z

Young Writers Society

Raven High

Reviews: 1
Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:32 am
Codie says...

"...Everyone will have chance to enter Ravenwood Academy, it is if you passes our required tests then maybe you will be able to enter into our fine teaching facilities." The booming voice of an elderly man rang out from the black microphone positioned in the middle of the stadium. I could see his forehead crease with unexpected laughter; a mocking smile covered his bearded face.
"There will be only one test mind you, though this test will be the decider. All pupils will be required to go through a track in teams of seven, each team will be given a map and a compass. Through this test, students will have to use maths and English skills to navigate through towards the finish" I blinked, he wasn't telling us something I could see it in the way his lips moved he was holding something back. I turned to look back at the crowd, people of all sizes stood in the great band stand. Smiling happily, I frowned my skirts tumbling around my ankles. I looked down at the white cloth, wishing that I had placed on my skinny jeans instead of a hula skirt.
"What's happening?" I heard a boy say behind me, looking back slightly I saw he was addressing a girl next to him.
"I think to get into the school we have to go through a track in a group..."
"I know that!" he interrupted rudely "I want to know why everyone is lining up for this stupid school anyway?"
"Why are you here?" she demanded angrily, I looked down at my converse shoes.
"I'm here because my grandmother can't take care of me anymore" I whispered to myself closing my eyes, my fingers reaching up towards my neck.
"I actually don't know" he swivelled around looking up at the people around him "I though it was a party"
I tuned out, sick of hearing this boy talk, looking back up to the older man I saw him turn his head away from the crowd pulling out a compass
"This will be all contestants tool for the next few hours. We have already selected the group in which people will be travelling through. All group members who signed in at entry and who have been ticked off; can use please come up to the stage to await your map and compass"
"All this for one school" a girl shook her head next to me, "It better be darn great if I have to go trudging through nowhere"
"Michaela Green, Marcus Winifred, Taylor Macintosh, Sofia Winnable, Tyler Kimble, Isa Longreach and Mina Himo" People began to walk out at the sound of their names, collecting a map and compass as they were passed down towards them. Closing my eyes I began to hum to myself my nerves hitting at the side of my stomach.
"Mariah Newberry..." name after name began to be called out, as anxious team mates ran across the field towards the track. I began to fumble with my skirts my heart skipping a beat, practically everyone had departed.
"What happens if you're the last one?" I asked myself "And they kicked you out because you're too weird just like everyone say's. What happens if someone told them that you were weird"
"Saffron Claris..." I looked up at the sound of my name, my heart skipping. Walking towards the podium I could see other people standing there awkwardly waiting for me. A boy with yellow blonde hair, picked up the map inspecting it.
"It's broken" he muttered, I saw the boy next to him with black hair stare at it.
"No, you have it the wrong way round" pulling it from his hands he flipped it staring at it himself.
"Hey now it's fixed" he laughed leaning against the podium.
"How come we have only six people!" A pretty girl that looked like her face had been sculpted by artists complained, her long strawberry blonde hair bouncing slightly.
"Because" the man smiled "You guys… better get going if you want to win" I took the compass, staring at the plastic.
I could see them begin to walk, I didn't look up I just stared down at the compass.
"What's your name?" I heard the blonde haired boy ask another boy with a maroon hair and a masculine build, a pack of marshmallow held tightly in his hand.
"Equador" he smiled through chewing on marshmallow’s
"And you" the boy turned to me, I felt my cheeks go red. The boy was good looking almost pretty
"Saffron" I mumbled
"I'm Tommy" he laughed, he turned towards the black haired boy with the glasses. He was holding onto the map sliding his finger up and down a path
"What?" he asked non to majestically.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:07 am
Apple says...

Apple's Reviews

Spoiler! :
Raven High

"...Everyone will have chance to enter Ravenwood Academy, it is if you passes our required tests then maybe you will be able to enter into our fine teaching facilities." The booming voice of an elderly man rang out from the black microphone positioned in the middle of the stadium. I could see his forehead crease with unexpected laughter; a mocking smile covered his bearded face.

"There will be only one test mind you Contradicts the first sentence., though this test will be the decider. All pupils will be required to go through a track in teams of seven, each team will be given a map and a compass. Through this test, students will have to use maths and English skills to navigate through missing some wordstowards the finish." I blinked, he wasn't telling us something.
Use a space here.
I could see it in the way his lips moved; he was holding something back. I turned to look back at the crowd. People of all sizes stood in the great band stand. Smiling happily, I frowned Contradictingmy skirts tumbling around my ankles. I looked down at the white cloth, wishing that I had placed on my skinny jeans instead of a hula skirt. Hula Hula! :lol:

"What's happening?" I heard a boy say behind me. Looking back slightly I saw that he was addressing a girl next to him.

"I think, to get into Raven Academy You should say it's name instead of saying that school. we have to go through a track in a group..."

"I know that!" he interrupted rudely. "I want to know why everyone is lining up for this stupid school anyway?"

"Why are you here?" she demanded angrily, I looked down at my converse shoes.I think you could place something hear, the sentence doesn't seemed finished.

"I'm here because my grandmother can't take care of me anymore" I whispered to myself closing my eyes, my fingers reaching up towards my neck. You should place thoughts in italics.

"I actually don't know?" He swivelled around looking up at the people around him, "I thought it was a party."

I tuned out, sick of hearing this boy talk Doesn't really make much sense.. Looking back up at the older man, I saw him turn try; he turned, instead.his head away from the crowd pulling out a compass.

"This will be all thecontestants tools for the next few hours. We have already selected the group in which people will be travelling through. All group members who havesigned in at theentry and who have been ticked off; can use please come up to the stage to await your map and compass." To much words, you could drop most of it to make it make more sense.

"All this for one school!" A girl shook her head next to me. "It better be darn great if I have to go trudging through nowhere."

"Michaela Green, Marcus Winifred, Taylor Macintosh, Sofia Winnable, Tyler Kimble, Isa Longreach and Mina Himo..." People began to walk out at the sound of their names, collecting a map and compass as they were passed down towards them.
Space here.
Closing my eyes I began to hum to myself, my nerves hitting at the sides of my stomach.

"Mariah Newberry..." name after name began to be called out, as anxious team mates ran across the field towards the track. I began to fumble with my skirts my heart skipping a beat, practically everyone had departed.

"What happens if you're the last one?" I asked myself "And they kicked you out because you're too weird just like everyone say's. What happens if someone told them that you were weird" I thought. You should add that in to make it more stronger.

"Saffron Claris..."Cool name! :) I looked up at the sound of my name; my heart skipping. Walking towards the podium I could see other people standing there awkwardly waiting for me. A boy with yellow blonde hair, picked up the map inspecting it.

"It's broken" he muttered, I saw the boy next to him with black hair stare at it.

"No, you have it the wrong way round" Haha :lol: pulling it from his hands, he flipped it around staring at it himself.

"Hey now it's fixed." He laughed, leaning against the podium.

"How come we have only six people!" A pretty girl that looked like her face had been sculpted by artists complained. Her long strawberry blonde hair bouncing slightly.

"Because" the man smiled "You guys… better get going if you want to win" I took the compass, staring at the plastic.

I could see them who's them? The team mates.begin to walk. I didn't look up I just stared down at the compass. <-- I don't think that last sentence is needed.

"What's your name?" I heard the blonde haired boy ask another boy with a maroon hair and a masculine build, a pack of marshmallow held tightly in his hand.

"Equador" he smiled through chewing on marshmallow’s. Sentence doesn't make sense.

"And you?" The boy turned to me, I felt my cheeks go red. The boy was good looking almost pretty.

"Saffron," I mumbled.

"I'm Tommy!" He laughed, he turned try turning insteadtowards the black haired boy with the not neededglasses. He was holding onto the map sliding his finger up and down a pathway.

"What?" he asked non to majestically. I think more is needed to the ending.

Grammar: :smt096 I think it needs a lot of work! There was a lot of incorrect punctuation and whole heap of wording that could have been done with out. If you read over your work, you can pick up a whole heap of problems before you start! (That's like me) :smt084

MC (Main Character) and other characters:I think they are very good! They have great personalities especially Tommy, he reminds me of my friend. :lol: Which is awesome. And all of them, they are in fact one of the best character portayal's I have ever seen.

Structure:A few spaces were needed between the biggest paragraphs, but otherwise, I saw no problems. You evened out the speech part, which is good. I never do that, but I think you're supposed to. :smt003

Overall:Grammar and ending needs work. You stopped the story adruptly, when I think more was really needed. Though, it is still a good effort of work. I think you should fix up the mistakes before you keep going, and yeah, I can't wait for the next addition. :) PM when you have it up!
I spy!

Reviews: 1
Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:39 pm
Codie says...

Thanks. :) I'll re-edit it then, and finish off the ending.

Positive anything is better than negative nothing.
— Elbert Hubbard