z

Young Writers Society

Can you see me? (Prologue)

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:07 pm
Sins says...

Spoiler! :
I'm not sure whether this should be the prologue or the first chapter... what do you guys think?

I was seven years old when I first met my older sister; my deceased older sister. I was in my bedroom, playing with one of my train sets. She was sitting on my bed, her long dark hair tied into a pair of perfect plaits. From her small mouth came soft a tune, some kind of nursery rhyme.
Her pretty face was almost glowing. Set just below her straight fringe were a pair of deep brown eyes like the colour of melted chocolate. My sister's lips were so perfectly red, they looked as though they had been painted onto her face. She didn’t have bumps and dents in her skin like most people either.
I didn’t know who she was at first, I didn’t even know where she’d come from. I could tell she was nice though and she made me feel happy, comfortable. After she’d been sitting there for ten minutes, I looked up and smiled at her.
“What’s your name?” I said, trying to fit an Action Man into one of my trains.
“Annabel,” she grinned back.
“My sister was called Annabel,” I said. “I think it’s a funny name.”
"I think that it's a nice name," she said simply.
“Why are you here?” I was feeling a bit confused now.
Annabel didn’t answer for a while after that. Instead, she continued to hum that nursery rhyme, and I stared at her as she did so.
After she didn't reply, I began to wonder if I’d somehow made her feel upset. Maybe she was angry at me because I said that I thought her name was funny? I didn’t think it was an ugly name, I just thought that it was a bit long and fancy. I tried speaking again.
“Do you want to come and play trains with me?” I asked hopefully, “you can be Thomas The Tank if you want, I don’t mind. I know you're a girl, but you can still be Thomas.”
I didn’t like it when people were angry at me, especially if it was because I had said something nasty to them.
“No thank you.” Her voice was so sweet, it sounded as if she was still singing.
“Oh, okay... Why are you here then?” I tried asking again.
Annabel once again smiled as she opened her plump lips. Before she could say a word, my door suddenly opened, and in walked my mum.
She had been crying. Her deep brown eyes were horribly bloodshot and her bottom lip was shaking a bit. She always cried around this time of the year and she still found it hard to think about, even now.
“Maxxie?” she said quietly. “Who are you speaking to, darling?”
Slowly, my mum walked in my direction, eventually kneeling down beside me. I looked at the bed again. Annabel had vanished. That was odd. I hadn’t see her leave.
My mum tried to force a smile and she did eventually get one. It just wasn't a very happy one. Even at seven years old, I could tell which smiles of hers were fake and which ones were real.
“Annabel,” I answered happily. “She’s very pretty, mummy. She looks like you.”
The second I’d finished speaking, my mum’s entire face dropped. I could see pools of water gathering in her tired eyes. She was completely silent.
I tried my best to stop my mum from crying. I didn’t like it when she cried.
“She’s got black hair,” I said, “and she was wearing a nice white dress, and some white sandals. She was singing as well. She’s gone now though.”
Still silent, my mum continued staring into space. A few seconds later, she looked at me.
“Don’t be silly!” she snapped.
Her pale face suddenly came back to life, but not in the way I would have liked. Her lip began shaking again and her eyes looked wild. My mum was angry with me now. Why was I making everyone upset with me that day?
Grabbing my arm, she lifted me up off the floor. Pulling me out of the room, she took me down the stairs. She was gritting her teeth together and her eyes were blazing like fire. I wanted to say something to her, but then I decided not to. She was angry with me as it was, I didn’t want to make it any worse. It wasn’t fair. What had I done wrong? Did I upset her? I didn't mean to...

I'd been downstairs for quite a while now. My mum, my nan, my sister Lisa, and I were sitting in the living room together. I was bored stiff. They were talking about grown up stuff. I didn’t care about grown up stuff. I just wanted to get back to my trains and my Action Man. I was fiddling with the button on my mum’s jeans when I noticed Annabel.
She was sitting down, the same way as she was earlier. But this time, she was sitting on the end of my sofa. She smiled at me and I then smiled back. Glancing up at my mum, then turning back to Annabel, I opened my mouth.
"Why are you here?" I mouthed at her.
Again, Annabel didn’t answer me. This time, she did giggle to herself.
I glanced up at my mum again to check that she wasn’t looking. Relieved, I looked back to the end of the sofa. Annabel had gone. Completely vanished. I pulled an annoyed face before delving my head into my mum’s chest. She began gently running her hand through my hair. I’d almost fallen asleep when I heard a familiar, gentle voice.
“To look after you,” Annabel whispered.
I didn’t know it at the time, but those four words would soon mean a lot. An awful lot.

Thanks in advance for any reviews!
xoxo Skins

:smt001
Last edited by Sins on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 25 times in total.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:25 pm
e.gill says...

Hello I am here to help :)

Just a few nit picks

my train sets., andThis should just be a commar rather than a fullstop followed by a commar.

into a pair of perfect plaitsThe use of 'a pair' doesn't quite work here.

Yellow Submarine by The Beatles I believe. I would advise to put a commar after Beatles

Her young face was so perfect, it was almost glowing. Her deep brown eyes were like the colour of melted chocolate, and her lips were so perfectly red, they looked as though they had been painted onto her face.great description here,I love it.

Right overall I think this is really good and has great potential. I like the cliff hanger makes me want to know why she has to look after the child, why only the child could see her =)
Emily

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:16 pm
ToritheMonster says...

Here I am as requested!Corrections/comments in red, an asterisk means I took something out.
I was seven years old when I first met my older sister, my deceased older sister, that is. I remember it as though it were yesterday. I was in my bedroom, playing with one of my train sets, and she was sitting on my bed. Her long dark hair was tied into a pair of perfect plaits. I remember she was humming to a tune, Yellow Submarine by The Beatles, I believe. As I watched her, I realised immediately that she was different.
Her young (if he was little then, she wouldn't look young. Otherwise, don't skip out of a flashback.)face was so perfect, it was almost glowing. Her deep brown eyes were like the colour of melted chocolate, and her lips were so perfectly red, they looked as though they had been painted onto her face. She didn’t have bumps and dents in her skin, like most people. Her face was so fresh looking, so full of youth. I suppose that’s fair enough though, the girl I was seeing was only fourteen years old after all.
I didn’t know that she was my sister at first, I didn’t even know where she’d come from. I could tell she was nice though, and she made me feel happy, comfortable. After she’d been sitting there for ten minutes, I looked up and smiled at her.
“What’s your name?” I asked, putting one of my trains down.
“Annabel.” She grinned back.
“My sister was called Annabel?” I continued. “I think it’s a funny name.”
“I know.” She replied simply. “I think it’s a nice name.”
“Why are you here?” I was feeling a bit confused now.
Annabel didn’t answer for a while after that. Instead, she continued to hum that Beatles song, and I stared at her at her as she did so.
After another five minutes had passed, I was beginning to wonder if I’d somehow offended her. Maybe she was angry at me because I said that I thought her name was funny? I didn’t think it was an ugly name, I just thought that it was a bit posh (that's a kinda fancy word for a seven-year old...). I tried speaking again.
“Do you want to come and play trains with me?” I asked hopefully. “You can be Thomas The Tank if you want, I don’t mind.”
I didn’t like it when people were angry at me, especially if it was because I had said something nasty to them.
“No thank you.” She said *. Her voice was so sweet, it sounded as if she was still singing.
“Okay. Why are you here then?” I tried again.
Annabel once again smiled, as she opened her perfectly plump lips. Before she could say a word, my door suddenly opened, and in walked my mum.
She had been crying. Her deep brown eyes were horribly bloodshot, and her bottom lip was quivering slightly. She always cried around this time of the year, and she still finds it hard to think about, to remember, even now.
“Maxxie?” She said quietly. “Who are you speaking to, darling?”
Slowly, my mum walked towards me, eventually kneeling down beside me. As she headed towards me, I looked at the bed again. Annabel had gone, disappeared. That was odd, I hadn’t seen her leave.
My mum tried to force a smile, and she eventually got out an un-encouraging one. Even at seven years old, I could tell which smiles of hers were fake, and which ones were real.
“Annabel.” I answered happily. “She’s very pretty mummy. She looks like you.”
The second I’d finished speaking, my mum’s entire face dropped. I could see * pools of water gathering in her tired eyes. She was completely silent.
I tried easing the atmosphere, I didn’t like feeling awkward.
“She’s got long, black, plaited hair.” I said. “And she was wearing a nice white summer dress, and some white sandals. She was singing Yellow Submarine as well. She’s gone now, though.”
Still silent, my mum continued staring into space. A few seconds later, she looked at me.
“Don’t be silly!” She snapped.
She suddenly came back to life, but not in the way I would have liked. Her lip began quivering again, and her eyes looked wild. My mum was angry with me now. Why was I making everyone angry with me (this doesn't sound very good. try "upset.") that day?
Grabbing my arm, a little too firmly, she lifted me up off * the floor. She pulled me out of the room, against my own will, and took me down the stairs. As we were more or less ran down the stairs, I heard my mum mutter something under her breath.
“You didn’t even know your sister.”
I was going to say something back to her, but then I decided not to. She was angry * with me as it was, I didn’t want to make it any worse. * I felt so confused.
Ten minutes later, my mum, my nan, my sister Lisa, and I were sitting in the living room together. I was bored stiff. They were talking about grown up stuff, I didn’t care about grown up stuff, I just wanted to get back to my trains. I was fiddling with the button on my mum’s jeans* when I noticed Annabel.
She was sitting down, the same way as she was earlier, except this time she was sat on the end of my sofa. She smiled at me, and I then smiled back. Glancing up at my mum, then turning back to Annabel, I opened my mouth.
"Why are you here?" I mouthed at her.
Again, Annabel didn’t answer me, although* this time, she did giggle to herself.
I glanced up at my mum again, to check that she wasn’t looking. Relieved, I looked back to the end of the sofa. Annabel had gone. Completely vanished. Rather angry now, I pulled a face, and dove(that verb doesn't make sense here) my head into my mum’s chest. I’d almost fallen asleep* when I heard a familiar, gentle voice.
“To look after you.” Annabel whispered.

So! I liked this. It definitely has potential. However, you need to work on you comma usage, you tend to overuse them. Also, you wanted advice for your title? I don't like either. I'd think of something different. It sometimes helps to finish the story first, and then choose. Up to you. This does have potential, and I can't wait to read the next part.

Cheers,
Dreamy :smt040
Honey, you should see me in a crown.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:38 pm
View Likes
Mr.Knightley says...

Hi Skins! I'm here to review like you asked me to. Let's get started!

First off, I agree with Dreamy that you need to work on your comma usage. I think you use them too often and in the wrong places, sometimes. Here is an example:

They were talking about grown up stuff, I didn’t care about grown up stuff, I just wanted to get back to my trains.

You have several ways to fix this; use whichever one you think continues the flow of the story the best and the smoothest. :) They are:

They were talking about grownup stuff. I didn't care about grownup stuff. I just wanted to get back to my trains.

That one is a little bland, and it sounds like a list of words just being read off. Maybe...

They were talking about grownup stuff, and I didn't care to listen. I just wanted to get back to my trains.

This one reads a little better, but doesn't really change the punctuation much. Either one works, but the point I was making was this: you tend to use the comma where there should really be a period. If there are two separate ideas on either side of the punctuation mark (example: Her hair was blowing in the breeze/It fell flat as the wind died out), then use a period or a semi-colon ( ; ) to separate them. Just never the comma. :D

Other than that, though, I really enjoyed this! You put a great mystery about the main character's sister (is the MC a boy or a girl?), and I was surprised to know that she was actually dead. At least that's what I think is going on. ;) Great work! :smt003

If you have any questions or would like another review, please feel free to PM me.

-Knightley
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:15 pm
Sins says...

Thanks for the reviews guys :)

I've noticed that I have an issue with commas. I always have, it's really annoying! Practice makes perfect I suppose!

The MC's a boy by the way Knightley!

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:28 pm
Esmé says...

Hello,

My main problem with this piece is that it's wordy, terribly wordy in terms of tails in the beginning. There are so many of them in sentences that at one point I'd rather hang myself on that tail than trip over another one!

Paragraph one/two tails: "that is", "I believe", "after all". Sometimes tails balance sentences, othertimes rhey give it rhythm. Sometimes they just look nice. In sufficient quantities, not in sprees. For a distant tone, of someone looking back at events and life it works too, but again not so many!

The first few paragraphs - they were confusing. The MCknowit'ssister/not at first/older sister called Annabel? Last piece of dialogue threw me off most. Did she tell him on slash two, between not knowing at first and continuing?

Wordy is also the whole part with the sister - or rather, her description (apart from me not getting the first dialogue batch). Consider little doses (sprinkles throughout part instead of bulky)? Me, I skimmed over it to tell you the truth. I didn't care enough for the character at that beginning point to care for how she looked. Later I got interested yes, but not at that point. And I had already skimmed!

Ten minutes is terribly precise. Go vague.

Seven-year old "somehow offending" - from perspective, yes, maybe emphasise that perspectibe thing again. Kind of stood out to me.

Plot is terrific and attention grabbing, A's exit marvelous. Ghost sister/angry mother work well as characters. Dialogue punctuation's a pity, though.

Esme

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:03 pm
ofir says...

I know you already got a lot of reviews, but I couldn't help myself. This was really good. I liked it a lot. Well, anyways, as long as you fix that, I thought it was very good:
Maxxie really did sound like a child. I liked how you wrote 'I was confused' instead of trying to describe it otherwise. I think that was very childlike, not to have many outright thoughts, more like emotions. Very nice. What I found confusing though, was that I didn't realize that the one speaking was a boy. I was sure it was a little girl until the Mother said Maxxie, and even then, some parents would choose that name for a girl. And some little girls like to play with trains [I suppose :) ].So maybe more hints.
I liked the sister's character [what we get to see of it anyways. The song thing was brilliant], though her description reminded me of Twilight [meaning it was just too perfect, even for a supernatural creature.] I think you could tone it down a bit.
I liked the Mother too. She sounds believable and I think that her role was written well. Every Mother would snap like that, even just remembering.
Oh, another thing I didn't like was that you add Maxxie's voice in present tense in the flashback. You said something along the lines of 'it was hard for her... around this time of year. Still is now, just remembering...." Something like that, right? [I know it's not perfect, but I hope you understand.] I really don't like the Still is now line because we're [the readers] in a flashback. It draws us back to reality, thinking, oh, so what's changed, when we actually need to focus on the story.
Other than that, I like this so much. I know you have a lot of reviews, but I just really had to add it because it was really really good. Very talented.
Ofir
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:14 pm
View Likes
Blink says...

A little late, but I'm here as requested!

As I watched her, I realised immediately that she was different.

She doesn't look different from our viewpoint - from what you've described. She's pretty hot, apparently, but that's about it; it's much better if you let the reader decide for themselves.

“What’s your name?” I asked, putting one of my trains down.
“Annabel.” She grinned back.
“My sister was called Annabel?” I continued. “I think it’s a funny name.”
“I know.” She replied simply. “I think it’s a nice name.”

As kids, we're told never to use the word "said". Apparently, it's boring. In actual fact, when it comes to writing, it's one of the best words you have. It's invisible, and it just hints at who said what. If you ask me, if the reader cannot tell how something should be said in how it's phrased, it needs to be reworded (generally, at least). So use "said", unless it's vital. :wink:

Oh, and your dialogue punctuation is a little off. Have a read up on the rules from Snoink's handy guide: topic19430.html

Anyway - I dislike nitpicks. So here we go.

I agree that the start of the story is far too wordy. You're not saying a whole lot, and use far too many adjectives and adverbs to get the message across. It also makes Annabel seem too real for the ambiguity that would make her seem more believable as the kind of guardian or ghost thingy that she is.

I'd recommend your didn't write this in hindsight. That is, instead of saying "I was seven when..." just go right in and describe what was going on. Then try and use a more childlike voice, as right now things like Thomas just seem completely out of place. This is one of those things that makes the characters seem so unbelievable. A similar thing goes for the mother:

“You didn’t even know your sister.”

I would have thought she would be frightened or surprised more than anything else. The scene would have been so much effective if you'd just taken away her dialogue from after she asks who the girl was talking to - right now, the reader knows what is wrong with her seeing a girl on the bed, whereas the narrator does not.

Generally, make the characters, apart from the speaker, more mysterious; we should only know and understand what the narrator does. Otherwise, we can't really relate to the characters. You want to know whether this has potential? Of course it does. From the first few paragraphs it's impossible to say where it's heading; so long as this isn't just an annoying "guardian saves girl" stories, it's all good, could go anywhere.

Hope I helped! PM me if you've any questions. :)

Best,
Blinky
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Reviews: 1
Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:38 am
mrs.emmettcullen says...

When you say: "My sister was called Annabel?"
i dont understand why you would use a question mark in this. It seems like more of a statment!

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:39 am
MiaParamore says...

Hi Skins. I am here as requested. I really loed this story of yours. It's so refreshing. I had planned to read ti before but just forget about it. But now I am finally here.
First the grammatical errors:
I could tell she was nice though and she made me feel happy and comfortable.

I tried easing the atmosphere. How did she ease the atmosphere? Tell us that. I didn’t like feeling awkward.

She was sitting down, the same way as she was earlier, except this time she was sat sitting on the end of my sofa.

Annabel? Really this is an unique name. Okay is the narrator a boy because Maxie sounds like a boy's name. I don;t have more to say so just going ahead with you next part. :D

KEEP WRITING!! :elephant:
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 pm
Yusshin says...

I haven't rooted through the reviews above; I'll just post what I found.

Skins wrote:I didn’t know that she was my sister at first, I didn’t even know where she’d come from

Comma splice. That comma should be, preferably, a semi-colon, or a dash if you want.

Skins wrote:“What’s your name?” I said, putting one of my trains down.

You should change this to "asked", "enquired", or "questioned". The word "Said" doesn't really describe what you're meaning here.

Skins wrote:"Annabel,” She grinned back.

The bold "She grinned back" is a statement, and not a description of how she says "Annabel"; therefore, the comma after "Annabel" should be a period.

Skins wrote:"I know(.)” She said simply. “I think it’s a nice name.”

That period in parenthesis should be a comma, for the sentence after the quotation mark isn't a statement. It's a descriptive phrase of how the word is being said.

Skins wrote:“Do you want to come and play trains with me?” I asked hopefully. “You can be Thomas The Tank if you want, I don’t mind.”

"The" shouldn't be capitalized. This should read "Thomas the Tank".

Skins wrote:“No thank you(,)” Her voice was so sweet(,) it sounded as if she was still singing.

In parenthesis, that comma should be a period. The sentence after, "Her voice was so sweet", is a separate sentence.

The second comma is a comma splice. Again, a semi-colon would be great here.

Skins wrote:Annabel once again smiled,

It would be better to say "Annabal smiled once again". The way you flipped the phrase makes it sound a bit awkward.

Skins wrote:That was odd(,) I hadn’t see her leave.

Comma splice again. A semi-colon would be great here, too.

Skins wrote:I tried easing the atmosphere(,) I didn’t like feeling awkward.

Another comma splice. Use a semi-colon or reconstruct the phrase like so:

"I tried easing the atmosphere, for I didn’t like feeling awkward."

Skins wrote:“She’s got long black hair,” I said. “And she was wearing a nice white summer dress, and some white sandals. She’s gone now though.”

I suggest adding more description to how that was being said. Since he's remembering her features, why not write:

“She’s got long black hair,” I said, remembering her features clearly, “and she was wearing a nice white summer dress, and some white sandals. She’s gone now though.”

I fixed that "and", too, in the modified sentence. Note the comma before the quotation mark at that first "and".

Skins wrote:“Don’t be silly!” She snapped.

That "S" in "She" should be lower-case.

Skins wrote:“To look after you(.)” Annabel whispered.

That period in parenthesis should be a comma.

Overview

All-in-all, pretty good! I do enjoy this kind of book. You made it flow very well; there are just some small things, like comma splices, that you need to watch for.

Great work.
Praise Allah! For with Him,
I will accomplish great things.
In'shallah!

Religion is not bad;
People are.
Religion doesn't kill;
People do.

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:42 pm
StoryWeaver13 says...

Hi there. :D

I was seven years old when I first met my older sister, my deceased older sister.

I would make this more dramatic, something like "I was seven years old when I first met my older sister...my deceased older sister." It just, I don't know, adds something.

I remember it as though it were yesterday.

All I could think was, "Oh, no, sounds like the beginning of one of my dad's "back when I was a kid" stories! This just doesn't work for me.

The next part's nice. I like the description of the older sister, but what's her first impression of her personality judging by appearance? Do her eyes show friendliness or light? Fear or regret? Also, how old does Annabel look? Then you introduce the other sister, Lisa. The middle child? Or older than Annabel was?

“To look after you,” Annabel whispered.
I didn’t know it at the time, but those four words would soon mean a lot. An awful lot.

Aww, that's a sweet way to end it.

Overall, this is a good start. Just give us some more depth. I can't wait 'til I have time to read the next chapters.
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:42 am
NinjaCookieMonster says...

I really like it! It's really good, I didn't even notice the grammatical mistakes. It's really intriguing and interesting, like at the beginning of a movie right before they show the title and stuff. I liked the main character, he seemed sweet and cute. I can't wait to read more!
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:48 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Okkkkkkkkkkay now. Hi Skins! Just read your first chapter and all the comments and there's one thing I just don't get.

You begin by saying that he just met his older sister. So, he's never met her? She says her name is Annabel, the same name as his sister. Ok, so we get that he's never met her. Why? How come? She seems to be 14, which is the age she died? Then she is really his MUCH older sister if he's never met her, right? Then, why was his mom crying? I was under the impression at first that she was mourning the death of her daughter, but apparently not if he didn't know her. Am I making any sense here?

Also, I don't know why she dragged Maxxie all the way downstairs for an 'adult's conversation'. Was it because she was worried that he was imagining things and she wanted to keep an eye on him? Was it because they were discussing his lying/imagining as a family? This should be mentioned because it's confusing.

I really enjoyed the last sentence and you really have me hooked on your story. I'll go check out the second chapter now...

Tanya :D

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Thu May 06, 2010 12:21 am
Jas says...

Hey. I saw this on the new posts and decided to check it out. So far, really good. I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it. I like the MC being 7. I like the freaky ghost aspect and I definitely like the Beatles song! :) I see everyone's has gotten the grammar stuff done so I'll talk about the story itself.

I'm not sure if this is going to be one of those "creepy dead ghost sister stalks me everywhere and tries to protect me from some freaky monster thing" sort of story but I really hope it's not. The ending was the most epic cliffhanger ever so kudos on that! :D
I don't understand why the mother would bring the MC downstairs just to begin talking about "grown-up stuff". Well. That's about all I have to say. That was probably theworst review ever....sorryfor my bad reviewing =_( Lol. This was amazing. Keep writing!

~Jasmine Bells~
Peace, Love, Writing and Music
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

You cannot understand and disagree.
— P. D. Ouspensky