she never completely recovered. Although it's not clear when she's walking, a slight limp hinders her when she runs. It's her weak spot. Elisabetta is also terrified of thunderstorms.

History: Elisabetta's father was a rebel, and she despised him for leaving her alone with her mother. Since her younger days she's been insistent on getting into the army despite her mother's protests. When her mother married a politician, she saw her chance and jumped at it. As early as 12 she was admitted to a military academy and was trained extensively. By 17 she began to go on raids. She rose through the ranks quickly, and a few rumors say she did it on her back, but she didn't. It was through the help of her stepfather's position and through her own hard work. She was recently promoted to general.

As the general closest to the field marshal, people are watching her every move. Elisabetta knows that if she doesn't make any stupid moves she'll probably be a field marshal herself in a few years, therefore she's very hard on herself.

Other: Up for love/friendship/rivalry. She's very close with her stepfather, Donovan, and took on his last name even though she didn't have to. Has an okay relationship with her mother, but her mother frets for her a lot.

Shay'la Profile:

Name: Ares

Personality: Like Elisabetta, Ares will accept only the best and nothing less. He's a brilliant tactician and will often give Elisabetta ideas when she's out of them. He's very alert and can piece things together quickly. Is very possessive of his host and is jealous of her friends, although he has learned to tolerate her stepfather. He can and will take over Elisabetta when he thinks someone is getting too close to her.

Relationship with host: Elisabetta and Ares are very close friends and share a deep bond. They complement each other and would trust each other's decisions. Ares often comforts his host by telling her stories when there's a thunderstorm.

Other: Ares often makes snide comments that would make Elisabetta's lips quirk a little, so sometimes Elisabetta seems to agree even though she doesn't.
Last edited by Octave on Sat May 08, 2010 1:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri May 07, 2010 2:32 pm
Lumi says...

Name: Mitchell Pryce
Class: Host
Rebel/Empire Empire
Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Skills: Throughout his high school career, Mitchell excelled in mathematics and any science thinkable. After graduation, he was offered a job (with his newly acquired symbiote) as an intern at the largest fusion lab in the country. He loves his job and has become somewhat of a local legend for his skill at fusing symbiote to human. Word has it that he could pair two up like soul mates just by the color of the human's eyes.

Weaknesses: While Mitchell loves his job and is highly skilled at it, he has only once been goaded against his beliefs. And that was in a high school biology course, offered by a member of the rebellion in disguise. Mitchell merely shook it from his shoulders and moved on in life, though. But the lack of grounding he has in his beliefs has his colleagues and superiors wary about his position in the Empire.

Personality: His personality is perhaps surmised best in a story the nurses tell their new patients before injection: "Dr. Pryce is such a joy to be around... You won't even pay attention the ten inch needle in your spine; I swear."

History: Once the symbiotic fusion labs opened, most civilization consolidated into massive cities based around the labs and universities based around remedial symbiotic instruction. Mitchell was born into one of these supercities (which will be unnamed for the sake of continuity) and flew through their academic programs with aplomb. The only hitch in his grand machine of a past is that his mother's death is recorded in the hospital files three months before his birth. Political speculation remains.

Other: He is up up up for love. While he may be a science and math major and as smart as they come, he's charming and could make Harvey Dent do a total 180. (not that it proves to be hard to do...)

Name: Delta Grey

Personality: Calmer than most Symbiotes, Delta Grey was chosen for Mitchell on the premise that he would enter a wildly successful life. He was forewarned, however, that Mitchell was unversed in arguing his approval of the Empire and may crumble if not for his possibly strict hold on him. Delta agreed, and now awaits the day that he must grow dark in Mitchell's mind.

Relationship with host: There's a great deal of respect between Mitchell and Delta. While Mitchell accredits his wild success to a great symbiont, Delta refrains from accepting glory. (at least from humans) Delta is quiet and level-headed and guides Mitchell well in Fusion Surgery.

Other: N/A
Last edited by Lumi on Wed May 12, 2010 2:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

33 Reviews

Fri May 07, 2010 3:12 pm
kidashka says...

Those profiles look pretty good! Just don't forget Empire characters will also need a Shay'la profile :D

@ScarlettFire: That seems like a pretty good idea - I hadn't considered the possibility that some rebels would want reform rather than revolution. :D (Hurrah for factions!)

We'll probably start over the weekend, after I post my profile and everyone has edited/finished theirs.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat May 08, 2010 12:02 am
Chupatoasta says...

Name: Rachel Livingstone
Class: Host
Rebel/Empire Empire
Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Skills: She doesn't really have amazing, killer skills. She's great with weapons, and an amazing sharp-shooter, as her father's a Leutinant in the military, however her passion is creating robots. She's made many that have already been 'employed' into the military, and scientific research.
Personality: Rachel usually has a very frazzled appearance. She spends a forth of her time training with her dad, and the rest building new robots with the Empire's top engineers. She can find a way to bring a smile to anyones fact though, if they're willing. She loves to laugh, and loves to love, as she's a very romantic soul, like her Shay'la, and will help anyone in need. Despite her smarts, she loves acting dumb to fool the scientists who all think they're so much better because they got into the top schools, and graduated with top scores.
Strengths/weaknesses: She's a sharp shooter with any kind of gun, but is blind in her right eye. (She's left handed:)
History Rachel was born into an awfully poor family. Her mother was disowned from her rich parents after marrying Rachel's father, who at the time was only starting in the military. When Rachel was four, she built her first robot with scraps found around the rough neighborhood they lived in. Her mother rose to the top, as one of the best doctors in the Empire, and her father became the top dog in the military. At age eight, she was out looking for some scrap metal for some scrap metal for a robot she claimed, was going to be the best yet since it was her hundreth robot, and a car blew up after having a bomb implanted by the rebels. A fly-away metal sliced into her eye, blinding her insantly, and almost killing her. She went to a local highschool, and graduated top of her class, but said it wasn't her that did that, it was only her robots that pushed her through it all, as she had wanted to drop out.
Other Up for loveee(: You also can't tell she's blind unless you look close and see that her right eye is a little clouded over. She's used to have a deep scar on her eye, but her mother fixed it. She also still has the first robot she ever made, named Kawa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Name: Rasia
Personality: Rasia seems to be very, very hyper and loving. She's almost like a human teenager. Soon after injection, she grew on Rachel, and instead of hating one another, they became very close. She loves making fun of Rachel when she has her 'girl' thoughts, mainly because Rasia doesn't understand all of them.
Relationship with host: Best friend, pretty much. Loves making fun of her robots.
Other: Tried to help repair Rachel's sight, but gave up after Rachel saying it makes her who she is.
Last edited by Chupatoasta on Sat May 08, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reviews: 1
Sat May 08, 2010 1:06 am
Fox says...

Name: Tommy Jackson
Class: ???
Rebel/Empire: Rebel
Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Skills: Tommy is extremely smart and strategic. He majored in biology, and was going to be a doctor until he joined the rebels. He's okay at fighting, but only by hitting the bodies weak points, like pressure points, but he refuses to shoot a gun. Even so, he can be very useful in tight situations.
Personality: Tommy can be very clumsy sometimes, and he gets pressured easily. A good thing, though, is that when he get pressured or messes up, he can get out of the mess quickly and fixes it. He's really sweet and respectful, and cares deeply for the people he's close to. He would rather die himself than have a family member or friend die.
Strengths/weaknesses: ((Said in the personality))
[b]History:
He has always been rich, and the rest of his family was all for the symbiote thing. When they found out that he was against it, they practically disowned him. They expected much of him, and they were very strict and tough. Because they were being so rude to him, he ran away. Living on the streets, he met a few others who disliked the governments ideas about the symbiote thing. When they had enough people, the formed a gang of rebels.
Other: Up for love
Last edited by Fox on Sun May 09, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a fox, sly and quick.
I never give up
I never quit

I do what I can
I stand and fight

I strategize
I stand tall
throughout the night

I am a fox

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs