z

Young Writers Society

Goosebumps fan-fiction: Night At Murder Mansion, part 3

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:10 am
Maddy says...

Read the other two parts if it helps you to understand what's coming next. Also note that I am Australian, so words like center become centre and realization becomes realisation. Please do not pull me up on this!

“AAAHHH!” It was the second time I had screamed in two days. I heard a mad cackle of laughter, and, face flushing red with embarrassment, I faced Evil, who was clutching his sides.

“Man,” he sniggered, “you should have heard your scream!” I punched him softly on the shoulder, not hard enough to cause pain, but enough pressure for him to get the message.

“Don’t you ever do that again,” I growled warningly.

“Sorry, Max,” he said, his laughter dieing down, “I couldn’t resist.” He gave me a playful slap on the back. “So, are you ready to break in?”

“Oh, sure,” I responded sarcastically. I had a very minor question to ask him. “How the hell are we going to enter if the place is locked?” Public places are sure to have security… right?

“Locked?” he repeated, amused. “This place is neva’ shut up. Always open.”

And to demonstrate, he pushed open the oak doors.

“Woah,” I gasped, “it looks really…creepy.”

“That’s the point, you see,” said Evil, “otherwise the place wouldn’t get its reputation for bein’ haunted.

And with that statement, he hushed me inside.

The castle was far roomier then it appeared to be from the outside. The main entrance’s walls, made from smooth stone, spiralled up towards the ceiling, which was giving the impression of an upside-down cone. Flame torches hung from iron brackets, their lights flickering, casting enormous shadows wherever the light did not reach. A grand, crimson carpet stretched across the length of the room, all the way to the wooden stairs right opposite the entrance.

As I stood there beside Evil, who seemed to be enjoying the thrill of the eerie illusion cast by the fortress, I suddenly detected a musty smell lingering in the air. I hadn’t noticed it before, because I had been mesmerised by the castle. It was quite disgusting, and my nose screwed up in repulsion.

“Eugh!” I spat, “Evil, do you smell that?”

I glance at Evil for an answer, but he didn’t seem to notice me. He just simply stared around, wearing a close-to blank expression. But his eyes… I don’t know. Was it recognition or relief I found in them?

“Evil?”

“What?” He started suddenly. “Oh- oh, yeah, right. Mmm, funny smell.” And like that, the moment was gone, replaced by cringe-worthy silence.

“I still can’t believe no-one monitors this place,” I said, trying to soften up the mood.

“Yeah, kinda cool tho’! It makes more excitement for us!” He said, now beaming. He seemed to have forgotten about the silence. “Have you checked out the stuff on the walls?”

He pointed to some portraits, which were dusty and gold-framed, and some objects like copper and brass plates; they had little boxes underneath that had information scrawled on them. It was obvious they had been added for the enlightenment of the tourists. I edged closer, observing.

One caught my eye, however: it was a black-and-white portrait of many men, women and children dressed in olden-style clothing. Most were looking solemn; others looking horrified. The information at the bottom read “Patrons of the Black House, shortly after the Black Massacre of 1698. One day after this portrait was painted, the guests promptly evacuated.”

I could see the children (about my age) in the portrait; some looking agitated, some looking excited. All of their eyes were widened with emotion and extremely clear in the painting, drawing all the attention to them. When I looked closer, some of their clothes appeared ripped and torn. Why were these children restless? Were they bursting to get out and play?

Or did they just simply not understand the grim situation they were in?

I shivered and turned away. I did not want to think about it any longer. I instead focused on another intriguing thought.

“So, Evil? Now that we are here… what are we going to do?” I said it a little too bluntly on accident.

He stared at me as if I was dumb.

“What do you think? Explorin’, of course!”

Out of nowhere, my fishy companion withdrew a torch from underneath the jacket he was wearing. It was slim, black and portable, easily carried in one hand. At the press of a button, it’s bright, artificial light shimmered into life. Once more, his free hand groped around in the jacket and pulled out other identical torch, throwing it to me. Luckily, I was paying attention and caught it, because it was definitely heavier than I expected.

“Come on,” he said, “let’s go up the stairs. I know there’ll be plenty of rooms to explore. I don’t reckon even the staff that work here have bin’ everywhere.”

I shrugged, not knowing how to respond to this, and used my torch’s light to guide my shuffling feet upwards.

Now there was only silence between us, I had time to think. And the more I thought of the circumstances I was in, the more I felt vulnerable.

I was in a “supposedly” haunted castle, with a newfound friend who increasingly has me worried about his behaviour, at the dead of the night: nobody would argue that this isn’t the least bit worrying. Did I actually fall asleep after my disagreement with my mother, and this is just a vivid dream? It would explain the creepy coincidence of the house exactly resembling the castle in my nightmare the other night. I honestly wanted to believe this, but a dream this real couldn’t be a figment of my imagination.

Or could it? Since I’ve moved to this town, everything has seemed so unusual. The enthusiastically-insane teacher, the students who all seem to loathe me, the daredevil friend…

No. My brain was just overexciting itself, wanting to make something out of nothing. I angrily pushed these thoughts away, regretting my decision to take the time to mull over things. My mouth formed a straight line. I was determined to be brave.

As we reached the top of the stairs, we met a long corridor that appeared to have no end. Of course this was due to the darkness that our lights did not penetrate, but it was scary all the same. The walls were lined with doors, and at the same time, if our brains were riding the same thought-wave, Evil and I checked the doors closest to us simultaneously.

Damn. Both were locked. It figures: Leave the front entrance open, but lock everything inside. Evil made a frustrated, gutted sound when his attempts to yank the door ajar failed.

“Let’s try further up,” Evil said, still fuming. We crept along, torches held above us, like we were about to strike something with them.

Now I started to wonder about the “fun” part of this illegal activity. I couldn’t see the excitement, and as we hopelessly checked door after door, I kept thinking the only thrilling thing that could happen was if the police came barging in and arrested us. Or if we found a ghost, but that was impossible. Ghosts didn’t exist.

My mouth was still firmly shut, not only because of my determination, but Evil’s, too. He didn’t complain even when we had to climb another flight of stairs, so I wasn’t going to start groaning.

Finally, after what seemed the millionth door, Evil suddenly cried out in exuberance.

“Got one! It’s open, it’s open!”

Not even I could hide my joy. I turned and he was slowly opening the door to reveal…

A living room.

Lavishly furnished with comfortable objects, I could almost feel the grandeur of the place as I crossed into the area. A window allowed moonlight to spill into the room, revealing its contents. A brick fireplace held remainders of wood, now crumbled to ash. A crystal chandelier hung limply over our heads. A soft, crimson rug lay stretched in the centre of the room. It would be perfect, except…

“How does this match the rest of the castle?” I voice my thoughts out loud, “I mean, this castle is old and mediocre. And then you have this room, which is all flashy and expensive. Maybe the council did this place up themselves. What do you think, Evil?”

No response.

“Evil?”

These cliff-hanging answers were becoming frustratingly common.

I turned to my side, about ready to tell him this so, until I noticed he was not beside me anymore.

Instead, my friend was half collapsed at the side of a couch, clutching its arm for support, torch long discarded.

“Evil!” I yell, rushing to his side, dropping my own torch. “Evil, what’s the matter?” There was only a groan in response.

I checked for an obvious sign of injury, but there was none. No bleeding or bruising. It was clearly something I couldn’t see.

“No,” he muttered, barely audible, so I leaned in close to hear him, “he’s here, safe. No, please! Don’t punish me!” his voice pitch rose with the last few words. I could see the horror sketched onto his pallid face, the frightened look in his widened, piercing blue eyes.

He grabbed my shirt and yanked me closer. My own eyes broadened in shock.

And suddenly, before I could grasp the situation, a haunting, chilling voice spoke.

Max Henderson. Finally.”

Everything seemed to happen at once.

I spun around, releasing Evil’s grip, to face a child, sunken and gaunt in the cheeks, maniacally laughing. It seemed to flicker in and out of existence like a projector. Then the child, still cackling, stretched out in a kaleidoscope blur of colours, and as I screamed in terror, the multi-coloured shadow suddenly darted towards me. I doubled back, collapsing on my ankles, my head inevitably thudding against the arm of the sofa that was behind me.

I knew it was too late. My head seared with the pain of colliding with the chair. My heart was having spasms. The cold feeling of dread washed over me, and it was then I knew I was going to die here.

And as darkness threatened to ebb at my vision, for the pain and disbelief was too much for my failing body, I took one last fleeting glance at Evil.

He only gave me a hopeless stare back.

And then I was no more.

How's that for cliffhangers, R.L. Stine? Yes, that's right: ITS NOT OVER YET. MUAHAHAHA. There will be one final part released after this. I was going to add the 12th chapter at the end, but it would have spoilt the cliffhanger, so I decided not to.

Reviews, please!
Last edited by Maddy on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!
-"Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it might be another train coming."

This awesome post bought to you by me. :)

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:13 am
MiaParamore says...

Hi Maddy. I have finally reached the last updated part. I don't have much to say for that this chapter had less mistakes so that's good. I want to say that your storyline isn't so good in itself but the way you've written this is what draws people in. Would love to read the final part. And yes, the cliffhanger was awesome! And the confrontation with the ghost could've been better and more, i think. That's all. PM em when you post more or drop in a request. The link for it is below.

And like that, the moment was gone, replaced by cringe-worthy silence.
I liked the description and the word usage.

One caught my eye, however: it was a black-and-white photo of many men, women and children dressed in olden-style clothing.
'Olden', i am not sure even if is a word or not. Please replace it with ancient or old-time.

When I looked closer, some of there their clothes appeared ripped and torn.

“So, Evil? Now that we are here… what are we going to do?” I said it a little too bluntly on accident.
What do you mean by the bold words?

Rocking story! Sure your bro would love it!
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun May 09, 2010 7:29 pm
Elinor says...

Hi Maddy!

How are you? Now, I'm going to come out and say that I've never read Goosebumps or any other books by R.L. Stine[sp?], and I'm not familiar with what patterns he uses with his writing. Therefore, I'm not going to be as in-depth as I normally would since I don't want to say anything irrelevant.

Maddy wrote:“AAAHHH!” I screamed again for the second time in two days.

You don't need to write out the screaming part. If you say that the narrator screamed, we'll know what sound she made.

“Man,” he sniggered, “you should have heard you scream!”

This sounds a little bit awkward. I mean, I haven't heard anyone say it exactly like this before. Maybe 'you should have heard your scream' would be better.

“Oh, sure,” I responded sarcatically. I had a very minor question to ask him. “How in the hell are we going to enter if the place is locked?”
“Locked?” he repeated, amused. “This place is neva’ shut up. Always open.”

If this is open, why does the narrator think it's locked? Explain.

I gasped, mouth forming a perfect ‘O’, “it looks really…creepy.

The part which I've bold-faced is redundant. The reader knows what our mouths look like when we're surprised or scared. Secondly, this part is very tell-y. Because we aren't walking right alongside the narrator, so you have to show us what parts of the room makes it creepy. Is it dark? Are there cobwebs hanging from the corners of the walls? Is there a blast of cold air inside? Little sensory details like this really help create a feel as to what the setting is like.

The main entrance’s walls, made from smooth stone, spiralled up towards the ceiling, giving the impression of an upside-down cone.

I can't really picture what you're describing. Try to rephrase. How can walls be spiral-shaped?

I suddenly detected a musty, dusty smell lingering in the air.

Go with their musty or dusty. You don't need both, and the rhyme sort of kills the effect. Also, why didn't the narrator notice it before?

He just simply stared around, wearing an expression on his face that was hard to make out clearly.

I think you're over-complicating things with this a bit. It gets a little bit tedious, especially when there is a single word you can use: blank.

It looked, however, like he was returning home after a long break from family. Very bizarre, I thought.

How is your narrator able to tell that, exactly? Instead of telling us what the narrator thinks they see, tell us what exactly Evil's face looked like so we'll be able to interpret our own conclusion.

“I still can’t believe no-one monitors this place.” I said, trying to soften up the mood.

I think the dialogue punctuation error is a typo here since you were doing it right before. The only times you should have periods after dialogue is at the end of a line that's broken up by a tag, or if the line of dialogue has no tag itself.

He pointed to some photos and portraits, which were dusty and wooden-framed

In and old, extravagant castle, would frames be made out really be made out of wood? It was a cheap material-the picture frames here might be made out of an expensive metal like brass, silver, gold, or bronze. I recommend that you do a little research to double-check exactly what they would have been made out of, though.

in the photo looking agitated and excited.

Agitated and excited mean two different things. Agitated is a synonym for annoyed, while excited means that you're eagerly awaiting something. The two don't really match well together as emotions one would be experiencing at the same time. Maybe you meant to say that some where agitated and some where excited?

All of their eyes, widened with emotion and extremely clear in the photo, piercing the bad-quality of the shot and drawing all the attention to them.

This is a bit of a mouthful to take in. You can probably just delete the second part and have it say, 'All of their eyes pierced the bad-quality shot.' I don't really understand what you were trying to say with the very last part, either. Perhaps you could rephrase?

He stared at me as if I was the dumbest person on earth.

This part is a bit overblown. Just saying, 'I was dumb' will get the message across. No need to try to make things anything more then what they are, right?

reveal…
A living room.

This part seems a little cheesy, like you're yelling to the reader, "Hey look, this part's supposed to be suspenseful" rather then just naturally letting the suspense build.

So, I'm going to end this right here and give you my general thoughts on the piece! I liked the ending, but it seems to move along a little too quickly in contrast to the slow tone of the rest of the piece. You opened up a lot of threads that I'm hoping you'll tie up with the last part of the story.

One thing that sort of bothered me throughout is that you didn't really seem to take advantage of the setting you created. I couldn't really picture the castle as being anything unique or scary. It seemed cliche, like one of those haunted houses out of a Scooby Doo adventure. When you revise this, what I think you need to do is really get a layout and feel of what you want the castle to be like. Imagine what it would be like to be the narrator's shoes and walking around in the castle. If you do that, you can really show us what kind of a place this is, and thus evoking more fear and suspense throughout.

Overall, it wasn't bad. I'll be looking forward to another installment in this. PM me if you have questions.

-Elinor xo

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Tue May 18, 2010 4:16 am
lilymoore says...

Hey there Maddy! I'm sorry I didn't get back to you right away. It's a long story that I've already explained like....three times tonight. I'm not up for doing it again!

Most were looking solemn at the camera

'solemnly' is what you're looking for I do believe.

“Patrons of the Black House, shortly after the Black Massacre of 1698. One day after this photo was taken, the guests promptly evacuated.”

Um...we didn't have cameras back then...if you're going for realism.

Luckily, I was paying attention and catched it,

Does it sound funny to you do? 'caught' ... unless it's an Aussie thing? I sure hope not.

I can't remember all of the R.L. Stine I used to read as a kid and this is definitely reminiscent of the good old days which is a super positive and star-worthy quality. Just be careful with the adjectives. You do seem to go a little description-crazy every now and then.

If you have any questions, go ahead and PM me.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Thu May 20, 2010 4:24 pm
Blift says...

Oh, sure,” I responded sarcastically. I had a very minor question to ask him. “How in the hell are we going to enter if the place is locked?”

Just do How the hell

As I stood there beside Evil, who seemed to be enjoying the thrill of the eerie illusion cast by the fortress, I suddenly detected a musty, dusty smell lingering in the air. It was quite disgusting, and my noise screwed up in repulsion.

Nose

“Yeah, kinda cool tho’! More excitement for us!” He said, now beaming. He seemed to have forgotten about the silence. “Have you checked out the stuff on the walls?”

he said

One caught my eye, however: it was a black-and-white photo of many men, women and children dressed in olden-style clothing. Most were looking solemn at the camera; others looking horrified. The information at the bottom read “Patrons of the Black House, shortly after the Black Massacre of 1698. One day after this photo was taken, the guests promptly evacuated.”

:? OMG They had cameras that time!!!

He stared at me as if I was the dumbest person on earth.

Earth

Luckily, I was paying attention and catched it, because it was definitely heavier than I expected.

Caught

“Come on,” he said, “let’s go up the stairs. I know there’ll be plenty of rooms to explore. I don’t reckon even the staff that work here have bin’ everywhere.”

Let's and Been

Damn. Locked. Figures: Leave the front entrance open, but lock everything inside. Evil made a frustrated, gutted sound when his attempts to yank the door ajar failed.

It Figures

“No,” he muttered, barely audible, so I leaned in close to hear him, “he’s here, safe. No, please! Don’t punish me!” his voice pitch rose with the last few words. I could see the horror sketched onto his pallid face, the frighten look in his widened, piercing blue eyes.

Frightened

I spun around, releasing Evil’s grip, to face a child, sunken and gaunt in the cheeks. It was maniacally laughing. It seemed to flicker in and out of existence like a faulty projector.

It? Should be He or She.

Ok, this was good I can't wait for the next bi, to find out the mystery of Black House and Evil
:pirate3:

Tracy Beaker!!!

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.
— Corrie Ten Boom