411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 pm
BenFranks says...

Extract from the "Preface".
Earth & its Contents
THE DICTIONARY

Note: Contains Mildly Strong Language

(Okay, before you go, “Oh dear, why on earth would I want to read a dictionary?” let me explain that this is basically another column, based on what I think of ‘stuff.’ – Enjoy.)

Apple:- Technically an apple is a piece of British fruit. If you’re not familiar with fruit may I suggest the following book: “Gillian McKeith’s You are what you eat” or “Bobby-lee Jones’ Diets For Dummies.” Other than it being fruit, it is also a context over-used by the surreal artist, Rene Magritte. If you haven’t heard of him it’s because he didn’t lose an ear or have a painting starred in “The Thomas Crown Affair.”

The Aussies:- Beautiful people, except when we play them at cricket. Then they’re suddenly all devils. The only problem with the Australians is the accent. Like a comedian once mentioned, they’re annoying and there is a firm uncertainty about everything they say. They make everything sound like a question. ‘nough said?

The British:- The kind of people who moan too much and yet still insist on queuing up for just about everything. They once had a little organization called the “British Empire”, however after the 1st World War, it all went ‘tits-up.’ The one positive thing about British people is the comedy. Our “Barmy Army” go to rugby games in Australia and whilst the Aussies chant, “You suck, we own” or something highly un-original, us British have an urge to chant the exchange rate and begin a sing-song of, “We get three dollars to the pound, yeah, we get three dollars to the pound!”

Cricket:- Cricket is a sport consisting of eleven Oxford-graduated playboys and eleven other dull people. It consists of a cricket ball and a plank of wood; generally labelled with a make or sponsor. Apparently, you have to hit the ball over a bit of rope and then someone from the Norwich Institute for Deprived Women will place a score of “runs” on a blackboard and the “Barmy Army” will cheer about it. Whoever has the most runs at the end wins a trophy marked, “Dullest bunch of arseholes.”

Doughnut:- A piece of dough, glazed in a kilogram of sugar and most likely funded by the Cuban drugs cartel. Sometimes these cost 65p, but when a bastard in corporate decides differently, you can save a total of 21p! I’d say ‘yay’ but I don’t want to waste my breath.

George Bush:- A puppet sold at most retailers.

The Guardian:- A newspaper consisting of few good articles. The primary aim of The Guardian is to convince everyone that it was edited by chipmunks and written by highly sarcastic "celebrities."

Football:- This is a game. It’s known to the Yanks, however, as “soccer.” The most annoying thing about football is the players. They earn about one million quid for every three steps they take during a game and that’s wonderfully stupid. The most irritating thing about it is when they get a kick in the shins, they dive to the floor, grip their knees, cry like they’re 6 months old and then moan about the opposing fans shouting “pussy” at them. Now, I don’t know about you, but for 80 million quid, I’d happily take a kick in the shins and the language abuse, but they can’t. All I can really say definition wise is: These idiots need to grow up and play a real game, like Rugby.

Russia:- (See "Big scary country over the otherside of the world, that used to be called the USSR but then something went pear-shaped, so now they're called Russia; what a L-O-L moment.")

- Dictionary Part 1, written in December 09.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Shearwater says...

Hey Ben! Thanks for the request! :)
I have to say, I really like this idea of a 'dictionary'
and as always, your humor entertains me.
There were a few things I didn't get but maybe it's because I'm not British :(
I agree with your thoughts on the Australians, I also think they're devils when playing cricket. I not exactly a cricket fan but my dad is, and I've seen them play a couple times.
I also laughed at George Bush's short definition. Can nothing describe him better? LOL
May I add the 'football' players? Ha-ha. I do enjoy soccer though, I just think they could be a bit more manly about it - sometimes. Rugby hurts.
Overall, I think you did a pretty neat job. I didn't spot many errors. I mean, what kind of errors am I looking for really? It's a dictionary so it must be right! Just kidding, but good job!
So about the unhelpfullness (not a word?) but then again, I'm really no good at reviewing these, I can just give my opinion and state the things I like :)
And I have to say, I did enjoy this.
Cheers!

~Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

411 Reviews

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:24 pm
BenFranks says...

Thankyou Pink! :)
Ben

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:07 pm
JSPike says...

Again, wonderful humour!

I didn't spot any grammatical or spelling errors, so all good there!

Like 'Pink' said, it's hard to review these in a critical way, especially as people have varying views on what's funny.

I think this was an ingenious idea, though there are much funnier topics to pick than 'apple', and I would have loved for it to be longer; but I saw at the bottom 'part 1', so I'm looking forward to more! :D

I loved that definition of the British with the exchange rate! :lol: Although sadly it's not what it used to be! :wink: You don't get much more British than a subjective view of your own country, and to be able to laugh at yourself!

Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more!
JSPike
Recognizing and rewarding writing talent: RW Competitions

Request reviews here: Requests

" All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing "
-- Edmund Burke

411 Reviews

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:14 pm
BenFranks says...

Cheers for the feedback Pike :D

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:06 am
Critiq says...

Devil's advocate time!

So before I start, just remember that I'm only reviewing this because it shows great potential, you are remarkably undull, and your writing is the only type I can stand to read at 8 o'clock at night without wanting to stab my eyelids while drowning in flowery metaphors and -gag- love triangles.

But I'm not sure I liked this piece very much. Something about the format irks me. It's just a string of jokes, which works in stand up comedy because it's a more intimate, un-intimidating thing but writing down a joke is about the biggest barrier there is. Thus, a string of jokes goes from relaxed fun to you having to write for your life, holding onto the reader tightly. Because, especially in writing, humor that doesn't go anywhere or have any direction is pretty pointless. Plus, it does lack a bit in the humor department. I'm not Canadian- I get your humor, your sarcasm, and I'm the least tightwad person there is. I mean, George Bush, the biggest joke in the world, and your definition just falls flat. Don't do the pseudo advertising with donut, it's lame. Try to play off the strengths of writing (aka literary devices, a little more freedom of format) to pick up where the weakness of writing (aka unclear sarcasm and lack of inflection in voice) bring down your humor. Overall, your humor doesn't seem bold or original, which is what makes comedy worth listening to and reading.

Also, whenever I stare at a blank wall I see British flags.

It seems you should either stick to columns or really make this your best, best work, because anything but your best and the reader is totally gone. In this format, your asking for it. PM me if you want clarification, but in summary, it works, its you, but for someone critical like me it just doesn't cut it right now. Your on the right track, though. Keep it up.

_critiq__
Spoiler! :
I like people thinking that I have something so scandalous to say that I put it in spoiler tags, and I'm sorry that because of this selfish desire you were roped into reading this for not real lasting value.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:25 pm
Tenyo says...

"George Bush:- A puppet sold at most retailers." Hehehe.

It's all funny, and very witty, but I'd suggest putting some light humour in there too, just to break it up a bit. You can only read so much of this stuff before it starts to drag. Nice idea though, I'll be interested to see how it continues.
We were born to be amazing.

411 Reviews

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:36 pm
BenFranks says...

Haha, thanks for the help guys. :)

Ben

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:52 pm
Moriah Leila says...

Yeah, I have to agree that this piece is rather difficult to critique. Basically everything on the side of constructive criticism that I was going to say, Critiq already said it. I really enjoyed the definitions for cricket and football, those made me laugh out loud. The rest were okay, not hilarious but not entirely terrible. I'm not really sure why you put the definition for Russia in parenthesis and italics, it confused me. Also I'd love it if you extended this dictionary. In my opinion, it is too short. Hopefully this has been slightly helpful.
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

411 Reviews

Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:29 am
BenFranks says...

Feedback's always helpful so thankyou! :D

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:02 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

George Bush:- A puppet sold at most retailers.

HA! Good one!

Russia:
- (See "Big scary country over the otherside of the world, that used to be called the USSR but then something went pear-shaped, so now they're called Russia; what a L-O-L moment.")

You are quite the hysterical character Ben! Glad you joined the Insane Writers. :D

Spoiler! :
Made you look! *Throws head back and laughs like a mad man*
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

411 Reviews

Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:54 am
BenFranks says...

Haha, thankyou AAAM :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 18
Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:06 am
MinisterOfHighHopes says...

Wonderfully entertaining as always.
This was a great idea to do a dictionary and I'm looking forward to "Dictionary Part Two"

By the way, where can I buy your book Ben?

-The Minister of High Hopes

411 Reviews

Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:28 am
BenFranks says...

It's not published yet (: but I'll notify you if it ever is XD

Random avatar

Reviews: 18

Time is money, money is power, power is pizza, and pizza is knowledge!
— April, Parks & Rec