z

Young Writers Society

TimeKeeper

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:49 pm
captain.classy says...

I don't know where this is going... it would be nice if people told me if they liked it or not. <3

Classy

“…and loving wife,” the pastor said, then closed his book. Christopher studied the many pages, wondering what wondrous things were contained between those thin paper strips.
“Christopher,” someone said, breaking him from his subconscious slumber. To him, this all seemed like a dream, one terrible, painstaking dream. He turned around to the person who owned the hand that was comforting his shoulder. A line of people, standing two by two, were watching him, waiting to see what he would do next.
Christopher cleared his throat. “Thank you all for coming. If you don’t mind, I’d like to be alone with my wife.”
And as if he were Moses, everyone parted and walked away, not looking back. Christopher heard their spoken thoughts, how they all pitied him, felt sorry. But why was there a reason to feel sorry? Because one day out of his lovely life with Ava was filled with sorrow? No; life with her was grand.
Christopher sat down a few feet from the grave, as he watched the cemetery workers lower her chestnut coffin down the deep hole, the deep whole where she would rest forever.
He turned his head slightly to the left, where an empty hole was positioned. That was his place in the world, in the earth, next to Ava.
“Sir,” one of the gardeners whispered, “It looks like it’ll rain soon, you might want to take cover.”
Christopher just shook his head. “I’ll be fine.”
He looked up at the sky. Gray and white mixtures seemed so perfect on that day. They comforted his mood. He hoped that maybe the clouds were so thick because Ava was watching him from heaven, and she needed cover.
Ava was in the ground now, and there was no way to pull her back up as the workers took away the green material that had brought her down. Christopher stood up. He just wanted to make sure they didn’t scratch the coffin.
“We’re sorry for you loss,” one worker spoke for all of them. Christopher nodded and smiled as they walked away. No matter how many times he told himself she was in a better place, that she was happy, the tears appeared.
Oh, how much he would miss her.
Christopher sat down once again on the grass. He looked all around him, into the horizon. For as far as he could see, there were graves. How many people around the world were going through this at the same time as him? How many of them did he want with him, so they could comfort each other? All of them.
The rain started to pour, and their seemingly gray drops hid anywhere farther than three feet from him. So he was forced to check on Ava again.
Should he speak now?
Christopher stood up and walked to the grave again. He must have looked like a mad man, sitting and standing, then sitting and standing again.
He took off his baseball cap and held it to his navy blue rain coat. “Sorry I couldn’t find more formal attire, but you know how I am.” He looked down at his feet. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there to get you to the hospital. But, I figure you didn’t want that. You chose to die alone, and that’s fine with me, if it makes you happy.
“I never knew how much this would hurt. You taught me so many things, Ava, and without you, I would have never been able to live. Remember our first real date when you told me, ‘You never know who you are until you lose the person who does?’ Well, you were right. Standing here, I know who I am. I’m only one thing, and have only ever been one thing. I’m yours, Ava.”
Christopher paused.
“You owned me, whether you know it or not. And now that you’re gone, I don’t know what to do! I have no friends; you were the only one I needed. Maddie is off at war, and Tony is still in Europe. They don’t know yet. I don’t know how to tell them… They love their mother so much,” Christopher cried.
“You asked me to spread your ashes in the sea. Well, Caroline wouldn’t let me, no matter how many times I told her that’s what you wanted. She told me you never wanted that. She doesn’t know you like I do.
“So I have your ring.” Christopher reached in his coat pocket and pulled out a golden ring with a heart at the tip. “The first thing I ever gave you.” He massaged it with his fingertips. “I’m driving to Seattle tomorrow. From there, I’ll find someone at a marina, and ask them to take me out as far as they want, because I don’t care how far. I will drop it in there for you. I hope that’s good enough.”
Christopher picked up a rose from beside the grave, and kissed its velvet peddles. “I love you, and will always love you.” He tossed it in, and never looked back.

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:35 pm
crescent says...

Hi Classy!!! :smt003 I shall be your first reviewer for TimeKeeper. When I first saw the title I thought it'd be something sci-fi with time traveling and stuff.
You nearly made me cry with this story. It was quite touching. I really want to know what this couple's history is now, why he loved his wife so much.
Here's all I found:
“We’re sorry for you loss,” one worker spoke for all of them.

Typo, "you" should be "your".

-Cressy :smt003
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:48 am
Lava says...

Hey Classeh!

Well, this is nice, but there's something that nags me. Let me re-read and think over it.

Actually it's very good. I like what you've written and your start. And that nagging bit is probably because I'm not sure of the MC yet. I feel like he has a lot more to offer.
Should he speak now?
Maybe a little insight on why he takes a little time to do so would be helpful.

Anyway, really good work.
~Lava
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:46 am
portersrose says...

A couple words of advice (and some impossible questions) that basically all mean the same thing:

ONE- Dude, seriously, how do you write so well? I mean I went to like 5 different camps and classes, but I'm still pretty sure I can't write as well as you do, captivating.

TWO- I've read all of you're stories, some I comment, some I don't, either way you should know that I love them all.

THREE- YOU'RE A GOOD WRITER KEEP IT UP!

~Hugs,
Rose
If you're mad at someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes.

There's no half-singing in the shower, you're either
a rock star or an opera diva.

:3 ROSE WUZ HERE :3

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:01 pm
Hawkie says...

Hi again. =)

This is good. Very moving.

Just a few nitpicky things -

He must have looked like a mad man

"Madman" is actually one word . . .

navy blue rain coat.

. . . and so is "raincoat."

How many of them did he want with him, so they could comfort each other? All of them.

I like this part.

Keep writing!

-Hawks-

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:10 am
peanutgallery007 says...

Here to review, finally. Please excuse my tardiness… I’ve been pretty busy these past few days.

And as if he were Moses, everyone parted and walked away, not looking back. Christopher heard their spoken thoughts, how they all pitied him, felt sorry. But why was there a reason to feel sorry? Because one day out of his lovely life with Ava was filled with sorrow? No; life with her was grand. [This part totally takes the sadness out of it all... why is he okay? His wife just died. I doubt it would only be ONE day filled with sorrow. Losing a loved one lasts much longer than one single day.]
Christopher sat down a few feet from the grave, as he watched the cemetery workers lower her chestnut coffin down the deep hole, the deep whole where she would rest forever.
He turned his head slightly to the left, where another empty hole was positioned; that was his place in the world, in the earth, next to Ava.
“Sir,” one of the gardeners whispered, “it looks like it’ll rain soon; you might want to take cover.”
Christopher just shook his head. “I’ll be fine.”
He looked up at the sky. Gray and white mixtures seemed so perfect on that day. They comforted his mood. He hoped that maybe the clouds were so thick because Ava was watching him from heaven, and she needed cover.
Ava was in the ground now, and there was no way to pull her back up as the workers took away the green material tarp[?] that had brought her down. Christopher stood up. He just wanted to make sure they didn’t scratch the coffin.
“We’re sorry for your loss,” one worker spoke for all of them. Christopher nodded and smiled as they walked away. No matter how many times he told himself she was in a better place, that she was happy, the tears appeared.
Oh, how much he would miss her.
Christopher sat down once again on the grass. He looked all around him, into the horizon. For as far as he could see, there were graves. How many people around the world were going through this at the same time as him? How many of them did he want with him, so they could comfort each other? All of them.
The rain started to pour, and their seemingly gray drops hid anywhere farther than three feet from him. So he was forced to check on Ava again.
Should he speak now?
Christopher stood up and walked to the grave again. [He never left the side of her grave. How is it possible to walk BACK over when he never left?] He must have looked like a mad man, sitting and standing, then sitting and standing again.
He took off his baseball cap and held it to his navy blue rain coat. “Sorry I couldn’t find more formal attire, but you know how I am.” He looked down at his feet. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there to get you to the hospital. But, I figure you didn’t want that. You chose to die alone, and that’s fine with me, if it makes you happy.
“I never knew how much this would hurt. You taught me so many things, Ava, and without you, I would have never been able to live. Remember our first real date when you told me, ‘You never know who you are until you lose the person who does?’ Well, you were right. Standing here, I know who I am. I’m only one thing, and have only ever been one thing. I’m yours, Ava.”
Christopher paused.
“You owned me, whether you know it or not. And now that you’re gone, I don’t know what to do! I have no friends; you were the only one I needed. Maddie is off at war, and Tony is still in Europe. They don’t know yet. I don’t know how to tell them… They love their mother so much,” Christopher cried.
“You asked me to spread your ashes in the sea. Well, Caroline wouldn’t let me, no matter how many times I told her that’s what you wanted. She told me you never wanted that. She doesn’t know you like I do.
“So I have your ring.” Christopher reached in his coat pocket and pulled out a golden ring with a heart at the tip. “The first thing I ever gave you.” He massaged it with his fingertips. “I’m driving to Seattle tomorrow. From there, I’ll find someone at a marina, and ask them to take me out as far as they want, because I don’t care how far. I will drop it in there for you. I hope that’s good enough.”
Christopher picked up a stray rose from beside the grave, and kissed its velvet peddles. “I love you, and will always love you.” He tossed it in, and never looked back. [That makes it sound like he didn't love her as much as he said so. I'd get rid of that and replace it with something else.]

Anyway, I did like this story, and I wouldn't go anywhere with it; it seems best to leave it as a short story, because it seems the plot ends here. Anyway, I hope I helped you to edit a bit before you entered the contest but I don't know... :P at least there were some reviews before mine. (I didn't read those other reviews yet. XD)

So, PM me if you have any questions. (:
~Peanut
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:46 am
Forgotpzwrd says...

one thing that i like in the beginning of every story is how it keeps me wondering things, like how'd she died? how old are the characters? and is he going to go back time to probably save her or be with her when she meet her demise... hmm..

in other words, i like the story! and the title! keep it up!
What if you found yourself lost and helpless in a foreign place, and in desperate need of help. Would you accept a marriage proposal from a stranger? or walk away instead?

~~Star~~
part1
topic58343.html

part2
topic59140.html

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:51 am
babymagic18 says...

I really enjoyed reading this piece it actually pulled at my heart strings. I read a lot of other peoples work but none like yours. It was really good. I really believe you should pursue a writing career. Who knows you might get as good as Nickolas sparks. Anyway, great job. I look forward to reading more of your work. :D

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:43 am
Maddy says...

Nice, Classy.
One thing that annoyed me and didn't make sense was this line:
How many of them did he want with him, so they could comfort each other? All of them.

"Huh?"
Please reword this, I do not understand what you are trying to say.
But anyway, good job!
-Maddy
-If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!
-"Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it might be another train coming."

This awesome post bought to you by me. :)

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah