z

Young Writers Society

Love hurts!

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sun May 03, 2009 8:11 am
borntoshop says...

The light seeped through the slightly a-jar curtains. The shine from it lay on my face, I let the warmness of it sink into my skin. It felt good, making a small part of me feel more alive. Everything was quiet I couldn’t hear a sound, I felt empty. It was just me.
I sat up slowly making every move seem like it was extremely hard. I sat on the edge of my bed. I stood from my stiff posture, off my bed and started to walk towards the door. The only feeling I had inside of me was grief. It started right at the pit of my stomach and hurried up until it reached my heart where it hurt the most. It felt like something was ripping me apart, and the only way that I could keep myself together was if I griped at my stomach and squeezed like I was the cello tape. I felt invisible like I was slipping away and there was nothing I could grip onto to keep me here. I walked down the long narrow hallway of our house which I hadn’t seen in days, a week even. It hurt to breathe it felt like something was clogged at the top of my throat cutting of my oxygen supply.
I couldn’t handle it any more I collapsed at the top of the stairs in a bundle of tears, and clasped my hands over my stomach desperately trying to hold myself together.
“Anna!” I heard a voice yell from down stairs. I knew it was a voice that used to make me feel happy to hear, it sounded like bells ringing, birds whistling, making everything seem brighter. But I only wanted to hear one voice and I couldn’t, not now, not ever again.
“Anna,” The voice was closer now, she was out of breath when she finally reached me and sat down and pulled me in her arms. “Shhh… honey, don’t cry he wouldn’t want you to. Shhh everything’s going to be okay. I just know it.”
She always used to call it mothers instinct, but I wasn’t so sure. How could this pain in me ever fade?
I woke up to the smell of roast chicken; the smell filled me up like a tidal wave. And I suddenly realised how hungry I was. My eyes felt sore and dry, they had no moisture left in them I blinked a couple of times to get some back. The pain in me was still there but it was dulled from the rumble that came out of my stomach, which said I was hungry.
“Wow! Was that thunder?” my dad said jokingly as he looked over at me. I gave him a weak smile and walked over towards the kitchen. Everyone was in there own worlds, my mum was humming to herself in the kitchen which I could faintly make out as being ‘hard days night’ by the Beatles. Her hair was pulled neatly into a bun, and she had her apron on which was slightly messy. She gave me a smile when she saw me, I tried to give one back but it didn’t belong on my face so I nodded. My dad was sitting at the table waiting for his dinner, he had his plate, knife and fork out already and was reading the paper, properly the jokes or the movie list. He was completely oblivious that I was staring at him. His black hair was cut short, and he had stubble on this chin. My gaze moved and fell upon my brother, Tim; he was sitting on the coach looking at the TV. even though he was supposed to be doing his homework. We use to be so close; we use to hang out all the time. But in the last year he slowly drifted from me, and he just kept drifting till I couldn’t find any part of his old life to hold onto. He was 17 just a year older than me, and he had been changing in front of my eyes. He sat there just across from me with his hoodie up over his head looking at the TV; I couldn’t even see any part of his face that I recognise. He use to be so kind and caring, he never use to care what people thought about him. He was fun. Now all I saw was a too-cool-for-school mopey teenager, who properly took drugs and hated the world. He never talks to me anymore; he might give me a grunt if we bump into each other in the hallway. But that’s it. I miss him!
He lifted his head and saw me staring at him,
“Whatcha staring at? Freak!” he said with utter disgust.
“Tim! Don’t talk like that to your sister!” mum said, looking up and giving him the you’ve been warned look.
“Why? Will I give her another reason to run to her room and cry? Or collapse in the hallway holding her stomach crying? Or--- “
“Enough!” mum said, sternly making me jump and turn to look at her. I didn’t want Tim to see, but his words had hurt, and it was just another reason on how much he had changed. He would never use to intentionally hurt me. I felt the tears prick the corner of my eyes and fall down my cheek. He was looking at me now, and for a second I thought he was going to apologise but he just said,
“Look. She’s crying again.”
I felt so angry at him, for hurting me so bad. The words came tumbling out of my mouth before it was to late for me to stop.
“So what if I cry! I have a good reason too! My boyfriend died in a car accident just a week ago. How could you be so cruel, you would never use to talk to me like that. You’ve changed SO much; sometimes I don’t even know who I’m looking at. You are out all hours of the night you get drunk and properly take drugs!” I paused to swallow the lump that was growing in my throat. “You’ve been in car accidents and fights in bars, you come home black eyed and nose bleeding at least once a week! You have so many fines, that you won’t be able to pay of till your twenty-five! You think I don’t notice but no matter how bad my life gets I’m not the self absorbed to not notice! Sometimes I’m actually embarrassed to call you my brother!” I stopped and for a second I thought I had actually got through to him, or I thought I saw a glimpse of hurt, but he quickly recovered and said,
“Yea? Well deal with it!”
Soon after that he left the house in a huff, and didn’t come back till 4pm, drunk. I heard him downstairs falling over things.
“Oh Shit! Why the fuck is that laying there?” he said his words slurring.
It sounded like he was walking towards the kitchen and after he fell over a couple more time, and swore a lot it went silient.I felt worried what if he had collapsed? So I gently pulled the covers back off my bed, and tip toed down the stairs. Once I got near enough so I could see him and he couldn’t see me, I was stunned at what I saw. He wasn’t lying on the ground passed out like I thought, he was sitting at he breakfast bar, taking in deep shuttering breaths. I knew that the way his shoulders shook he was crying. He never cried not even when Granddad died, who he loved so much.
“Why’d you have to leave?” he said, his words slurring and he was hard to comprehend.”You’ve hurt her so much! I miss ya mate. It should have been me that day, not you!”
It should have been me that day, not you! These words rung in my ears as I climbed back up the stairs. I knew Tim and Marcus hung out sometimes, but were they friends? I couldn’t get back to sleep after that, and at around five I heard my brother scramble up the stairs and disappear into his room.
:D

Reviews: 0
Sun May 03, 2009 12:04 pm
Twigg says...

I really like this, and the ending is really good. I, personally, didn’t think that that was going to happen. So I like the way you surprise the reader and make us feel sorry for your character through out having an insensitive brother and her feelings of loss.

These are the things I picked up on that could do with altering, just to make it that little better.

- 'Grip' was reapeated in the second paragraph, possibly change it.

-You have put properly where I think it should be probably.

I stood from my stiff posture, off my bed

- not sure this sentence makes sense

Griped [s]at[/s]

Like I was the cello tape

- Don't get what you mean by this line.

He was 17, just a year older than me

- Needs the comma

Just another [s]reason on how much[/s] way he had changed

He said, his words slurring

- Needs the comma I inserted

Silient

- spelling error, I persumed it was meant to read, Silent

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sun May 03, 2009 8:14 pm
borntoshop says...

Thanks for your review, i have read it again and there is some
errors which i will fix.
:)
:D

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun May 03, 2009 9:14 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

I liked the story, borntoshop. I feel like it's been forever since I read your work. Nice job, as always. :) OK, here are some things I spotted:

Everything was quiet I couldn’t hear a sound, I felt empty. It was just me.

Okay, the bolded part seemed kind of out of place to me. I didn't really see the purpose in it. You should probably just nix it.

I sat up slowly,[/b] making every move seem like it was extremely hard.

I stood from my stiff posture, off my bed and started to walk towards the door.

The first part, before the comma sounds kind of odd. Maybe it could be something like this: I stood up, my posture was stiff. Then you could say: I made every move seem like it was extremely hard.

It started right at the pit of my stomach and hurried up until it reached my heart where it hurt the most. It felt like something was ripping me apart, and the only way that I could keep myself together was if I griped at my stomach and squeezed like I was the cello tape.

I really liked this part, except griped should be gripped.

I felt invisible, like I was slipping away and there was nothing I could grip onto to keep me here.

You said grip in the previous sentence so I think you could say: There was nothing I could hold onto to keep me there. Also, the 'here' should be 'there' since you are writing in past tense.

I walked down the long narrow hallway of our house , which I hadn’t seen in days, a week even.

It hurt to breathe; it felt like something was clogged at the top of my throat, cutting of my oxygen supply.

This was a good sentence. :)

My eyes felt sore and dry, they had no moisture left in them. I blinked a couple of times to get some back.

He was 17

You should spell out the number

even though he was supposed to be doing his homework.

If you're are going to put a full stop before this you should change it to: He was supposed to be doing his homework.

Alrighty, this was good. I really enjoyed it. I like the ending. Maybe you could give Anna more of a personality, however. Anyways, good luck! I enjoyed this.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Mon May 04, 2009 12:18 am
Carlito says...

borntoshop wrote:The light seeped through the slightly a-jar curtains.

So the opening line.
It has nice imagery and everything and opens the story well but it doesn't really have that 'Wow, I want to read to at least the end of the paragraph' factor.
It's a good opening, so you would be fine not changing it, I'm just saying :)

borntoshop wrote:I sat up slowly making every move seem like it was extremely hard. I sat on the edge of my bed. I stood from my stiff posture, off my bed and started to walk towards the door.

Really nit picky but I don't like this repetition of 'bed' and the underlined phrase annoys me. It's too much like, I did this, then I did this, and then I did that.

borntoshop wrote: The only feeling I had inside of me was grief. It started right at the pit of my stomach and hurried up until it reached my heart where it hurt the most. It felt like something was ripping me apart, and the only way that I could keep myself together was if I griped at my stomach and squeezed like I was the cello tape. I felt invisible like I was slipping away and there was nothing I could grip onto to keep me here. I walked down the long narrow hallway of our house which I hadn’t seen in days, a week even. It hurt to breathe it felt like something was clogged at the top of my throat cutting of my oxygen supply.

This is really good description. Like seriously, amazingly good.
You capture this intense feeling of grief so well.

borntoshop wrote:I woke up to the smell of roast chicken; the smell filled me up like a tidal wave. And I suddenly realised ((realized)) how hungry I was.

borntoshop wrote:“Wow! Was that thunder?” my dad said jokingly as he looked over at me. I gave him a weak smile and walked over towards the kitchen. Everyone was in there own world[s]s[/s], my mum was humming to herself in the kitchen which I could faintly make out as being ‘hard days night’ by the Beatles.

borntoshop wrote: Her hair was pulled neatly into a bun, and she had her apron on which was slightly messy. She gave me a smile when she saw me, I tried to give one back but it didn’t belong on my face so I nodded. My dad was sitting at the table waiting for his dinner, he had his plate, knife and fork out already and was reading the paper, properly ((probably?)) the jokes or the movie list.

borntoshop wrote:He was 17((,)) just a year older than me, and he had been changing in front of my eyes.

borntoshop wrote:He sat there just across from me with his hoodie up over his head looking at the TV; I couldn’t even see any part of his face that I recognise. ((recognize))

borntoshop wrote: He use to be so kind and caring, he never use to care what people thought about him. He was fun. Now all I saw was a too-cool-for-school mopey teenager, who properly ((probably?)) took drugs and hated the world. He never talks to me anymore; he might give me a grunt if we bump into each other in the hallway. But that’s it. I miss him!

borntoshop wrote:I felt the tears prick the corner of my eyes and fall down my cheek. He was looking at me now, and for a second I thought he was going to apologise ((apologize)) but he just said,

borntoshop wrote:You are out all hours of the night you get drunk and properly ((probably? :))) take drugs!”

borntoshop wrote:It sounded like he was walking towards the kitchen and after he fell over a couple more time, and swore a lot it went silient. ((silent))

Nice ending :)
I really liked this story. You captured the overall emotion extremely well and I really liked that. Just a couple of spelling and grammar errors but I'm still going to give you a gold star :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:56 am
Rascalover says...

Everything was quiet I couldn’t hear a sound, I felt empty.

There should be a comma between quiet and I

I sat up slowly making every move seem like it was extremely hard.

A comma between slowly and making

I sat on the edge of my bed. I stood from my stiff posture, off my bed and started to walk towards the door.

This should be re-worded, simply because it's like saying I did this then this and now Im doing this. Also both sentences start with I making it feel weird to read, and redundant.

It started right at the pit of my stomach and hurried up until it reached my heart where it hurt the most.

A comma is needed between heart and where.

I felt invisible like I was slipping away and there was nothing I could grip onto to keep me here.

I feel like you say the word liek too much. I know this is because you are using similes, but try using as or maybe even a metaphor:) a comma needs to be placed between away and and.

It hurt to breathe it felt like something was clogged at the top of my throat cutting of my oxygen supply.

A semi-colon needs to be between breathe and it.

I couldn’t handle it any more I collapsed at the top of the stairs in a bundle of tears, and clasped my hands over my stomach desperately trying to hold myself together.

You have a ton of run-on sentences here. Trying combining them with conjunctions or semi-colons or make them their own sentences in this case that's what i would do. put a period after more.

I knew it was a voice that used to make me feel happy to hear, it sounded like bells ringing, birds whistling, making everything seem brighter.

a semi-colon needs to be between hear and it instead of a comma.

But I only wanted to hear one voice and I couldn’t, not now, not ever again.

A comma between voice and and

And I suddenly realised how hungry I was.

Never start a sentence with and, but or because. Also realized not realised; probably just a silly typo :)

My eyes felt sore and dry, they had no moisture left in them I blinked a couple of times to get some back.

a semi-colon between dry and they not a comma, and a comma between them and I

The pain in me was still there but it was dulled from the rumble that came out of my stomach, which said I was hungry.

A comma between there and but

There were lots more run-ons and comma mistakes. If you want me to point them out then pm me, but with a quick look through on your own I think you could pick up where I left off. It seems as though the other reviewers were nit picky too. So onto the story line

Overall: i really liked this piece. You use description well. And the surprise element of her brother was shocking. Geart job on that!

Thanks for requesting a review I hope it was helpful :)

-Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

Memories, left untranslated, can be disowned; memories untranslatable can become someone else’s story.
— YiYun Li