z

Young Writers Society

Diamond Fire: Chapter One

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:09 pm
emmylou1995 says...

Chapter One

The small room is filled with many clothes, costumes, hats, and jewelry. In one corner sits a bureau with make-up scattered on it. Different sized shoes littered the floor along with hundreds of hair clips. To the left is a large elegant mirror with golden swirls carved into it and to the right stands a small oak door. Overhead, a small white light clings to the ceiling.
I stepped carefully across the floor to where the tall dresser stood. Thoughtfully, I chose an outfit, complete with a sultry and shimmering golden half shirt with short brown sleeves, golden beaded accents and an attached veil, and a matching gold and brown skirt. I completely covered my right arm in golden bangles and my feet in golden sandals. Then, I transformed my simple face into a dazzling beauty by adding gold dust above my eyes, a slight tint of pink to my cheeks, and shiny golden lip gloss to my small lips. I sprinkled golden dust in my long brown hair, giving it the ability to shine immensely in the sun.
I glanced at myself in the tall elegant mirror.
“Missing something...” I whispered, raising an eyebrow and frowning as I glanced over my golden outfit. My frown disappeared as my eyes caught sight of the tattoos.
The thin black swirls cover my face from my right forehead to my neck. They also showed on my shoulder, thighs, and feet, though not as noticeable as the ones on my face. I traced the beautiful black lines with my index finger. These tattoo's offer the knowledge to those around me that magic is alive in me. That my soul burns with the energy of the forgotten magic. Old, ancient magic from the beginnings of Ronaria. Magic that almost no soul can attempt unless they are born with these black markings.
Even so, I cannot, and will not, attempt the old magic until I find a teacher. Because unless I am taught the rules of old magic, there could be drastically tragic outcomes of any use of it. Instead, I use my magic basics, which, because I am a sorceress of the old magic, I am more powerful at than others. Just a tad bit.
Biting my lip as I prepared to leave the room and preform my dance, the door opened behind me and Asha walked in. Her outfit of a short tan skirt and a light blue shirt is simple. Most of the time, other than when I am dancing, I wear even simpler clothes than that. Sometimes a plain green dress with nothing else, not even shoes.
Asha raised her eyebrows at me and smiled.
“You are beautiful, Kala. I am jealous.” Asha smiled. She came up to me and fixed my shirt a little bit. She grabbed my comb and began to brush my long brown hair.
“You know Kala, what you can do is amazing. You should see the look on those peoples faces when you dance. You entrance them,” she murmured to me.
“I know, Asha. I know,” I whispered, looking to the ground. I curled my fingers and sighed. My talent to dance is what I live for. It is the one thing I have true passion in. Well, one of the things.
“You could take it a step further,” Asha suddenly proposed.
“What?” I asked, confused and suspicious.
“I know you have the power to draw more people to us. Why don't you? We could earn so much more money. Buy new clothes, a new stage, new...”she rambled, stopping combing my hair.
“No!” I said coldly, my eyes becoming slits. I spun around to face her. Asha dropped the comb and took a step backwards. “Never will I use my power to get money! How can you think like that?! Its selfish and..and...wrong!”
I practically stabbed my ears with long golden earrings and stormed out the door. Asha watched me go, dumbfounded.
I headed towards the stage, set up a few feet from the costume room. How can she think like that? Lure people in and steal their money? No. I dance not to get money but because I love to dance. How dare Asha say that! And she knows I would react this way too!
Steaming mad, I flung myself through the black curtain of the stage. The small crowd of people stared up at me, waiting, expecting. Their eyes penetrated my golden clothing and bright green eyes. To my left I caught sight of Gaendir, the man who began this...group that I belong to. He took in Asha when she was still a small orphaned servant, and raised her as his own. He allowed Caddric, a dying wanderer, to join him and Asha. Then, he invited Atturis and Okra, escaped guild hall twins, and I, the orphaned lords child, to join. And now, we have our own little group.
But it is not where I belong.
Hearing Atturis shuffle around behind the curtain I prepared myself. I closed my eyes as his music began. The soft and exotic strumming calmed me down, creating an endless flow of peace throughout my body.
Imagining my mother's voice, I began to dance.

Later in the evening, I sat outside the small house a few feet from the costume room and stage. Laying back on the trunk of a tree, my distressed eyes wandered up to the two moons in the night sky. The southern one is always slightly larger than the northern one. I always enjoy watching the southern one more, it has a beautiful blue glow about it. The tiny sparkling stars made me smile sadly. I plan to leave them. Gaendir and Asha and the twins. I plan to go away, I just don't know where to. I don't belong here, and I hope they understand. I mean, Gaendir is like a father to me. I realize that he saved me from starvation and loneliness after my mother was taken but...but I just can't live here any more. It is not what I want or need. I need a teacher to teach me the forgotten magic.
I shivered, the cold night air weaving through my brown locks. I wrapped my green shawl tighter around my shoulders.
“Kala?” a voice called from behind me.
I jumped, frightened by the sudden noise. Glancing behind me, I watched Okra make her way over to me. She stood and leaned against the tree I sat beneath.
“How do you do it?” she asked.
“Do what?” I questioned, raising my eyebrows in curiosity. My brown hair fell into my eyes and I pushed it away.
“That dancing. How do you do it? I mean, I swear, this is the first time that I watched your whole dance and...and...” she stuttered.
“And what?” I asked.
“And you were like a bird. Well, what I imagine a bird is like. You danced like a..a sorceress. A stunning, golden sorceress. I mean, I know you are a sorceress, but...but you just looked more elegant and...mysterious, in a way,” she stuttered, awe creeping into her soft, low voice.
“I don't know. I just...dance,” I whispered, my eyes wandering towards the dark outline of the stage. I do just dance. It is just part of who I am.
“You truly are a sorceress, huh?” she humphed.
“Not yet,” I sighed, staring once more at the large southern moon, “Not until I am taught the forgotten magic.”

I walked down the tight path of dirt early the next morning.
The dirt path leads to a very spiritual and powerful place called Risa, a garden-like meadow where it is said the goddess Udara dwells. Most people in the city of Zosa, the city in which I live, come here to either pray, worship, or ask for guidance from Udara.
On either side of me, tall green trees filled with fruit rose to the skies. Around my feet, tiny orange balls of fur rolled, common animals called fur-gins. I picked one up and it squirmed in my hand. Lifting away the orange fur I uncovered its face, the large black eyes and the cute red nose. The fur-gin shivered and smiled at me with his tiny mouth, teeth less, then he jumped back to the ground. I laughed, and kept on walking, careful not to squish them with my feet.
Soon, I came to the clearing where Udara is said to dwell. All around me stood the same trees as on the path, but much more dense. The soft grass is teeming with fur-gins and thousands of tiny red flowers. Somewhere in between a rose and a dragon lily. But, the most beautiful thing in the clearing has to be the tiny hut sitting on the grass a few feet ahead. Rich green vines wrapped around the wood of the door. The roof is covered in green and brown leaves from past days. A slight glow seemed to emit from the doorway of the hut.
I gulped as I walked up to the hut and pushed aside the door, walking inside.
The tiny room is dark except for one candle on the opposite wall. It illuminated a box of fire starters and a fire pit to one side of the room. I took a stick and began a fire, listened to it crackle as it became alive and lit the hut. I sat down, cross legged, before the fire and closed my eyes. The sound of the fire filled my ears. I breathed in and out very, very slowly in order to calm myself. Then, I prayed to my goddess.
“To my holy deity. I pray for wisdom, for guidance and knowledge. I ask for help through difficult times and hardships. I pray for you to speak to me. To tell me what to do, where to go. I do not belong with the people I am with now. But I belong with you. My passion is to dance. I long for fighting, for the ability to defend myself and my people from the Sages. And to fight I need a teacher to teach me the forgotten magic. But most of all, I need someone by my side, who I can trust and love, forever. I...”
“Do not worry my child. My love. My prodigy.”
I fell silent, listening for Udara's voice once more. I prayed she would speak again.
“Something grand awaits you. You must learn patience and gain much knowledge of the forgotten magic. You need to prepare for great and terrible things. But...”
I gulped.
“All good comes with a price,” Udara's voice whispered, “Which you may, or may not, be willing to pay. But it is always up to you. No matter how hard they try, you will always have the power to say no.”
I gasped as an image formed before my eyes.
The small village of Rjivae flashed into my vision. I saw myself standing in a courtyard crying. Then, Rjivae was replaced by a picture of me, standing with a long onyx sword. I gasped as a man stepped into the vision, shrouded in black. His mouth moved and I heard his words.
“Want to learn forgotten magic? Kill me and I will teach you,” the man challenged.
Then, the intense vision faded away, leaving me to stare at the dying fire.

I sat in the wooden chair right outside the small house, in a circle with Asha and the others. Holding my bowl of fruit and meat, I poked the fruit with my fork. Sighing I remembered what had happened in the hut. Maybe it is time for me to move on from here. Maybe I need to leave for good. I played with my food for a few more moments. I popped a bright green fruit into my mouth. The tangy, sour taste exploded on my tongue. I should journey to Rjivae. Alone. I don't belong here anymore. Asha and Okra and the others don't need me.
I set my bowl on my lap as I finished chewing the green fruit. Laying my fork in it I cleared my throat. Gaendir turned to me, stopping his conversation with Caddric. Asha arched her eyebrows. Okra and Atturis stopped arguing for a moment and watched me.
“I'm leaving,”
“What?” Gaendir asked, surprised. Asha leaned over and set her hand on my shoulder. I looked at her, waiting to know if she is going to talk.
“Is it because of what I said yesterday?” she asked, worried.
“No!” I exclaimed, “No, of course not. I went to the gardens to pray to Udara. She gave me a vision and I need to listen to her. Need to go where she showed me.”
“”Why? What did she show you?” Gaendir asked, suddenly...ravenous to know more.
“Um, you cant know. I need to go alone. It is a journey meant for me and no one else,” I whispered, starting to realize how my leaving might affect all of them. But, I need to find a teacher for my magic. And the first place to look should be Rjivae. I glanced at everyone in turn.
“I am so sorry if I am hurting any of you,” I sighed.
“I surely wont miss you!” Caddric teased.
I stood quickly. “This isn't a joke! Stop playing around! I'm leaving, whether you'll miss me or not!” I yelled at him. He fell silent as I stared at him. His blue eyes seemed to shine like the sky. Sadness and...confusion littered those eyes. He has always teased me, like a sister. That is what I am to him, to all of them. A sister. And this is like a betrayal. But, I need to. I need to leave, it is for the greater good. I turned away first, not able to handle the sudden realization.
“I'm sorry,” I said, not sure if it was meant for Caddric or for the others or for myself. I turned and went into the dressing room to pack for my long journey.
A few moments later, I heard the door open and someone walk in. I turned around as Gaendir began to speak.
“Why are you leaving? What is your reason? You are off, I can tell,” he asked me soothingly. Warmth began to fill my body and mind. I sighed in pleasure as the sudden tranquility made my heart swell. I shook my head.
“Your magic doesn't work on me Gaendir. Its too weak. I am leaving because of what Udara showed me. And told me. That's that,” I replied harshly. I have to be harsh, right?
He frowned. Coming close to me he tried to put his hands on my shoulders but I moved away. If he touched me, he would be able to sense the truth of where I am leaving to, Rjivae.
“Did she show you a man clad in black? Or an onyx sword?”he pushed.
I caught myself before I gasped and gave my vision away. How does he know? How could he have possibly... Better of me not to give it away. I cannot hint where I may be going. If I did...I would never be able to leave. He would keep me here.
“No, no man in black or any sword,” I lied. I watched him, keeping my face as even as I could. Suddenly, a mixture of doubt, worry, and suspicion passed through his eyes. I felt the tingle of him trying to read my thoughts. Come on, don't sense my lie, please! As soon as the look had come to his face, it washed away. His bearded face housed a look of weariness and exhaustion from trying just that one tiny spell.
My mind silently laughed and I told it to shut up. Gaendir is an old magician. His mind is foggy and unpracticed. It isn't his fault. Turning, he left the room and I went back to packing.

I stole away in the middle of the night.
I took my bag filled with clothing and food and ran. Past the houses of the town. Past the stables and the brewery, the inn and the small tavern. I ran through the eerily silent night, magic at the ready in case anything happened. As I neared the tall, stone wall, I paused and glanced back towards the market. Is it right to do this? Leave in the night, letting them say no goodbyes? Yes, it would be more painful to stay until morning. I nodded slightly to myself, then moved onward.
The wall loomed above me. I looked left and right, and then darted to the left towards the closest door. A moment after I knocked, a red haired girl came to the door. Her hand flew to her mouth as her eyes met mine.
“Kala?” she asked hesitantly.
“Yea, listen Tilla, I know its been a long time since we have seen each other. I'm sorry for that, but I need your help. I need you to lead me to your secret door.”
“Why? You remember where it is...don't you?” she whispered, careful to not to talk loud.
“Um...no. I don't, actually,” I said, looking to the ground.
Tilla sighed and disappeared back into her house. I heard her shuffling around. When she appeared back at the door she held a tiny, rusted key in her hand. I threw my arms around her and grinned.
“You're the best Tilla,” I thanked.
“Don't think this means I forgive you,” she laughed.
I followed her to a large cluster of boulders. The wall above us here is broken, cracked with half missing, but still too tall for anyone to climb. The boulders on the ground before us are the remains of the crumbled wall. Tilla walked behind a small boulder and lifted a mat of moss off the rock. Hidden behind the moss, there sat a tiny keyhole. Tilla stuck her rusted key in and twisted it. I smiled as she removed the key and I helped her push the stone inward.
Below us lay a small, skinny hole, complete with a ladder and a torch ready to be lit. Reaching down, Tilla grabbed the torch and whispered something, creating a soft glow around the tip of the torch. I gasped.
“I forgot you were born as a magic user!” I whispered in awe.
She smiled. “You forgot? Well, that makes me real confident that you truly are sorry for what you did,” she sarcastically stated.
We stood in silence for a moment. I itched my right elbow.
“You know, I didn't mean to rat out to your parents that you and me were always leaving the city walls. Trust me, I loved being a rebel, escaping this cursed wall and discovering the world beyond,” I whispered in sadness.
Tilla arched an eyebrow. “Kala, we never even adventured ten feet past the secret door, remember?”
“Yeah, you always thought we would get caught or forget where the door was,” I laughed.
I thought she would begin to laugh too until she leaned forward and hugged me. I felt tears fall from her eyes. Her arms held onto me tightly. As I got over my shock, I rubbed her back. Her red hair fell over my fingers.
“Why are you crying?” I asked her. I already know why.
“I will never forget you, Kala. You were...are the best friend I've ever had,” she cried quietly, looking at me.
“How do you know I am not coming back?” I asked.
“My mom stopped having dreams of you. She said you will never come back,” Tilla sniffed.
“I might not come back. I won't know until the time comes.”
“Do me a favor?” she asked.
“What do you want?” I replied.
“Don't go looking for a man named Farrier. My mom told me what he does to you. Just...don't go looking for him. Promise me.”
“I...I promise,” I said hesitantly
Then, she smiled and handed me the torch. Wiping her eyes, I said goodbye and thank you. As I worked my way down onto the ladder I heard her close the door, covering me with darkness. The only light is the torch I held in my left hand. I made my way down the ladder and into the damp underground hallway. At the opposite end, a pair of small stairs led upwards.
I opened the door at the top of the stairs and poked my head out, noticing sudden cold. I sighed and pulled myself and my pack out from the hole. Closing the entrance to the secret hallway, I began my long journey.
I walked towards the unexpected, the feared.
And I left this life behind.
When all you have is nothing, there is alot to go around.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:46 am
fairygirl says...

Hiya!
I REALLY liked this story! :) you did a fantastic job. I'm not even going to try to think that I saw any grammatical errors cuz I couldn't see one if it slapped me in the face. But you probably don't have any. So don't worry! This is a fantastic story and I want to read more! You have some really good characters! PM me if you post another chapter!!!
peace!
~*~fairygirl~*~
“"Up is down"? Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful.”
~Jack Sparrow, At Worlds End

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 pm
eldEr says...

Comments, corrections suggestions in red...but you knew that ;)

emmylou1995 wrote:Chapter One

The small room is filled with many clothes, costumes, hats, and jewelry. In one corner sits a bureau with make-up scattered on it. Different sized shoes littered the floor along with hundreds of hair clips. To the left is a large elegant mirror with golden swirls carved into it and to the right stands a small oak door. Overhead, a small white light clings to the ceiling.
I stepped carefully across the floor to where the tall dresser stood. Thoughtfully, I chose an outfit, complete with a sultry and shimmering golden half shirt with short brown sleeves, golden beaded accents and an attached veil, and a matching gold and brown skirt. That was a lot of ands! Is there any other words you could use? I completely covered my right arm in golden bangles and my feet in golden sandals. Then, I transformed my simple face into a dazzling beauty by adding gold dust above my eyes, a slight tint of pink to my cheeks, and shiny golden lip gloss to my small lips. I sprinkled golden dust in my long brown hair, giving it the ability to shine immensely in the sun.
I glanced at myself in the tall, elegant mirror.
“Missing something...” I whispered, raising an eyebrow and frowning as I glanced over my golden outfit. My frown disappeared as my eyes caught sight of the tattoos.
The thin black swirls cover my face from my right forehead to my neck This makes it sound like she has 2 foreheads... 'from the right of my forehead,' may be a better choice of words ;). They also showed on my shoulder, thighs, and feet, though not as noticeable as the ones on my face. I traced the beautiful black lines with my index finger. These tattoo's offer the knowledge to those around me that magic is alive in me. That my soul burns with the energy of the forgotten magic. Old, ancient magic from the beginnings of Ronaria. Magic that almost no soul can attempt unless they are born with these black markings.
Even so, I cannot, and will not, attempt the old magic until I find a teacher. Because unless I am taught the rules of old magic, there could be drastically tragic outcomes of any use of it. Instead, I use my magic basics, which, because I am a sorceress of the old magic, I am more powerful at than others. Just a tad bit.
Biting my lip as I prepared to leave the room and preform my dance, the door opened behind me and Asha walked in. Her outfit of a short tan skirt and a light blue shirt is simple. Most of the time, other than when I am dancing, I wear even simpler clothes than that. Sometimes a plain green dress with nothing else, not even shoes.
Asha raised her eyebrows at me and smiled.
“You are beautiful, Kala. I am jealous.” Asha smiled. She came up to me and fixed my shirt a little bit. She grabbed my comb and began to brush my long brown hair.
“You know Kala, what you can do is amazing. You should see the look on those peoples faces when you dance. You entrance them,” she murmured to me.
“I know, Asha. I know,” I whispered, looking to the ground. I curled my fingers and sighed. My talent to dance is what I live for. It is the one thing I have true passion in. Well, one of the things.
“You could take it a step further,” Asha suddenly proposed.
“What?” I asked, confused and suspicious.
“I know you have the power to draw more people to us. Why don't you? We could earn so much more money. Buy new clothes, a new stage, new...”she rambled, stopping combing my hair.
“No!” I said coldly, my eyes becoming slits. I spun around to face her. Asha dropped the comb and took a step backwards. “Never will I use my power to get money! How can you think like that?! Its selfish and..and...wrong!”
I practically stabbed my ears with long golden earrings and stormed out the door. Asha watched me go, dumbfounded.
I headed towards the stage, set up a few feet from the costume room. How can she think like that? Lure people in and steal their money? No. I dance not to get money but because I love to dance. How dare Asha say that! And she knows I would react this way too!
Steaming mad, I flung myself through the black curtain of the stage. The small crowd of people stared up at me, waiting, expecting. Their eyes penetrated my golden clothing and bright green eyes. To my left I caught sight of Gaendir, the man who began this...group that I belong to. He took in Asha when she was still a small orphaned servant, and raised her as his own. He allowed Caddric, a dying wanderer, to join him and Asha. Then, he invited Atturis and Okra, escaped guild hall twins, and I, the orphaned lords child, to join. And now, we have our own little group.
But it is not where I belong.
Hearing Atturis shuffle around behind the curtain I prepared myself. I closed my eyes as his music began. The soft and exotic strumming calmed me down, creating an endless flow of peace throughout my body.
Imagining my mother's voice, I began to dance.

Later in the evening, I sat outside the small house a few feet from the costume room and stage. Laying back on the trunk of a tree, my distressed eyes wandered up to the two moons in the night sky. The southern one is always slightly larger than the northern one. I always enjoy watching the southern one more, it has a beautiful blue glow about it. The tiny sparkling stars made me smile sadly. I plan to leave them. Gaendir and Asha and the twins. I plan to go away, I just don't know where to. I don't belong here, and I hope they understand. I mean, Gaendir is like a father to me. I realize that he saved me from starvation and loneliness after my mother was taken but...but I just can't live here any more. It is not what I want or need. I need a teacher to teach me the forgotten magic.
I shivered, the cold night air weaving through my brown locks. I wrapped my green shawl tighter around my shoulders.
“Kala?” a voice called from behind me.
I jumped, frightened by the sudden noise. Glancing behind me, I watched Okra make her way over to me. She stood and leaned against the tree I sat beneath.
“How do you do it?” she asked.
“Do what?” I questioned, raising my eyebrows in curiosity. My brown hair fell into my eyes and I pushed it away.
“That dancing. How do you do it? I mean, I swear, this is the first time that I watched your whole dance and...and...” she stuttered.
“And what?” I asked.
“And you were like a bird. Well, what I imagine a bird is like. You danced like a..a sorceress. A stunning, golden sorceress. I mean, I know you are a sorceress, but...but you just looked more elegant and...mysterious, in a way,” she stuttered, awe creeping into her soft, low voice.
“I don't know. I just...dance,” I whispered, my eyes wandering towards the dark outline of the stage. I do just dance. It is just part of who I am.
“You truly are a sorceress, huh?” she humphed.
“Not yet,” I sighed, staring once more at the large southern moon, “Not until I am taught the forgotten magic.”

I walked down the tight path of dirt early the next morning.
The dirt path leads to a very spiritual and powerful place called Risa, a garden-like meadow where it is said the goddess Udara dwells. Most people in the city of Zosa, the city in which I live, come here to either pray, worship, or ask for guidance from Udara.
On either side of me, tall green trees filled with fruit rose to the skies. Around my feet, tiny orange balls of fur rolled, common animals called fur-gins. I picked one up and it squirmed in my hand. Lifting away the orange fur I uncovered its face, the large black eyes and the cute red nose. The fur-gin shivered and smiled at me with his tiny mouth, teeth less, then he jumped back to the ground. I laughed, and kept on walking, careful not to squish them with my feet.I liked that! I love it when new creatures are created! :)
Soon, I came to the clearing where Udara is said to dwell. All around me stood the same trees as on the path, but much more dense. The soft grass is teeming with fur-gins and thousands of tiny red flowers. Somewhere in between a rose and a dragon lily. But, the most beautiful thing in the clearing has to be the tiny hut sitting on the grass a few feet ahead. Rich green vines wrapped around the wood of the door. The roof is covered in green and brown leaves from past days. A slight glow seemed to emit from the doorway of the hut.
I gulped as I walked up to the hut and pushed aside the door, walking inside.
The tiny room is dark except for one candle on the opposite wall. It illuminated a box of fire starters and a fire pit to one side of the room. I took a stick and began a fire listened to it crackle as it became alive and lit the hut. I sat down, cross legged, before the fire and closed my eyes. The sound of the fire filled my ears. I breathed in and out very, very slowly in order to calm myself. Then, I prayed to my goddess.
“To my holy deity. I pray for wisdom, for guidance and knowledge. I ask for help through difficult times and hardships. I pray for you to speak to me. To tell me what to do, where to go. I do not belong with the people I am with now. But I belong with you. My passion is to dance. I long for fighting, for the ability to defend myself and my people from the Sages. And to fight I need a teacher to teach me the forgotten magic. But most of all, I need someone by my side, who I can trust and love, forever. I...”
I fell silent, listening for Udara's voice once more. I prayed she would speak again.
“Something grand awaits you. You must learn patience and gain much knowledge of the forgotten magic. You need to prepare for great and terrible things. But...”
I gulped.
“All good comes with a price,” Udara's voice whispered, “Which you may, or may not, be willing to pay. But it is always up to you. No matter how hard they try, you will always have the power to say no.”
I gasped as an image formed before my eyes.
The small village of Rjivae flashed into my vision. I saw myself standing in a courtyard crying. Then, Rjivae was replaced by a picture of me, standing with a long onyx sword. I gasped as a man stepped into the vision, shrouded in black. His mouth moved and I heard his words.
“Want to learn forgotten magic? Kill me and I will teach you,” the man challenged.
Then, the intense vision faded away, leaving me to stare at the dying fire.

I sat in the wooden chair right outside the small house, in a circle with Asha and the others. Holding my bowl of fruit and meat, I poked the fruit with my fork. Sighing, I remembered what had happened in the hut. Maybe it is time for me to move on from here. Maybe I need to leave for good. I played with my food for a few more moments. I popped a bright green fruit into my mouth. The tangy, sour taste exploded on my tongue. I should journey to Rjivae. Alone. I don't belong here anymore. Asha and Okra and the others don't need me.
I set my bowl on my lap as I finished chewing the green fruit. Laying my fork in it I cleared my throat. Gaendir turned to me, stopping his conversation with Caddric. Asha arched her eyebrows. Okra and Atturis stopped arguing for a moment and watched me.
“I'm leaving,”
“What?” Gaendir asked, surprised. Asha leaned over and set her hand on my shoulder. I looked at her, waiting to know if she is going to talk.
“Is it because of what I said yesterday?” she asked, worried.
“No!” I exclaimed, “No, of course not. I went to the gardens to pray to Udara. She gave me a vision and I need to listen to her. Need to go where she showed me.”
“”Why? What did she show you?” Gaendir asked, suddenly...ravenous to know more.
“Um, you cant know. I need to go alone. It is a journey meant for me and no one else,” I whispered, starting to realize how my leaving might affect all of them. But, I need to find a teacher for my magic. And the first place to look should be Rjivae. I glanced at everyone in turn.
“I am so sorry if I am hurting any of you,” I sighed. This needs to be in the same paragraph as above.
“I surely won't miss you!” Caddric teased.
I stood quickly. “This isn't a joke! Stop playing around! I'm leaving, whether you'll miss me or not!” I yelled at him. He fell silent as I stared at him. His blue eyes seemed to shine like the sky. Sadness and... those ...'s are uneccesary here.confusion littered those eyes. He has always teased me, like a sister. That is what I am to him, to all of them. A sister. And this is like a betrayal. But, I need to. I need to leave, it is for the greater good. I turned away first, not able to handle the sudden realization.
“I'm sorry,” I said, not sure if it was meant for Caddric or for the others or for myself. I turned and went into the dressing room to pack for my long journey.
A few moments later, I heard the door open and someone walk in. I turned around as Gaendir began to speak.
“Why are you leaving? What is your reason? You are off, I can tell,” he asked me soothingly. Warmth began to fill my body and mind. I sighed in pleasure as the sudden tranquility made my heart swell. I shook my head.
“Your magic doesn't work on me Gaendir. Its too weak. I am leaving because of what Udara showed me. and told me. That's that,” I replied harshly. I have to be harsh, right?
He frowned. Coming close to me he tried to put his hands on my shoulders but I moved away. If he touched me, he would be able to sense the truth of where I am leaving to, Rjivae.
“Did she show you a man clad in black? Or an onyx sword?”he pushed.
I caught myself before I gasped and gave my vision away. How does he know? How could he have possibly... Better of me not to give it away. I cannot hint where I may be going. If I did...I would never be able to leave. He would keep me here.
“No, no man in black or any sword,” I lied. I watched him, keeping my face as even as I could. Suddenly, a mixture of doubt, worry, and suspicion passed through his eyes. I felt the tingle of him trying to read my thoughts. Come on, don't sense my lie, please! As soon as the look had come to his face, it washed away. His bearded face housed a look of weariness and exhaustion from trying just that one tiny spell.
My mind silently laughed and I told it to shut up. Gaendir is an old magician. His mind is foggy and unpracticed. It isn't his fault. Turning, he left the room and I went back to packing.

I stole away in the middle of the night.
I took my bag filled with clothing and food and ran. Past the houses of the town., pPast the stables and the brewery, the inn and the small tavern. I ran through the eerily silent night, magic at the ready in case anything happened. As I neared the tall, stone wall, I paused and glanced back towards the market. Is it right to do this? Leave in the night, letting them say no goodbyes? Yes, it would be more painful to stay until morning. I nodded slightly to myself, then moved onward.
The wall loomed above me. I looked left and right, and then darted to the left towards the closest door. A moment after I knocked, a red haired girl came to the door. Her hand flew to her mouth as her eyes met mine.
“Kala?” she asked hesitantly.
“Yea, listen Tilla, I know its been a long time since we have seen each other. I'm sorry for that, but I need your help. I need you to lead me to your secret door.”
“Why? You remember where it is...don't you?” she whispered, careful to not to talk loud.
“Um...no. I don't, actually,” I said, looking to the ground.
Tilla sighed and disappeared back into her house. I heard her shuffling around. When she appeared back at the door she held a tiny, rusted key in her hand. I threw my arms around her and grinned.
“You're the best Tilla,” I thanked.
“Don't think this means I forgive you,” she laughed.
I followed her to a large cluster of boulders. The wall above us here is broken, cracked with half missing, but still too tall for anyone to climb. The boulders on the ground before us are the remains of the crumbled wall. Tilla walked behind a small boulder and lifted a mat of moss off the rock. Hidden behind the moss, there sat a tiny keyhole. Tilla stuck her rusted key in and twisted it. I smiled as she removed the key and I helped her push the stone inward.
Below us lay a small, skinny hole, complete with a ladder and a torch ready to be lit. Reaching down, Tilla grabbed the torch and whispered something, creating a soft glow around the tip of the torch. I gasped.
“I forgot you were born as a magic user!” I whispered in awe.
She smiled. “You forgot? Well, that makes me real confident that you truly are sorry for what you did,” she sarcastically stated.
We stood in silence for a moment. I itched my right elbow.
“You know, I didn't mean to rat out to your parents that you and me were always leaving the city walls. Trust me, I loved being a rebel, escaping this cursed wall and discovering the world beyond,” I whispered in sadness.
Tilla arched an eyebrow. “Kala, we never even adventured ten feet past the secret door, remember?”
“Yeah, you always thought we would get caught or forget where the door was,” I laughed.
I thought she would begin to laugh too until she leaned forward and hugged me. I felt tears fall from her eyes. Her arms held onto me tightly. As I got over my shock, I rubbed her back. Her red hair fell over my fingers.
“Why are you crying?” I asked her. I already know why.
“I will never forget you, Kala. You were...are the best friend I've ever had,” she cried quietly, looking at me.
“How do you know I am not coming back?” I asked.
“My mom stopped having dreams of you. She said you will never come back,” Tilla sniffed.
“I might not come back. I won't know until the time comes.”
“Do me a favor?” she asked.
“What do you want?” I replied.
“Don't go looking for a man named Farrier. My mom told me what he does to you. Just...don't go looking for him. Promise me.”
“I...I promise,” I said hesitantly
Then, she smiled and handed me the torch. Wiping her eyes, I said goodbye and thank you. As I worked my way down onto the ladder I heard her close the door, covering me with darkness. The only light is the torch I held in my left hand. I made my way down the ladder and into the damp underground hallway. At the opposite end, a pair of small stairs led upwards.
I opened the door at the top of the stairs and poked my head out, noticing sudden cold. I sighed and pulled myself and my pack out from the hole. Closing the entrance to the secret hallway, I began my long journey.
I walked towards the unexpected, the feared.
And I left this life behind.

It's very suspenceful and well-written. If I could say one thing to you, it would be to not use so many of those ...'s. They're in nearly every paragraph. You could replace them with a ; or a - is you like.
Well done overall, though!
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

113 Reviews

Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 pm
emmylou1995 says...

Thanks!

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 pm
Evi says...

It's me again!

I stepped carefully across the floor to where the tall dresser stood.

Tense issues, again. Watch for these! You fluctuate between present and past the whole time.

Also, you never complete the "missing something" thought...what was missing? She notices her tattoos, but doesn't add anything to her outfit.

Why does Kala want so badly to learn the magic? Does she feel incomplete without is? Is it something her mother would've wanted her to learn? Does she want to do it to save her mother, be a better dancer, what? If you put an incentive behind the desire, it becomes more real to the readers and we can root her on.

Is Kala not surprised that her goddess is speaking to her? Or is that a fairly regular occurrence? Is she used to being a chosen one of the gods? We need a bit more reaction from Kala hear to understand her relationship with Udera.

:arrow: As a whole, this installment is better written than the first. You have more plot and less raw interjections. One thing you need to do is add spaces between your paragraphs, though-- Nate changed the formatting, I know, so it's not your fault, but it's very distracting ot have everything smooshed together like this.

Other than that, I feel like this is moving a bit too quickly. The dance troupe is a major part of what has consisted of Kala's life for the past...well, we don't know how long, but a while. I'd suggest writing another scene there before she leaves. Add to the characters there before she goes to make her prayer-- or maybe Udera doesn't answer her the first time. Maybe she doesn't leave immediately. Whatever it is, major decisions like this require a bit more thought than this, and Kala just up and leaves without much reaction or indecision at all.

Don't be afraid to slow down. ;) You can explain her relationship with Tilla a bit better too. We need to get to know this character just a tiny bit before you throw her into her quest headfirst.

Hope this helps, and PM me for anything!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:17 pm
RayquazaKid says...

Again, excellent work. I didn't see any mistakes in this chapter per say...

However, you seem to have a problem with tenses. When you do a paragraph describing places and things, you switch to present tense. From what I see, this story is a past-tense story, and so using present tense to describe things isn't a good idea. Just go through and look at any descriptive paragraph, and then compare it to a dialogue or action paragraph. Theres a big difference in how they are worded.

Story-wise, it's fantastic. From the dancing to meeting a goddess, boy a lot happens in this chapter. I like it. :)

[quote]“Want to learn forgotten magic? Kill me and I will teach you,” the man challenged. p/quote] My favorite line. I mean, how often can a guy say this? I know it's a vision but...

Excellent work mate :)
Call me RK :)

113 Reviews

Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:10 pm
emmylou1995 says...

Thanks RK! I love that sentance too.
I am changing it all to present tense, with a little help.

The most important thing is to have fun! Stress makes for distress and neither of those belong in writing!
— Kaia