z

Young Writers Society

And the Light Fades (chapter 1 part 1)

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:53 am
View Likes
peanut19 says...

This is the first part of the first chapter of my NaNoWriMo novel (it was too long to keep as one). The ending isn't the end of the chapter. I just thought I shouldn't put whole thing up at once.

~peanut~

I sit quietly, my foot tapping against the flashlight. It rolls back and forth as I kick it. Sophia doesn’t look at me; my cousin is busy. She stands with her eye pressed gently into the hole of the telescope. I know what she’s looking at, she told me; but I don’t see why she can’t just look up. The stars are falling above us, and she needs the telescope to see them. I can see them perfectly: tiny, silver, sparkles falling into the blackness where the land meets the sky.
I rip the grass up with my hands and watch the green pieces slip through the cracks between my open fingers. They land mismatched onto the grass that is still standing. I frown; it’s not as pretty to see the grass fall. I look up again. This time, Sophia is watching me, her water bottle in her hand.
There is a circle around her eye from the telescope hole; it is dark when the flashlight beams shines on it. I can see behind her as the telescope swivels on its stand and falls to a point at the ground. Water sloshes over the rim of her bottle, spraying onto her jeans as she runs to fix the star seer.
She looks back up to where the telescope pointed when she reset it. I jump when she gasps, interrupting the crickets that are chirping loudly down the hill. Quickly she grabs the green notebook beside her and the Finding Nemo pencil she took from my room before we left. She scribbles like crazy on the paper; I wait for her to rip a hole in it but am disappointed.
When she had grabbed the notebook from the ground, her hair came loose, red spirals poking out of the folds of the braid. She ignores the loose strands and just keeps writing. Then she stops.
She looks back up from the paper to the sky. I can imagine the stars’ reflections falling in her blue eyes. But I can’t see her face. I pull at the grass again. It’s not smooth; I can feel the grooves run up the green strand. As I pull it slides unwillingly between my thumb and index finger. The piece doesn’t want to come up. I yank a little harder and wait until it pops at the roots, shooting out of the ground to me.
Carefully, I put the blade of grass on top of my cat, who lies beside me on the blanket. Beaver doesn’t move, but her tail twitches in her sleep. The wind begins to start up. The grass swirls upward then falls across the air. The tree trembles against my back then shutters to a stop. Sophia’s water bottle to the left of my feet sways, the clear water ripples from the movement against the plastic.
“Alyce.” I look up. We haven’t talked for at least twenty minutes, other than the occasional surprised exclamation from Sophia. I don’t want to talk about the fight with my mom, the reason we came out here. I don't think she does either. I can’t find my voice. I wait a minute then try again. Then I find some of it. My “What?” comes out in a croak, but Sophia can see that I made an effort. She picks the water bottle up off the ground and steps over the roots that curl around the bottom of the tree.
She hands me the bottle, her soft hands cold against my warm small ones. I take a gulp of the water and hand it back to her. I wait for her to talk but she screws the top back on the container in silence.
I need to change the subject; I don't want to be roped into this conversation if it is about my mother. Since she’s not talking, I look around her tall figure. There is light creeping up from the bottom of the sky. The stars are getting dimmer as the light invades the dark. The light bleeds unnaturally into the blackness. Attacking the stars, making them fall farther, faster. Sophia doesn’t move which surprises me. I look away from her into the distance, shifting to see the hollow behind her. The stars seem to be filling the ravine of grass down to the ground below.
“Sophia,” I say first, still looking around her, my voice still. “Why do you love the stars?” It’s a stupid question but I ask it in all seriousness. I know why she loves the stars, it’s the same for my parents—her aunt and uncle. They lived for the stars, and so does she.
“Because,” she starts. I look back at her face. Even with the flash light beam barely brushing against her, I can see into her blue eyes that are only a few shades darker than mine. They are like the night sky after dusk when the stars come out. “They are God’s way of showing us that we are still alive even when we are dead. Stars are dead you know? Most of them are when we see them. But in our eyes they are alive still.” I nod, trying to make sense of it all. Beaver shifts beside me, turning onto her back, her black and orange cat belly looking up.
“So, when we die we become stars?” I ask. I think that what she’s saying but I’m not sure.
“I don’t know, Alyce, we could. Maybe that’s why there are so many in the sky and more to come,” Sophia tells me turning away. She walks back to the telescope. She takes it apart, laying it on the ground.
My mouth is dry again. I don’t know what is going on with me. I pick up Beaver without a word. She lets out a small cry as I press her to my body. Her claws catch on my shirt as she struggles, angry that she was disturbed. I give up and put her on the ground; she’ll follow us anyway, and grab the blanket. Dirt and leaves flutter to the grass as the blanket picks them up and throws them back. I shake it until it is as clean as I can get it and fold it neatly into a small rectangle.
When I turn around Sophia has already started away from the hollow back to my house. The light from the cotton candy sky stretches, shedding daylight so our flashlights are useless. I hold mine at my side, the blanket against my chest. Beaver brushes against my legs as we walk back on the muddy ground.
Last edited by peanut19 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:17 pm
View Likes
Ruth says...

peanut19 wrote: I sit quietly, waiting for Sophia to speak. She doesn’t look at me, she is busy.

Try "She doesn't look at me; she's much too busy to waste her precious time."

peanut19 wrote: I pull the up

Pull the what up?

Okay, I'm not going to go through and nitpick everything, because I'm low on time, but this has the makings of a good story. What you need is semi-colons. I know that it sounds stupid, but they do make such a big difference and make you look a lot more intelligent.

This character doesn't seem to be a formal person, so using "they're", "she's", etc. is absolutely fine and will make the story flow a lot better.

A lot of writers find present tense difficult to read. I'm not one of those writers, as it happens, but your story seems more professional to people in "the business" if it's in past tense. I couldn't explain why. Who can fathom the ways of writers?

Other than that, just try and be a little more descriptive. But avoid Meyer-ness - adding words like "icy", "glitters", "perfect" etc. will not make your writing look any better. Writing is an art - you can't stick random objects in anywhere and hope for the best. But this does have the makings of a great story. I was intrigued. A little work on your style is all you need. As long as you avoid Meyer-ness, adjectives are not dangerous! Have fun with them. That's what they're there for.

Hope I've been helpful
~Grin
"Ruth.
She's alive because she is not dead,
and junk."
~JoJo

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:35 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Sarah! zomg, it's your NaNo!

I. NITPICKS

the land meets the sky.

I'd actually say where the sky meets the land, because it's where the sky ends and the land begins, rather than the other way around, if I'm making any sense.

I pull the up with my hands

the up?

The barrier around her eye pale pink it looks at me when she looks at me.

Um. Yeah. This sentence makes no sense.

I can see behind her as the telescope swivels on its stand and falls to a point at the ground.

Get rid of the "as", or rephrase: "Behind her, I see the telescope..."

When she had grabbed the notebook from the ground, the braid that snaked down her back came loose. Red spirals poke out of the folds of the braid. She ignores the loose strands and just keeps writing. Then she stops.

I would rephrase the first sentence here, or just get rid of it, and say the hair's coming out of the plait. Also, if it's down her back, wouldn't she ignore it anyway?

She doesn’t move her tail twitches in her sleep.

but, perhaps?

I don’t know what going on with me.

what's?

slivers spiraling down my spin.

slivers? I'm not sure if this is abstract description or a typo ;)

I don’t know what she’s thinking but she is annoyed I can see it.

Break this up with a commas or maybe make it two separate sentences.

her breathe moving the strands.

breath.

Alright...

II. OVERALL

I don't have any specific issues that I can actually name, so I'll just say it all here. Your opening is interesting, and you have some beautiful description in there, but the jump to the scene inside the house makes it feel like I'm reading two different stories. The transition could be done a bit better. Maybe the spell of the stargazing is broken on the way back- do Sophia and her start talking and laughing, or are they still silent and pensive? Then is coming back to the house a reality check? It just felt a little too jumpy for my liking.

Other than that, I know that in general you're a very conscientious writer, but there were moments here that you missed out words etc., and though I know you know the importance of proofreading, I thought I should probably reiterate it. Don't rely on Spell Check either...

But otherwise, this was really good and really promising.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:53 pm
View Likes
peanut19 says...

Thanks for your reviews guys! And Stella if you look back at this I just want to you to know that Lin said almost the same things you did when she read it. And the missing words were just ones that I didn't see :) I'll go back and edit it. Part 2 will be up soon. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 pm
View Likes
EmilyofREL says...

Hey there Sarah! I'm not a grammar person, so I'm not gonna nitpick. Looks like most of your first editors got it anyways. Good start so far and leaves the reader questioning. I disagree with the reviewer who said present tense stories aren't taken seriously. Jodi Picoult comes to my mind, but she is just one of several very successful authors who use present tense. I've experimented with tenses myself. If present tense is done well, there is no reason it wouldn't be published. I like the concept...the line of Sophia's about death is really poignant. I like the quote you have in your signature too :) Can't wait
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:20 am
View Likes
Ego says...

I talked to you about my thoughts on this piece in chat, so I will simply rehash what I said so you have it for future reference.

--Great patience in writing this. the slow pace would normally turn me off, but you did it in such a way that drew me in and held my attention. Well done.
--You lose a bit of that excellent pacing at the end, though that may not be a bad thing. As long as you bring back moments like these that really give insight into the characters and how they perceive the world, I think you'll be okay.
--Format. Fix it.

“They are God’s way of showing us that we are still alive even when we are dead.

I think you should draw parallels here to memory, and the fact that what we are seeing of stars is actually a visual memory of them.

Beaver shifts beside me, turning onto her back, her black and orange cat belly looking up.

Cats roll onto their back in a very specific way--I'd describe this way, as to draw that image from anyone who's ever owned a cat. It's a guaranteed "D'Awwww" moment for any cat owner if described properly.

On frivolously spelled names.
"Alyce." Not a fan of randomly spelled names. Go with the traditional spelling, in my opinion. You see way too many people spell their children's names strangely these days without having it in fiction, too.

On the details.
Loved them. Loved the description of the blades of grass, and the Finding Nemo pencil. These will be the bread and butter of your story.

--D
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun May 01, 2011 4:52 pm
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Hey there, Peanut! I'm here to review this!
I frown; it’s not as pretty

In the first two paragraphs you already use three semicolons, ; .
It's just three right but it stands out. Maybe you can rework those sentences a little.
Also, after reading the rest of this I notice you have quite a few more. Maybe you could go back around and reword those sentences so you don't need as many semicolons in them. It's sort of distracting.

As far as the opening goes, it was good. I liked how it was a slow, gentle puller. I find those much more effective than the 'omg car crash, chasing, dying openers that are so overused.

As far as your grammar and punctuation goes, there were times where I felt you could have reworded your sentences a bit differently because at times they read awkwardly but it's nothing much. Take this with a grain of salt because no writing is perfect and perfection is different in everyone's eyes.

It was a quiet chapter, interesting to make me think about it but slow where some people might get bored with it. You introduced your characters but there wasn't much that I could point out about them. Is your main character a boy or girl? I don't really know... Maybe you could make that part clearer. At first I thought it was a girl and then I thought it was boy. :/

Overall, I actually did enjoy this and your descriptions were just very beautiful. I liked listening to them and the way your words formed so ten points for that.

I'll be on to the next now. There isn't much I can point out with this one anyway. lol

-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant