Young Writers Society

Eine Eingebürgerte Engländerin

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Tue May 26, 2009 8:34 pm
Winter's Twelfth Night says...

Analiese Richter
March 1560

Finally. Finally I have arrived in England. It took so long I thought I’d never get here. I must admit, I was fortunate that there were no delays in the process. No snow storms, no gales at sea. Austria seems so very far away! I am wondering where the hills and mountains are. Where is the snow? The freezing cold? I suppose England is warmer than Austria; it certainly is wetter. Mein Gott, the rain! It seems the clouds are perpetually dripping. When I arrived late last night the raindrops fell in sheets, driving into the ground and immediately soaking everyone ‘till we were shivering uncontrollably. It was nothing a nice fireplace couldn’t fix.
I suppose I should explain. I am now living in the household of Lord Charles Daley, the Duke of Kent. I have come to England to marry a wealthy young man who serves the Duke, and I am to be lady-in-waiting to the Duke’s wife Mary. I met my husband-elect, Lord Robert Hartmann, briefly for the first time last night. He greeted me at the grand doors, kissed my hand, and welcomed me to England. The whole meeting should have been very formal, but my gown was thoroughly wet and we couldn’t help laughing a little at my soggy appearance.
Nevertheless, I had to do my very best to impress Lord Robert, even though I could feel the adrenaline coursing through my veins, making me anxious. It did not help that I was exhausted from my long journey. It turns out that my husband-to-be is quite handsome, in a boyish way. He has light brown hair and wore a red doublet that made his striking green eyes pop.
This morning my maids dressed me in one of the new English gowns that were made for me so I wouldn’t look too out of place and foreign when I went to meet the Duke and the rest of the Hartmann family. The gown is green and much less bulky than my gowns from home, although my corset is tighter. My new hood is more of a billiment, actually, and doesn’t cover much of my hair. Perhaps it is a descendent of the French hood. In any case, I feel a bit odd in my new English attire, but I think it becomes me. We’ll just have to wait and see what Lord Robert thinks, won’t we?
To pass the time, I decided to take a walk in the beautiful gardens that surround the little palace. The flowers and trees and other greenery grow well in the rain and mild weather, even in March. I have a view of the gardens from the window of my chamber, and I couldn’t resist walking through them. There is what seems to be a labyrinth in the center of the gardens. The sky was a light gray, and it was barely raining as I strolled through the paths. I was about to head in when I saw a young woman pass by a few paths away. She was wearing a dark red gown with a fur cape wrapped around her arms. Our eyes met, and her face lit up in recognition. She smiled kindly and walked over to greet me.
“Are you Lady Richter of Austria?” She inquired.
“Yes. It is a pleasure to meet you.” The young woman’s smile grew still larger when she heard me speak.
“I am Charlotte Hartmann. We are so glad to have you here! How was the journey from Austria?”
“Oh, er, thank you. The journey was fine.” I paused, uncertain, “Did you say that your name was Charlotte Hartmann? Are you of any relation to Lord Robert Hartmann?”
“I am! Robert is my brother.” She stopped to think, “That makes us future sisters-in-law, then, doesn’t it?”
I smiled, “I suppose it does.”
“Your English is very impressive; you hardly have an accent. How long have you been studying English?”
“Oh, since I was very young. My parents had English, Latin, and French tutors for me. Do you like languages?” I asked.
“Very much. Perhaps you could teach me some German.”
We walked side by side through the gardens for quite a while, learning more about each other and our families. She and I are the same age; seventeen years old. We both love reading above everything. We both like to ride and dance, but she prefers singing over dancing. I, on the other hand, am a hopelessly awful singer. I pray that they don’t ask me to sing. Although I can play the lute quite well, which might make up for my voice. She told me about Lord Robert too. She says that he is kind and compassionate but is best known for his intelligence. The Duke regularly seeks him for advice. I suppose I shall never be bored!
Suddenly, a bolt of lightening shot through the sky. Thunder boomed all around us as the rain began pouring down again. Charlotte and I ran to the garden door before we could get too wet. We shut the door behind us and turned around to find Charlotte’s mother, Lady Hartmann, waiting for us. Lady Hartmann was a woman with a slight, fragile-looking build. It seemed like she would shatter into hundreds of little pieces, like glass, if she were to trip and fall. There were creases around her eyes and at the corners of her mouth, and she looked less than pleased to see us walking in from the rain.
Charlotte stepped forward and introduced me with a smile, “Mother, this is Lady Richter.” I sank into a deep curtsy.
“I see the two of you have met,” Lady Hartmann said. She sounded almost reproachful.
“Yes, we were walking in the garden,” Charlotte replied cheerfully, despite her mother’s obvious annoyance.
“ In this weather! You’ll make yourself sick walking in the rain. What were you thinking, Charlotte?”
“I’m sorry. Mother. I didn’t think-”
“No, you didn’t think. You don’t think! Did I raise you to be an ignorant girl?”
“Of course not, Madame.”
“What will the Duke think when he sees you walking in with wet hair?”
“I apologize, Madame.” The poor girl curtsied to her mother.
“Do not let it happen again, Charlotte. What is your first name, girl?” The question was directed towards me.
“My name is Analiese, Madame.” I curtsied quickly for good measure, but I don’t think it helped much.
“Analiese? Such a German name will never do.” I looked down at the floor. It was odd. Somehow, Lady Hartmann’s comment had made me feel ashamed. Why? What did I care if this woman didn’t like my name? Perhaps it was because Lady Hartmann was not just any woman, she was my future mother-in-law. Perhaps…
“Pardon me, Mother, but you know Lady Richter comes from Austria.”
“Well, she is no longer in Austria, is she? She will have a proper English name if she is going to live in a proper English household.” She stopped to think, “You will be known simply as Anna from now on,” she decided. Her mouth was downturned in what was apparently a very permanent frown.
“Yes, Madame.” A third curtsy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would love some help with my German. If anyone finds any mistakes in either my title or my story please let me know! Thanks!
Last edited by Winter's Twelfth Night on Fri May 29, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mamillius: Merry or sad shall’t be?
Hermione: As merry as you will.
Mamillius: A sad tale’s best for winter. I have one
Of sprites and goblins.

The Winter's Tale

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue May 26, 2009 9:06 pm
arya says...

Since German is my mother tongue, I should be able to help you, so pm me if I can help you with other stuff, because the story is perfect(German).
Do you take German as a subject in school?
I cant give you any advice on the English, since my english spelling isn't the best.
The story was really good.
I enjoyed it.
I generally like that kind of writing.
It s not too much at once, and its slow.
I absolutely enjoyed it.
You seem to like the romantic style writing.
Well your good at it.
Could you help me out a little?
I wrote a poem(posted it in the wrong genre) and its called "Untitled for school magazine". I need a proper review because I have to answer the editor of the Magazine realy soon.
Thanks Arya
Life isn't fair,
its just fairer than death,
that's all...

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Thu May 28, 2009 7:32 pm
Evi says...

Hey Winter! ^^ Thanks for using my thread. You love historical fiction, apparently? Awesome. :wink:

Well, there was that one small incident involving a carriage and a deep puddle of mud, but you could hardly call that a delay.

This is obviously an attempt at humor, but it's off-- the carriage was stuck in a mud puddle, and that's obvious. I don't think the half-humor is very effective here.

“Yes, Madame.” A third curtsy.

Ooh, I love the part with the curtsies. Anna (I shall say 'Anna' because it's far easier to spell and remember, although her Austrian name is beautiful. :wink: ) is obviously very eager to impress her new family, which is admirable-- but surely she's feeling a little worried after this introduction? I think you should delve into that battle of emotions a bit more. Trying to be perfectly amiable and polite, but realizing that these new people might not accept her for the person she is. Show us some of that.

As for nit-picks, that's really all I could find! I really like the idea of this story, and I think your characters are already well on their way to being interesting and well-developed. Here are some suggestions, however.

:arrow: Format-- Diary, or Narration?

Alright. So. All of the little issues I had with this piece can be attributed to one thing-- the style in which you wrote this. I think you've estabished a wonderful plot and some really great characters, but your description and narration is a bit forced, a bit stilted. Why? I think I know.

I think you're kind of trapped somewhere between writing a journal entry here and just narrating the story normally through first person. I think either of them would be perfectly fine, but you have to go all the way with whichever you choose. See how you have the date at the top? That seems like a journal, you know? And then your first paragraphs are very much about telling-- background information, the character's feelings about her husband, a quick recap of their meeting. Like you said in your request, I think your telling/showing needs to be sroted out a bit. You tell in the first five big, chunky paragraphs...but then you immediately transfer to actually narrating the scene, with the dialogue? Honestly, I think you could do this a lot better if you stick with the first-person showing kind of theme, like you did for the second half of the story. Take a step back from all of that background information; I'd love to see you write out her meeting with Robert like you did her meeting with Robert's mom. that doesn't mean you need to write out every word they say-- just describe the scene a bit, show us his personality. The earlier you introduce such an important character, the better, I think.

:shock: That was long. But! I just think you should try to make it less of a girl spilling her day onto her diary and more of the traditional first-person-story-line type of thing. Mkay? :wink:

:arrow: Characters

Like I said, I'm really liking your characters so far. Especially Charlotte's relationship with Lady Hartmann-- that has the potential to be really well-developed. I'd also suggest exploring what their tense feelings towards each other mean for Robert, his father, and Anna (now that she's part of the family). Make sure to give Lady Hartmann a heart, though (no pun intended. :lol: ) We wouldn't want an inhumanly uppity and rude character now, would we? Don't fall down the evil-stepmother/evil mother-in-law trap.

Also, really get across Anna's emotions about the pre-arranged marriage thing. It's a common thing those days, yes? How does that affect her feelings about it? What does it mean to her, fulfilling her duty by wedding a stranger? Remember-- she doesn't need to be madly in love with him OR despise him with a passion. Their relationship would be really complex, and maybe even kind of awkward. Make sure that shows through in their dialogue, actions, and emotions.

^^ So! Good job with this, so far-- feel free to request any other installments of this story and I'll follow up on it, see where you take things!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:48 pm
StellaThomas says...

Yo yo my homie! Sorry it's taken me so long to get round to this!

I. NITPICKS

It seems the clouds are perpetually dripping.

I'm sure you can find a better word than "dripping."

descendent

descendant.

“Are you Lady Richter of Austria?” She inquired.

she, not She.

Suddenly, a bolt of lightening shot

lightning.

II. OVERALL

I don't have any particularly specific issues, so I'm just going to say:

-I'd love to see more interaction between her and Robert, and her thoughts on him. She's seventeen, he should be at the forefront of her mind, this is who she's going to end up spending the rest of her life with. Show some more about him.
-what's the house itself like, how does it compare to her own home? Does she miss her family? Pets? Servants?

Overall though, not bad...

Hope I helped, drop me a line if you need anything!

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop