z

Young Writers Society

Jump *edited*

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:54 pm
ToritheMonster says...

So this is a story I wrote for a contest. It had to be no more than four pages, so sorry if some parts are info dumps. I had to have them there. Thanks, and review away! I'd also really appreciate suggestions on the last sentence.
-------

“Jump,” said a voice from behind him.
The boy turned.
“Excuse me?” he asked, slightly confused. Obviously this man couldn’t really want him to jump off this huge building.
“You heard me. Jump. Jump off.”
The boy smiled uncertainly. Surely, the man was trying to be funny.
“Well,” he said in a light tone, “typically those who jump off buildings die.” He gestured to the busy street hundreds of feet below. Inside, he was beginning to get annoyed. He had only come up for some fresh air, and a wisecracker had come and ruined his peace. He took a closer look at the man. Tall, well muscled. He looked quite professional, in a black suit with a shock of dark brown hair. The midday sun glinted off his reflective shades. He didn’t look like the wisecracking type.
“I believe you misunderstood me. Jump off this building, before I do something drastic.”
The boy sprinted for the door that led inside. His hand closed around the handle, but he was too late. A sharp pain in his back blossomed, and he blacked out. The last thing that he saw was the man’s tranquilizer gun.
The boy’s eyes fluttered open, only to shut themselves again. A bright light shone on his face. “Where…am…I?” he mumbled.
A girl’s voice answered him. “The JCTG. Juvie for freaks,” she said.
Shielding his eyes, the boy sat up. The girl appeared to be around his age-- about 13 he guessed. She was rather petite, with long brown hair.
“W-what?”
“You’re a bit slow, aren’t you? This is a juvenile center to freaks like you and me and the other kids behind you. But they call us ‘telekinetically gifted,” she said.
Turning around, the boy saw several other kids on bunks similar to the one he realized he was on. Most of them were asleep.
“Me? I’m not…” he started.
“Not what? Telekinetic? They’re never wrong. You probably don’t remember much, anyway, do you? They told you to do something weird, right? Like jumping off a building or opening a locked door when you had no key. If you did it, your powers would have kicked in and you would have saved yourself or opened the door. If you didn’t, they shot you with a tranquilizer. Now you’re here to get them money. My name’s Susan, by the way. You probably don’t remember anything, do you? The tranquilizer they shot you with had an amnesia inducing serum in it.”
Susan was a talker, the boy remarked in his head. But she was right. He didn’t remember anything besides a sharp pain in his lower back.
“Who am I?” he asked.
“Like I’m supposed to know? They’ll tell you soon. They know you’re awake by now,” she said, gesturing to a security camera in the corner of the room “By the way, don’t bother trying to escape. Everything here’s lined with lead. It’s the one substance our powers don’t effect,”
Soon, a bald man in a black suit came in and stood beside the boy’s bed.
“Hello. Your name is Mark. As Susan has explained to you, you’re in the JCTG. Please, both of you come with me now.”
Several men in suits hustled Susan and Mark into a black van.
“You’ll be taking exactly one million dollars from Liberty National Bank. No more, no less.” The one who seemed to be in charge said. Susan nodded grimly.
“If you attempt an escape, you will get nowhere. Agents will be posted at all exits, wearing lead-toed shoes and shirt cuffs. This car is also faster than you will ever be. And when you are caught, you will be put in isolation.” Mark saw Susan shudder.
Eventually, the car pulled up outside a large, fancy-looking bank. The men handed them both backpacks, and they stepped up the marble stairs into a spacious lobby. Susan leaned next to Mark’s ear.
“Mark. You see that exit over there?” she said, gesturing towards one on the opposite side of the lobby. A man in a black suit stood just inside of it, watching them. Mark nodded. “See that sprinkler above his head?” She whispered. Mark looked up and nodded.
“I’m going to make it go off. Then, when the man moves, slip out as quickly and quietly as possible. Run as far as you can, then find someone with a cell phone and call the police. I’ll follow.” She whispered.“Start walking over there. Now.”
Mark did as she told. As he got closer, Susan twisted the sprinkler with her mind. It turned and started spraying. The man under it yelped and ran out of its path, and Mark broke into a run. The man noticed him just too late. Mark was out the door. He was about to give chase when Susan ran over. He eyed her as she began to run. She knew she couldn’t make it, but she sprinted faster than she had ever gone before. People were staring, but there was nothing she could do. The red exit sign was getting nearer, but so was the man. Faster, faster... He grabbed her wrist just as she reached the door. A few other men in suits were coming towards him to help, but he waved them off.
“So sorry, folks. This is my daughter. She has some problems.” He said, walking her towards the main exit. Susan opened her mouth to speak, but he twisted her wrist painfully. She said nothing as she was led to the car. A few people looked suspicious, but most were more concerned with the sprinkler getting them wet. Susan found herself shoved violently into the backseat.
“Where’s the boy?” asked one of them angrily. “Where did you tell him to go?”
Susan bit her lip. The man put a gun to her head. “Where is…” he trailed off as someone tapped on his window. He put the gun in his jacket and rolled the window down.
“Well, hello officer. How may I help you?” he asked, his voice sickeningly false. The officer looked into the back of the car.
“We’ve just received a report of child abduction, sir. And unless you can explain that girl in the back of your car and those lumps you and your friends have under your jackets, you are all under arrest.” She said.
Susan looked out of her window to see Mark waving from the backseat of a police cruiser.
Everything was going to be all right.
Last edited by ToritheMonster on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

Reviews: 4
Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:08 pm
Nibroc says...

A very interesting storyline - I have to say, it definitely has potential. Not that it's incredibly original in itself, but you could do something with it.

My main concern with your story is that you don't really get to know the MCs. I just didn't feel attached to the characters at all: what's going on in their heads? I suggest spending a bit more time building up your story, maybe fleshing it out a bit. That would also fix your infodump problem.

As it is, the story is okay. Not terrible (not by a long shot!), but not especially good, either. I enjoyed it, but I have a very vivid imagination. Others might not.

If you ever do redo the story, just send me a PM and I'd be more than willing to give it another, maybe more complete, review.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Nibroc

Random avatar

Reviews: 136
Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:35 pm
fiction903 says...

I think your story is pretty good.I do have a couple of suggestions though
He gestured to the busy street hundreds of feet below. Inside, he was beginning to get annoyed. He had only come up for some fresh air, and a wisecracker had to come and ruin his peace. He took a closer look at the man.
This part was confusing to me at first because I could not tell if you were speaking from the mans perspective of the boys perspective.Also I think the expression "Wisecracker"should be written as wise-cracker.
Assaulting a government officer here results in a death penalty
I think it would be better if you said "results in the death penalty".
Lastly, I think that you should have a more concrete ending to the story instead of having a guy standing there with a gun saying "Where do you think you are going?" I think it ends abruptly. Hopefully my review helps.Fiction

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:56 pm
Mochi says...

I like it! I really do! I'm a fan of these types of stories. But you have some grammar mistakes.

“Jump” said a voice from behind him.

There should be a comma after jump and before the quotation mark. Like this: "Jump," said a voice from behind him.

“Excuse me?” He asked, slightly confused.

Okay, key thing to remember with dialogue: if the statement inside quotation mark isn't finished use a comma and keep the next word lowercase. If it's a question or an exclamation, lowercase it anyways. If the statement is finished, there's no need for a dialogue tag. You make this mistake often, but it doesn't really take away from the piece.

[...] If you didn’t, they shot you with a tranquilizer.” She asked.”My name’s Susan, by the way.

I don't exactly see a need to have "She asked" put there. I would take that out.

I like the plot. The ending is also a good cliffhanger, but be careful, sometimes cliffhangers don't really work with you. I would suggest putting in more detail and more emotions and thoughts of the characters, but overall it's very well written.

PM me if you have any comments. ^^
Vous trouvez l'océan trop clair, trop noir, trop bleu ;
Vous détestez le ciel parce qu'il montre Dieu ;
-Victor Hugo «À ceux qui sont petits»

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:15 pm
Elinor says...

Hey Dreamy.

I didn't enjoy this. It felt distant and choppy, like you had a bunch of random ideas and/or visions and decided to incorporate them into a story. The transitions between Mark and Susan were so abrupt that they seemed forced.

So, let's take a look at your beginning. The boy, Mark, is on top of the building, and the mysterious man is telling him to jump. That's a creative premise, so it's bound to turn out good, right? Well, no. It's killed by confusing dialogue and an attempt at humor. I'm willing to think that the person telling him to jump off wants him killed, yet Mark treats it like a joke with one of his friends. Make him seem scared. Have him question why. If you weren't planning on revealing it later, do so now.

Susan feels like a cardboard cutout to me. She's not interesting and just seems to be there to disperse certain information. Also, I can't tell who the main character is supposed to be. Mark seems like he should be more important, but we spend more time in Susan's perspective.

The Telekinetic thing also seems really random. Usually in urban fantasies like this, we get some sort of foreshadowing of the hero's powers. Here, we get none.

This needs work, but if you polish it, I think you can take it somewhere.

PM me if you have any questions!

-Elinor xo

EDIT: In the future, don't put "Please Review" or "Please Edit" in the title of your stories. It draws away reviewers because it makes you seem annoying. If you post another story with PLEASE REVIEW, don't expect me to review it. ;)
Last edited by Elinor on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

351 Reviews

Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:18 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Thanks!

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 am
whatevr says...

This is quite familiar, except for the second part. I swear I read this before, without the bank part. This is really good.

One thing, Susan pretty much explains the whole thing when she speaks, it kind of takes away the suspense. Other than that there is nothing I can find to nit pick about.

One last thing. I have a challenge ;) Try writing this in 1st person, present tense. Or try just writing it in 1st person, see if it sounds better like that.

Thats all for now.
Kudos
Biffle socks :)
Literally whatevr

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:44 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hi dreamy115. I am here a bit late but at last here. :D
Here are the nitpicks first.
“Well,” he said in a light tone, “typically(not needed seriously) those who jump off buildings die.”

He had only come up for some fresh air,and but a wisecracker had come and ruined his peace.

The girl appeared to be around his age-- about 13, he guessed.

Susan was an avid talker, the boy remarked in his head.

“If you attempt an escape, you will get nowhere. Agents will be are posted at all exits, wearing lead-toed shoes and shirt cuffs( swap the words) This The car is also faster than you will ever be. And when you are caught, you will be put in isolation.” Mark saw Susan shudder.

Okay there's no error in this sentence but please describe more. How the men looked? The type of suits they wear, their glasses or anything which is different from those other suited men.

Again explain this line. What type of van if you wanna mention, how they bring Susan and Mike out..all that stuff.

She knew she couldn’t make it, but she sprinted faster than she had ever gone done before.

She said nothing as she was led to the car.

She could say nothing as she was being led to the car.
The above sentence makes much sense now.

Your concept was nice and could have been transformed into a nice read had this not been a short story quest. I know there was word limit so you couldn't explain much but if at all in future you decide to expand it please explain more and let me feel their pain and condition. Now I couldn't relate with them or feel like them but just read this as a bland story. PM me for any questions.
Hope I helpred!
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

Random avatar

Reviews: 26
Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:24 am
L5na2 says...

I really liked the idea of the whole thing and was very intrigued but you need to go a little more in depth, how did these men come to know of this secret power? And I suggest that you develop Susan and Mark's relationship so it is understandable as to why she sent him to get help

Random avatar

Reviews: 26
Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:25 am
L5na2 says...

I really liked the idea of the whole thing and was very intrigued but you need to go a little more in depth, how did these men come to know of this secret power? And I suggest that you develop Susan and Mark's relationship so it is understandable as to why she sent him to get help

351 Reviews

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:59 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Thanks for the reviews, everyone!

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:23 am
VioletJune says...

It was OK, and I liked it, but it felt like a kid wrote it, like you didn't know how to explain everything in the write way.
These lies are leading me astray, it's too much for me to stay. I don't wanna live this destiny, it goes on endlessly. I see you so please stay strong, I'll sing you one last song and then I'm gone. I don't wanna live this destiny, it goes on endlessly.

This love this Hate- Hollywood Undead

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:26 am
Octave says...

Comments in red.

Dreamy115 wrote:So this is a story I wrote for a contest. It had to be no more than four pages, so sorry if some parts are info dumps. I had to have them there. Thanks, and review away! I'd also really appreciate suggestions on the last sentence.
-------

The boy turned.
“Excuse me?” he asked, slightly confused. Obviously this man couldn’t really want him to jump off this huge building. So he's on the ledge? I mean, if he weren't he wouldn't think the guy was asking him to jump off the building. He'd think the guy was just asking to jump up.
“Well,” he said in a light tone, “typically those who jump off buildings die.” He gestured to the busy street hundreds of feet below. Inside, he was beginning to get annoyed. Show us his getting annoyed. He had only come up for some fresh air, and a wisecracker had come and ruined his peace. He took a closer look at the man. Tall, well muscled. He looked quite professional, in a black suit with a shock of dark brown hair. You don't need to look closer to see these things. In fact, these are the impressions that hit you first. So move this description up. If he takes a closer look he sees the minute things we don't really pay attention to - the small scar on the hand, etc. The midday sun glinted off his reflective shades. He didn’t look like the wisecracking type.
“I believe you misunderstood me. Jump off this building, before I do something drastic.”
Hmm...No thoughts? No, "Oh crap. What the hell? I better get out of here."?The boy sprinted for the door that led inside. His hand closed around the handle but he was too late. A sharp pain in his back blossomed and he blacked out. The last thing that he saw was the man’s tranquilizer gun.
Pause. Wouldn't he fall face-first? Not on his back? I mean it hit him on the back so he should fall face first. And so he won't see the man's tranquilizer gun.

The boy’s eyes fluttered open, only to shut themselves again. A bright light shone on his face. There's something wrong with the way these two sentences follow each other. :/ I can't tell what though. “Where…am…I?” he mumbled.
A girl’s voice answered him. I believe you can delete that sentence if you put "a girl said" instead of she said. It saves you words. ;) “The JCTG. Juvie for freaks,” she said.
Shielding his eyes, the boy sat up. The girl appeared to be around his age-- about 13 he guessed. She was rather petite with long brown hair.
“W-what?”
“You’re a bit slow, aren’t you? This is a juvenile center to freaks like you and me and the other kids behind you. But they call us ‘telekinetically gifted,” she said. Add in body language. Maybe let her shrug.
Turning around, the boy saw several other kids on bunks similar to the one he realized he was on. Most of them were asleep.
“Not what? Telekinetic? They’re never wrong. You probably don’t remember much, anyway, do you? They told you to do something weird, right? Like jumping off a building or opening a locked door when you had no key. If you did it, your powers would have kicked in and you would have saved yourself or opened the door. The locked door thing doesn't work because if that happens everytime they do it then they would have realized there was something different about them when they were younger. I mean, come on. Haven't you ever accidentally tried to open a locked door? If you didn’t, they shot you with a tranquilizer. Now you’re here to get them money. My name’s Susan, by the way. The way you move to her name is a little stilted. You might want to reserve it for a different time. You probably don’t remember anything, do you? Repetitive. The tranquilizer they shot you with had an amnesia inducing serum in it.”
Susan was a talker, the boy remarked in his head. But she was right. He didn’t remember anything besides a sharp pain in his lower back.
“Who am I?” he asked.
“Like I’m supposed to know. They’ll tell you soon. They know you’re awake by now,” she said, gesturing to a security camera in the corner of the room “By the way, don’t bother trying to escape. Again, transition. It's lacking. Everything here’s lined with lead. It’s the one substance our powers don’t effect.”
“Hello. Your name is Mark. As Susan has explained to you, you’re in the JCTG. Please, both of you come with me now.”
“You’ll be taking exactly one million dollars from Liberty National Bank. No more, no less.” The one who seemed to be in charge said. Susan nodded grimly.
“If you attempt an escape, you will get nowhere. Agents will be posted at all exits, wearing lead-toed shoes and shirt cuffs. Ha. But you forget, every other thing there won't be. They can throw other stuff that the guards, like other people, sofas, etc. This car is also faster than you will ever be. But they can throw other cars at that car. And when you are caught, you will be put in isolation.” Mark saw Susan shudder.
Eventually, the car pulled up outside a large, fancy-looking bank. The men handed them both backpacks, and they stepped up the marble stairs into a spacious lobby. Susan leaned next to Mark’s ear.
“Mark. You see that exit over there?” she said, gesturing towards one on the opposite side of the lobby. A man in a black suit stood just inside of it, watching them. Mark nodded. “See that sprinkler above his head?” She whispered. Mark looked up and nodded.
“I’m going to make it go off. Then, when the man moves, slip out as quickly and quietly as possible. Run as far as you can, then find someone with a cell phone and call the police. I’ll follow.” She whispered.“Start walking over there. Now.”
Mark did as she told. As he got closer, Susan twisted the sprinkler with her mind. It turned and started spraying. The man under it yelped and ran out of its path, I hardly doubt that. He should be trained. Maybe he'll be started and jump a little, but he ought to be trained to stay there. and Mark broke into a run. The man noticed him just too late. Mark was out the door. He was about to give chase when Susan ran over. He eyed her as she began to run. She knew she couldn’t make it, but she sprinted faster than she had ever gone before. People were staring, but there was nothing she could do. The red exit sign was getting nearer, but so was the man. Faster, faster... He grabbed her wrist just as she reached the door. A few other men in suits were coming towards him to help, but he waved them off.
“So sorry, folks. This is my daughter. She has some problems.” He said, walking her towards the main exit. Susan opened her mouth to speak, but he twisted her wrist painfully. She said nothing as she was led to the car. A few people looked suspicious, but most were more concerned with the sprinkler getting them wet. There's bound to be at least one nosy person. Susan found herself shoved violently into the backseat.
“Where’s the boy?” asked one of them angrily. “Where did you tell him to go?” Hit pause. You just shifted POV. Not good. Stick with Mark's POV or start a new chapter or a new segment. Anything to mark the change in POV.
Susan bit her lip. The man put a gun to her head. “Where is…” he trailed off as someone tapped on his window. He put the gun in his jacket and rolled the window down.
“Well, hello officer. How may I help you?” he asked, his voice sickeningly false. The officer looked into the back of the car.
“We’ve just received a report of child abduction, sir. And unless you can explain that girl in the back of your car and those lumps you and your friends have under your jackets, you are all under arrest.” She said.
Susan looked out of her window to see Mark waving from the backseat of a police cruiser.

For a short story, it's kind of smushed. You could have expanded it, and it could be longer. And this doesn't explain why Susan didn't leave earlier if it were that easy.

I liked the beginning and the idea. I don't like the end. It was too easy. Waaay too easy. And the officer would be easy to shoot. I mean, if this organization had so many goons and could kidnap so many kids, then they would be powerful enough to cover up a crime like that.

If you have any questions or arguments about the review, PM me and I'll answer gladly. :D

Sincerely,

Kara
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

351 Reviews

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:33 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Hey Kara! Thanks for the review! Yeah, this isn't my best work, and I know it's a little (okay fine. A lot) smooshed together and non-entertaining at the end. But I was almost onto five pages and I could only have four... so I ended up just sort of mashing everything in in a way that I hoped made sense. Thanks again!

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 am
Mo. says...

Hi there, Mo here to review! Sorry I've taken so long to get to this, I haven't been checking my WRFF thread often enough! Anyway, here goes:

I liked this, I think it is a good plot, and I liked the characters, however, I did feel a little confused at certain times, and detatched from the story.

The boy turned.

“Excuse me?” he asked, slightly confused. Obviously this man couldn’t really want him to jump off this huge building.

“Well,” he said in a light tone, “typically those who jump off buildings die.” He gestured to the busy street hundreds of feet below. Inside, he was beginning to get annoyed. He had only come up for some fresh air, and a wisecracker had come and ruined his peace. He took a closer look at the man. Tall, well muscled. He looked quite professional, in a black suit with a shock of dark brown hair. The midday sun glinted off his reflective shades. He didn’t look like the wisecracking type.

The boy sprinted for the door that led inside. His hand closed around the handle, but he was too late. A sharp pain in his back blossomed, and he blacked out. The last thing that he saw was the man’s tranquilizer gun.

I think this was a good introduction. It held my attention, and also had me questioning the main character, and the man's motives. It was a little confusing - that could probably be edited with a little, but I also think the confusion in the story helped make the scene more realistic.

“You’re a bit slow, aren’t you? This is a juvenile center to freaks like you and me and the other kids behind you. But they call us ‘telekinetically gifted,” she said.

“Not what? Telekinetic? They’re never wrong. You probably don’t remember much, anyway, do you? They told you to do something weird, right? Like jumping off a building or opening a locked door when you had no key. If you did it, your powers would have kicked in and you would have saved yourself or opened the door. If you didn’t, they shot you with a tranquilizer. Now you’re here to get them money. My name’s Susan, by the way. You probably don’t remember anything, do you? The tranquilizer they shot you with had an amnesia inducing serum in it.”

This part is quite good, but there are still quite a few holes.
e.g she asks him if he's a bit slow, even though she knows that he's just had a shot of some weird drug that made him temporarily forget things.
Also, she seems like she might be giving away a little too much information straight away. In my opinion I think she should show more fear for the place - seeing as she doesn't seem to be the particularly bold type - she seems really scared in some bits, and then like she's just in the park with an old friend in other parts.

“Who am I?” he asked.

“Like I’m supposed to know? They’ll tell you soon. They know you’re awake by now,” she said, gesturing to a security camera in the corner of the room “By the way, don’t bother trying to escape. Everything here’s lined with lead. It’s the one substance our powers don’t effect,”

I like this part, it shows more of her attitude and personality. Making me more easily believe she's thirteen.

It seems a little bit weird that a man would just come up to one of his prisoners and say "Your name is Mark." Maybe you could try something more like:
"Hello" said the man, I gave him a strange and confused look. He looked at me gruffly "Your name is Mark, and (... ect.)"

Also, it seems a little odd that Susan would be allowed to speak so freely about the purpose of their 'prison' as if she was a ranking member. It seems like she's an experiment, and then she's one of them? Maybe you could make the man seem more angered at Susan for talking about the purpose and such so freely, maybe he could give her a snide look? It just seems a little odd in my opinion.

Susan leaned next to Mark’s ear.

It's a good conversation, but it seems again a little odd that the men would let their prisoners talk, and possible conspire and plan ways to get out? I think maybe you could have the man tell them to shut up a few times, just to influence the dangerous elements, and also how much they are being watched.

“So sorry, folks. This is my daughter. She has some problems.” He said, walking her towards the main exit. Susan opened her mouth to speak, but he twisted her wrist painfully. She said nothing as she was led to the car. A few people looked suspicious, but most were more concerned with the sprinkler getting them wet. Susan found herself shoved violently into the backseat.

“Where’s the boy?” asked one of them angrily. “Where did you tell him to go?”

I think this is probably the best written, and the most interesting part of the story. It gives me a greater sense of the characters emotions, and I think you portrayed this part very well. Good job.

This is good, but I found one small problem. It seems as though Mark found a police officer very easily considering the circumstances. It seems a little unrealistic, and I suggest that if you where to re-write this you should lengthen the ending. However, I do understand your reasons for giving a quick ending, as you had a limit for the competition.

Anyway, good work, I enjoyed this.

Thanks for posting.

PM me if you have any questions or comments.

~Mo.
Mo. was here. :) mwahahaha

I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother