z

Young Writers Society

Icefire - part 4

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:19 am
Ranger Hawk says...

Okay, I know it's been just about forever since I've posted, but between the Olympics and tons of exams, I haven't really thought about posting the continuation.

To briefly get caught up for those of you who have read it, Lynn (a 16 year old spy apprentice from the iceland Tjaele) has stolen a precious, supposedly powerful gem. He's now escaping from the castle where he stole it from. I guess if you want to read the previous posts, just click on the "See related items" link and you'll see them. :smt003

Anyways, all comments and critiques are much appreciated! Thanks!

*Rated 12+ for some mild violence

Icefire, part four

There was a rush of adrenaline as he fell through the air and then he landed painfully on his side, his legs curled and arms tucked in so as to not break a limb. But the impact still jarred his entire body, and he felt that he was going to be sick. But a sudden yell from the nearby guard galvanized him into action and he scrambled to his feet.
“Hey!” the guard yelled. The icicle that Lynn had been holding had survived the leap, and he flicked it toward the guard with a swift movement of his wrist. The icicle changed in midair to a fair-sized, double-ended spearhead, imbedded itself into the guard’s chest, and the man fell.
Lynn leaped forward, pulled the icespear from the body, and turned to the walls. By now the knowledge that there was an intruder on the loose had gotten around to almost all of the guards, and there were yells as men rushed around. Lynn kept in the shadows, breathing heavily, as he made his way to the other side of the bailey, where the guards were the least likely to look. Once the body was found, there would be a commotion on that side of the keep, and that was just what Lynn wanted.
A sharp yell let him know that the fallen guard had been found, and several men rushed past. Lynn took a quick look and then rushed to the other side of the wall, where he pulled out a rope with a loop that he had had around his waist. Lynn threw it up, hoping to snag it on the projecting crenellation. It missed its mark by several feet. Lynn hurriedly pulled the rope back and tried again, this time almost touching the rock. His breathing was becoming more painful, and his entire left side felt as if it was on fire. He glanced over his shoulder and saw a vague shadowy shape far away. He turned and threw the rope once again, and this time it caught. Abandoning all caution, he began to climb.
His side ached and burned with every movement, but he gritted his teeth and continued on. There was a yell from behind him when he was almost at the top and he knew he had been seen. With a mighty last heave he was up on the wall. He pulled up the rope, tossed it over onto the other side of the wall, and slid down it, the rope burning his hands as he did so. As soon as he reached the end he let go and fell again on the ground. A small yelp of pain escaped his lips, and then he was up and running. He kept to the shadows of the street, slowing up as he neared the houses. He then walked at a normal pace, wrapping the cloak tightly around him and trying to bear the excruciating pain as best he could.
Suddenly there was a movement to his right, and before Lynn could react someone had wrapped a hand around his mouth and held a dagger to his heart. The person dragged him backwards into a dark alley as he struggled to free himself. Lynn felt the connection of his right elbow into the person’s side as he jabbed as hard as he could, and then he was dropped roughly onto the ground. Lynn fell with a grunt of pain and lay still as the person knelt over him. The shadows prevented him from seeing the face, but he could tell that the person had a cloak on.
“Where is it?” a voice rasped, and Lynn knew that it was a girl, even though she tried to disguise the fact.
“Where is it?” she repeated, shaking him.
Lynn coughed and croaked, “Where’s what?”
“Don’t play ignorant,” the girl hissed. “The Gem. Give it to me and I’ll leave you here. Alive.”
“I don’t know what—”
“Stow it. I saw you. Yes, I did. You’re not the only spy here you know.” She reached into his pouch and pulled out the jewel. A small hiss of satisfaction left her lips and Lynn felt the dagger press against his neck as he raised an arm to ward her away. He winced as he felt the unnatural heat of its blade against his skin, and he lay still.
“Farewell, Tjaelean,” the girl said, and then rushed away. Lynn didn’t bother to follow her; he knew that she would be able to evade him, and he lay still, in agonizing pain.
I have to get back, he thought, and slowly rose as he did so. He pulled himself to his feet and froze as he heard the shouts of men as they saw something.
Lynn stayed in the alley as four guards rushed past, then he staggered out and made his way to the inn as quietly as he could. He went around to the side and opened the window to his room. He clambered in, shut the window and shutters, and then threw himself onto the bed, letting out a noise of suppressed pain as he did so. He pulled his cloak, pack, and belt off, bundled them into a pile, and shoved them underneath the bed. With a sigh, he lay down to drift off to sleep, images of an irate Vergal dancing through his head.
~~~~~

Amber swung onto her horse and galloped down the street. She knew the guards would be following her, but she didn’t care. As long as she was able to escape from the city, she would be safe. Flame was the fastest steed alive, and besides she knew several routes that would leave the guards lost. If she could just reach the gate in time…
A guard was blocking her way with a drawn sword. Without slowing Flame down, Amber pulled out her already-winched crossbow and shot the firebolt at the man. The iron head of the bolt skipped lightly over the little piece of flint that was right at the front of the crossbow, not enough to cause any hindrance, but enough to make the bolt head burst into flames as it left the crossbow runner. Amber’s aim was somewhat sloppy considering her standard of training; it hit the man in the arm, but as long as he was taken out of commission for a few seconds, Amber didn’t care. The man fell, yelling, and she passed by him in a flash, Flame’s flint hooves making sparks on the road. Amber saw the gate approaching fast, and she drew out her firebomb and flung it at the gates. It hit the doors and burst, making them crumble into little pieces of rock. Amber galloped away into the night, leaving the flaming ruins of the wall behind her.
Last edited by Ranger Hawk on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:28 am
LittlePetRock says...

Hey Ranger!!
I love this story. It combines three of my favorite things, spies, fantasy, and medieval times! I found a few grammar mistakes. Luckily no nit-picks to blabber about.
I shall review this in perfect purple!

“Hey!” The guard yelled.I'm not sure if this rule of thumb applies to where you are from but in America we always capitalize the first letter after dialogue.

“Don’t play ignorant,” the girl hissed. “the Gem. Give it to me and I’ll leave you here. Alive.” The beginning bit of dialogue here was separated by a comma, therefore capitalization on 'the' is not required.

I have to get back. He thought, ... Most thought is put in italicised font.
Star light; star bright,
It is time to take flight.
Off I go through the dark of night.
All my hopes and dreams in sight.

225 Reviews

Reviews: 225
Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:38 pm
Spitfire says...

Hey there RH! I thought I had read this one since you hadn't posted in a while, but decided to check and saw this was a new one :lol: So here I go...

Ranger Hawk wrote:Amber pulled out her already-winched crossbow and shot the firebolt at the man. The iron head of the bolt skipped lightly over the little piece of flint that was right at the front of the crossbow, not enough to cause any hindrance, but enough to make the bolt head burst into flames as it left the crossbow runner. Amber’s aim was somewhat sloppy considering her standard of training; it hit the man in the arm, but as long as he was taken out of commission for a few seconds, Amber didn’t care. The man fell, yelling, and she passed by him in a flash, Flame’s flint hooves making sparks on the road. Amber saw the gate approaching fast, and she drew out her firebomb and flung it at the gates. It hit the doors and burst, making them crumble into little pieces of rock. Amber galloped away into the night, leaving the flaming ruins of the wall behind her.

The one thing about this part is I found you said the name Amber too many times. Before that it was okay, but maybe using a couple pronouns or such would be good.

Other than that, I have nothing else to nitpick. I thought the chapter was great, albeit short, but good nonetheless. It's good that you rarely have mistakes, it lets you really get into the story!
So good job!
PM me for the next one :wink:
Got a story you'd like reviewed?
topic75101.html

Punctuation is the difference between "Let's eat, Grandma" and "Let's eat Grandma".

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:51 pm
kamorama says...

Wonderful! I love it when I get to read another piece of a story I like. SinceI haven't been on in awhile, I like being greeted with a story I know right off the bat! Now let's see, what did I like about your story...

First of all, I noticed that you took more care in adding details about your characters. C'est geant! I loved it. This time I really got the feel for the story and especially for your character. I like your extensive use of fire and ice, wonderful contrasts and comparisons.

The only thing that kind of bugged me was that I found this chapter had a little less explaining. Some of the things I couldn't understand as well. I don't know, maybe I just need to reread the other chapters... oh well. Thanks for the great story!
"'It is some time since I last heard the sound of your shears. How long have you been Eavesdropping?'

'Eavesdropping, sir? I don't follow you, begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End and that's a fact!'"

- Sam Gamgee and Gandalf the Grey. The Fellowship of the Ring, Pg. 70.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:27 pm
Tenyo says...

Review Part four

Presentation!
Where has it gone? Always double check your posts to make sure your like breaks are there and your paragraphs don't suddenly clump into this big mass of text. Masses of text are scary.
Don't forget to vary the length of your paragraphs, too. Adding speach in between, or thoughts that stand as their own paragraphs, help to break up the places where action seems to turn the scene into a plain narrative.

Who's Amber?
I am vaguely conneting the mystery girl from earlier, to the one who took the jewel, to Amber, but it's still quite uncertain. I think it might be better if you give her a name from the beginning, then it won't seem so strange when she suddenly acquires it later on.

On to part five :)
We were born to be amazing.

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
— Lewis Carroll