z

Young Writers Society

Arizona Princess

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Thu May 14, 2009 12:40 am
Evi says...

[Come Round Soon—Sara Bareilles; 003. Anagnorisis]

On the rare occasions when the door was opened, the chime would erupt into a frantic explosion of various ringing noises. The very thought of an entering customer was almost too much for the old chime to handle; pretty soon, it would simply malfunction under the pressure of introducing a prospective patron, most of whom would only immediately turn back around to leave.

The girl who had entered the bar clutched a cigarette in one hand and a tube of crimson lipstick in the other. She had obviously tried to apply some last-minute touch-ups, either in the car or while walking down the street, and the result was a messy assortment of red streaks going off of her lips and onto her cheek and jaw.

With the door open, the howling wind from the street battled with the stagnant atmosphere inside. By the looks of her, the girl had either been going for the ‘rebellious and chaotic’ style or had been the unfortunate victim of the raging weather. She staggered in, tossed her umbrella beside the door, and looked back out the window with apparent disdain.

A pot-bellied man, who had previously been wiping down the already-impeccable countertop, flashed her a grin.

“A bit nasty out there, eh?”

The girl’s black boots glinted in the fluorescent lights as she squeaked her way over to a stool at the bar and collapsed. She tossed the tube of lipstick into her purse without bothering to close it. “You could say that.”

The man chuckled and put up his rag, turning his back to the customer as he grabbed a tall glass from the back shelf. “The usual?” he asked casually, not waiting for her answer before filling up the glass with ice and a pink liquid that swirled around the glass like a rosy hurricane. Topping it off with a cherry, he regarded it smugly. Even though being a bartender at this sorry establishment had taught him very little about the outside world, having Dinah Palatino as a customer had educated him in the fine practice of making the perfect Shirley Temple. And even though he didn’t need to ask her if she wanted her usual, it made him feel successful. An accomplishment, he told himself, to even have one customer who came by regularly enough to have a usual.

He slid the glass across the counter and watched in amusement as she took her first sip. For a minute or so she alternated between a drag on the cigarette and a gulp of the Shirley Temple. There was no use trying to make conversation with her then, the bartender knew; that would have to wait. He was content to simply watch as she enjoyed her drink and try to comprehend why she’d want a cherry soft drink when she could have some ice-cold beer.

When she had drained the cup and grown tired of smoking, he offered her an ashtray. There was an impressive clap of thunder outside, and he watched as she groaned.

“Having a bad day?” he asked sympathetically, taking out his rag again and obsessively polishing the countertop to a shine. The circular motion seemed to transfix Dinah for a moment, but watching him clean obviously didn’t have the same appeal as having a conversation.

“You could say that, too,” she responded, and then a moment later: “But then again, you could say that about every day of my sorrowful existence in this wretched world.”

“God, Dinah, no need for the theatrics.”

“What, you’re not interested in listening to my woes?”

“Not really, no.”

She glanced up, amused, and ran her finger along the rim of the empty glass. “Tell me about your woes, then. I’ll listen sympathetically. Really, I need the distraction.”

The bartender considered this for a moment, but then decided that his woes were significantly less important than those of this disaster of a girl seated in front of him. Although it was something he didn’t understand, her distaste for alcohol could be a good thing. It gave a trouble-magnet one less troublesome complication to worry about.

“My biggest problem at the moment is that the Cubs lost to the Red Sox last night, which, when put into perspective, is hardly catastrophic. After all, there’s still a lot of the season left,” he said.

She made a hoarse sound that grated against his ears; he realized it was supposed to be laughter. “Well, I think my season’s almost over.”

A heavy silence. Then the man’s eyes flickered up to Dinah’s face, calculating. “I’m going to put those words into worst case scenario and assume that you’re talking suicide.”

She fixed her gaze somewhere over his left shoulder and nibbled at a fingernail for a moment. “I could tell you that I’ve never considered it.”

“But?”

“But that would be lying.”

“Did something happen recently?” he asked, but after seeing her raised eyebrows, added impatiently, “No, don’t give me that look, I’m not an idiot. Something’s obviously happened. And I’d bet every penny I own that you aren’t planning on telling me.”

“Every penny you own? Which would be a total of what, about twenty bucks?”

“You’re changing the subject.”

“I find it much more entertaining to talk about your financial issues than my state of mind.”

The man looked at her crossly, ignoring the truth in her words. Sure, the bar was looking a bit shabby, but he wasn’t selling it until the roof caved in on top of him. Which, according to Dinah, wasn’t too far away.

Another rumble of thunder. He felt it this time, felt the vibrations as they shook the building, and bit his lip. If the power went out, he had no back-up generator to resort to.

Dinah looked at him absently. “The forecast has predicted this kind of weather for all of this week, and even some of next week.”

“Oh?”

“I’ve always hated the rain. Wet in general, really. When I was little, I told myself that I’d be the princess of somewhere hot and dry. Like Arizona. I loved the cacti.”

“Arizona doesn’t have princesses,” he said unnecessarily.

“Well, yes, but try and tell that to my six-year-old self.”

With another flash of lightning, the old bartender grinned. “Arizona’s a long way away from here, honey.”

She glanced thoughtfully out the window at the sheet of rain. “Hmm. So I’ve noticed.”

He refilled her glass, and, for what seemed like an eternity, the two of them sat in silence, both preoccupied with their own worries. The only sound in the bar was the occasional shiver of wind, or Dinah slurping up the last remnants of her Shirley Temple. Soon enough the bar’s owner went over to an outdated television set and turned on the Cubs game; even when it was on, though, he seemed not to notice when his team hit a grand slam.

The bartender could only endure the silence for so long before he looked at his customer, his face criss-crossed with worry lines and old age. "How's work? The boss still giving you a hard time?"

Dinah frowned into her ice-filled cup, gazing intently at something. "What? Oh. No, she's not."

"You hesitated."

"I did?"

"Yes, you did."

"Is it really any of your business?" she snapped, but her voice was more preoccupied than angry. She adjusted the glass and looking into it from a different angle.

The lights flickered and an announcer's voice boomed from the television set, comparing the current pitcher to some baseball legend from way-back-when. The bartender laughed drly. "Well, Dinah, dear, since you're 'bout the only business I get nowadays, I was just trying to make conversation."

He resumed his cleaning, taking out a rag and methodically wiping nonexistant crumbs off of the countertop. For a moment it seemed as if Dinah would decline to comment, but then she set down the glass and looked him square in the eye.

"She's not giving me a hard time anymore because I quit." Her eyes had hardened into a clear-cut blue, an emotion stirring behind them that the bar's owner could not place.

The swish of his rag continued rhythmically, even when he looked up in suprise. "You quit?"

She wound a strand of dark hair into a perfect ringlet and tucked it behind her ear. "Well, technically, she fired me. But I hate it there anyway. I would've left one way or another."

"Fired? How're you plannin' to pay for school?"

This was met with silence; the girl closed her eyes and stirred the ice cubes left in the cup. The sound of her spoon clashing against the glass soon fell in time with his cleaning, and with the announcer's enthusiastic narration and the thunder outside, the bar became a symphony of deep concentration.

Somewhere in the seventh inning, Dinah stood up suddenly and slipped a five dollar bill across the counter. She offered an unconvincing smile and refused the change.

“Dinah, I’m worried about you. Don’t go hurting yourself, now.”

“No, no.” She waved off his caution and pulled out her lipstick, re-applying it with careful precision so that this time it actually landed on her lips, wiping off the wayward smears. “I’m fine. Really. I’m not the suicidal type.”

“Alright. You’re coming back tomorrow, right?”

“Yeah, tomorrow. Of course.”

She smiled with a bit more success and waved just as another flash of lightning struck, each ring on her hand glimmering. The chime sounded again, this time much less frantically, as if letting a customer leave wasn’t near as important as getting them to come in.

Just before the door shut, the bartender looked up suddenly. “Wait, Dinah! Your umbrella! You forgot it!”

She didn’t turn around to get it, and he could barely hear her as the door shut behind her. “Thanks, but you can have it. I won’t need it anymore.”

The next evening, Dinah Palatino didn’t show up for her nightly Shirley Temple. The bar’s owner stayed open for a half-hour past his usual closing time, but his only company was the storm outside, and it was hardly any consolation.

When he locked up the place, he nearly tripped over something that had been deposited on his doorstep. It was small and green, and (as he discovered after picking it up) very prickly. He bent down to examine it closer, his eyes narrowing as he recognized the object.

A cactus. It wasn't much larger than a lightbulb, but had been potted in a plastic green container that offered an abundance of growing room. Someone had taken a post-it note and pierced it with a spike of the cactus, face down. After wrestling with the scrap of paper for a moment in an attempt to avoid being impaled, the bartender pulled it off and flipped it over.

Four words, scrawled messily. The rain had made the ink run so that it was almost illegible, but he could still make out the words.

From the Arizona Princess.

[Critiques are greatly appreciated, as well as people's guesses on what Dinah ended up doing after the story finishes. I'd also like to know if it bothered anyone that the bartender was never named. This is my second entry out of the required five for the contest. Thanks for reading!]

EDIT: Much thanks to naturesgirl, Clo, Teague, Lin, and Dudette for your critiques! ^^
Last edited by Evi on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu May 14, 2009 2:27 am
naturesgirl says...

Hello! I'll go ahead and review as i read, okay?

The man looked at her crossly, ignoring the truth in her words. Sure, the bar was looking a bit shabby, but he wasn’t selling it unless and until the roof caved in on top of him. Which, according to Dinah, wasn’t too far away.

I don't believe there should be a period between "him" and "which". By having a period after "him", the latter sentence becomes a fragment. Also, "wasn't selling it unless and until..."; this doesn't quite make sense. Did you mean "he wasn't selling it until the roof caved in"?

Another rumble of thunder

This is another fragment, but perhaps you did this on purpose! I know that fragments can be a fun stylistic tool to use. Was that what you intended?

“The forecast has this kind of weather all this week and some of next week.”

This just seems to be a little awkward; i would try re-wording it.

She didn’t turn around to get it, and he could barely hear her as the door shut behind her. “Thanks, but you can have it. I won’t need it anymore.”

Am i right in assuming that she did indeed commit suicide? If so, how sad!

But great job; i enjoyed both characters. I also liked the setting you chose. I think a bit more information would have been helpful, but i do like that it was mysterious. :) good luck in the contest!

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu May 14, 2009 3:24 am
Clo says...

Evi! I have arrived, after some time. I like the title you finally chose! ^_^

---

With the door open, the howling wind from the street battled with the stagnant atmosphere inside. By the looks of her, the girl had either been going for the ‘rebellious and chaotic’ style or had been the unfortunate victim of the raging weather [s]outside.[/s]

The repetition of the sound seems obvious here, and it's noticeable that you have mentioned both the inside and outside in this brief paragraph. We can distinguish what is inside and outside as readers, especially since the topic is weather, so I think the "outside" is arbitrary, and the sentence reads better without it.

Although it was something he didn’t understand, her distaste for alcohol could be a good thing. It gave a trouble-magnet one less troublesome complication to worry about—[s]drunkenness. [/s]

She comes into a bar and asks for a soda? Now that is quite odd. Kind of nonsensical. Unless she really likes the place, and its by where she works, or some such. Also, anyway, in this case I don't think it's necessary to be so specific in this case. We know, since the topic is alcohol, that you're referring to drunkenness, so subtlety may be more artful here.

She made a hoarse sound that grated against his ears; he realized it was supposed to be laughter. “Well, I think my season’s almost over.”

He's already made it known that he is quite familiar with her. Yet he had never heard her laugh before?

Sure, the bar was looking a bit shabby, but he wasn’t selling it unless and until the roof caved in on top of him. Which, according to Dinah, wasn’t too far away

A typo, I'm guessing? One of those bolded words doesn't belong, anyway.

---

D:

Okay, I know his is not likely, but I think the most ideal thing to say here is that she moved to Arizona? Haha. Or she killed herself, which is so TRAGIC! :cry:

The characterization is done very well, considering we're with these two characters for such a brief amount of time, and she seems to clearly be a self-destructive beauty, and he a struggling gentleman, overall very sweet -- if anything were to be tacked onto characterization, perhaps prolong their conversation, give more troubling hints about the Arizona Princess to make the ending seem even more ambigous -- more darker thoughts, to support suicide, some more hopeful things, to make us think otherwise -- in the end, the reader being forced to weigh their own feelings against these to figure out what she does.

It might be trickier to make this longer, though I do believe it should be. I do like the plot though, and really, this is very, very good!

Evi, you did an amazing job. Good luck with the contest!

And PM me if you have any questions! ^_^

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Thu May 14, 2009 4:06 am
Teague says...

Soon as you put "Arizona" in the title, you earned a crit from me. XD I'm easily bought.

On the rare occasions when the door was opened, the chime would erupt into a frantic explosion of various ringing noises. The very thought of an entering customer was almost too much for the old chime to handle; pretty soon, it would simply malfunction under the pressure of introducing a prospective patron, most of whom would only immediately turn back around to leave.

I love this personification, but I think you could do more with it. I think if you elaborate on the pressure the wind chime "feels," you could make a more interesting start.

“The usual?” he asked casually, not waiting for her answer before filling up the glass with ice and a swirling pink liquid.

The thought of "swirling pink liquid" makes me think of this strange sort of perpetual motion juice. Maybe something more along the lines of "pink liquid that swirled around the cubes" would be a little clearer.

For a minute or so she alternated between a drag on the cigarette and a gulp of the Shirley Temple.

Where'd the lipstick go? Wasn't it in her other hand? *gasp* Is she an octopus? : D

“But then again, you could say that about every day of my sorrowful existence in this wretched world.”

Wow, what a drama queen. XD

When I was little, I told myself that I’d be the princess of somewhere hot and dry. Like Arizona. I loved the cacti plants.”

Maybe I'm being touchy, but cacti plants? I have never heard it phrased that way. XD

Also, just a forewarning -- only central & southern Arizona are hot and dry, and also boast very violent monsoon seasons in September-ish. Lot of wet, lot of flash floods, lot of rain. Doesn't last nearly as long as elsewhere, but the flash floods are major danger. Don't get caught up in the illusion that Arizona is bone dry and doesn't rain ever. ^_^

I beg to differ. :P *kidding*

Soon enough the bar’s owner went over to an outdated television set and turned on the Cubs game; even when it was on, though, he seemed not to notice when his team hit a Grand Slam.

I am not as well versed in baseball as some in my family, but I'm pretty sure "grand slam" is not a proper noun.

It was small and green, and (as he discovered after picking it up) very prickly.

Gahaha. I can imagine that. XD

He bent down to examine it closer, and dropped his mouth in shock once he recognized the object.

Why is he so shocked? I'd think he'd be more befuddled than shocked. IMO.

A cactus. With a post-it note.

I think you could describe this a little better. Is it a big cactus? Small cactus? What kind of cactus? In a pot? A jar? Is the note impaled upon its spines or stuck to something else?

There were four words, scrawled messily.

From the Arizona Princess.

Minor plothole: How is this even legibile in the violent rain?

Hurm, I like this. ^_^ Leaves a lot of questions, but in a sort of satisfactory way. I just think it could be elaborated on a little bit, maybe if there was more dialogue between the bartender and Dinah. It's a good idea, just needs a little more umph. A little more time to get to know what's going on and establish a stronger connection with the characters. Know what I mean?

I must also mention: Bless you, child, for remembering that it's cacti, not cactuses. <3

Peace, love, prosperity.
Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Thu May 14, 2009 10:46 pm
Linx says...

Evi, I did say that I would review this, did I not? :D

Okay, for that first paragraph, something is annoying me. It's probably just me, but yeah.
it would simply malfunction under the pressure of introducing a prospective patron,

To me, I don't see how a bell can malfunction. Only machines and stuff like that can malfunction.
But a bell? That just sounds weird to me, darling.

He slid the glass across the counter and watched with amusement as she took her first sip.

Shouldn't it be in amusement? :D

Unnecessarily doesn't fit very well there, It just doesn't, darling.

Characters :arrow: Oh my, I love Dinah! She seems so quirky and just one of those out there people. But I wish you could have shown a little more of her out-thereness. It would have been even better, in my opinion. The bartender seems really nice as well and very well set up. Good job! :D

The ending :arrow: Oh my goodness, what did happen? First off, if she did go to Arizonia, that would be an amazing end. But, it wouldn't sound realistic if it happened the day right after she let the bar. Since they live in Illionis (I guess it's there, since the bartender like the Cubs), would it make sense if she went to Arizonia and back in only 24 hours?

Unless, she really did kill herself. If so, just ignore that whole part, darling. :wink:

Language :arrow: I love the words and description you gave. You always do a wonderful job on it, darling. Good job. :D

Little bits and pieces :arrow: Like Teague said, I feel like this story could have a little more umph to it. It's a great idea and plot, but just needs something else there.

Overall, I liked it very much Evi. Good job! :D

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or comments.

*Lin
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue May 19, 2009 9:10 pm
Evi says...

Edited. ^^ I added some more to their conversation, and I'd really appreciate opinions on whether or not the additions work?

Thanks so much, everyone.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Wed May 20, 2009 7:47 pm
xDudettex says...

Hey Evi =]

I couldn't find any mistakes at all whilst reading this - so well done on that =]

It flowed extremely well and I'm really jealous of your writing ability! I'd have loved to have been able to write like this at 13 :) I don't think I can write to this standard at 18 either.

I don't think it matters that we don't get to find out the barman's name as he isn't the MC.

I loved the descriptions, too.

pink liquid that swirled around the glass like a cherry hurricane. - The only thing I can think to suggest it that maybe you could replace the first 'cherry' with another word to avoid the repetition. E.g; cerise, pink or crimson. It's only a suggestion though =]

Great job and good luck with your other enteries and in the contest!

xDudettex :)
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 29, 2009 12:26 am
Rosendorn says...

Hi Evi! Here as requested.

On the rare occasions when the door was opened, the chime would erupt into a frantic explosion of various ringing noises.

I'm not sure I like "the chime" without any sort of explanation as to where it is.

the pressure of introducing a prospective patron,

I find the alliteration a bit jerky here. So many P words can be hard to read when they're broken up like that, then clumped.

and the result was a messy assortment of red streaks going off of her lips and onto her cheek and jaw.

You never do mention her wiping this lipstick off before she puts more on.

glass like a cherry hurricane. Topping it off with a cherry,

I agree with Dudette. "Cherry" is a bit repetitive here.

Even though being a bartender had taught him very little about life,

I'm not sure I agree with this. If being a bartender means making small-talk with a bunch of customers and learning about their lives, wouldn't he know a lot about life? It would just be second-hand info, but info none the same.

An accomplishment, he told himself, to even have one customer who came by regularly enough to have a usual.

I like this line. It shows us how he's doing, instead of telling us. ^_^

“Not particularly, no.”

I find the bartender's dialogue a bit high-class at the moment, and this line really sticks out for me. Work on his dialogue as a whole, and use this line as an example for what's over-the-top. (Note- the early dialogue is fine, but come the end his grammar and dialect are a bit perfect. I loved Dinah's dialogue, though)

A possible correction could be: "Not really, no."

“My biggest problem at the moment is that the Cubs lost to the Red Sox last night, which, when put into perspective, is hardly catastrophic. After all, there’s still a lot of the season left,” he said.

You just said that his problems weren't that big in the paragraph above. I'd re-work it so he's not thinking about the idea so strongly before hand.

The only sound in the bar was the occasional shiver of wind, or Dinah slurping up the last remnants of her Shirley Temple.

Here, you imply that she finished the Shirley Temple. When you say she stirred the drink, I wondered what was up.

The boss still giving you a hard time?"

The boss or your boss?

and (as he discovered after picking it up) very prickly.

Did he pick it up by the pot or the actual cactus? Because I doubt the pot would be prickly. And if the cactus is that small, I think he'd notice the pot first.

Dialogue: Back here, it would seem. Dinah's dialogue was nice. It gave her a high-class, dramatic edge. But the bartender's was a bit advanced in my opinion. Unless you give a reason for his high level of dictation (which you don't really have room for), tone down some of the complex sentences he uses and the perfect grammar/pronunciation.

Characters: I found the bartender a bit stereotyped, actually. Not that I've had experience with this stuff, but, still. Dinah was a pretty good character, however. I just found the bartender to be, how to describe it? He's seemingly taken a fatherly interest in Dinah, but it doesn't really show that much. Add a bit more of that in nearer the beginning, please. ^_^

What happened: She moved to Arizona? Or, ran away, as the case may be. Add blood on the needles and you have suicide.

Overall: Not one of your best, unfortunately. I'm wondering if this is one of the songs you wanted to throw into an abyss because you didn't seem that into it.

Questions? Drop me a line.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:41 pm
AlphaGirl01 says...

This was a very interesting story. The girl seemed to have a very good relationship with the bartender, but with the normal awkward moments you would find in their kind of friendship. I really love how you left us on a cliffhanger, wondering what happened to the girl. You're an awesome writer. Keep on writing! :D :smt001 :smt002 :smt003 :elephant:
Sometimes two people fall apart to realize how much they need to fall back together.

Random avatar

Reviews: 31
Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:38 pm
Tranquility says...

Hey! :)

Just read a whole lot of your stories and poems etc, you're really good, you make what you write simple but descriptive.

I loved your chime! :lol:

Made me laugh! You're really good at making the little things seem important without dragging on. Obviously I could find some mistakes but in general I found this, like most of your other stories, engaging and interesting. You should continue some of them though, don't leave us hanging so much!

Keep writing! Obviously I'm not really in a position to say anything but I really think you could have a future in it! :D

xox
T
This is what we do. Lift our eyes to the snarl and smile of the world once more.With love: the passionate search for a truth other than our own. With longing: the pure, ineffable yearning to be saved. For so long as fate keeps waiting, we live on. God help us. God forgive us. We live on. - Shantaram

Gravity was a mistake.
— Till Nowak