z

Young Writers Society

The Fae (Accepting Applications)

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Many of these ideas are from the book Tithe by Holly Black. All credit for them goes to her.

Step out of reality into a world divided. The Fae are the creatures of the faerie world: pixies, nymphs, centaurs,and the like, as well as some creatures that don't have names.
In this world, there are two courts: the Seelie and the Unseelie. The Seelie believe in peaceful coexistence between humans and Fae,the Unseelie believe that the Fae should rule over both kinds.

That is where you come in. You are either a member of the Seelie or Unseelie court, or a human caught up in the struggle.

Humans live unaware of the fact that faeries exist, and this is modern times. Even if they were told they were real, they wouldn't believe it.

Everyone, that is, except for one unlucky human.

The Unseelie are currently overpowered by the Seelie, so for now, most humans are safe. Most. As a symbol that they are not completely powerless, the Unseelie sacrifice a human each year, called the Tithe.

How the Courts work:

What the Seelie Lands look like:

What the Unseelie lands look like (on the other side of the Obsidian Sea):

The River is named after the current Unseelie Queen. It's current name is Aranrhor. The Abyss of Darkness is simply an abyss that drops straight to the center of the earth. Melanie falls is a waterfall that drops into the abyss from the river, named so because of one of the past Queens, Melanie, who went for an unfortunate boat ride down that tributary and never came back. The Lake of Blood is actually a hot springs that glows red at night. Prisoners are brought there for execution, hence the Last Path. The Vagabond's lagoon is hidden in the mountains, called that because of the thieves that live near it.

The Unseelie court is virtually unaccessible unless you have a dragon or other flying creature to take you over the abyss.

Where does the human world connect, you might ask? A powerful spell keeps humans from ever stumbling into the lands, but if a Queen gives an order, a faerie can bring one human across at a time. Fae can come and go as they please, and once in the human world, a spell makes them look like normal human beings to the naked eye, or completely invisible.

The Tithe takes place on August first. Who will be selected this time?

Plot: You are a faerie, either Seelie, Unseelie, or a vagabond, thief, etc. caught up in the struggle between the courts. As the time of the Tithe draws near, fights begin breaking out between courts deaths are being reported. When the Tithe occurs, it acts as the final straw. War breaks out, and when it enters the human world, nothing will be the same again. Also note that iron is like poison to the Fae, touching it will burn their skin, touching it for a long time will kill them.

Rules: No God-Modding. I might make an exception for the Queens, as they are supposed to be all-powerful.
No perfect characters, not even Queens. They are inhumanly beautiful, but that masks either a thirst for blood or an uncontrollable fear of the dark, etc.
Post often, and try to make each post at least 100 words.
Don't kill off characters without other's permission. I will have two characters, and one of them will be the Tithe. She/he is the only one who will be killed initially.
Mild swearing is allowed, but remember to stick to your character. Humans might curse, but noble faeries talk in old English.
Mild romance is allowed, but no sexuality unless it is just being briefly mentioned.
Violence is allowed, and while it may be gory, don't make every sentence about gore.
If you break a rule, you'll hear from me.
If you don't post for over a week you will be killed off (exception: people who PM me that they're going away on vacation or will not have computer access for a while. In that case, get someone else to post for you.)

Slots:

Spoiler! :
Seelie Queen- WhiteTiger93
Unseelie Queen-Scarlettfire
Queen's first guard (one for each, must be male)unseelie by Jagged, Seelie by Me
Generals (one for each, Unseelie must be male)
First Officers, Lords and Ladies of the Court (I will allow one lord and one lady for each court, and one first officer for each)Seelie Lady taken by Kidashka Unseelie Lady by Araidne
Common folk, Soldiers, Servants in Palace (one of each for each court)Unseelie servent taken by NepogirlSeelie by ArahniaSiddel
Vagabonds, Thieves, Peasants (one for both courts combined)Seelie peasant taken by ladyoftheddeathroses
The Tithe taken by me
I will allow some humans, if people are interested in them, post a profile and I will PM you instructions if you get in.

Templates:

For Queens (Queens all look like humans with slightly elfish features):

Spoiler! :
Name:
Age (in faerie):
Apparent age:
Appearance (be detailed):
Picture (not optional, note that humanoid pictures of them are acceptable):
Allegiance (Seelie or Unseelie):
Personality (detailed):
History(detailed):
Powers (Queens can be very powerful, up to three good ones):
Likes/Dislikes:
Abilities:
Quirks/Flaws:
Other (Queens may be up for love, but they may never marry or openly date, if you get what I mean):

You may be any Fae creature that walks and talks, so long as they are not an animal faerie like a dragon or a salamander.If you wish to make up your own, please give a description.

For everyone besides humans:

Spoiler! :
Name:
Age (in faerie):
Apparent age:
Appearance (be detailed):
Allegiance:
Job (General, Lord, Peasant, Farmer, etc.):
Personality (detailed):
History (detailed):
Powers (if any, only one or two mild ones):
Likes/Dislikes:
Abilities:
Type of Faerie (pixie, centaur, etc.):
Quirks/Flaws:
Other (First Guards may not be up for love, although they may fancy someone. Queens and First Guards have been known to get along very well, *winks*):

Humans:

Spoiler! :
Name:
Picture (no optional):
Job (if any):
Personality:
History:
Likes/Dislikes:
Abilities:
Quirks/Flaws:
Other:

Choose your side, for the battle starts now.
Last edited by ToritheMonster on Sun May 30, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

351 Reviews

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:40 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Name: Felicia Moore
Appearance:Slim with honey-blonde hair and dark blue eyes. A fairly normal teenage girl.
Picture:[url]Image[/url]
Job (if any):unemployed, she has been chosen to be the Tithe
Personality:Felicia is a calm, kind spirited girl. She's a lover, not a fighter, and very bright.
History:Felicia grew up in a small town in American New England, and is finishing off high school in the top of her class. She isn't very popular, but she does have a few friends. Her family is respected in the town, and they all get along well.
Likes/Dislikes:Likes the color blue, drawing, writing, hanging out with her friends. Dislikes fighting, sports, and big dogs.
Abilities:She's very clever and good with people and animals.
Quirks/Flaws:She's not very athletic and is afraid of big dogs, spiders, and blood.
Other:

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:45 am
kidashka says...

Which species of Fae are there to choose from?
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

351 Reviews

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:03 pm
View Likes
ToritheMonster says...

any you want, so long as it's not an animal such as a dragon. I'll edit that in.

33 Reviews

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:11 pm
kidashka says...

Ok, I'll post a profile soon-ish :D
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."

351 Reviews

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:14 am
ToritheMonster says...

Is anyone interested in this?

33 Reviews

Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:36 pm
kidashka says...

I suspect that cause there is only a DT, not many people know it exists? Why not PM some storybookers?
Here's my profile anyhow.

Name: Nanare
Age (in faerie): 437
Apparent age: 24
Appearance (be detailed): She's quite tall and willowy, with slender features and brown eyes that are almost black. Tends to wear flowing green dresses (sort of a greek style?)
Picture (not optional):
Spoiler! :

Allegiance: Seelie
Job : Lady of the Court
Personality : This largely depends on the season; in summer she is very sociable and generally friendly but at winter she becomes more withdrawn and bitter (think PMS but for three months at a time). However she is a trustworthy person with a good sense of humour, as long as you catch her in the right season!
History : Her mother is a dryad and her father a satyr, and they are one of the more respected aristocrat families due to her parent's support in previous wars against the Unseelie.
Powers : Can merge into her tree, and has a special bond with it - it's part of her soul, and she would die without it.
Tree looks like this-
Spoiler! :

Likes/Dislikes: Likes being outside, summer, flowers. Dislikes winter, cold, fire.
Abilities:
Type of Faerie : Dryad. (Tree Nymph)
Quirks/Flaws: Can at times be selfish and puts the needs of her tree above all else. She often spends as much time preening it as she does preening herself.
Other : Is known to have a relationship with a Seelie First Officer [<- anyone can take this]
Last edited by kidashka on Mon May 03, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:43 am
Apple says...

I'll join. Though, I'll post a charrie later. I'm going to do twin guys. If that is alright?
I spy!

351 Reviews

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:22 am
ToritheMonster says...

yup

33 Reviews

Mon May 03, 2010 4:17 pm
kidashka says...

Will someone else join? It sounds pretty interesting :D

351 Reviews

Mon May 03, 2010 6:09 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Yeah. nobody seems to be veryinterested. I'm going to send out some PMs. Erm... private messages.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon May 03, 2010 6:16 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Can I be the Unseelie queen?

Name: Aranrhod. (Called Ariana by her court and Ana by the humans.)

Age (in faerie): 1,876.

Apparent age: 22.

Appearance (be detailed): Tall, slim, atheletic with blue-black and pale blue-white hair and dark blue eyes that are almost black. She is always seen wearing flowing blue-black corseted dresses. Always has a dagger on her.

Spoiler! :

Allegiance (Seelie or Unseelie): Unseelie.

Personality (detailed): She appears nice and calm at first, friendly even but she's really a malicious, manipulative and violent faerie. She lieks to use intimidation and her beauty to scare or enthrall others. Sometimes she's even unpredictable but more often then not you'll know what she wants and how she'll ask for it.

History(detailed): Ariana took the throne by force when she was younger. She has ruled for a thousand years and in that time has ruled justly but sometimes there were mistakes made and people suffered for them.

When she was young, Ariana seduced a human prince and had a daughter by him. This daughter is still alive and has been hidden away, somewhere in faerie. Ariana has told her daughter nothing of her fey side and refuses to do so.

Many faeries have tried to dethrone Ariana and so far, all have failed. She wants more power and is plotting on taking her court out of faerie to do so, which means the human world is in danger.

Powers (Queens can be very powerful, up to three good ones): She can control the shadows and wrap them around her, can control several small flames and plunge a room into pitch darkness that only she can see through.

Likes/Dislikes: Likes power, respect, violence and her daughter. Dislikes humans, lack of respect and hates it when members of her court make mistakes.

Abilities: Good with a bow and arrow, daggers and manipulating the shadows. Good with long diastance and close quarters combat but prefers long distance since that way she doesn't get her hands dirty.

Quirks/Flaws: Ariana craves power and respect and will do pretty much anything to get it. She also has a horrid temper and if she loses it, she will snap and make mistakes. Ariana has a daughter, if someone were to use said daughter then Ariana would panic. Her daughter is a weakness she tries to hide and is not talked of in court.

Other (Queens may be up for love, but they may never marry or openly date, if you get what I mean): Yes, up for love. Aranrhod is Ariana's old name, a name she doesn't use anymore.
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Mon May 03, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon May 03, 2010 6:45 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

I want to try for the Unseelie Queen.

Name: Teodora
Age (in faerie): 1,534
Apparent age: 25
Appearance (be detailed): Tall and slim. She has a very authoritative air. Her hair is silky and light blue and goes down to her mid-back. Her features are sharp and she had pointed ears. Her eyes glow, and are a silvery color. Her skin is pale. She has markings around her eyes and wears a lot of jewelry. She wears dresses in colors that range from black to dark purple, but if she's fighting she dresses in this, minus the things sticking up from the shoulders: http://maskworld.scene7.com/is/image/ma ... $fullsize$
Picture (not optional, note that humanoid pictures of them are acceptable): http://web.mit.edu/kayla/Public/Backgro ... 0Cover.JPG (disregard the purple skin).
Allegiance (Seelie or Unseelie): Unseelie.
Personality (detailed): Unpredictable. Sometimes she's horribly cruel, and other times she's surprisingly forgiving. She's charismatic and loves a challenge. She enjoys playing mind games with people. She commands a high amount of respect.
History(detailed): She inherited the throne from her mother. She disliked the position at first, but then she grew to love the power she has. She wants more power. AKA, power over humans.
Powers (Queens can be very powerful, up to three good ones): She can enchant her arrows to never miss as well as explode on impact, fade from view as long as she stays in one place, and can control the mind of one person at a time.
Likes/Dislikes: She loves power and being treated highly. She hates it when people disrespect her and slack.
Abilities: Very skilled with her bow, and is uncannily good at making people change their minds about things.
Quirks/Flaws: Overconfident. She doesn't like making friends, and instead prefers to intimidate and overcome.
Other (Queens may be up for love, but they may never marry or openly date, if you get what I mean): Up for love I suppose.
Last edited by gsppcrocks10 on Mon May 03, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

351 Reviews

Mon May 03, 2010 8:43 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Scarlett ang Gsp, your profiles are both very good and almost all fine- but please note that Seelie and Unseelie Queens look like normal humans and wouldn't have purple skin or invisible wings. They are inhumanly beautiful and may have slightly drawn-up elfish features, but their magic and beauty is the only thing that would really make them different from humans. Maybe I didn't specify that enough... anyway, if you could fix that It'd be great, or if you want I'll just disregaurd that particular part of their appearance. Thanks!

33 Reviews

Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 pm
kidashka says...

...Which one is the Unseelie Queen?!

Tons of cowering! Plus your name in the summer programme. A custom-designed banner. A cabin at Camp Half-Blood. Two shrines. I'll even throw in a Kymopoleia action figure.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus