Young Writers Society

Computer Generated Imagery

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:26 pm
Elinor says...

Premise

Computer Generated Imagery, or GGI, revolutionized the art of film-making when it was created. Special effects could be created without much hard work, fantasy and sci-fi movies were no longer problems, actors only needed to lend their voices—it was for these and many other reasons that CGI became the preferred medium of filmmakers.

As the years went by, advancements came about. In the early 21st century, it was usually fairly easy to tell if something came out of a computer. Over the years, as CGI slowly began to take over live-action films, things were looking bleak for actors. As live theater was dead, many couldn't find work. An academy award for best actor or actress hardly meant anything. By 2033, films were entirely CGI. That had been done before, but it was very different.

Now, actors no longer needed to lend their voices. The computer would create that. Costume designers, prop and set designers were no longer needed. It was impossible tell if a film came out of a computer, so this had heavy benefits for the film-makers, and disastrous effects for everyone else.

A few actors, either through their memory or through history books, yearned for what it was like before. They saw young men and women wishing to have careers in acting and felt sorry for them. And it was those people who decided to act. Bring it back to what it was like before.

Information

This storybook will be limited to 8 people, divided as follows:

-4 Filmmakers
Ages: (35-70)
-4 Actors
Ages: (20-40)

I will be taking applications in the Discussion Thread until next Friday, March 19th. At that time, I will pick eight people to be in the storybook, but just try to remember to keep the ratio of filmmakers to actors even. You can find the character palette there.

Until then, lets see how everything goes!

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:26 am
Kaywiia says...

Are we going to do this?
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:09 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

*Moved up to the front page* :smt068 :smt043 :smt072

*Smiley dodges projectiles like Neo from the movie The Matrix*
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:37 am
Elinor says...

Thanks A.M.

Would anyone like to start this? I really don't.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 pm
Kaywiia says...

By the way, I changed my Rose's picture in the character outline.

Rose

I walk along the narrow hallways of studio B, looking for Hunter.

"Hey!" I say, finally finding him in the costume room.

"Oh, hi Rose." He says. Me and Hunter had been friends for quite a while, ven before we started working on bringing the real movies back to life. We had both starred in 'What Happens Next'. That was when I had first met him.

"Have you been told what your wearing yet?" I ask, pulling an ugly blue dress off the rack, shivering, and then walking on.

"Uh, no, not yet. I think the're telling us after dinner."

"Lets hope I don't have to wear this." I say, showing him the dress. He makes a face. We both laugh.

"Rose Willams, please report to Stage B-6." A director calls over the anouncements. It was ironic how me and Hunter both had the same last name. More than slightly freaky, actually. I wave, and run out of the room.

Mr. Steven, the man I had accidently spilled coffee on so long ago, sat in the directors chair. He tosses me a script.

"Show me Scene Three, section two." He says through his megaphone. He used it almost all the time, just to be funny, I think.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:35 pm
captain.classy says...

[Miss Ruby Kip]

I was walking down the hall when someone snuck up from behind me. I twirled around, only to see the beautiful Brair standing behind me.

"Oh, hey." I started walking again, and she caught up with me.

"You're still coming tonight, right?" she asked. I knew what she was talking about. The meeting... the meeting to end all Computer Generated Imagery. It would be held at Blake's Coffee shop. I guess Blake was a close friend of Brair's and would keep out conversations a secret.

But I didn't trust it... any of it! Sure I missed the days when movies meant something, and actors were needed, but what can a small group like us do? Petition? Not my style...

"Uh... not sure. I might have a hair appointment."

She stopped and folded her arms. "A hair appointment? You want to miss the first meeting of the revolution for a hair appointment?"

I sighed, drying to act dramatic. "My hair is very important to me."

She stepped closer to me and got in my face, trying to intimidate me. "Be there, 7 PM," she said, then walked away.

I wish I could say I had no choice, but I wasn't afraid of Brair. Still... some excitement, some danger might be a relief. Maybe some adventure? I longed for adventure.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Wed May 19, 2010 2:15 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

I was perched up on the peer, like a hawk, overseeing the water below. This would have been a fantastic shot for an actor. I sighed and let my eyelids envelope me in darkness. Well, OK, it wasn't darkness as the sun made the world behind my lids blazing red. But I didn't care. Life seen through open eyes was also red. Red was once used to symbolize communism. For me, it still was, but for the film world.

The days of using living, breathing people for movies was over. The digital age had started a revolution and conquered the film industry. Now, no matter how talented an actor or actress was, they could not use their actual bodies to play a role. Of course, they could be used as voice overs and motion capture, but being in the actual final shot as the person that you really were was a fossil of the past.

I opened my eyes and I studied the luminescent surface of the sea before I set foot back on solid ground. I shoved my hands in my pockets and set course for home.

"Yo ho yo ho, I'm now my own Captain. No longer can I tell my actors to do their best as they will be contenders for the Best Performance. Now all they can hope to win is Best Voice Over.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

*gestures in butterfly meme*
— BluesClues