z

Young Writers Society

Strange love

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:25 pm
Young gun says...

Since I am new to this sort of writing could you please tell me what you thought of this and how I could further improve this.This is not intended to be much of a story.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

It was a great feeling. Love, an amazing chemical reaction in the brain was happening to him after many years.Lovely feelings in your brain makes you feel like you are on top of the world.

When you have been single till the age of fifteen any pretty girl can give you that charged feeling of love.

The lovestruck boy met this girl staying just a few blocks away when she recently joined his group of friends. He really did not know that he was in love with her until his friends started pulling his leg nearly every time.He was slowly, but clearly, beginning to understand what was happening.Still, he lived in his state of denial for a few weeks, despite his friends discussing the similarities between this lovestruck teen and his new found crush to convince him that they were right.But.... they really were right.Friends know you better than anyone.

He sometimes really wondered if he could have her and if she felt the same way but no indications came from her side. He was way too nervous to confess his feelings for her.Afterall...he never had done such a thing before. There always looms a fear of emotional mess when you need to confess you’re love to someone who becomes your friend.People some times tell you to listen to you're heart in such situations,not you're head.This was totally different.His heart and head both said he didn't stand a chance; "don't event try".Being in love,he obviously disagreed.

Inaction reigned supreme.Our ever doubting teenager just lay there, just watching, as life repeatedly gave him the opportunities to achieve his deep desire.Opportunity was banging on his door hard,yet he didn't open the door."How would you know if you don't even try?" voices from inside told him.But sometimes,we just don't want to give it a chance.Nervous,he just sat still- watching her, as she frequently came down to meet the group of friends.

As time passed by he was beginning to lose his feelings and the strangest form of love took over him. She sure did cause his heartbeat to rise, she sure did make him feel alive, but, only when she was not around. He loved her, but only as a fantasy. He somehow could never come to understand himself and what really stopped him. “Why is a man only suppose to initiate such matter? Emotional mess would be far less if it were the other way round”. He recollected her face whenever he saw a pretty teenage girl. He knew her birthday way before it was due…still why could he not let her know?

Tired of his nervous behaviour,opportunity left his doors to never knock on it again.

This is how it happened:

One fine day, she announced to the group that she was leaving the city and moving into the suburbs which meant she could not see the group friends so often.

He knew he would miss her.

He kept getting excited when she came over to visit once in few weeks thinking “This is it, grab your chance”. But again…it just lasted till he met her in person.

This had to stop.

Frustrated at his pathetic situation , he finally crushed his feeling and cursed himself for building a dream world.

His brain and heart were always right.But love knows no common sense.

But from the inside he still feels calm………no more of her playing around in his brain.A chance to finally "move on" for real.

He was free once and for all.
Last edited by Young gun on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Too bad we don't live to experinece death

174 Reviews

Reviews: 174
Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:10 am
lucyy says...

Well hi there, I have decided to review this wonderful piece of work of yours!! :D First off I'm going to quote the whole piece and go through it making [suggestions/thoughts] and edits or extra adding-ins. Then I will go through the whole review with you at the end. I hope this helps you out!! =D

Since I am new to this sort of writing could you please tell me what you thought of this and how I could further improve this. [I promise to do my best!! :D] This is not intended to be much of a story.

When you have been single till the age of fifteen any pretty girl can give you that rushed feeling of love.

The single teenager just met this girl staying a few blocks away who had recently joined his group of friends. He really did not know that he was in love with her till his friend started pulling his leg nearly every time. Still he lived in his state of denial for a few weeks, despite his friends discussing the similarities between this love-struck teen and his new found crush to convince him that they were right.
He sometimes really wondered if he could have her and if she felt the same way but no indications came from her side. He was way too nervous to confess his feelings for her. Afterall……..[delete ellipsis – it’s not really needed] he never had done such a thing before. There always looms a fear of emotional mess when you need to confess you’re love to someone who becomes your friend.

As time passed by he was beginning to lose his feelings and the strangest form of love took over him. She sure did cause his heartbeat to rise, she sure did make him feel alive, but, somehow always when she was not around. He loved her, but only as a fantasy. He somehow could never come to understand himself and what really stopped him. “Why is a man only suppose to initiate such matter? Emotional mishap would be far less if it were the other way round”[maybe you could have this in italics as it’s a thought rather than an actual speech?]. He recollected her face whenever he saw a pretty teenage girl [is a full stop meant to be here?] He knew her birthday way before it was due…[s]still[/s] but why could he not fulfil his fantasy?

One fine day, she announced to the group that she was leaving the city and moving into the suburbs which meant she could not see the group friends so often.
He knew he would miss her.
He kept getting excited when she came over to visit once in few weeks thinking “This is it, grab your chance” [again, italics for thoughts – speech marks for speech :wink: ]. But again[try not to over-so your use of ellipsis – in this instance there’s no real need for one here (:] it just lasted till he met her in person.
This had to stop.
Frustrated at his situation which was so pathetic, he finally crushed his feelings and cursed himself for building a dream world.
But from the inside he still feels calm………[Again, this ellipsis does not fit in, maybe a hyphen instead?] no more of her playing around in his brain.
He was free once and for all.

Overall Thoughts
Purpose
The first thing that puzzles me is what purpose does this piece involve? Is it meant as a monologue, a prologue? You need to try and make the purpose of this piece clear to make it easier reading, without the confusion :D.

Your Characters
At the moment your characters are just flat people that don’t mean anything to me – they haven’t managed to make an impression on me. You need to work on your character development and maybe start off with giving your characters names to make this slightly more realistic. Then look at each of your characters in detail, especially your MC and question what is it that makes them tick? What is their personality? What do they look like? And finally, going with the theme of this piece, why does your MC like this girl? What is it about her that made him fall in love? All of this and more will help to make your characters seem more realistic and less flat and will also help you to flesh out this piece a bit as it’s slightly too short for my liking. I just think that so much has been left unsaid and so much more could be added to this.

Then... everything else
First off your excessive use of ellipsis needs to be looked at. Remember an ellipsis is an extended pause which symbolises a pause for thought and they should be used as less as possible to add to the effect they have when they are used. So try and bear that in mind the next time you use an ellipsis: does it really need to be there?

Finally, I loved your style of writing – it’s easy to read and enjoyable too. I also like the sound of this storyline and I think that you have a lot to play with, which is really good! Great job on this piece and I hope this review was helpful to you :D! If you have any questions or need anything at all just PM me and I’ll be more than happy to help you out!!

Keep Writing!! :D
--Lucyy xx
"Don't think, or judge. Just Listen."

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:33 am
Caerulean says...

Nice work. I could slightly relate with the story. (But, I never lost feelings for her)

Anyways, I don't actually think that you have to name or describe your characters since this is more like a thought-story (That's how I call it XD), where the readers get lost in thoughts and are kept in the mystery of what entirely happened. I believe this is for one shot too, so no need to expand.

But! It would be really great if you can make this into an entire story! :D

P.S.

I noticed a few grammatical errors and that you misused ellipses. The last reviewer had pointed them out.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:21 pm
Cotton says...

Hey! This is so adorable. It feels like an ode, and almost like a poem. Which is very slick, because both of these are common to this genre.

I shall now be clinical and nitpick, and tell you how I think you could improve it.

The single teenager just met this girl staying a few blocks away who had recently joined his group of friends. He really did not know that he was in love with her till his friend started pulling his leg nearly every time.

These sentences feel awkward. Might I suggest: "This single teenager ['this' because he has already been mentioned in the previous paragraph] met this girl when she joined his group of friends. He didn't really know that he was in love with her until his friend began pulling his leg about it almost every time they met up."

He sometimes really wondered if he could have her and if she felt the same way but no indications came from her side. He was way too nervous to confess his feelings for her.Afterall……..he never had done such a thing before.

Maybe, "He sometimes seriously wondered whether he could have her, and if she felt the same way - but no such indications came from her. He was far too nervous to confess his feelings to her. After all, he had never done such a thing before."

She sure did cause his heartbeat to rise, she sure did make him feel alive, but, somehow always when she was not around.

For some reason, when I read this the narrator had an odd tone of voice: sort of sad, sort of wistful. To this end, I think this would read better as: "Sure, she made his heartbeat quicken, and make him feel more alive, but somehow only when she wasn't actually around."

Conclusion: This really is so sweet, and all you need to do is read through it (deeply, and I know that can be a tad uncomfortable) and play around with those sentences, and then they can have an even deeper impact. It really does have the capacity to be profound. :D
~*cottonrulz*~
Here's a story of a brother by the name of Othello,
He liked white women and he liked - green jello... - Reduced Shakespeare Company

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:32 am
octocoffee says...

Hullo dear :) Thank you for replying to my thread, I hope you find my review helpful. So, let’s get started, shall we?

It was a great feeling. Love, an amazing chemical reaction in the brain was happening to him after many years.

Oof, remember that it is imperative your first sentence be dramatic and intriguing: a hook. ‘It was a great feeling’ is not quite dramatic or intriguing. Why don’t you just start with the second sentence? It’s much more interesting.

When you have been single till the age of fifteen any pretty girl can give you that rushed feeling of love.

Here, replace ‘till’ with ‘until’. I think you were thinking of ‘‘til’, the shortened, colloquial form of ‘until’. ‘Till’ means to plow, or sow. I’m not sure I quite like the use of second person here either. Is there any way you could change this sentence to fit the third-person past tense used in the rest of the piece?

Still he lived in his state of denial for a few weeks, despite his friends discussing the similarities between this lovestruck teen and his new found crush to convince him that they were right.

I’m not quite sure, but I think ‘lovestruck’ is two words, ‘love struck’, or with a hyphen in between, ‘love-struck’. You might want to check up on that, but from what I can tell (and with a little googling) it’s not one word. However, I do know for a fact that ‘new found’ is one word: ‘newfound’. Also, take the time here to describe and elaborate a little! What are the similarities between him and her? A hidden love for children’s TV shows? A loathing of things orange? I’d like to know these things, and I’m sure other people do too.

He sometimes [s]really[/s] wondered if he could have her and if she felt the same way but no indications came from her side.

I just think the ‘really’ sounds awkward here. Again, just add a little detail here. What does he do to get her attention? How does she seem to ignore or not notice his attempts to reach out?

Afterall……..he never had done such a thing before. There always looms a fear of an emotional mess when you need to confess you’re love to someone who becomes your friend.

‘Afterall’ should be ‘after all’, two words. Also, the standard ellipsis consists of three consecutive periods (…). Three does the job just as well as eight. In general, though, the ellipsis isn’t quite necessary here. There is a pause there, I agree, but it doesn’t need to be that long. ‘Looms’ should be in the past tense. ‘You’re’ should be ‘your’, since it indicates possession. Again, I’m not sure about how well the second person works. Try rephrasing it to third person and see how that works.

As time passed by he was beginning to lose his feelings and the strangest form of love took over him.

‘Was beginning’ doesn’t quite work here. To write it like that would be to put it in the imperfect form, which suggests that it occurs in the past, but hasn’t quite finished yet. In this situation, it doesn’t make sense. Simply replace it with the perfect form, ‘began’.

“Why is a man only suppose to initiate such matter? Emotional mishap would be far less if it were the other way round”.

Is he speaking to himself here? Are they thoughts? If they are the latter, it might work better if the quotes are removed. The first sentence is in present tense, and it’s jarring. If you could change that to past tense, things would flow smoother. Also, if you do plan on keeping the quotes, remember to leave the period inside the end quotation mark, not on the outside.

He recollected her face whenever he saw a pretty teenage girl. He knew her birthday way before it was due…still why could he not fulfil his fantasy?

A period is missing, and should be placed right before the capitalized ‘He’. Actually, you could probably combine the first two sentences into one, since they follow similar formats, like so: He recollected her face whenever he saw a pretty teenage girl, and knew her birthday way before it was due. Again, I’m not sure if the ellipsis here works well; perhaps you could try just a period or semicolon? ‘Fulfil’ is misspelled. There are two l’s: fulfill.

One [s]fine[/s] day, she announced to the group that she was leaving the city and moving into the suburbs which meant she could not see the group friends so often.

‘Fine’ feels strange. It just doesn’t fit here. As for the word ‘so’, perhaps replacing it with ‘as’ would feel more natural.

But again…it just lasted till he met her in person.

Again, ‘till’ should be ‘until’.

Frustrated at his situation so pathetic, he finally crushed his feeling and cursed himself for building a dream world.

Perhaps the underlined could be changed to ‘pathetic situation’?

But from the inside he still feels calm…

Ah, we have another tense change. That should probably be fixed to past tense.

So, I certainly understand the feeling! I liked a guy, but eventually it reached a point where I just liked the guy in my mind, not the real one. However, this all felt like summary of a novel or something. We got the entire story in chronological order, a bit like a timeline. The important thing about this is that he loved her, but it turned into this fantasy world in his head, right?

I have a suggestion. Take a part of the male’s story, just a snippet, like where he meets her after she’s moved away and he realizes that he doesn’t actually like the actual her anymore. Write out the scene, and pack in the details: how he feels, what he’s doing, everything. Try and convey all the information, the emotions around their relationship, but in just one single scene. It’ll be a challenge. Once you’re done, compare it to the whole story. I guess what I’m trying to say is, do you need to tell everything from beginning to end?

What you’ve written is great though, and a nice angle on the aspects of romance. :)

Sorry it took a while to get out, I hope you find it helpful. (I also hope you had a nice first day of college!)

Best of luck,
octo
...if you are going to step on a live mine, make it your own. Be blown up, as it were, by your own delights and despairs. ~ Ray Bradbury
I Review Everything!

Random avatar

Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:52 pm
Young gun says...

Thanks for the review octo. I'll see if I can expand the main character's idea without making this a story.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:33 pm
Demeter says...

Hey, Gun! I'm really sorry that you've had to wait this long for a review.

It was a great feeling. Love, an amazing chemical reaction in the brain was happening to him after many years.Lovely feelings in your brain makes you feel like you are on top of the world.

Okay, so, to begin with, your subject clearly is... love. I know you know that it has always been a popular writing topic, which leads us to the next thing I'm going to say. Everyone has read stuff about love. Even those who don't know what love is like can get a faint feeling about it when it's described well (although I know love can't ever be properly brought to words). Now I want you to ask yourself whether you deliver the message of love as well as it could be delivered. If you ask me, I'm afraid the answer is no – to sum the paragraph up, you say "Love is great." That really isn't enough. Now, it might be difficult to write about love, especially if one has never truly experienced it. Still, readers are going to want much much more from you, so please give it to them. You can do a lot more, I trust you.

till his friend started pulling his leg nearly every time.

Every time what?

Well, I won't be mentioning every little nit-pick, because I don't want to bore you, but I'll just say proofread and spellcheck before you post your work. And after that, proofread again, and have someone else proofread it for you. It can be frustrating at first, but it's really worth it, trust me. Your eyes will learn to notice the mistakes and soon you won't do them at all anymore. Also, please please please hit the space key after commas and periods.

(Notice that "didn't" isn't actually spelled "din't", even though it can be pronounced like that.)

I've said this before and I will say it again: you don't describe the MC's emotions very originally, I'm sorry. This is not something that couldn't be improved, so don't worry too much about it. You just need to write and write and get older and it'll probably come automatically after some time. But everything needs practice.

He knew her birthday way before it was due…

This is more what I'm talking about. It's one of the few things in the story that gives some depth to the character. Maybe not enough, but some. We need more hints like this so we can understand his feelings and thoughts properly. =) You're getting there, though.

Well, just keep practicing and good luck!

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

Reviews: 2
Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:35 am
Supreme says...

Great job, i really liked how it was written from a first person point of view. Also its very relate able as someone above me said. As far as corrections i cant see anything else wrong with this other than what was mentioned. Really great stuff i enjoyed it alot :D
Call me Dan
Super beginner writer who's self conscience about his work = me

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:51 am
Ashleigh Brown says...

I can't even begin to tell you how much I loved this...I stumbled on it and now I love it. You have to message me if you post some more...keep up the good work:)
Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker. ~Author Unknown

Random avatar

Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:12 pm
Young gun says...

Thanks.Once my holidays start ill post some more of this kind of stuff.Hopefully,it should be as good.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:35 pm
LookUpThere says...

Heya, I'm going to review your work.

The very first thing I thought when I began to read this is: Hey look, an opportunity for me to study the emotion that is love. However I think it fell flat with some repitition:

Young gun wrote:It was a great feeling. Love, an amazing chemical reaction in the brain was happening to him after many years.Lovely feelings in your brain makes you feel like you are on top of the world.

The boldened parts can be changed or perhaps omitted. Maybe something like this:

It was a great feeling. Love, an amazing chemical reaction in the brain that makes you feel like you are on top of the world, now it was happening to him.

Young gun wrote:But.... they really were right.Friends know you better than anyone.

I kind of missunderstand why the but is there. What is the but opposing?

Overall: This is a great piece. I can't criticize anything you say about love since haven't been there or done that. Just read all of the reviews. Space after a fullstop, grammar, punctuate etc. Mind the repitition, if you can't think of a better word to use than repeating a word than use a thesaurus, even an online one.

Great work though, liked the end.

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:24 pm
captain.classy says...

It makes me sad how the couldn't end up together!
But, all in all, I liked it! The phrases you used about love definantly made your story.
Thanks for telling me to read this!
Lastly, My favorite quote: "His brain and heart were always right.But love knows no common sense. "
It sounds like shakespeare or something! haha
I loved it, and hope you write more things like this!
~Classy

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:50 pm
MissMiaFacinelli says...

Young gun wrote:It was a great feeling. Love, an amazing chemical reaction in the brain was happening to him after many years.Lovely feelings in your brain makes you feel like you are on top of the world.

OK. Overall, I liked the opening, but make sure you put a space after a full stop! Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. Try putting a comma after "brain," it will help your piece to flow. "Lovely" seems more like a word a girl would use, why not try "warm" or "electric"?

Hmm, good. But why not try "charged" instead of "rushed"?

The lovestruck boy met this girl staying just a few blocks away when she recently joined his group of friends. He really did not know that he was in love with her till his friend started pulling his leg nearly every time.He was slowly, but clearly, beginning to understand what was happening.

OK. The first sentence is a little muddled. Why not try:
The lovestruck boy met the girl after she joined his group of friends. She lived a few blocks away from his house.

"Till" should be "until"
Expand on "nearly every time" Every time what?
Again on the full stops.

Afterall...he never had done such a thing before. There always looms a fear of emotional mess when you need to confess you’re love to someone who becomes your friend.People some times tell you to listen to you're heart in such situations,not you're head.This was totally different.His heart and head both said he din't stand a chance; "don't event try".Being in love,he obviously disagreed.

Whoa! Grammatical nightmare!
After all...he never had done such a thing before. There is always a fear of emotional mess when you want to confess you're love with someone who becomes your friend. People sometimes tell you to listen to your heart in such situations, not your head. This was totally different. His heart and head both said he didn't stand a chance: "don't even try".Being in love, he obviously disagreed.

Again on the full stops.

"How would you know if you don't even try?" voices from inside told him. Nervous,he just sat still- watching her, as she frequently came down to meet the group of friends.

Again on the commas and full stops. It's comma/full stop SPACE new word eg "The cat was sat on the big, blue mat. It was a fat cat."
There should be either a space before and after your hyphen (-) or no spaces.

She sure did cause his heartbeat to rise, she sure did make him feel alive, but, only when she was not around. He knew her birthday way before it was due…still why could he not let her know?

OK. Comma use in first sentence is a little odd. Try:
She sure did cause his heartbeat to rise, she sure did make him feel alive - but only when she was not around.

Spaces after ellipses (...) And try:
He knew her birthday way before it was due… but why could he still not let her know how he felt?

"Group of friends", not "group friends"

Overall

Okay, so it's a good story all in all. Just a few little grammatical tweaks to make, and a little rephrasing, and it'll be perfect. Or you could try to make it into a poem? That would be good!

Good job, keep writing!

Pgsgirl
Want a free, constructive review? Click here!

Got YWS?

Previously known as Pgsgirl7

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:43 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Hello! I quite liked this piece. It's written in a very narrative kind of way, very observant. I do like the style of writing, however I think that in some ways it would benefit from atual scenes being written, for example, finding out that the girl is going away. It also might be a more emotional piece if it was written in first person. I mean, you say love is a great feeling but we need to know more. We need to empathise with the main character and right now we don't very much. Perhaps add some more detail so that the reader can really relate to the situation and feel like it's happening to them. Also, I think saying "This is how it happened:" is very matter-of-fact and just makes it sound a little too observant. An interesting piece though, in an interesting style. Keep writing. :)
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:57 pm
Tabithalillian says...

Hey! I am not big into nitty-gritty stuff so here is just a brief critique of what I thought of the piece. The beginning seemed quite good and very in detail. The one thing I was wondering was just a personal opinion. the line "When you have been single till the age of fifteen any pretty girl can give you that charged feeling of love." I don't think this statement is correct. or maybe you could have narrowed it down more. Because not every pretty girl would return that feeling of love. Thus, he would not always get that "in love" feeling. Also the beginning seemed like you put some real thought into it and it had great emotion. But then the ending part just seemed a bit short and not as powerful. It was still good and all but maybe you could have made it seem a little more thoughtful and in-depth like the start of this piece was. But over all I really did enjoy it! It was powerful and emotional and did a great job portraying feelings. Good job!
Living in a tower

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott