z

Young Writers Society

Crafting the Amulet (Chapters 1-3)

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 am
RekatsRovert says...

Author's note: Since I'm still a newbie, I'm trying to understand how stuff goes on here. From what I've seen so far, people post a new thread for each new chapter, or two chapters. Is that correct?
Anyhow, go ahead and tell me what you think of this short story I wrote a short time ago. The first chapter will make this seem really out of place for the fantasy category, which is why I was compelled to include the second chapter. That's when things get better. Promise. :)

The air outside was still cool from winter, the snow was all gone for good, trees and things were starting to get green buds, Bush was the president after a very tiresome battle with some other gray haired guy named Kerry, and my math teacher Mrs. Scouressel was pure evil.

It wasn’t enough that I didn’t get fractions, just as we were learning to turn them into decimals—decimals were easier than fractions, cause decimals were just like money—but she had to give out homework every day. Not even my Language Arts teacher, Mr. Wagner, gave out homework over the weekends, and all my classmates agreed he was the worst of all the fifth grade teachers. But kids have strange ways of judgment. Not to mention Mrs. Scouressel gave you candy if you got a hundred on a test, but it was just a mini Snickers or Three Musketeers. Come on, lady, you could at least step up to a fun size! It was math, after all!

My name’s Derrick. And it had to be Derrick J when the teachers called on me, because there’s another kid in my class named Derrick, but his middle name starts with an M, but I don’t know what it is. Mine’s Joseph, and that’s what they call me nowadays; nope, no one calls me Derrick anymore, with or without a J, and I’m gonna tell you why.

I’m not good with math. You probably guessed. It’s not that I’m not smart enough, though that’s the first assumption when you see my C average in that subject. It’s just not interesting. I don’t really care what happens when you times a three digit number by a two digit number, or what it looks like when you graph a number or whatever it is. And you’ve already heard my spiel about fractions and decimals, or at least enough of it. No, I’m someone who likes stories.

It doesn’t matter where it comes from. Language Arts (what my mom calls English for some reason) is the conventional place to get a good tale. But what a lot of my fellow fifth graders overlook is Social Studies, and for that one I can tell why my mom calls it History.

I could open up our textbook anywhere I wanted and just start going. Napoleon chasing after the Russians, getting himself caught right between them and the British; Martin Luther King, preaching peace in a time that seemed to not exist to a child like me; Adolph Hitler causing all kinds of trouble for the rest of the world, enough to have a World War in his honor. But what really would catch my eye are the pictures.

I had heard that phrase that a picture is worth a thousand words. At the time I didn’t really pay much attention to it, because I was too busy trying to read the words that were hidden in the pictures in my textbooks. Ironic, huh? But I would see the portraits of Napoleon, seizing the rest of the French government and making himself the top dog, the photographs of tie-dyed hippies holding signs of protest to concepts I didn’t think needed any explanation, and the fiery mushroom shaped cloud when we dropped the Atomic Bomb on Japan. Japan, where Dragonball Z and Pokemon came from. They had a bomb the size of Alaska (which I had been quite surprised to discover was bigger than three Texases) detonated right on their city. Kaboom!

It was one day while flipping through my Social Studies book, looking for a good picture that I hadn’t seen in awhile, that Mrs. Scouressel called on me. I wasn’t paying a lick of attention, and so started the chain reaction.

“Derrick?” she called. She was at the blackboard, next to her desk. “Oh, sorry, Derrick J? Can you tell us the answer to number seventeen?”

Ah ha! Perfect! Neil Armstrong, standing tall in his white spacesuit next to The Red White and Blue, One Nation Indivisible, so on and so forth. The first man on the moon. The moon!

“Derrick? Are you with us?”

I scanned over the caption at the bottom of the picture, but it was boring like all the other captions on all the other pictures. I thought of being in that suit, looking up at a sky of blackness and the big blue earth way far away from where you normally felt it. I imagined ol’ Neil getting a bit lightheaded looking at it, feeling that feeling of wondrous displacement.

A couple of my classmates where looking my way and giggling, including Derrick M, who was a pure brainer in math. I still didn’t notice.

“Derrick! Hey, come out of La-La Land.”

For some reason that got my attention. I guess I never liked the sound of “La-La Land.” It always seemed… sacrilegious, somehow. Like you were taking the name of dreams in vain. I looked up quickly, wondering what I’d missed.

“Derrick J, number 17, go.” Mrs. Scouressel wasn’t going to waste time by berating me just yet.

I looked up at the board, my stomach suddenly on its way up to my throat and sweat breaking out all over me like a squeezed sponge. The problem asked what 4/18ths was in decimal form. We’d been going over this topic for at least the past month. And here I was, with my mind literally on the moon.

“Uhm… is it…?” But is it what? What could I do? Make up some crazy number? I wasn’t exactly the class clown, so everyone would just give me a weird look.

“I don’t know,” said Mrs. Scouressel. “You’re supposed to tell me.”

Oh, right, ha-ha, teacher, good one. If I was smooth and cool like a cartoon character, that’s what I would have said, and we’d have both had a good laugh and I could tell her I had no clue and she’d ask someone else. Course, that’s not what happened; it’s not the way things work. Never is in the real world. So instead I pulled a blank, practically played tug-of-war with one, and stared openly at my teacher.

She noticed my current reading selection. “Derrick, why do you have your Social Studies book out?” She sighed as she said it as if she lived a really tough life. Tough was trying not to let your heart bust out of your sweater and onto your desk. Tough was holding back tears of embarrassment.

“I… uh…”

Good story, huh?

“Just go to the office,” Mrs. Scouressel said. “We don’t have time for it.”

Kaboom. Hiroshima was nothing. Nagasaki was a kid’s cap gun. And the moon sounded like a good place to be right now, oxygen or no oxygen.

A lot of kids would storm out of the room, angry at the world. Not Derrick J, no sir! I timidly closed my Social Studies book and picked up my Math and Language Arts texts while the room waited to be rid of my presence. The silence was deafening. Kids that go to The Office were troublemakers, no questions. About thirty pairs of eyes drove needles into my backside as I opened the door and went out into the hall.

Some kids come here to learn,” I heard her quip as I closed the door behind me. There were some giggles, but mostly solemn silence. By the time I was halfway down the hall to The Office, I figured they all were probably diving into Mrs. Scouressel’s candy stash and having a blast now, music and dancing and fun for all. I felt like the mud on the bottom of a shoe.

It would have been a much less eventful day if I’d been able to make it to the office, and sit in those uncomfortable metal you-are-here-because-you-are-guilty chairs in their lobby. But all the commotion from Math class made me have to pee, so I went into the restroom first, still shaking badly.

I put my books on the little alcove at the entrance to the restroom and went into one of the stalls. The upright urinals always had made me feel uncomfortable, although that was the choice of most of my peers.

I was about to unbuckle my belt when I noticed an irregularity on the wall in front of me. If I had been in Middle School or High School I would have just dismissed it as a bit of artful graffiti, but I was in the innocent age, whether I knew it or not. I examined it.

The stall toilets stood a few inches from the wall, connected by a clandestine array of pipes. On the wall wasn’t some bizarre extension of the toilet—it was a little black plastic button. The kind you saw on those quarter-operated arcade games at Wal-Mart to make your character shoot or punch or kick. It was right there on the wall, right where it wasn’t supposed to be. And I just stared at it, mesmerized, my bladder all but forgotten.

When you see a button, you push it. Especially if you’re a little kid, and especially if said button isn’t where it’s supposed to be. You know it’s true. Grass grows, sun shines, Math teachers are all meanies, curiosity made the cat into a wizard’s apprentice, and people push buttons.

I didn’t hesitate for long once I realized that I was going to push the button. I reached out and pressed square in the middle of it in one fluid motion.

The change that took place wasn’t so much of an abrupt thrust or a gigantic lurch of the space time continuum. It was more like when the elevator reaches its predetermined floor, and that made the button all the more appropriate. All I could feel was a lightness for a second (as if I was walking on the moon) and then everything changed; all I could see, feel, smell, sense around me melted and rearranged into something else.

I wasn’t in the bathroom at school anymore. I wasn’t even inside anymore. I appeared to be surrounded by big, white rocks that formed almost a ceiling-less room around me. My ears popped suddenly, letting me know that I was higher up now, on top of a hill. I looked around me, and took in the scent of freedom. What else could I call it? I wasn’t in school anymore, and boy would my mom get mad at me! What would Mrs. Scouressel think now? I’m not there, I’m here, wherever I am. I looked above me, a grin starting to spread on my face and my heart racing, but with joy now. The sky was a wonderful blue to match the wonderful white of the rocks and the glorious brown of the dirt and the magnificent yellow-green of a little plant that was growing near my feet. All around me was wonder, was awe, was brilliance.

I was breathing heavy as well, now, panting like a dog. And why not? I was excited! I was somewhere in the mountains! I was…

Lost.

I saw a metal post sticking out of the ground nearby, with a little black button on it. That was probably the way back. The only other options were that the button would take you somewhere else completely new, or there was no way back and it was just there for decoration. Or maybe it was an artifact, just a piece of broken equipment. Next to it was a break in the rocks, and a path that led down from my current location. I moved that way, at first slowly, but then running down the path, eager to see what came next.

I didn’t really stop to smell the flowers, as they say. I kept going no matter what I saw next. A scrubby and half-bare looking pine tree clinging to the rocks, a tiny black bird that hopped about on the path, scattering when I came by, and most of all the pale shades of white and gray from the rocks. After each little detail I registered, I was still keeping a quick pace down the hill I had appeared upon. Flora and fauna and everything beyond, it was amazing! The pine trees had a sweet aroma to them that blended with the raw earthy scent of the boulders and cliffs all around. It fed me the energy to keep going.

I came to a steep precipice where the trail curved. I finally stopped to look out across the cliff side, and I could feel the breath sucked out of my lungs. Far off at the edge of my sight was the horizon, a thin indeterminate line that separated the gray wisps of clouds that way from the golden-green fields of grain that stretched from here to there. There weren’t many trees, but here and there a boulder or a cluster of them jutted from the ground into the sky. As I watched, a breeze blew from behind me, from over the knoll I had just descended and over the fields of grain. Once the gust hit the stalks of grain, they tilted with it, and suddenly turned a pleasant shade of purple which blended with the dark blue sky like pure magic. The purple color then lifted from the plants and into the air like a cloud of bugs, and there it was taken away by the wind, to that faraway line, the horizon.

I didn’t know what the purple stuff was, I didn’t even know where I was, but I knew that I wanted to go and get some. I knew somehow that it would taste like cotton candy and would melt away in my mouth once I had finally chased some of it down. Never mind the stuff that was still probably in the plants. I knew that I needed to chase it down, to follow it to the horizon.

I ran the rest of the way down from the hill, and that’s where I met my first and only Wizards.
Last edited by RekatsRovert on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winter sun catches, dog fox through thin hedges;
throws his long shadow north, to the emptiness.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:49 am
Zibbie says...

Hi Rekats
I'm a newbie too :)
This story is a breath of fresh air. I LOVED it. I don't even have any nitpicks, which i know must be disappointing, because you're new.

RekatsRovert wrote:Mine’s Joseph, and that’s what they call me nowadays; nope, no one calls me Derrick anymore, with or without a J, and I’m gonna tell you why.

why?

RekatsRovert wrote:I ran the rest of the way down from the hill, and that’s where I met my first and only Wizards.

you have no idea how excited i was when the word wizards came up. YAY
write more!
Zib
"His poetry was terrible. It sounds like he ate a dictionary and started vomiting up words at random."

6 Reviews

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:06 am
RekatsRovert says...

Heh alright then. I guess this means I need to make a new thread?

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:16 am
eldEr says...

Suggestions, corrections and questions in red

RekatsRovert wrote:1

The air outside was still cool from winter. The snow was all gone for good, trees and things were starting to get green buds. Bush was the president after a very tiresome battle with some other gray haired guy named Kerry, and my math teacher, Mrs. Scouressel was pure evil.

It wasn’t enough that I didn’t get fractions, just as we were learning to turn them into decimals—decimals were easier than fractions, 'cause decimals were just like money—but she had to give out homework every day. Not even my Language Arts teacher, Mr. Wagner, gave out homework over the weekends, and all my classmates agreed he was the worst of all the fifth grade teachers. But kids have strange ways of judgment. good sentences usually don't start with 'but,' try rewording it a bit. Not to mention Mrs. Scouressel gave you candy if you got a hundred on a test, but it was just a mini Snickers or Three Musketeers. Come on, lady! You could at least step up to a fun size! It was math, after all!

My name’s Derrick. And it had to be Derrick J when the teachers called on me, because there’s another kid in my class named Derrick, but his middle name starts with an M, but I don’t know what it is. This is a run-on sentence...can you reword this to make it into a few sentences? Mine’s Joseph, and that’s what they call me nowadays; nope, no one calls me Derrick anymore, with or without a J, and I’m gonna tell you why. you never do learn why...

I’m not good with math. You probably guessed. It’s not that I’m not smart enough, though that’s the first assumption when you see my C average in that subject. It’s just not interesting. I don’t really care what happens when you times a three digit number by a two digit number, or what it looks like when you graph a number or whatever it is. And you’ve already heard my spiel about fractions and decimals, or at least enough of it. No, I’m someone who likes stories.

It doesn’t matter where it comes from. Language Arts (what my mom calls English for some reason) is the conventional place to get a good tale. But what a lot of my fellow fifth graders overlook is Social Studies, and for that one I can tell why my mom calls it History.

I could open up our textbook anywhere I wanted and just start going. Napoleon chasing after the Russians, getting himself caught right between them and the British; Martin Luther King, preaching peace in a time that seemed to not exist to a child like me; Adolph Hitler causing all kinds of trouble for the rest of the world, enough to have a World War in his honor. But Once again, try not to start your sentences with 'but'. what really would try switching 'really would' to 'would really' catch my eye are the pictures.

I had heard that phrase that a picture is worth a thousand words this should probably be in italics or have quotation marks around it.. At the time I didn’t really pay much attention to it, because I was too busy trying to read the words that were hidden in the pictures in my textbooks. Ironic, huh? But I would see the portraits of Napoleon, seizing the rest of the French government and making himself the top dog, the photographs of tie-dyed hippies holding signs of protest to concepts I didn’t think needed any explanation, and the fiery mushroom shaped cloud when we dropped the Atomic Bomb on Japan. Japan, where Dragonball Z and Pokemon came from. They had a bomb the size of Alaska (which I had been quite surprised to discover was bigger than three Texases) detonated right on their city. Kaboom! I don't know why, but I loved the 'Kaboom!'...it added humour.

It was one day while flipping through my Social Studies book, looking for a good picture that I hadn’t seen in awhile, that Mrs. Scouressel called on me. I wasn’t paying a lick of attention, and so started the chain reaction.

“Derrick?” she called. She was at the blackboard, next to her desk. “Oh, sorry, Derrick J? Can you tell us the answer to number seventeen?”

Ah ha! Perfect! Neil Armstrong, standing tall in his white spacesuit next to The Red White and Blue, One Nation Indivisible, so on and so forth. The first man on the moon. The moon!

“Derrick? Are you with us?”

I scanned over the caption at the bottom of the picture, but it was boring like all the other captions on all the other pictures. I thought of being in that suit, looking up at a sky of blackness and the big blue earth way far away from where you normally felt it. I imagined ol’ Neil getting a bit lightheaded looking at it, feeling that feeling of wondrous displacement.

A couple of my classmates where looking my way and giggling, including Derrick M, who was a pure brainer in math. I still didn’t notice.

“Derrick! Hey, come out of La-La Land.”

For some reason that got my attention. I guess I never liked the sound of “La-La Land.” It always seemed… sacrilegious, somehow. Like you were taking the name of dreams in vain. I looked up quickly, wondering what I’d missed.

“Derrick J, number 17. Go.” Mrs. Scouressel wasn’t going to waste time by berating me just yet.

I looked up at the board, my stomach suddenly on its way up to my throat and sweat breaking out all over me like a squeezed sponge. The problem asked what 4/18ths was in decimal form. We’d been going over this topic for at least the past month, and here I was, with my mind literally on the moon.

“Uhm… is it…?” But is it what? What could I do? Make up some crazy number? I wasn’t exactly the class clown, so everyone would just give me a weird look.

“I don’t know,” said Mrs. Scouressel. “You’re supposed to tell me.”

Oh, right, ha-ha, teacher, good one. I don't know if it's just me, but try making a seperate sentence after 'teacher,' and before 'good' If I was smooth and cool like a cartoon character, that’s what I would have said, and we’d have both had a good laugh and I could tell her I had no clue and she’d ask someone else. 'Course, that’s not what happened; it’s not the way things work. Never is in the real world. So instead I pulled a blank, practically played tug-of-war with one, and stared openly at my teacher.

She noticed my current reading selection. “Derrick, why do you have your Social Studies book out?” She sighed as she said it as if she lived a really tough life. Tough was trying not to let your heart bust out of your sweater and onto your desk. Tough was holding back tears of embarrassment.

“I… uh…”

Good story, huh?

“Just go to the office,” Mrs. Scouressel said. “We don’t have time for it.”

Kaboom. Hiroshima was nothing. Nagasaki was a kid’s cap gun, and the moon sounded like a good place to be right now, oxygen or no oxygen.

A lot of kids would storm out of the room, angry at the world. Not Derrick J, no sir! I timidly closed my Social Studies book and picked up my Math and Language Arts texts while the room waited to be rid of my presence. The silence was deafening. Kids that go to The Office were troublemakers, no questions. About thirty pairs of eyes drove needles into my backside as I opened the door and went out into the hall.

Some kids come here to learn,” I heard her quip as I closed the door behind me. There were some giggles, but mostly solemn silence. By the time I was halfway down the hall to The Office, I figured they all were probably diving into Mrs. Scouressel’s candy stash and having a blast now, music and dancing and fun for all. I felt like the mud on the bottom of a shoe.

It would have been a much less eventful day if I’d been able to make it to the office, and sit in those uncomfortable metal you-are-here-because-you-are-guilty chairs in their lobby. But all the commotion from Math class made me have to pee, so I went into the restroom first, still shaking badly.

I put my books on the little alcove at the entrance to the restroom and went into one of the stalls. The upright urinals always had made me feel uncomfortable, although that was the choice of most of my peers.

I was about to unbuckle my belt when I noticed an irregularity on the wall in front of me. If I had been in Middle School or High School I would have just dismissed it as a bit of artful graffiti, but I was in the innocent age, whether I knew it or not. I examined it.

The stall toilets stood a few inches from the wall, connected by a clandestine array of pipes. On the wall wasn’t some bizarre extension of the toilet—it was a little black plastic button. The kind you saw on those quarter-operated arcade games at Wal-Mart to make your character shoot or punch or kick. It was right there on the wall, right where it wasn’t supposed to be. And I just stared at it, mesmerized, my bladder all but forgotten.

When you see a button, you push it. Especially if you’re a little kid, and especially if said button isn’t where it’s supposed to be. You know it’s true. Grass grows, sun shines, Math teachers are all meanies, curiosity made the cat into a wizard’s apprentice, and people push buttons.Loved this paragraph!!

I didn’t hesitate for long once I realized that I was going to push the button. I reached out and pressed square in the middle of it in one fluid motion.

The change that took place wasn’t so much of an abrupt thrust or a gigantic lurch of the space time continuum. It was more like when the elevator reaches its predetermined floor, and that made the button all the more appropriate. All I could feel was a lightness for a second (as if I was walking on the moon) and then everything changed; all I could see, feel, smell, sense around me melted and rearranged into something else.

I wasn’t in the bathroom at school anymore. I wasn’t even inside anymore. I appeared to be surrounded by big, white rocks that formed almost a ceiling-less room around me. My ears popped suddenly, letting me know that I was higher up now, on top of a hill. I looked around me, and took in the scent of freedom. What else could I call it? I wasn’t in school anymore, and boy would my mom get mad at me! What would Mrs. Scouressel think now? I’m not there, I’m here, wherever I am. I looked above me, a grin starting to spread on my face and my heart racing, but with joy now. The sky was a wonderful blue to match the wonderful white of the rocks and the glorious brown of the dirt and the magnificent yellow-green of a little plant that was growing near my feet. All around me was wonder, was awe, was brilliance.

I was breathing heavy as well, now, panting like a dog. And why not? I was excited! I was somewhere in the mountains! I was…

Lost.

I saw a metal post sticking out of the ground nearby, with a little black button on it. That was probably the way back. The only other options were that the button would take you somewhere else completely new, or there was no way back and it was just there for decoration. Or maybe it was an artifact, just a piece of broken equipment. Next to it was a break in the rocks, and a path that led down from my current location. I moved that way, at first slowly, but then running down the path, eager to see what came next.

I didn’t really stop to smell the flowers, as they say. I kept going no matter what I saw next. A scrubby and half-bare looking pine tree clinging to the rocks, a tiny black bird that hopped about on the path, scattering when I came by, and most of all the pale shades of white and gray from the rocks. After each little detail I registered, I was still keeping a quick pace down the hill I had appeared upon. Flora and fauna and everything beyond, it was amazing! The pine trees had a sweet aroma to them that blended with the raw earthy scent of the boulders and cliffs all around. It fed me the energy to keep going.

I came to a steep precipice where the trail curved. I finally stopped to look out across the cliff side, and I could feel the breath sucked out of my lungs. Far off at the edge of my sight was the horizon, a thin indeterminate line that separated the gray wisps of clouds that way from the golden-green fields of grain that stretched from here to there. There weren’t many trees, but here and there a boulder or a cluster of them jutted from the ground into the sky. As I watched, a breeze blew from behind me, from over the knoll I had just descended and over the fields of grain. Once the gust hit the stalks of grain, they tilted with it, and suddenly turned a pleasant shade of purple which blended with the dark blue sky like pure magic. The purple color then lifted from the plants and into the air like a cloud of bugs, and there it was taken away by the wind, to that faraway line, the horizon.

I didn’t know what the purple stuff was, I didn’t even know where I was, but I knew that I wanted to go and get some. I knew somehow that it would taste like cotton candy and would melt away in my mouth once I had finally chased some of it down. Never mind the stuff that was still probably in the plants. I knew that I needed to chase it down, to follow it to the horizon.

I ran the rest of the way down from the hill, and that’s where I met my first and only Wizards.

That was a pretty intersesting story... not every day you shift realities by button in a toilet stall!! It was unique and set apart. It was also humorouse, which I loved! I only had a few nit-picks at the beginning, but there were nearly none near the end. Good job!
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

6 Reviews

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:06 am
RekatsRovert says...

Thanks for reviewing! Guess I'll make my explanations in blue.

Isha wrote:Suggestions, corrections and questions in red

RekatsRovert wrote:1

The air outside was still cool from winter. The snow was all gone for good, trees and things were starting to get green buds. Bush was the president after a very tiresome battle with some other gray haired guy named Kerry, and my math teacher, Mrs. Scouressel was pure evil. A comma here would create two separate clauses, which wasn't what I was going for.
|||||
My name’s Derrick. And it had to be Derrick J when the teachers called on me, because there’s another kid in my class named Derrick, but his middle name starts with an M, but I don’t know what it is. This is a run-on sentence...can you reword this to make it into a few sentences? I know it doesn't look good, but since this is an inner dialogue, I'm trying to write it just as he would say it. Mine’s Joseph, and that’s what they call me nowadays; nope, no one calls me Derrick anymore, with or without a J, and I’m gonna tell you why. you never do learn why... Well no, not yet. You have to read the whole story. It's just some exposition.

I've offered a meager defense to some of the points you made, but for the most part you had a lot of really good suggestions that I'll likely transfer to my 'hard' copy on my computer. Thanks again! :D

6 Reviews

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:54 am
RekatsRovert says...

I never found an answer to whether I should make a new thread or not. So I'll play it safe and just keep updating this thread. Maybe I should just post the whole rest of the story, and get it out of the way?

I reached the very bottom of the hill and took a look around me. I seemed to be surrounded by stone; the fields began to my right, and to my left there stretched an endless expanse of stony foothills. Farther that way rose mountains from those foothills, and even farther than that I wouldn’t have been surprised if even higher mountains sprung from those mountains. But the mountains, I decided, would have to wait for another day. Right then, I had fields to run through.

Just as I took a step into the waist-high grasses and grains of the fields, a powerful voice from behind me boomed forth.

“Well! It’s about time you’ve shown up, young master! I’ve been sitting here for the better part of the day awaiting your arrival!”

I froze like a deer, staring out at the golden fields. I had a feeling that it would have been wise for me to ignore the voice and just keep going, but an even stronger impulse told me that whoever had materialized there could blast me to bits if I took off then. So, I slowly turned my head, and looked over my shoulder to what or whoever stood there.

It was a man, looking all of two hundred years old with a gray beard down to his stomach, and a cloth robe of a darker gray around him, tied off with dark rope. He was leaning on a wooden staff and looking directly into me, through me; he looked like he saw everything and wasn’t surprised; he knew what came next, what came before that and what went on behind his back. His eyes were a light brown, almost amber in color. His skin was a shade of light tan, and he was gazing at me with a mixture of contentment, amusement, and just a slight crease of annoyance upon his brow. The only thing missing was a peaked hat to match his robe, otherwise I would have thought I was looking at Gandalf the Gray.

“I do hope you don’t plan on going out into the fields at this hour. Not only do we have work to do, you’ll get some nasty bites from the field flies. We don’t want that right now, do we?”

The feeling was back. I was in class again, and I had been called on to answer a question I didn’t even begin to comprehend. But the man in gray said something to me that did grab my attention.

“Field… flies?” I asked.

“That’s correct. They chase after the pollen and carry it over the river to the fields on the other side, and then those fields blow their pollen for the flies to take over to this side of the river once more. And let me tell you, they give you one nasty bite if you try to catch them!” The man laughed, a deep jolly sound like Santa Claus. It made me feel compelled to laugh as well. “Anyways, young man, come with me. We need to get to work.”

“But… um… wait a minute. Where am I?” I asked.

“Oh, this place doesn’t have a name, really. But maybe you’d like to help me give it one, later on.” He was starting to retreat into the rocks.

“How can it not have a name? And who are you?”

“Questions, questions! It is good to be inquisitive, isn’t it?”

“But…”

“You can have answers to your questions later on. Right now we’ve got work to do, and time is wasting.” He was getting further away now, and had turned to walk into the cavernous path that led up to the mountains.

I didn’t want to get bitten by any bugs, no way, but I also didn’t want to leave the horizon behind. But wherever I was, the wizard guy seemed to know his way around what went on in this place. I may as well have called it the moon; the place felt strange, but in a clean, safe way that my own world didn’t. I began to catch up to the wizard.

I ran until I saw him again, moving at a fairly steady pace for an old guy. “I’m not on Earth anymore, am I?” I asked.

“Oh, in a way you are. Let’s just say that you’re in a reverse-Earth. How about that?”

“And you’re a wizard, aren’t you? Like Harry Potter or Gandalf?”

He considered it for a moment. “I think that wizard is a good term for you to use, just as good as any other. But I wouldn’t relate myself to either of those two figures. It does a disservice to both parties.”

I wasn’t sure what he meant, but I took it regardless. “So what is it that you’re going to have me do?”

“More questions! Hahaha! Ah, I never get tired of them.”

“…So, what are we doing?”

“Don’t worry about it. It’s not that difficult.” But the wizard didn’t say any more, and I didn’t keep asking.

We eventually came to a cave in the side of one of the cliffs. The wizard set his staff on one side and went in, but I hung back outside, reluctant. I heard him rummage around inside the cave, muttering to himself, and when he came back out, in his hand was a sheet of paper with writing on it.

“Okay, here’s the list. Now, Joseph—”

“My name’s Derrick,” I interrupted. “Joseph’s my middle name, though.”

“I know, Joseph. And I know that you know. And you know that I know that you know.” He grinned. “Henceforth, I declare that you shall be called Joseph, and that is that.”

“Why?”

“Joseph, by helping me, you’re actually helping yourself. You’ll see in a bit.”

I stared blankly at him, absolutely perplexed.

He went on. “Now, Joseph. On this piece of paper I have written down a few things I need from you.” He flipped the paper over and showed me. “You’ll see that there are a few things crossed out. I’ve already found those on my own, but the rest of them I’m leaving up to you.”

“Okay…”

“Item the first: A pine cone.”

“Really? That’s it?”

“That’s it. But it has to be from a certain tree. On your way down here I imagine you came across them? Odd looking trees, bare and gnarly on some sides”

“Oh, yeah! I’ll get you one!”

“Alright, then!” He seemed pleased beyond measure. I myself was rather excited. I wondered what kind of concoctions we could brew up with a pine cone, of all things. “Hurry off, then. I’ll begin preparing the rest of the ingredients.”

I took off to the hill I had come from and scaled it quickly; my legs and lungs burned, but I didn’t take much notice. I found the scraggly looking pine tree with ease and began hunting for a cone. I saw one, but it was still on the tree, too high above my head. As I began to look for another, more accessible cone, I saw a dark flush of feathers as the little black bird landed on the branch above me, gripping the cone in its talons.

I ignored it at first, frantically searching for a cone. But there were none; just that single pine cone, too far above my reach. It was dark gray, and had bristly tips on its scales. I logged in my mind what it looked like, and was about to go find another tree when I heard the bird make a soft, raspy noise. Aaahhc.

I turned around to look at it, annoyed that I couldn’t have that cone. I considered taking my frustration out on the bird with one of the numerous stones lying around when I had an idea. I just had to knock the cone from its place, and that would be that.

I found a good sized stone and picked it up, aiming at the cone. The bird seemed to get the picture and flew off, I figured, to another, safer pine tree. I chucked the rock, and the first time I missed. I tried again with rock number two and hit the cone, but it still hung on. On the third try, I hefted the rock with all of my eleven year old strength, and bam! The cone dropped to the ground. I gleefully grabbed it and began to make my way back to the wizard.

As I went down the hill, the run up the hill finally caught up with me, and I slowed down. I knew that it was unwise to run down a slope anyways, lest you trip and break your face. I decided that I had retrieved the ingredient fast enough that whatever the wizard had in mind to make had been put back on schedule, and I had sufficiently made up the time I had been dawdling. But I thought: how the heck did he know I was coming? Did he put the button there in the bathroom, using some kind of magic? How had he timed it so perfectly? But since I was late—and here I didn’t even know I had a very important date—couldn’t he have set things in motion just a little earlier? There was too much for me to comprehend. I pushed it away for the moment and quickened my pace back to the cave, from where I now heard voices.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:46 pm
RayquazaKid says...

Howdy there, here’s that review you requested. ;) (sorry, I would have had this earlier but I've been traveling recently.)

I don’t have much to say, as this story is one of the better ones out there. Spelling is pretty good, and so is grammer. The main problem you have is run-on sentences. There are definitely some sentences in there that would be better off separated, or cut short. Here’s an example of two back-to-back ones.

And it had to be Derrick J when the teachers called on me, because there’s another kid in my class named Derrick, but his middle name starts with an M, but I don’t know what it is. Mine’s Joseph, and that’s what they call me nowadays; nope, no one calls me Derrick anymore, with or without a J, and I’m gonna tell you why.

The thing you need to do with these is somehow spread this out a little. Perhaps you could try,
“And it had to be Derrick J when the teachers called on me. There’s another kid in my class named Derrick, but his middle name starts with an M; I don’t know what it is. Mine’s Joseph, and that’s what they call me nowadays. No one calls me Derrick anymore – with or without the J – and I’m gonna tell you why.”

The amount of sentences in this instance has been doubled, and actually makes this paragraph a little easier to read. Also take into account that you can also shorten sentences by deleting unnecessary information, or simply rewording the sentence altogether. Take this for example.

We have a kid named Derrick M; I don’t know what his actual middle name is.

So here’s an idea, go through your story and find some of the longer sentences and see if you can find a way to separate them, or find any unnecessary information. It’ll help a load. Do note that you do better at this in chapter two, so I wouldn’t focus too much on it. It’s chapter one that has the most problems.

Another quick thing;

Lost.

You think you could try combining these? I understand the intention with having the thought as a separate paragraph, but one-word-paragraphs aren’t good. You can still have the same effect if you use,
I was breathing heavy as well, now, panting like a dog. And why not? I was excited! I was somewhere in the mountains! I was… lost…

Finally, there is an instance of purple prose.

I can understand that you want to describe the world around the character, are you’ve done a good job of it so far, but now you’re info-dumping. Try to spread it out a little. If not, do separate paragraphs. I’ve heard by example that most stories will spread character descriptions over the course of the entire book. Sometimes we still won’t know what the color of a character’s hair was or what not. Try playing around with it a little and see what you can come up with.

Well… that’s it for the nitpicking. I really liked this story. It may be just my opinion, but I do hope the button is explained later in the story (but that’s only because I’m the type that needs explainations). Other than that it’s a wonderful story, and I hope you continue it. :)
Call me RK :)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:58 pm
Rydia says...

Hey hey ^^ Okay so it's actually up to you whether you start a new thread for each chapter or post them all here but I'd advise starting new threads. It can be quite over-whelming for someone to come to review your story and find that there's ten or more chapters all in the same thread whereas if they're done a chapter at a time, people can follow your novel steadily and review in sections rather than trying to do all of it in one sitting.

As for my thoughts on your work, well I'll do it a chapter at a time...

Chapter One

The air outside was still cool from winter, but the snow was all gone for good, trees and things [This is vague and breaks the flow. Maybe write shrubbery or flowers or greenery etc.] were starting to get green buds, Bush was the president after a very tiresome battle with some other gray haired guy named Kerry, and my math teacher Mrs. Scouressel was pure evil.
It's a nice opening paragraph. You've got a good bit of humour, an easy going tone and some decent visuals. All in all a good start.

I like your second paragraph even better, no suggestions for change. I found it rather different in tone to your first though. The first (other than that one word things) didn't feel as colloquial or 'teenage' but it's not too obvious. You could get away with it I suppose.

Hmmm. third paragraph makes me wonder if you should perhaps go for last names not middle. I don't know if it's different in other schools but middle names were sort of off limits at mine. They weren't on the register and children tended to only tell their closest friends. If we needed to tell two people with the same name apart, we took the first letter of their last names. Just something to consider.

I could open up our textbook anywhere I wanted and just start going. Napoleon chasing after the Russians, getting himself caught right between them and the British; Martin Luther King, preaching peace in a time that seemed to not exist to a child [Maybe youth instead? This doesn;t seem to have been long ago and a teen rarely thinks of themself as a child at that age.] like me; Adolph Hitler causing all kinds of trouble for the rest of the world, enough to have a World War in his honor. But what really would catch my eye are were the pictures.

Good dialogue, love the tone of your writing. This is all very easy to read and entertaining, good work. You've got an excellent grip of character by the way, I love your MC already.

A lot of kids would storm out of the room, angry at the world. Not Derrick J, no sir! I timidly closed my Social Studies book and picked up my Math and Language Arts texts while the room waited to be rid of my presence. The silence was deafening. Kids that go to The Office were troublemakers, [Should be either, 'are troublemakers' or 'kids that went to the office'] no questions. About thirty pairs of eyes drove needles into my backside as I opened the door and went out into the hall.

Well I must say it really picked up after the first few paragraphs. I think you should perhaps take another look at the first and second and try to inject some more of that tongue in cheek humour you have later on, that's where the hook is to your story and tghe sooner you get it in, the better. I don't have any other criticism for the first chapter so I'll move on to the next.

Chapter Two

Aaaaaand that's all I have XD Not quite so good as your first chapter because it lacked the interaction but you still managed to keep my attention. The tone held throughout, the descriptions were good and the hint of magic was enough hook to keep most readers hanging on.

Chapter Three

Nothing specific to comment on here, just thought I'd ramble about age a moment. I hadn't figured him for being quite so young. The good thing is that I was wrong to suggest replacing child with youth earlier but perhaps try to be a little clearer. It's difficult because the tone is that of an older boy thinking back to this time so of course it give the image of a mature character and it's only in this third chapter that the age really shines through.

Other than that, all good. I perhaps wasn't as thrilled by your wizard as I would have liked to be. Some of his lines of dialogue I found interesting but his appearance was perhaps a little too usual for my liking and his ambivalent way of talking. I don't know. Maybe I've just read too much fantasy and will never find a wizard to my liking again ;)

Anyway, you've got an awesome start here so good luck with it! If you'd like later chapters looking at or have questions, drop me a pm,

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

6 Reviews

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:03 am
RekatsRovert says...

Thanks Heather!

The "Wizard" is only described as a wizard by the narrator as such because that's the first thing to come to his mind upon meeting him. I'm not saying that he is, and you're right to think he's not up to par. :)

I had recently watched A Christmas Story on TV, and that's kinda where I took from for my narrator's voice: the wise older guy reflecting on his childhood.

I guess I'll post new threads from now on; I hope I won't confuse anybody, though. :roll:

I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro